Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @breld you are welcome!
  • Options
    @28FF Can’t wate to hear the test. Drive report. On the Q5!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    sda said:

Is the 2.OT in the Tiguan the same but detuned engine as the A4, Q5? I was surprised the 2.0T in our 16 Q5 requires spark plug replacement at 35k and then 75k. Most engines don’t require the first replacement until 100k.

Direct injection engines require more frequent spark plug changes. It’s the main reason my parents are dumping my Mom’s 2016 Cayenne with 75,000 miles on it. The plugs were changed once at the 40K service which they prepaid for. They are due again at 80K.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Acura engines are direct-injected too, but are scheduled for first spark plug replacement at 100k.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Cadillac's DI engines call for spark plug replacement at 97,500 miles.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    xwesx said:

@breld - Congrats on the upcoming closing! That's a little less stress in your life (or soon to be)! My suggestion would be to just hold on the Q7 for a while until things settle in at your new place, then make a decision once life gets to the "new normal." As others have noted, it is quite handy to have something like that around. Maybe, if you go into crazy man mode, you could do something like a pickup for your "truckster" and just use it when needed.

Rivian? ;)

The Rivian is definitely on my list.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    jpp75 said:

xwesx said:

@breld - Congrats on the upcoming closing! That's a little less stress in your life (or soon to be)! My suggestion would be to just hold on the Q7 for a while until things settle in at your new place, then make a decision once life gets to the "new normal." As others have noted, it is quite handy to have something like that around. Maybe, if you go into crazy man mode, you could do something like a pickup for your "truckster" and just use it when needed.

Rivian? ;)

I had a chance to check out the truck back in June; it seemed similar size wise to a Ridgeline. I’ll give the SUV a closer look when it comes out. The company rep was saying end 2020 for production start. The cheaper/small battery version won’t be out until later in 21.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Visited the parts dept. at Jag dealer to pick up replacement rear turn signal lamp. Parts dude could find no such bulb, said as LED it appears you have to replace the whole tail lamp unit. That part, a tidy $700...

Not that I don't believe him, but I'm gonna take the unit apart myself, see what lies beneath. He said I could get a lamp for $35, but it's noted as a backup light. If indeed it's replace the whole unit, I think I've gotten to the point now of committing $ (next service in December is 6 year service, some wear items to replace, so likely $$$) to keep the XF or time for something newer and shinier.

Honestly, it would be tough to say adios to the cat, just everything about it makes me smile.
    Wonder what the next Costco auto bargain will be?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    The QX80 is supposed to have a 0-60 time in the low 6’s. It certainly doesn’t feel anywhere near as peppy as an Ecoboost F-150.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    ab348 said:

Because 100k is just plain crazy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

Visited the parts dept. at Jag dealer to pick up replacement rear turn signal lamp. Parts dude could find no such bulb, said as LED it appears you have to replace the whole tail lamp unit. That part, a tidy $700...

Not that I don't believe him, but I'm gonna take the unit apart myself, see what lies beneath. He said I could get a lamp for $35, but it's noted as a backup light. If indeed it's replace the whole unit, I think I've gotten to the point now of committing $ (next service in December is 6 year service, some wear items to replace, so likely $$$) to keep the XF or time for something newer and shinier.

Honestly, it would be tough to say adios to the cat, just everything about it makes me smile.
    Wonder what the next Costco auto bargain will be?

Perhaps you can find a used tail light on eBay or other source?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    @QB we are all here I’m here to help you implement and go through with that plan. Lol and also we have to hopefully get stick I can get his wife to get something slightly used to, or lease on something new to this year. Lol
  • Options
    So wanted everyone’s advice, really really thinking will you be selling the Thunderbird, my cousin is hardly ever around anyone else wants to touch it to drive it. We other friend that I used to go to Shaws with been acting shady this year, can you go to one show with him at all like last year he went to put a few. Kills me to see the car just sitting there and we can have garage for, going to be for years at the end of October but I had it. She finally got on the road this past March.
  • Options
    Kills me to sell it at the same time big time ! But at the same time was thinking to get something slightly used or maybe even a lease on something but I want that everyone will definitely drive for me without an issue ha ha Ha I’m car crazy like you all after all.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

All their services are at 7500 mile intervals. Do the math.

• Options

Take a look at the opposite side in operation. A LED lamp has a much sharper on/off look than an incandescent bulb. That could save you the trouble of disassembling it.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    qbrozen said:

I have started implementing a plan that may result in 1-2 punches for me this year, after all

we all had faith in you!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@QB we are all here I’m here to help you implement and go through with that plan. Lol and also we have to hopefully get stick I can get his wife to get something slightly used to, or lease on something new to this year. Lol

Marco, the slightly used option is going to take some work. For her, she would prefer brand new. Just does not like the idea that other people sat in her car, made it smell, etc.!

was out today with her and the daughter, discussing color options on the RDX. so there is that. Though she did preface it with happening in 2 years, so color options could be different. We all do like the red in the RDX.

• Options
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

All their services are at 7500 mile intervals. Do the math.
    No. Too tired for mathing today.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    benjaminh said:
    My E84 X1 takes 6.0 seconds to hit 60. More importantly, it runs the quarter in 14.6 seconds at 95 mph. It's fast enough for a CUV, but it wouldn't cut it if it was my only car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

The Craze for cars started at an early age in me. Though I don't buy them rightaway I look at them anywhere and anytime.

Sounds like you're in the right place. Stick around!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    jpp75 said:

Mine too. If only I could dispose of this Q7! :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @ stick guy, nice you’re out on Saturday with the wife looking at all the exes and discussing the color options, hopefully she’ll want to get a new one sooner than two years from now. Hey if she prefers new she prefers new tweet his own right like they say. Also I guess take her next weekend Labor Day weekend and try to sit in some more stuff just because you can enjoy doing it. Between you and your daughter, I think you can convince her. Lol lol
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    qbrozen said:

I have started implementing a plan that may result in 1-2 punches for me this year, after all

Fun! Do share!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Thanks, folks. I did the simple eyeball test, it's LED. Whole unit needs to be replaced. Did go online, found some used and discounted new units, ~$500. So, I'm guessing I'll have to invest another ~$1k by eoy in maintenance. First world issues...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    good luck with replacement; excellent choices for replacement

really happy with porsche macan S CPO... first service in a few months-- will do dealer for first service as get discount..." the privilege of porsche service" is probably equal to privilege of Jag service....

Thanks, folks. I did the simple eyeball test, it's LED. Whole unit needs to be replaced. Did go online, found some used and discounted new units, ~$500. So, I'm guessing I'll have to invest another ~$1k by eoy in maintenance. First world issues...

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Ok. Drove the Q5. No punch to report but I’m done shopping. This is what I want.

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015 with 36k miles - premium plus with tech package. Black over brown.

Car drove beautifully - even in regular drive mode the steering was tight and responsive, the suspension appropriately sporty without being punishing, and the transmission did a great job of keeping the car in the meat of its power band. As @sda mentioned, it will upshift for gas mileage, but I found that a moderate blip of the throttle and it downshifted easily. It was definitely more sluggish than say my GTI, but the AWD helped the handling immensely.

The B and O stereo is excellent, seats were supportive, and the interior just very upscale. This particular car was clearly well cared for, inside and out. No rattles, creaks or anything - I could be convinced it had half the mileage.

CarMax was asking $24,9 which isn’t cheap for a 2015. But what makes it worthwhile is that a 5 year B2B warranty extension out to 80k miles or so was only ~$2200. That’s half what the Audi dealer quoted me for a similar extension on a CPO car. That is the value proposition on a used ride like this.

Had I not had 4 more payments and a $350 dispo in front of me ($1500) I would have bought it, no question.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Nice! The Q5 is just such a great all around vehicle.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options

Kills me to sell it at the same time big time ! But at the same time was thinking to get something slightly used or maybe even a lease on something but I want that everyone will definitely drive for me without an issue ha ha Ha I’m car crazy like you all after all.

I feel the same way about moving on from my Jag XF...

• Options
    As an aside, holy moly was the experience at CarMax nice. I can see why people like it.
  • Options
    So...
    Their was a Bullitt at the local Acura dealer. My bride was underwhelmed, and I still think it is too big for my tastes(Jeep is the only domestic brand she actually likes). I'd go with a 370Z if the telematics weren't so ancient; I still like the car- I just don't know if I could live with it long term. I found a private seller offering an almost new RWD M240i I'd pick it up if it wasn't the same color as my M235i- it's a manual with sunroof delete and virtually every other option. Best of all, it already has the M Performance Differential, exhaust, and aerodynamics installed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

Ok. Drove the Q5. No punch to report but I’m done shopping. This is what I want.

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015 with 36k miles - premium plus with tech package. Black over brown.

Car drove beautifully - even in regular drive mode the steering was tight and responsive, the suspension appropriately sporty without being punishing, and the transmission did a great job of keeping the car in the meat of its power band. As @sda mentioned, it will upshift for gas mileage, but I found that a moderate blip of the throttle and it downshifted easily. It was definitely more sluggish than say my GTI, but the AWD helped the handling immensely.

The B and O stereo is excellent, seats were supportive, and the interior just very upscale. This particular car was clearly well cared for, inside and out. No rattles, creaks or anything - I could be convinced it had half the mileage.

CarMax was asking $24,9 which isn’t cheap for a 2015. But what makes it worthwhile is that a 5 year B2B warranty extension out to 80k miles or so was only ~$2200. That’s half what the Audi dealer quoted me for a similar extension on a CPO car. That is the value proposition on a used ride like this.

Had I not had 4 more payments and a $350 dispo in front of me ($1500) I would have bought it, no question.

When I drove the Q5 I expected to like it, but came away impressed. My wife always mentioned she liked the Q5 so when I brought it home for her to drive, she asked for my opinion. I said drive it and let me know what you think, I didn’t want to color her opinion as it was going to be for her. She really liked it and gave two thumbs up. Your summary matches mine. It is a very satisfying vehicle to drive and own.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    Running errands today, I was in the middle lane of a three lane arterial road, between a red F-Type S convertible and a blue Mustang GT350. I could hardly hear the stereo, even with my windows rolled up.

A few cars back was a 911 GTS.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    RB, if the car is everything you want, why should it being the same color matter? You planning to drive it, or paint your dinning room? :)

• Options
    maybe I should actually go drive a Q5. I have only sat in them at this point.

• Options
    stickguy said:

RB, if the car is everything you want, why should it being the same color matter? You planning to drive it, or paint your dinning room? :)

White over black was never my favorite combination; I'd prefer not to repeat it.

• Options
    oh. yeah, I hate that combo. Don't really blame you. I did not realize that is what your current car was.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    stickguy said:

maybe I should actually go drive a Q5. I have only sat in them at this point.

I was fortunate enough to be a part of a test drive in an SQ5. Now, that was a nice ride. I imagine the Q5 is very similar, albeit a bit slower

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    @28firefighter

Your experience was like mine with Volvo. Once I drove it I just “knew”

Today I drove it with AC off and windows open. It has a faint supercharger whine when you get on it a little... love that.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    xwesx said:

jpp75 said:

Mine too. If only I could dispose of this Q7! :D

Fortunately I only need to dispose of a Tacoma. :D
  • Options
    We really don't need to spend a lot extra for the hotrod model. as long as the base car is respectably perky, so a Q5 instead of an SQ5, or X3 30 instead of a 40. Volvo T5 instead of T6. all the smaller engine ones will be more than enough for us.

• Options

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015....

Does a 2015 Audi Q5 have CarPlay/AndroidAuto?
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015....

No - but it has Nav, the B&O stereo, and I can stream music to the stereo via their MMI interface. Gives me what I have now in the BMW and what I had in the Stelvio, which is more than adequate.
  • Options
    nope. I think a current model year does though. But don't hold be to it!

• Options
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

Fun! Do share!
    I’ll keep the details under tight wrap and release as needed. ;b
    I did just post my 330 lease for transfer, though.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Nice
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

qbrozen said:

Fun! Do share!
    I’ll keep the details under tight wrap and release as needed. ;b
    I did just post my 330 lease for transfer, though.
    Nice! Challenger?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    edited August 2019

benjaminh said:

No - but it has Nav, the B&O stereo, and I can stream music to the stereo via their MMI interface. Gives me what I have now in the BMW and what I had in the Stelvio, which is more than adequate.
    The voice-activated navigation with Google maps that AndroidAuto has is really useful for me, esp. because I like to take trips to explore places I've never been to before, both locally and farther away. The ability to send texts is also useful, so that I can do things like say to my wife, "I'm going with my friend to a movie. Back about 9" or whatever. I also sometimes play my audio books in the car through Audible which is integrated into the app. I assume Apple's CarPlay has almost identical functionality. Anyway, I wouldn't consider getting a new or used car without CarPlay/AndroidAuto, but perhaps that's just me. Maybe you might consider trying to use a car with it to see if it's useful to you? Just a thought.

PS For anyone else who has AndroidAuto the new version is even better imho. For me it took a "forced update" for some reason to try it, but it's free and very good. Here's a 4-minute video from a guy who likes it too. He has an aftermarket unit for AndroidAuto, but I like it just built into the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1yFlTQXkwY
  • Options
    If put in terms of a letter grade, here's how I'd grade the "ease of use" of built-in navi compared to voice-activated Google navi that comes with AndroidAuto....

AndroidAuto navigation: "A-"

Built-in navigation: "C-"

The built-in navigation is so cumbersome and awkward to use that really it seems more like a D to me. I only use it if I've forgotten my phone. But I used built-in navi a lot on my 2008 Accord, and it is available as a back-up in my 2018 TLX.