Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks for the impressions @28firefighter ...just what I was looking for.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Probably not a smart idea, but I ran the RDX through carvana. $15,100. Definitely not expecting that. If the plan was to get rid of it when the wife got her new car, we would be out shopping this weekend. Certainly held value. I only paid $32 k 7 years ago, next month.

That's $15K in your pocket! Start shopping before that RDX depreciates anymore.
    I ran the scheme plan past the wife (sell RDX, pay off rest of equity loan used to finance college, lease new for her, have monthly payments go way down, and put difference into a savings account to pay for car at end of lease). She was, well, less than receptive. Does not really want a lease (though I explained it would be a lease to buy). Plus, she figured if y'all people supported it, must be a bad plan!

next step, start stopping at a few dealers when we happen to be out and about, just to scope out options on the short list.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    You make a point, @benjaminh. I was more comparing fit, finish, features on an Accord Sport vs. TLX A-Spec because they're in two different classes if you look at list price.

I may try and get out to Bellevue and drive one again, but the idea of needing to go to the dealership closest to me for service or warranty issues is downright bothersome.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

Probably not a smart idea, but I ran the RDX through carvana. $15,100. Definitely not expecting that. If the plan was to get rid of it when the wife got her new car, we would be out shopping this weekend. Certainly held value. I only paid $32 k 7 years ago, next month.

I ran the scheme plan past the wife (sell RDX, pay off rest of equity loan used to finance college, lease new for her, have monthly payments go way down, and put difference into a savings account to pay for car at end of lease). She was, well, less than receptive. Does not really want a lease (though I explained it would be a lease to buy). Plus, she figured if y'all people supported it, must be a bad plan!

next step, start stopping at a few dealers when we happen to be out and about, just to scope out options on the short list.
    What's your interest rate on the HELOC? Is it more than the money factor you'd be paying on a lease?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

You make a point, @benjaminh. I was more comparing fit, finish, features on an Accord Sport vs. TLX A-Spec because they're in two different classes if you look at list price.

I may try and get out to Bellevue and drive one again, but the idea of needing to go to the dealership closest to me for service or warranty issues is downright bothersome.

I think the service department at your closer Acura dealer will be happy to service a TLX bought at another dealer. And maybe the service dept. doesn't have the issues that sales seems to have? Warranty work is unlikely on a Honda or Acura, but both Honda and Acura stand behind their vehicles no matter what dealer you go to in my experience. For instance, we got a better deal on our CR-V at a Honda dealer that's farther away from us, but we service it and get warranty work done at the Honda dealer closer to use. 0 issues. They are happy for the business.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    benjaminh said:

I think the service department at your closer Acura dealer will be happy to service a TLX bought at another dealer. And maybe the service dept. doesn't have the issues that sales seems to have? Warranty work is unlikely on a Honda or Acura, but both Honda and Acura stand behind their vehicles no matter what dealer you go to in my experience. For instance, we got a better deal on our CR-V at a Honda dealer that's farther away from us, but we service it and get warranty work done at the Honda dealer closer to use. 0 issues. They are happy for the business.
    My point was more that I don't WANT to give them my business - warranty or otherwise. It was that poor of an experience.
    edited August 2019

Seems like overall the Accord works better for you anyway?

But if the TLX turned out to be better for you after another test drive, then imho driving to Bellevue a couple of times a year even for service seems like it would be worth it. My TLX is so fun for me to drive that honestly I think up excuses to drive more, and plan road trips I wouldn't have otherwise.

PS Since you own a BMW, I think that might qualify you for the additional $1250 loyalty/conquest lease incentive on the TLX V-6. Combined with the already existing lease incentive from Acura that's a big $10k off to start, plus you might be able to get another c. $3k or so off of msrp. And so with $13k off of the original msrp I think the price difference with the Accord 2.0 Sport is only maybe c. $4k or so?
    28, I had a similar terrible experience at the Acura dealer close to me when shopping (really it was the particular salesguy I think, might have gone better if I had talked to SM directly). But, I swore them off for good. Even though it turned out that when I pivoted to a red A spec, they had 4 of them in stock!

but when I had my (defective) battery go bad 2 months later, they were the closest dealer to take it in to. Service experience, night and day. They were phenomenal. I use the other local dealer (a little further away) for the RDX but plan to take the TLX back to this place since they already have it on file, and it is a little more convenient.

nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

nyccarguy said:

stickguy said:

What's your interest rate on the HELOC? Is it more than the money factor you'd be paying on a lease?
    it's adjustable (a line, not a loan) so not sure but I think about 4%, so probably more than a lease MF. So technically I would save on interest doing this. and seriously improve cash flow! Or more accurately, instead of putting money into savings by paying off the HELOC, I would be putting it into an account.

mostly it was a scheme to see if I could get the wife to bite! And was nice to know the RDX was seriously holding its resale value.

That is insane resale on the RDX. Good golly.
    well,, Carvana sometimes is your friend. I suspect if I went to a dealer today and tried to trade it in the offer is coming in way low.

that purchase means they plan to sell it for 18k. It's nice and miles are good, but still, seems high to me.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,071
    I would run to Carvana to take that offer. It's a 7 year old vehicle! You should carefully consider all aspects of your options - pay off HELOC, use it as a down on a new vehicle, whatever - but I think this is a sign that it is time to make a move.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    Same reason I sold the Mustang to them - I was indifferent about keeping it and I knew I’d never get that much from any other dealer.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    @stickguy
    It's time. Start shopping... If you want a Volvo I know most of the tri state dealers on a first name basis right now.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I think I need to agree with everyone here, not just as an enabler. I would take that offer before they come to their senses...
    it is a good value. but, whatever replaces it (if we made a move now) is likely to depreciate harder in the next couple of years. And it only makes sense to do it if leasing, which we are not planning to do for the next family car (a lease to buy out is always a possibility, but can be a tough sell to "the boss"). If we traded it in on a buy, then we end up with another big payment that we don't want.

Plus of course, there is the concept of keeping it around as the 2nd car after my lease goes away.

it would be nice of course if I got the quote because it was actually the right time to be making a move and it was going anyway!

tjc78 said:

@stickguy
    It's time. Start shopping... If you want a Volvo I know most of the tri state dealers on a first name basis right now.

I do too from one search or another. Any chance there are amazing lease deals on an XC60 loaner? Probably not, because buying one for $40k still leaves a big gap after the trade in!

• DaverceeDavercee Member Posts: 101
    "Probably not, because buying one for $40k still leaves a big gap after the trade in!"

Those are words of advice, right there.
    stickguy said:

....a lease to buy out is always a possibility, but can be a tough sell to "the boss"....

You might mention to her that sometimes incentives are available for leases that aren't available for purchases, which as you know makes the "lease to buy option" the better deal.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    I'll also back everyone else and say you should strike while the iron is hot.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Especially since its the end of the model year and incentives are likely reaching their peak level.

out of curiosity I checked cars.com. based on miles, price is pretty reasonable, compared to the ones listed. Maybe a bit strong, but not too much.

a more cost effective option would be to split the difference, and get something like the Q5 that (SDA?) just bought, a 2016. Still a nice upgrade, and would tide her over for 2 years, then when the TLX goes back I just inherit that instead, but get something fancier than a 10 YO RDX. If I could find the right option, that plan, could have legs. Might need a couple drinks over dinner before springing that one on her.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    Ok, I'm in too.

Stick, don't let us down, now...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

just poked around. man, I love this one. the colors, equipment, etc. Would never convince the wife of course. But I think if it just showed up at home, she would quickly get used to it!

Carvana makes it way too easy. they already have the trade info, and my documents from the last time. A couple of clicks and about 5 minutes later, just have to wait for the truck to show up with it!

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1251927

stickguy said:

just poked around. man, I love this one. the colors, equipment, etc. Would never convince the wife of course. But I think if it just showed up at home, she would quickly get used to it!

Carvana makes it way too easy. they already have the trade info, and my documents from the last time. A couple of clicks and about 5 minutes later, just have to wait for the truck to show up with it!

I think you'd want it a little more loaded up. Premium Plus or bust.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    stickguy said:

Man, I don't know how you can pass up that car. I'm going to be an enabler and say you better hurry up. Like their add says, "they are getting it ready for you". So you gotta make sure that is YOU and not someone like @breld. ;)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

stickguy said:

Plus blue with black interior is not a combo that I would care for, but that's just me.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    sb55 said:

17 year old tires are ticking time bombs. You should switch them out sooner than later.

Absolutely! And, on that car, new tires are going to be satisfyingly cheap (probably about $350 for a decent set, installed).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    sb55 said:

Michaell said:

Hey all!

Just spent the last 6 days in sunny SoCal, watching my son get married. Great girl, great ceremony, great reception.

Car related events during my visit:

My rental was a white over grey Toyota Camry SE - 15,xxx miles on it. I put 200 miles on it, and found it to be comfortable and competent. One nit to pick is that the adaptive cruise control is a bit abrupt in braking, and the CC shuts off at some low speed, so I had to manually restart it. Not fun on the 405. 6.6 gallons to refill it, so right at 30 MPG.

Saw a pale yellow BMW 7-series in Malibu. Looked like a factory color (!).

Got mom's '03 Sonata to pass the smog inspection. Took it out the day before and gave it an "Italian tune up"; lots of full throttle acceleration and got it up to 85 on a back road. Whatever it was, we solved the problem. There are a few things that I could see getting done - it pulls to the left pretty badly, and I suspect the tires may be in need of replacement based on time, not mileage. 38,xxx miles after almost 17 years. But, mom isn't driving any more and her caretaker (family friend) uses it to run mom's errands when necessary, so not a lot of miles.

The lease on my cousin's RX350 ended a few months back, and she replaced it with a CPO MB GLE350. Dark grey over black (in Bakersfield - wouldn't be my first choice!); nice car on the inside, and has the illuminated tri-star on the grille.

Here in Colorado, the Jetta goes back on Monday. The Outback gets service on Saturday, and apparently the windshield is cracked and will need to be replaced soon.

To answer the question posed earlier this week, the Outback gets 20-21 MPG in the city, and we've seen as high as 28MPG on the highway.

17 year old tires are ticking time bombs. You should switch them out sooner than later.
    Sorry that I didn't make this clear. The current tires on the Sonata are in fact the third set the car has had.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

Plus, she figured if y'all people supported it, must be a bad plan!

Damn; that woman is one sharp cookie! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2019

That is insane resale on the RDX. Good golly.

Similar on our Forester, TBH. I paid $23,000 for it in September of 2009. When it was totalled in March of 2017, with 108,500 miles, value was $12,000.

It is really nice when they hold value like that.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709

stickguy said:

Agreed. That's as plain-jane as you can get. Carvana offers up the original window sticker - if you haven't pulled that up yet (I just did), you'll see what we mean.

You'd be shocked at some of the features that aren't standard.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I'll have my own Carvana experience this afternoon - GTI is scheduled to be dropped off (and Miata taken away) between 5:00 and 5:30 MST.

I'll report back.

edited August 2019
    I've decided to take the afternoon off from work to try and recharge - haven't taken a true vacation day in 4 months (since Hawaii). What should I do? Any cars I haven't thought of I should try and sneak a test drive in?
    Mazda6 Signature.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    Ones on your list or in general?

If general, G70? Would love to get some impressions on that.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Oops. Wrong link. I found a 2017 premium plus, tech, B&O, side assist, and a few other things. Lighter blue over gray. $29k.

I mean, if we are talking about for fun...

I've decided to take the afternoon off from work to try and recharge - haven't taken a true vacation day in 4 months (since Hawaii). What should I do? Any cars I haven't thought of I should try and sneak a test drive in?

Tesla Model 3

Are you firm on a stick? That will cut way down on options. And definitely leasing, right?

stickguy said:

Oops. Wrong link. I found a 2017 premium plus, tech, B&O, side assist, and a few other things. Lighter blue over gray. $29k.

Better.
    pensfan83 said:

Ones on your list or in general?

If general, G70? Would love to get some impressions on that.

I'll see if I can find some locally - the Genesis franchise network is not overly impressive up here.
    Not that I want to rush into anything (cause you know, that's not me), but with my older son getting his license and ferrying himself and his younger brother around to the seemingly endless baseball activities, not to mention school itself, the days of wanting/needing a 3 row SUV will be coming to an end before too long.

Given I still like the SUV body style, perhaps something like this could be a suitable replacement?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783014983/overview/

Here’s the right one. Also, for Audi people, was 2018 a redesign, or just a mid run refresh? I notice they have a different nose.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1277468

I love this place - truly.

If it were an actual contender, so much the better. I was thinking about test driving a Tesla...
    Yes, 2018 was a redesign - different body style, new interior etc.
    Tesla store in South Lake Union does a loop from there up to and around Greenlake. Then back down on either I5 or back down 99 depending on traffic.

tifighter said:

Tesla store in South Lake Union does a loop from there up to and around Greenlake. Then back down on either I5 or back down 99 depending on traffic.

Good to know - was trying to avoid driving into the city. Just gave U Village a call to see if they have any openings.

Yes, 2018 was a redesign - different body style, new interior etc.

Thanks. Not sure what’s worse with an Audi. Old style/tech, or first year of a brand new design! I should go compare side to side. I have to go to dealer next week anyway, since my daughter is leaving her car for service.

Should stick with an X3. I know my wife won’t complain about that. She just hates Audi’s and VWs.

OK - so I'm going to try and get to a Genesis store, but they're not answering the phones, which is not promising. Tesla can't take me today except at 2:30 when I have to be home for a delivery, so that does not work. They made a point of saying that they only really allow drop-in test drives when people are looking to place an order in the near future.

Also someone asked if I was stuck on a stick - the answer is no, but I do think it will make it more likely I'll hang onto the car longer than if I don't. Plus, I think my window for buying a new car with a stick is dwindling rapidly.