Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

I should have gotten a shore house back when we first started going. And it was still theoretically affordable.

at this point, at minimum, I need to find a lot cheaper town than SH to look at!

Wildwood Crest isn’t too bad ... condos around 275 ish

Wife wants Seapointe Village ... nearly 400K with $500 month association fees. Um, no.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I should have gotten a shore house back when we first started going. And it was still theoretically affordable.

at this point, at minimum, I need to find a lot cheaper town than SH to look at!

Wife wants Seapointe Village ... nearly 400K with $500 month association fees. Um, no.
    I had a cousin who had a 1-bedroom condo in Margate. Got to spend the night there once, in a previous wife-time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    abacomike said:

andres3 said:

berri said:

You just upped the game from civil to criminal!

I considered, and still do consider the unreliability of my '95 Neon to have been criminal fraud by the designers, engineers, assemblers, management/ownership, and builders of the car.
    Where have I heard this before - sounds familiar! 😩
    Not enough times I'm sure :)
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

that is cheap. Cross the bridge to the north if you want real sticker shock!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited August 2019
    Waaaayyyyyout of our price range

wait, you just got a fancy Volvo, but can't afford $1,000,000 for a 50x80 piece of sand with no house on it?

That math is hard to believe!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    stickguy said:

Go shopping after the next hurricane.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

wait, you just got a fancy Volvo, but can't afford $1,000,000 for a 50x80 piece of sand with no house on it?

That math is hard to believe!

Ha ha... I just got a good lease, I spoke to someone not long ago paying nearly the same amount for a loaded Camry!

I still find lease prices fascinating, how wildly different cars (and stickers) can end up costing the same, and sometimes the much nicer unit is real dollar cheaper. And since you are just "renting" it, only the payment matters.

I still browse Honcker just to see what is being pushed. Right now on deals of the day, there is a Compass Lattitude and Forester sport. Almost the exact same MSRP, but the Sube is $386 and the Jeep $191. Though $700 more up front so effectively about $170 less per month. Or a CRV EX-L in the middle at $273, so still $100 less per month (and that stickers for a couple grand more).

A very good friend of mine was paying $500 a month for a fully loaded RAV4 limited for his wife.

I told him he needs to shop elsewhere if that’s his payment budget.

He just got her a CRV, I would hate to see that lease. I didn’t ask!

I’m done offering help...

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,553
    I've made offers so many times to help people and no one really takes me up on it so I've stopped offering.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I was surprised to see a CRV that (relatively) cheap on Honcker. When I shopped them last December, lease prices were decidedly mediocre. Guess they have units to move! I mentioned it to the wife, and she asked "isn't that the one with the bad engine?" Which I finally figured out meant the CVT that she did not care for. So I think a CRV is not on her list.

I do have people take me up on offer to help. Sometimes they even listen and end up with deals I sketch out (rough parameters). I helped (with lots of trade value input from QB) my SIL get an RDX 3 years ago. that lease is up in October/November, and she is bugging me to come up and help play the bad cop in her shopping (she needs no help grinding on her own!). I think I will stay home and just supply suggested pricing on whatever she is interested in. Likely a new RDX to fit what she wants, even though she will have to accept a much, much higher payment. So we shall see. Saw her at the beach in July and gave her a short shopping list to look at.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Current CRV has had several recalls while improved competition has come out, so maybe it makes some sense.
    I was OK with how it drove, and it was very functional and practical, but I could not overcome the gas in the oil issue. Even though I would have leased it, still bugged me.

there is not much in that class now that I am really interested in. Did like the CX5. Rav 4, looks good, but from what I have read, not for us. Wife won't like the Forester. Nix to the Rogue. The Santa Fe could work (though I think of it as a size up) but gets pricey to get a nice one with the turbo motor. Not doing Kia version.. Not a Jeep fan. She won't consider a Ford, and I don't like the Equinox. And I think that is about it.

Wife somehow became a badge snob anyway. Never should have bought her an Acura!

Actually though, even for the "mainstream" brands, by the time you upgrade to the trim level and option packages to get all the goodies you want, MSRP is approaching the near luxury level anyway. And sometimes leasing, the fancier car can cost less per month.

Saw her at the beach in July and gave her a short shopping list to look at.

When will she have time to test drive 17 mid size SUVs? B)

stickguy said:

I was OK with how it drove, and it was very functional and practical, but I could not overcome the gas in the oil issue. Even though I would have leased it, still bugged me.

there is not much in that class now that I am really interested in. Did like the CX5. Rav 4, looks good, but from what I have read, not for us. Wife won't like the Forester. Nix to the Rogue. The Santa Fe could work (though I think of it as a size up) but gets pricey to get a nice one with the turbo motor. Not doing Kia version.. Not a Jeep fan. She won't consider a Ford, and I don't like the Equinox. And I think that is about it.

Actually though, even for the "mainstream" brands, by the time you upgrade to the trim level and option packages to get all the goodies you want, MSRP is approaching the near luxury level anyway. And sometimes leasing, the fancier car can cost less per month.

You could always get the 2.4L motor. I hear the oil/gas problem was only on the 1.5L turbo.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The current Hyundai Santa Fe is actually decent. Ironically, some reviewers preferred its non turbo 4 stating the turbo was too punchy (or something like that). The Santa Fe is nice inside, so maybe your wife would like it.
    berri said:

The current Hyundai Santa Fe is actually decent. Ironically, some reviewers preferred its non turbo 4 stating the turbo was too punchy (or something like that). The Santa Fe is nice inside, so maybe your wife would like it.

Is that the engine jointly developed with Chrysler and Mitsu?

176hp seems a bit weak for a car that can weight over 3700 pounds.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075

You could always get the 2.4L motor. I hear the oil/gas problem was only on the 1.5L turbo.

How's that? I thought the CRX only came with the 1.5T?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

The base CRV LX still uses the old 2.4L non turbo four banger while the other models use the smaller turbo.
    I think HyunKia engines are developed and unique to HyunKia.
    fintail said:

It has a Hagerty agreed value policy for $7500. Realistically, I should take such a price, as I have seen nicer ones bring less, but at the same time, mine is a great color, is roadworthy, and is a desirable model (fuel injected). But would I sell for that? Likely not - the car has far too much sentimental value now, and I'd be stricken with seller's remorse until the end. The car was my everyday car when I was a student, and it holds a lot of memories of people and events long in the past. I've also "known" the car since I was maybe 14, as I lived in a small town, and would see it out on the road now and then. The car is also immense fun for the money it takes to keep it on the road, driving it is a very content experience, and it gets positive attention like few other cars.

stickguy said:

just curious, but as it sits, what do you think it would sell for if you decided to?

oh, I never expected you would sell. I was really just curious what it is realistically worth.

tjc78 said:

short list for her, not me!

after talking to her, and knowing her opinions and predjudices, it really is a short list. Pretty much get a new RDX to eat the beaten up over miles on her current RDX. there isn't much else that would fit her criteria really, even without factoring in having an Acura lease turn in. Now, if she was willing to drive a Murano or something like that, different story!

Basically a brand snob that won't buy German. Really cuts down the options.

stickguy said:

no way we are buying a base model (LX) CRV. that is a non starter!

berri said:

it is a nice car. I think I would take the punchy engine to get a lot more power.

we definitely will take a look at one. Could be an RDX replacement for 10k less money.

the current Hyundai motors have nothing to do with Mitsubishi. It is all them.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

after talking to her, and knowing her opinions and predjudices, it really is a short list. Pretty much get a new RDX to eat the beaten up over miles on her current RDX. there isn't much else that would fit her criteria really, even without factoring in having an Acura lease turn in. Now, if she was willing to drive a Murano or something like that, different story!

Infiniti QX50?
    Lexus NX300?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I should suggest an NX. forgot all about those. Odd, since that was my 2nd choice if I did not get the TLX!

Infiniti could work. One of her favorite previous leases was the pouncing panther Infiniti (the midsized one, which I can't recall the model name),

one issue is she will be over miles, and have a big of "patina" on it, so likely has to eat a fair bit of cash to just give it back and walk away. At least getting another Acura, that should all get swept under the rug.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    stickguy said:

berri said:

it is a nice car. I think I would take the punchy engine to get a lot more power.

we definitely will take a look at one. Could be an RDX replacement for 10k less money.
    They have been getting some bad press up here. Fires and engine failures across the lineup for Hyundai, along with lots of exploding glass sunroofs on the Santa Fe.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

interesting. early on I just worry about what we like and fits requirements. then take a drive. If it makes the short, short list, I do a deeper dive looking for any potential problem areas. That is where I stumbled on the CRV engine issue.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019
    berri said:

Current CRV has had several recalls while improved competition has come out, so maybe it makes some sense.

We have a 2018 CR-V EX AWD that we bought new. No recalls for our CR-V. No problems with it either. Engine works well with good acceleration, but the engine noise is somewhat raw when flooring it. No oil problems that we are aware of. Honda has voluntarily extended the engine warranty, which we found out about in a letter we got a week or so ago.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

What do the numbers look like for an RDX lease? What model is the minimum that works for you? I think there's an Acura "loyalty" incentive going on right now that you'd qualify for.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    What do the numbers look like for an RDX lease?

Not sure if it changed, but you could get an MDX for a cheaper payment

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    My wife found another 1 class convertible in a color she liked, white with a light interior. we went to see it and it looked near perfect, just like it got off the showroom floor. The body had no imperfections and the interior was clean with no signs of much wear and tear. The car was comfortable and drove well with no undue noises from the engine. This car seemed perfect and at a decent price. At the end of the test drive we put the top up and that's where things began to fall apart, literally. As the top goes up and the frame starts to unfold there is this one piece of trim on top of the rear window trim that's supposed to retract a bit to allow for the tops frame to flex, well it didn't and that whole piece of trim along the rear window popped out. Getting out of the car and looking at the top you could see that the rear window was coming apart from the top. I was a bit amazed that it was still attached as it looked like it would fall out at any time.

They told us that they would get it all fixed and I pretty much said ok then we can discuss a sale, until then we can wait. I mean really such an obvious issue and they didn't fix it before putting it out for sale?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

tjc78 said:

What do the numbers look like for an RDX lease?

Not sure if it changed, but you could get an MDX for a cheaper payment

That was true for a bit. Might not be now but they are close.

We would want a tech model. That’s the minimum level I would take. No need for aa spec this time (wife would prefer leather interior anyway I think). Ultimate is overkill mostly and I wouldn’t spend extra on it.

For a $43-44k tech, looking at the mid-$500s I think with just tax/dmv kinda stuff up front. Close to $600 sign and drive.

Snake, sometimes they just didn’t notice (and depends on who and when the top got used). And it is possible that you had the bad (or here, good) luck to have it break during your test drive.

Positive note, once fixed, you shouldn’t have to worry about it!

For a $43-44k tech, looking at the mid-$500s I think with just tax/dmv kinda stuff up front. Close to $600 sign and drive.

To me that's just too high and brings up too many other really nice SUVs. You could probably get an X3 40i or full boat XC60 for that monthly.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    stickguy said:

Snake, sometimes they just didn’t notice (and depends on who and when the top got used). And it is possible that you had the bad (or here, good) luck to have it break during your test drive.

Positive note, once fixed, you shouldn’t have to worry about it!

I may believe that the trim popping out is a brand new issue but that back window was so far gone that it wasn't a new issue and was very noticeable.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

If that’s all that’s wrong, and it gets replaced, still sounds like good deal. And the reason you get a PPI on something like that!

tjc78 said:

To me that's just too high and brings up too many other really nice SUVs. You could probably get an X3 40i or full boat XC60 for that monthly.

Yup. Though an XC60 is even higher, though if I troll the loaner row (maybe a broker) might get something to work. And maybe a 30i loaner for less, but I doubt a40i.

I mostly have just been cruising Honcker as my baseline comparison tool.

edited August 2019
    XC60 is definitely possible at that payment

$56k T6 R-design broker deal roughly $542 with just first payment

I’ve never talked to a broker. Probably makes it hard to trade in too! Or do they just set up the deal, and you go in to sign and take delivery like any other purchase? So could throw a trade in at the end?

Honcker has a T6 r for $530/month but that’s $58.5 sticker, and $4,000 DAS.

edited August 2019
    And the usual leasing quirks. A $51k t5 R design, is $70/month higher! And an inscription is about the same payment at $525.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    Just curious to know if any of you guys know about any early build 2019 Macan Issues? Build dates in December 2018? Thanks!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Or do they just set up the deal, and you go in to sign and take delivery like any other purchase?

I never have either, but from what I've read this is how it is done.

The guy I spoke to from Boston was awesome and I could certainly see why many people choose to deal with them.

In the end I was able to get virtually the same deal w/o one, but it took a decent amount of leg work (well, email and phone work)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

interesting. early on I just worry about what we like and fits requirements. then take a drive. If it makes the short, short list, I do a deeper dive looking for any potential problem areas. That is where I stumbled on the CRV engine issue.

I'm glad this isn't on a GM car. The posts about it would be continual. But Honda--no problem. Minor.LOL :D

And Hyundai too?

Actually, as I've said before, cars are going to have problems. Some get hidden. Some get emphasized for automobile-political reasons.

Reminds me of morning talk guy on radio in Cincy. He bragged about his Japanese cars and even advertised for one "premium" brand of same. He occasionally mentions their CRV and how it's got over 100K miles (my Cobalt has 142,000 mi). But now he has European cars. His Honda has had the AC grenade and the door handle break off. But no problem in his mind.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-affected-by-engine-trouble/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    edited August 2019
    Makes no sense to trade on a lease in most cases. Sell your car to carvana and keep the lease deal clean.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    His Honda has had the AC grenade and the door handle break off. But no problem in his mind.

I know someone who has an Odyssey minivan. I'm thinking it's mid 2000s. It is certainly during the "fragile" transmission era.

He was bragging about how it has nearly 250K and is a great beater vehicle. I said, wow 250K. Original trans? Oh no, it's on it's third but its so reliable and just keeps going. I was really was speechless.

If it was a domestic it would have been labeled a total POS.

Makes no sense to trade on a lease in most cases. Sell your car to carvana and keep the lease deal clean.

In NJ you get the same sales tax credit on a trade that you do on a purchase. So on a $400/month lease it’s potentially $1,000-1,200 savings. Definitely worth trying. If the trade offer is less than carvana-savings, no reason to do it. On a purchase you can transfer your plates, but not if getting a lease. Those have to be new.