Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

stickguy said:

are you looking for another convertible? Wait until the first snowflakes fall. That should help pricing in Chi town! And probably won't have to wait too long.

Yes she who must be obeyed wants another convertible. I, on the other hand, do not as we have the bike and use that most of the time when we would have the top down. So I am not sure if we would get enough use of the drop top to justify the added expense.
    How about this one? No struggling to get in and out for an old fella like you. :D

https://youtu.be/tlKXPNUpYLM
    Buy a Batman mask so the neighbours don't know who it is! :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    ab348 said:

@ab348,
    How much did GM sell the Saturn brand for? ;)

The same amount they sold Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Hummer for.

The difference is that Ford did this of their own free will, not with a federal gun to their head.
    So only the stockholders took a bath instead of the taxpayers. I like that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited August 2019
    berri said:

I've seen an occasional convertible on Hertz and Enterprise lots. Since you are buying used, at least you'll know the thing had oil changes.

Half the cars I deliver to dealers say change oil soon.

In my area Enterprise owns a bunch of Mustang 4cly convertibles and some Camaro verts as well. I’ve seen both brands in the Hertz section of the airport garage including some 5.0 Mustangs. (Remember the photo my buddy at Hertz sent me?)

When it comes to the V8 muscle cars I can't believe the companies rent these to people.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @driver100,
    Who wants to have their car totaled after giving a refuse truck a 'brake job'?
    Stuff happens.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    @oldfarmer50,
    Not just the stockholders.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

@ab348,
    Ford sold those brands to avoid the gun to their head.
    Might have been better off financially in the long run, the other way.

The problem wasn't so much their selling of it as their buying of it (and Land Rover, and Jaguar) in the first place.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    ab348 said:

Michaell said:

The S60 is built in Sweden (vin begins with Y)

The S90 is built in China (vin begins with L)

I wonder why all the owner reviews of the 2019 S60 on Edmunds think it is built in SC?
    SC = South China? 🤪😜😇😀

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

On Thursday evening, I’m taking my daughter out to dinner - she has been a South Florida resident for 5 weeks now. I can’t wait to hear all about her new job, her apartment in Boynton Beach and how she is adjusting to 94-95 degree temps every day with all the humidity we get this time of year.

I know she likes lobster tails, so that’s what we’ll go for. I prefer ribeye steak because I rarely (no pun intended) eat red meat. I could use a boost of protein and iron!

But everything considered, it is so nice having one of my remaining kids close by - I feel more secure. 😇

2021 Genesis G90

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited August 2019

So only the stockholders took a bath instead of the taxpayers. I like that.

I think stockholders SAVED money when Mercury was shut down. I think they also saved some money with premium Euro brand sales, as those operations were all in red. Employees, probably not so much, unless Ford found them a new model/plant.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    here is one that I completely forgot even existed. Maybe this would make a nice replacement for a Sebring? Conceptually, seems to be a kindred spirit.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/tampa-2017-buick-cascada/6938819937.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I was afforded the opportunity to drive a friend’s Tesla Model S 75D & BMW 440xi Convertible, back to back around Route 130 in Bordentown, NJ.

I was impressed with both cars, but one of them completely blew me away. First the Tesla. It’s a Model S 75D. The wife drives it back and forth to work (9 miles each way) and uses it to shuttle the kids around. They have 2 daughters 8 & 6. The Model is is the @stickguy color special. Dark blue with a light interior. It’s a beautiful color combination. Very subtle and sleek looking without the gargantuan sized wheels. The seats are incredibly comfortable. The rear view mirror is tiny. The car has the fixed glass roof and not a sunroof. Cabin is airy and light. AC does an incredible job at cooling the canine down on a very hot day. I start off accelerating normal just to get a feel for a car without an engine. The regenerative brakes take a bit of time to get used to. They start grabbing right when you take your foot off the “gas” pedal. I’m going about 40 in a 35 and my friend tells me to jump on it. No drama, no noise (still very strange as I like the noises my cars make), just an instantaneous blast of speed. We are pushed back into our seats as I’m waiting to make the jump to light speed. It’s that fast. Wow. I’m going over 80 mph, the car feels solid, stable, but feels like it can keep going. The rest of the way, I keep it at normal speeds. The car automatically opens its garage door as you pull into the driveway. I wasn’t expecting much, but will seriously consider a Model 3 once it comes time to replace my beloved Infiniti.

We pull the Tesla into the garage. And my friend goes inside and grabs the keys to his 440xi MSport Convertible. The car is beautiful. Estoril Blue over Black with M Sport package. As awesome as the Tesla was, this is what a car should sound & feel like. Push the start button and the Twin Turbo In-line 6 growls to life. I just love the way the car does everything just right. It is heavy and slower than the Tesla, but so damn sexy. The acceleration, braking, & precise handling that made me fall in love with BMWs many moons ago.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

For those that don’t follow CCBA

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/4011/general/x/chronic-car-buyers-anonymous/p3172

Have to scroll down a few posts for mine.

Hey all! Punch is official!

2019 S60 T6 Inscription
    Crystal White over Blond

How come we get it 2nd hand?
    Is this the car of which we are speaking?

I saw one from the rear a few days ago and it looked really nice on the road....I wondered what it was, now I know.
    Congratulations.....great car.....change your signature.
    Lol, over on CCBA they had to hear the week long drama doing the deal. They had to know first.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@ab348,
    I meant going through bankruptcy like GM did, not buying the brands.
    Those brands have all survived, so there is that.
    I assume you are just keeping the Elantra until the end and making the last couple of payments?

Most likely. This week going to make an appointment with Auto lenders. They think they will get a lower payoff from the bank which may eliminate some of the delta between what I owe and what they will give me for it.

Right now I’m at $820 just to give it back (2 payments and dispo fee)

Buy out is 13,500 and they offered 12k site unseen.

So depending what becomes with them I may end up owing less and getting rid of it. Will save a month or two of insurance too.

stickguy said:

here is one that I completely forgot even existed. Maybe this would make a nice replacement for a Sebring? Conceptually, seems to be a kindred spirit.

I like the styling but in researching it I thought it was underpowered and overpriced.

stickguy said:

I like the styling but in researching it I thought it was underpowered and overpriced.
    Besides that, that is what the woman in Florida was driving who pushed her door open and hit the C250. Unless you are selfish and self absorbed and like to talk on your self phone as you are getting out of your car - best to avoid this particular model.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

The Cascada is on our watch list, decent car for the price but the engine could have been more powerful.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I like the Cascada, I'd wager on a lightly used unit a good deal could be had.

I assumed the Sebring is no burner, and you don't really drive it hard. But, gotta be comfortable with the amount of HP or you won't be happy.

200HP in that probably is a little sluggish... why they never put the 3.6 in there I'll never know.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Besides that, that is what the woman in Florida was driving who pushed her door open and hit the C250. Unless you are selfish and self absorbed and like to talk on your self phone as you are getting out of your car - best to avoid this particular model.
    I think you're right. That model should not be allowed in parking lots unless it has the optional door opener nanny minder. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    tjc78 said:

200HP in that probably is a little sluggish... why they never put the 3.6 in there I'll never know.

More than likely CAFE played a role in that decision.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    tjc78 said:

It was built in Germany by Opel and used a 4-banger, I believe because a V-6 would not fit in the chassis.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

stickguy said:

The Cascada is on our watch list, decent car for the price but the engine could have been more powerful.
    I suspect a lot of Cascada are leased. So returned vehicles that are CPO within the 4/50 Buick warranty should be available from 3-year leases. I see more of them than I would expect to see in this area.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited August 2019
    Inept government example:
    Saturday our PO Box would not operate. I went back to PO later with my wife's key to see if it was just my key that was the problem. No joy.

This morning, the desk clerk smiled when I said it wouldn't work. She said they may want my information updated... Huh?

I told her just putting a note in the box saying to update at counter within 7 or 10 days would have been better. It had cost me time and effort.

We've had the box more than 30 years. Never had to do this before. Ridiculous. They put notes in the box when pay will be due by the end of the month. Same should have been done here. Locking the box without notice--ridiculous.

At least I could see what was in the box from the informed delivery emails they send and knew nothing important was there that I had to have before Monday.

I suspect a lot of Cascada are leased. So returned vehicles that are CPO within the 4/50 Buick warranty should be available from 3-year leases. I see more of them than I would expect to see in this area.

A lot of them went into rental fleets too. Their sales didn't exactly burn up the charts.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I think you're right. That model should not be allowed in parking lots unless it has the optional door opener nanny minder. :@

jmonroe
    Yeh, if someone buys one they should check the edges of the doors to make sure the previous owner didn't go around dinging people's doors. Some models attract incompetent car owners :@

Well, we have just had a post about notification for updating mail boxes. Here is a new topic, never before mentioned around here.
    How many shaves can you get out of a Gillette Mach 3 Blade?
    It has the strip on it....but, that isn't very reliable.

driver100 said:

Well, we have just had a post about notification for updating mail boxes. Here is a new topic, never before mentioned around here.

The number of shaves would depend on what you are shaving - right? Face, legs, chest, back, arms, and other nooks and crannies! :smile:

2021 Genesis G90

• DaverceeDavercee Member Posts: 101
    "The number of shaves would depend on what you are shaving - right? Face, legs, chest, back, arms, and other nooks and crannies!"

Words of wisdom, right there. :)
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

The number of shaves would depend on what you are shaving - right? Face, legs, chest, back, arms, and other nooks and crannies! :smile:
    This is heading into very dangerous territory. :worried:

Davercee said:

"The number of shaves would depend on what you are shaving - right? Face, legs, chest, back, arms, and other nooks and crannies!"

Words of wisdom, right there. :)

Not really. That's what happens when you procrastinate when it's time to shave. :'(

jmonroe
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    edited August 2019
    driver100 said:

You can theoretically get a thousand shaves from one cartridge if you aren’t too picky about quality of shave. :)
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    abacomike said:

On Thursday evening, I’m taking my daughter out to dinner - she has been a South Florida resident for 5 weeks now. I can’t wait to hear all about her new job, her apartment in Boynton Beach and how she is adjusting to 94-95 degree temps every day with all the humidity we get this time of year.

I know she likes lobster tails, so that’s what we’ll go for. I prefer ribeye steak because I rarely (no pun intended) eat red meat. I could use a boost of protein and iron!

But everything considered, it is so nice having one of my remaining kids close by - I feel more secure. 😇

I like lobster tails too. B) Just sayin’
    edited August 2019
    driver100 said:

We've had a discussion about razor longevity before. Mine go for months. I prep the beard by softening it with soap for a few minutes while showering. Then the razor is thoroughly rinsed in the water stream before hanging on the mirror rack in the shower. I happen to use the Extreme 3 throwaways by Shick. The rinsing reduces corrosion from the soap residue, IMHO.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've always wanted to get a good straight razor, but I'm not sure I have enough first aid items stocked up! ;)
    Braun electric... never a blade again

edited August 2019
    Just got an email notification from Edmunds saying I earned the 1000 LOLs badge. It also said I am one of only 4 posters to receive such an honor, the others being @qbrozen, @stickguy and @fintail. I went into my profile to see who pushed me over the top and lo and behold, it said I had 1.3K LOLs, though when you click on it the actual number was 1,255 - rounded up. The 1000th would have been months ago. I guess the forums notifications function is a little behind the times.

Are they laughing at us, or with us?

edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

I assumed the Sebring is no burner, and you don't really drive it hard. But, gotta be comfortable with the amount of HP or you won't be happy.

It's a little sluggish but it can keep up with the normal flow of traffic. However it wont win many races.

driver100 said:

I would say that's very dependent on to many variables. The question I have is how many shaves per dollar can you get out of a Mach 3 vs a decent twin blade disposable?

tjc78 said:

Well, not never. About every 2 years, if you replace the shaver head, you will be amazed at the difference. I bought the Braun without the cleaner doohickey (just clean with liquid soap every 3 shaves), so there’s money saved.

The real rabbit hole is old style double edge shaving. Yes, it’s cheaper than cartridges, but you get sucked into buying fancy brushes and shaving cream and before you know it, you got several hundred invested. ☹️
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    stickguy said:

Are they laughing at us, or with us?

Yes.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

thebean said:

tjc78 said:

Well, not never. About every 2 years, if you replace the shaver head, you will be amazed at the difference. I bought the Braun without the cleaner doohickey (just clean with liquid soap every 3 shaves), so there’s money saved.
    I solved that issue by just going as God planned and growing a beard. Of course this requires clippers to keep the beard neat but I also use them to keep my hair closely cropped.
    thebean said:

The real rabbit hole is old style double edge shaving. Yes, it’s cheaper than cartridges, but you get sucked into buying fancy brushes and shaving cream and before you know it, you got several hundred invested. ☹️

Why can't you just use regular shaving cream?

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

What’s next, a discussion on bath soap vs body wash? TMI!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

I only do my face......with that razor! B)

thebean said:

driver100 said:

You can theoretically get a thousand shaves from one cartridge if you aren’t too picky about quality of shave. :)
    3 years! Is that how you get that scruffy look?