Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    edited August 2019
    fintail said:

It'd be interesting to see car theft rates between the "great" days of the past and today, as well. Maybe not as great as the more experienced generation endlessly pines on about.

Regarding car theft, a fun new trend is spoofed keyless entry/start systems.

You got a point there, in the old days we didn't have have the likes of the James Brothers, Billy the Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Al Capone, road bandits, pirates and the such.

Checked a few sources and found in 1969(when even I could hot wire a car) there were 813 thefts per 100,000 cars. In 2017 that number had dropped to about 238.

Sounds like you young whipper snappers are either a more honest bunch or modern anti-theft tech is just too much for you.

For what it’s worth I still don’t lock my car or house but I’d be stupid to leave keys in the car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    A few years back a neighbor, who doesn't lock his truck, left his garage opener in it. When he went to leave for work, I guess the garage was a bit less cluttered.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

In the old days people were more creative. Get some sheet metal and fabricate a shield so the oil won’t hit the alternator.

A six pack of beer might come in handy too.

Actually, I thought about trying to do that. I watch Macgyver too, ya know.;-)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,488
    I say, if you want to milk along old cars to save money, you better be handy!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    jipster said:

Any you guys have 2 grand I can borrow? I have a very nice vacuum cleaner I could use as collateral.

Dealership says valve cover gasket is not leaking on alternator, the timing cover is. Would have to drop the engine and transmission. 14 hours of labor. Car is.probably worth $6 or $7k private party. So maybe I'll just stock up on alternators to replace when they become fouled.:-(

It looks like a big job for sure. Listen to this guy's experience starting around the 3 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/CrQVPfniviQ?t=170

If it is just the timing cover leak and not loose timing chain causing the other issues maybe you can find the spot where it is leaking and after a good cleaning apply some gasket goop?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

I never use voice controls. Never even occurs to me to try. I did once in my sonata for Navi, and that was a total pain. Not worth the effort. Only use it in the TLX when car play is up to talk to Siri and send texts.

Since I had some work done on the Ford and they erased all the presets I’ve used the voice thingy more and more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

thebean said:

Ever since Texas outlawed red light cameras, it’s become a veritable free-for-all at stoplights. I’ve seen 5 cars going through AFTER the light turned to red. Normally, I see 2-3 going through every red light after it turns at high volume intersections. I know there were problems with the cameras, but I really think they solved way more problems than they created. Unless you have a squad car parked at these high volume places, people are just going to charge on through since there is no deterrent. It’s really sad that people can’t obey the law these days. What’s next? Just walking out of stores with merchandise because they didn’t want to take the time to pay? With the minuscule number of checkers in most stores, it doesn’t appear to be hard to so, unless you take something worth $100 or more with a tag on it. Even then, most employees just ignore the alarm and continue on with what they are doing across the store.

Truly, I weep for the future of society and I’m glad I’ll probably be checking out in 5-10 years.

That’s nothing, I see people where I live ride down the shoulder passing multiple cars with their right turn signal on and make a right on red without even slowing down. It’s frustrating when someone uses your law abidingness (is that a word?) to flaunt the law. I secretly hope that someone would swing out and clip those drivers as they go by.

As to walking out without paying, some cities in CA won’t prosecute theft under $750 if the person is poor and the items are “necessities”.

Weep indeed.
    Where can you go on a shoulder to make a right turn? I'm curious where this road is? Sounds odd.
    A lot of roads around here you can go on the shoulder to pass cars stopped at a light.
    In NY that would be illegal. Being illegal stops almost no one.

jipster said:

Any you guys have 2 grand I can borrow? I have a very nice vacuum cleaner I could use as collateral.

Dealership says valve cover gasket is not leaking on alternator, the timing cover is. Would have to drop the engine and transmission. 14 hours of labor. Car is.probably worth $6 or $7k private party. So maybe I'll just stock up on alternators to replace when they become fouled.:-(

So now the work has gone from 7 hours to 14 hours?

I had a Toyota once that leaked power steering fluid on the alternator. Replaced 7 of them before I fixed a piece of metal over the alternator so it would run off to the side. Just kept the PS topped off.

What’s the status of the “timing issue”? I checked out those VCT solenoids and found price to replace runs from $200 to $600.

Yeah, I’m not trying that!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Funny, I seldom use mine as I usually know where I am going, but I like having the map up. It's generally on from the time the ICE boots up until I shut off the car.
    ab348 said:

As I've posted previously, I seem allergic to nav. Maybe if it was on-screen all the time I would figure it out though.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Interesting. Probably more of the latter, and to those who keep their keyless entry/start keys near the door, get a Faraday bag.

My mom lives in podunk, but locks everything always, as there's a tweaker issue in that part of the world. I don't lock my old car, as the prior owner lost the key, and the expense of having it re-keyed isn't worth it. There's nothing valuable in the car, stealing it would be ridiculous - I'd rather have someone open the door and look than break a window to do so.

Checked a few sources and found in 1969(when even I could hot wire a car) there were 813 thefts per 100,000 cars. In 2017 that number had dropped to about 238.

Sounds like you young whipper snappers are either a more honest bunch or modern anti-theft tech is just too much for you.

For what it’s worth I still don’t lock my car or house but I’d be stupid to leave keys in the car.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That time of year again and I spent lunchtime at Ag Progress Days with all the other vehicle shoppers :)

Farmer, why not just reset the presets? That’s so easy, even driver could do it.

ab348 said:

jipster said:

It looks like a big job for sure. Listen to this guy's experience starting around the 3 minute mark:

If it is just the timing cover leak and not loose timing chain causing the other issues maybe you can find the spot where it is leaking and after a good cleaning apply some gasket goop?
    ab348 said:

jipster said:

Yeah, that's a major league job. I'm more in in the minor leagues.Maybe double A. Gasket.Goop worth a try. Don't think it's worth repairing. I can see some oil on my alternator. Doesn't look nearly as bad as it had before though.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    jipster said:

ab348 said:

jipster said:

ab348 said:

jipster said:

Yeah, that's a major league job. I'm more in in the minor leagues.Maybe double A. Gasket.Goop worth a try. Don't think it's worth repairing. I can see some oil on my alternator. Doesn't look nearly as bad as it had before though.
    It usually doesn't when you keep wiping it off. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    berri said:

A few years back a neighbor, who doesn't lock his truck, left his garage opener in it. When he went to leave for work, I guess the garage was a bit less cluttered.

Our garage door openers are small fobs on our key chains. That means if we take our keys with us we also take the opener.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

andres3 said:

thebean said:

Ever since Texas outlawed red light cameras, it’s become a veritable free-for-all at stoplights. I’ve seen 5 cars going through AFTER the light turned to red. Normally, I see 2-3 going through every red light after it turns at high volume intersections. I know there were problems with the cameras, but I really think they solved way more problems than they created. Unless you have a squad car parked at these high volume places, people are just going to charge on through since there is no deterrent. It’s really sad that people can’t obey the law these days. What’s next? Just walking out of stores with merchandise because they didn’t want to take the time to pay? With the minuscule number of checkers in most stores, it doesn’t appear to be hard to so, unless you take something worth $100 or more with a tag on it. Even then, most employees just ignore the alarm and continue on with what they are doing across the store.

Truly, I weep for the future of society and I’m glad I’ll probably be checking out in 5-10 years.

That’s nothing, I see people where I live ride down the shoulder passing multiple cars with their right turn signal on and make a right on red without even slowing down. It’s frustrating when someone uses your law abidingness (is that a word?) to flaunt the law. I secretly hope that someone would swing out and clip those drivers as they go by.

As to walking out without paying, some cities in CA won’t prosecute theft under $750 if the person is poor and the items are “necessities”.

Weep indeed.
    Where can you go on a shoulder to make a right turn? I'm curious where this road is? Sounds odd.
    A lot of roads around here you can go on the shoulder to pass cars stopped at a light.
    In NY that would be illegal. Being illegal stops almost no one.
    It's illegal here too, but as you say it stops no one.

However I have seen potholes on the shoulder stop people in spectacular ways.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

stickguy said:

I never use voice controls. Never even occurs to me to try. I did once in my sonata for Navi, and that was a total pain. Not worth the effort. Only use it in the TLX when car play is up to talk to Siri and send texts.

Since I had some work done on the Ford and they erased all the presets I’ve used the voice thingy more and more.
    How many presets are you missing? I can understand memory for radio, clock, seat settings, navi memory stuff....but, what did they lose that they shouldn't replace for you...or you can easily reset?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

Farmer, why not just reset the presets? That’s so easy, even driver could do it.

Yeh, even I can find all my radio stations again. In fact, I have lost them on the home radio so many times I listed them. The clock I can do too!

stickguy said:

Pure laziness.

that is an excuse I can work with!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    @oldfarmer50,
    Why do you even have preset stations on that car? When I brought my Mustang home, the first thing I did was put the antenna in the trunk. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

jipster said:

I had a Toyota once that leaked power steering fluid on the alternator. Replaced 7 of them before I fixed a piece of metal over the alternator so it would run off to the side. Just kept the PS topped off.

What’s the status of the “timing issue”? I checked out those VCT solenoids and found price to replace runs from $200 to $600.
    That was the Mercury Milan that needed 7 hours for an engine tear.down. This is Mrs. Jipsters 2011 Hyundai Veracruz that needs 14 hours. So almost a full day of labor between between the two.

The latest on the Milan, I finally got an estimate.from the service advisor for a left and right VCT solenoid for $427. I think that is something I could do myself if I could find some decent information.

I was looking at that alternator a.little while ago, and yes jmonroe, this time I wiped some oil off. Wanted to leave it on before so dealership could see it. Thought it may better to leave the oil on...let that oil cake up on the alternator, instead of going inside. But... it is very tight where that alternator sits, I can barely see anything underneath it. Seems someone would come up with a cheap viable fix.

@oldfarmer50,
    Why do you even have preset stations on that car? When I brought my Mustang home, the first thing I did was put the antenna in the trunk. :)

I couldn't put the antenna away on any car as we have one heck of a station here in Chicago. For those familiar with MeTV they have a great radio station that would appeal to most people here. Classic rock that's not to hard with a massive play list.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Does any one have experience with Amazon Flex? While watching a CNBC documentary they mentioned a program where Amazon uses private drivers --with their private cars -- to deliver packages for the last mile to achieve their same day delivery service.

They also mentioned that drivers make between $18 to $25 an hour picking up and delivering delivering packages. Compared to Uber this seems like a less risky hustle but given Amazon's penchant for on time deliveries and over-working its employees that sounds like a bad deal.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    edited August 2019
    I have experience only insofar as I have used their same day delivery service and seen packages delivered exactly as you describe.

Amazon delivery drivers have a pretty rough go - they track your metrics closely and if you aren't moving as quickly as they think you should be, they'll let you go. Think: no bathroom breaks. I try not to use same day delivery for just these reasons - only in pinch. For example, we lost all cold water to one of our sinks the other day and the only place that had the part in-stock was amazon and they had it for same-day delivery. I took it, but felt bad about it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    In my opinion, Amazon is the new “salt mine”. My stepson worked there for a year and finally couldn’t stand the constant pressure to do more, more, more. I order from them only when I absolutely have to, when other stores don’t have what I need.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    Ford's Dual-Clutch Transmission Continues To Be A Disaster
    Ford’s dual-clutch transmission, code-named DPS6 and used in its Fiesta and Focus, has been troubled for years. It’s the subject of a potential $4 billion lawsuit. It had Ford secretly telling dealers to fix it. Worse, Ford reportedly knew it was bad for years and failed to make fixes. Ford said today it would be extending warranties on some Fiestas and Focuses because of it, in what has surely been an utterly humiliating episode for the Blue Oval.

Like to treat all car makers equally to be fair and balanced.

FULL ARTICLE JALOPNIK

edited August 2019
    @driver100,
    I'll see your Ford transmission lawsuit and raise you BMW, Daimler and VW(May 2019). :)
    https://insideevs.com/news/348263/vw-bmw-daimler-collusion-emissions/

Could have kept my Mom's Fiesta with that transmission, but I hated it other than when you got on the highway into top gear. That was the only thing it was any good at. Any normal driving, it was horrible.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You just upped the game from civil to criminal!

@driver100,
    I'll see your Ford transmission lawsuit and raise you BMW, Daimler and VW(May 2019). :)
    https://insideevs.com/news/348263/vw-bmw-daimler-collusion-emissions/

Could have kept my Mom's Fiesta with that transmission, but I hated it other than when you got on the highway into top gear. That was the only thing it was any good at. Any normal driving, it was horrible.

That article on the German manufacturers seems to take several leaps in reaching its conclusions. But of course Germany has its own way of doing things so who knows.

@ab348,
    I knew someone who was in the room at the C level meetings during the GM ignition fiasco, which actually resulted in a lot of people dying. It was right out of the typical corporate playbook.

@oldfarmer50,

That’s the problem, I usually just listen to the exhaust note instead of the radio so I forget how to do it. Anyway, you guys guilted me into trying to reprogram the presets. Turns out I had no clue how and the owner’s manual was useless. Called the dealer and was embarrassed at how easy it was.

I also changed the clock on the Kia after some trial and error.

At this rate I might try texting next.

This was another BMW day. We had to go to the dealer, put plates an registration stickers on a bunch of new X3s then drive them to Vermont. Might be a good time to buy a BMW if they have so many on the lots they are selling them to rental companies.

Finally, today I inadvertently did a Roadburner move on the way home from work. I goosed the Ford in a roundabout to get out of the way of another car and the thing overcame the stability control to drift around and out the other side. Surprised me because the stability nannie is pretty strict. Usually I can’t spin the wheels more than a chirp unless I turn it off.

Fun though.

bwia said:

Does any one have experience with Amazon Flex? While watching a CNBC documentary they mentioned a program where Amazon uses private drivers --with their private cars -- to deliver packages for the last mile to achieve their same day delivery service.

They also mentioned that drivers make between $18 to $25 an hour picking up and delivering delivering packages. Compared to Uber this seems like a less risky hustle but given Amazon's penchant for on time deliveries and over-working its employees that sounds like a bad deal.

Some of the guys at work also do that kind of work. I forget what the companies are called but they act like couriers in their own cars. I guess Wal-Mart and Home Depot use them for home delivery sub contractors for small items.

$18-25 an hour sounds like the gross on a job like that. Net depends on how much your vehicle deprecates. One guy put 31k miles on his new Cr-V in one year. I bet his net is less than $18.

My theory on that is the same as for Uber. You only make money if you can find a fully deprecated older car and hope for few routine repairs. Maybe if you had a hand me down low mile Toyota you could make a go of it.

If my son didn’t have a rich father feeding him one low mile hooptie after another I don’t think he could sustain the model.

edited August 2019
    jipster said:

jipster said:

That was the Mercury Milan that needed 7 hours for an engine tear.down. This is Mrs. Jipsters 2011 Hyundai Veracruz that needs 14 hours. So almost a full day of labor between between the two.

The latest on the Milan, I finally got an estimate.from the service advisor for a left and right VCT solenoid for $427. I think that is something I could do myself if I could find some decent information.

I was looking at that alternator a.little while ago, and yes jmonroe, this time I wiped some oil off. Wanted to leave it on before so dealership could see it. Thought it may better to leave the oil on...let that oil cake up on the alternator, instead of going inside. But... it is very tight where that alternator sits, I can barely see anything underneath it. Seems someone would come up with a cheap viable fix.
    I see. Maybe you should list your fleet so we don’t get confused. Anyway, my recommendation stands—fix some sort of diversion shield over the alternator and keep the oil topped off. 14 hours of work sounds like a rip off. 10 cents worth of plastic and a couple of screws is all you need.

driver100 said:

Ford's Dual-Clutch Transmission Continues To Be A Disaster
    Ford’s dual-clutch transmission, code-named DPS6 and used in its Fiesta and Focus, has been troubled for years. It’s the subject of a potential $4 billion lawsuit. It had Ford secretly telling dealers to fix it. Worse, Ford reportedly knew it was bad for years and failed to make fixes. Ford said today it would be extending warranties on some Fiestas and Focuses because of it, in what has surely been an utterly humiliating episode for the Blue Oval.

Like to treat all car makers equally to be fair and balanced.

FULL ARTICLE JALOPNIK

No doubt Ford screwed the pooch with that one but the trannies in question were built by a German company (not sure if they were a Ford subsidiary). I understand other companies have had problems with dual clutch transmissions as well. Others have had disasters with CVTs. The American company will always get the bad press though.

The DPS6 transmission Ford used was made by Ford and GETRAG. PT, known until 2018 as GETRAG (German:) is the world's largest supplier of transmission systems for passenger cars and commercial vehicles.

The cars, many of which randomly lose power on freeways and have unexpectedly bolted into intersections, were put on sale in 2010-11 as the nation emerged from the Great Recession. At least 1.5 million remain on the road and continue to torment their owners — and Ford.

The automaker pushed past company lawyers’ early safety questions and a veteran development engineer’s warning that the cars weren’t roadworthy, internal emails and documents show. Ford then declined, after the depth of the problem was obvious, to make an expensive change in the transmission technology.

The point being....no one was getting hurt by diesels that didn't meet omissions rules....people could get killed or injured in a car with a faulty transmission.

Ford didn't take responsibility for a very serious flaw.

driver100 said:

The DPS6 transmission Ford used was made by Ford and GETRAG. PT, known until 2018 as GETRAG (German:) is the world's largest supplier of transmission systems for passenger cars and commercial vehicles.

The cars, many of which randomly lose power on freeways and have unexpectedly bolted into intersections, were put on sale in 2010-11 as the nation emerged from the Great Recession. At least 1.5 million remain on the road and continue to torment their owners — and Ford.

The automaker pushed past company lawyers’ early safety questions and a veteran development engineer’s warning that the cars weren’t roadworthy, internal emails and documents show. Ford then declined, after the depth of the problem was obvious, to make an expensive change in the transmission technology.

The point being....no one was getting hurt by diesels that didn't meet omissions rules....people could get killed or injured in a car with a faulty transmission.

Ford didn't take responsibility for a very serious flaw.

I think that’s an exaggeration but as I said, Ford screwed the pooch. Dumb, dumb bean counting almost on a scale with the Pinto.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    driver100 said:

I think quite a few people got hurt by VW diesel scandal, just slowly and cumulatively, their injuries are not immediately visible or obvious. Remember, we are not talking 20 or even 50 percent emission over limits, it was up to forty times. Mind you there are something like tens of times more faulty diesels in Europe and VW flipped those owners big fat bird when things got uncovered.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925
    driver100 said:

The cars, many of which randomly lose power on freeways and have unexpectedly bolted into intersections

I’d really like to read the technical explanation on that second claim. I can’t seem to imagine how a transmission could cause a car to jump forward while the engine is at idle speed and the brake is being pressed.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited August 2019
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

I think quite a few people got hurt by VW diesel scandal, just slowly and cumulatively, their injuries are not immediately visible or obvious. Remember, we are not talking 20 or even 50 percent emission over limits, it was up to forty times. Mind you there are something like tens of times more faulty diesels in Europe and VW flipped those owners big fat bird when things got uncovered.

That makes you think, if a vehicle can exceed limits by 40 times, how much cleaner are modern cars than they were back before pollution became an issue?

I was following a 1955 Chevy Belair down the road the other day and could smell it long before I got near it.

About VW diesel emissions.....don't lawn mowers, trucks, buses and everything else emit huge amounts of pollutants? And, if governments make the standards impossible to obtain - what good are standards?
    A safety issue with a bucking transmission is much more obtrusive in your life......I would find that impossible to live with.

driver100 said:

About VW diesel emissions.....don't lawn mowers, trucks, buses and everything else emit huge amounts of pollutants? And, if governments make the standards impossible to obtain - what good are standards?
    A safety issue with a bucking transmission is much more obtrusive in your life......I would find that impossible to live with.

I do believe that busses and semi trucks do have emission standards they have to meet. As for lawn mowers they dont use much gas, I may go through a gallon of gas a year mowing my lawn. they Sebring will use that up on one round trip to work.

I would like to know how much pollutants are put out by recreational use of boats and two cycle land power sports.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited August 2019

I would like to know how much pollutants are put out by recreational use of boats and two cycle land power sports.

Add into that private airplanes in noncommercial use, propeller and jet.

Weren't there pollution standards being imposed onto 2-cycle engines. Several years back I bought ,myself a Christmas present and then birthday present of power equipment and shopping I found that engines were modified to meet pollution requirements then being imposed by gov't.

We were headed toward having catalytic converters on our lawn mowers...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

driver100 said:

Diesel buses and trucks now have DEF fluid injectors and particulate screens which make them much cleaner. Even lawn mowers have some sort of catalytic system on them. My latest lawn tractor doesn’t dirty the oil because of this and I can go a full season without changing it whereas before I had to do 25 running hour changes. I normally grumble about regulations but this one was a plus.

Add into that private airplanes in noncommercial use, propeller and jet.

Weren't there pollution standards being imposed onto 2-cycle engines. Several years back I bought ,myself a Christmas present and then birthday present of power equipment and shopping I found that engines were modified to meet pollution requirements then being imposed by gov't.

We were headed toward having catalytic converters on our lawn mowers...

Not sure about pollution standards but the very nature of the 2 stroke engine makes them heavy polluters. Since the combustion stroke is also the exhaust stroke a lot of unburned fuel is expelled in the exhaust.

The rotary engine had the same issue and because of that it couldn't meet European emissions standards and was discontinued.

edited August 2019

jipster said:

jipster said:

I see. Maybe you should list your fleet so we don’t get confused. Anyway, my recommendation stands—fix some sort of diversion shield over the alternator and keep the oil topped off. 14 hours of work sounds like a rip off. 10 cents worth of plastic and a couple of screws is all you need.
    More good news from the fleet. Took son's Mercury Milan in to Meineke for a $19.99 oil change.... you know where this is heading? The brake fluid was low, I suspected it would need new brakes. Needs new pads and rotors all around, and front tie rods, alignment...AND new wiper blades! Total $1,072. :'(

Manager said he wouldn't replace the VCT solenoid since the car was running well. Don't know. Mrs. Jip wants to bail on the fleet and buy new. The ole Jipster to wants to stay the course.
    That seems like an awful lot of money for pads, rotors and tie rod ends.

edited August 2019
    ab348 said:

That seems like an awful lot of money for pads, rotors and tie rod ends.

Brakes, pads, rotors were $574
    Alignment $99
    Tie rod s $216
    Shop supplies $63.56 ....dang....that's a lot for paper towels.
    Then the wiper blades.

The $19.99 oil change only ended up costing $29.56. Had a oil filter recycling fee on there, and an extra quart of oil.

Yeah, that is a lot $$$. Think I'll take the estimate to my independent guy and see if he can do better. Friend says brakes and the rods are easy. But I really don't want.to mess with brakes.
    Independent guy is $15 less on the brake job. $50 MORE for the tie rods.