Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura financing incentives vs Kelly Blue Book price

GboyinfinityGboyinfinity Member Posts: 1
edited August 2019 in Acura
We're evaluating an offer for a new 2019 Acura MDX w/ Advance Package. After adding a couple of xtra options, the MSRP is $60,815. As we all know, you often never pay the full MSRP and the dealership usually comes down in price. I use Kelly Blue Book (KBB) to get a Fair Purchase Price and, for this car, the KBB indicated Fair Purchase Price is $53,322. So to get this price, the dealership would have to come down by about $7500.

Now, the dealership presented an offer that was built around a $10,000 'incentive' off of the MSRP price but only if we were to finance the car through Acura. We can pay the loan off after 6 months - so this effectively would mean adding 6 months of interest payments to the cost (that adds up to about $1200). So, if we were to go through the process of financing, this offer represents the dealership coming down by about $8800.

My questions are:

- Should I consider this 'incentive' as the expected reduction in price from the MSRP that the dealership usually offers (as mentioned in paragraph 1 above)?
- Or should I negotiate a price independent of any financing incentives and continue to target a fair market price in my negotiations?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153

We're evaluating an offer for a new 2019 Acura MDX w/ Advance Package. After adding a couple of xtra options, the MSRP is $60,815. As we all know, you often never pay the full MSRP and the dealership usually comes down in price. I use Kelly Blue Book (KBB) to get a Fair Purchase Price and, for this car, the KBB indicated Fair Purchase Price is $53,322. So to get this price, the dealership would have to come down by about $7500.

Now, the dealership presented an offer that was built around a $10,000 'incentive' off of the MSRP price but only if we were to finance the car through Acura. We can pay the loan off after 6 months - so this effectively would mean adding 6 months of interest payments to the cost (that adds up to about $1200). So, if we were to go through the process of financing, this offer represents the dealership coming down by about $8800.

My questions are:

- Should I consider this 'incentive' as the expected reduction in price from the MSRP that the dealership usually offers (as mentioned in paragraph 1 above)?
    - Or should I negotiate a price independent of any financing incentives and continue to target a fair market price in my negotiations?

If you finance, the dealer gets $4000 more than they would, otherwise.

So, you'd be crazy not to finance.
    And, you can payoff in 90 days, I'm sure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator