Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I always loved the idea of a '94-96 Roadmaster, or Fleetwood, with the LT-1 engine. Sort of an Impala SS in drag. Every once in awhile, I'll see something like that for sale at one of the swap meets I go to in Carlisle, PA. And, I do get slightly tempted...
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Andre, I saw an episode of phantom works yesterday while working out, and the featured car was a 59 (I think, maybe a 60) sedan deVille. Needed a lot of rehab, but the big piece was the motor was shot. Instead of a rebuild, they put in a modern v8. I think an LS3 maybe. With matching transmission. Really pepped the old girl up, without changing the nature of it at all. Otherwise kept stock.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It did cost some obscene amount though. Probably $120,000+ all together. Definitely not a smart financial decision, but the car was a family heirloom.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I’ll miss that show, the only one that was realistic regarding both cost and time needed for restoration work.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    At my buddy's tire shop/garage this morning. A 1976 Citroen HY tricked out as a tailgating vehicle

Would love to see interior on that one.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    texases said:

I’ll miss that show, the only one that was realistic regarding both cost and time needed for restoration work.

Well, I'm not so sure on that. I liked the show when it first appeared because of those reasons, but as I watched more of it I began to see that a lot of the situations seemed contrived and overly dramatized, and some of the gymnastics they went through to find supposedly unobtainium parts were simply made up. I suppose someone might be inclined to spend 6 figures on a $15,000 car if they had the means and it meant something to them, but I have to think those kind of clients were rare, yet the place seemed to live off them. The other thing about the show that troubled me was the almost complete turnover of staff in the shop over the years, and the odd combination of people supposedly having great expertise next to ones who screwed up the simplest of tasks, again leading to suspicion that much of it was scripted fake drama. I stopped watching it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• DaverceeDavercee Member Posts: 101
    Now, that looks amazing!
    stickguy said:

Would love to see interior on that one.

Of the Citroen? I might be able to do that. I know the guy who it belongs to and there are home games the next two weekends :)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @benjaminh,
    67 Eldo?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Football season is coming up.
    2 Games scheduled, ND/UM at the big house and Navy at ND.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    U of Pittsburgh colors but Penn Stete logos :D
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited August 2019
    @pensfan83,
    I should have noticed that. I saw plenty of Nittany Lions stickers on my way to Ohio at the end of last week.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    ab348 said:

texases said:

Well, I'm not so sure on that. I liked the show when it first appeared because of those reasons, but as I watched more of it I began to see that a lot of the situations seemed contrived and overly dramatized, and some of the gymnastics they went through to find supposedly unobtainium parts were simply made up. I suppose someone might be inclined to spend 6 figures on a $15,000 car if they had the means and it meant something to them, but I have to think those kind of clients were rare, yet the place seemed to live off them. The other thing about the show that troubled me was the almost complete turnover of staff in the shop over the years, and the odd combination of people supposedly having great expertise next to ones who screwed up the simplest of tasks, again leading to suspicion that much of it was scripted fake drama. I stopped watching it.
    That’s all true to some extent, but what show is better?

@benjaminh,
    67 Eldo?

I didn't get the label on that one. But an Eldo somewhere between 67 and 70, I think. Is there a Cadillac expert in the house?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    The engine in the Eldo should be a navy blue, not the lighter shade of blue in the pic. Looks like a nice car from what I could see. I loved the styling of those, especially the 67-68 with the crisp front end styling and hidden head lights.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

texases said:

ab348 said:

texases said:

That’s all true to some extent, but what show is better?
    I haven't seen any show on there recently that I would describe as good. Though the Canadian version of what is now Motor Trend TV in the USA is showing nothing but reruns of everything right now, so I might be missing something. I don't mind Kindig's program too much except for the goofball shop manager, and I like Iron Resurrection because of Joe Martin, though some of the others there annoy me.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Benjamin, I think you would really enjoy the Foutainhead Auto Museum. If you ever make it to Fairbanks, definitely put that one on your list! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the recommend. Fairbanks, Alaska would be quite a drive for me. Let me look that up. 65 hours. Yikes. Even more than I thought. But I realize I would probably like to see at least a little of Alaska before I die, and although in good health now I'm 54, and so I've started to do my bucket list things already—and so far am really enjoying it. But flying to Alaska from KY would clearly make more sense. Although does the Canadian Railway get up to Alaska? Hmmm. I think I'd better get to the car museums that are less than a day's drive away first....

benjaminh said:

Thanks for the recommend. Fairbanks, Alaska would be quite a drive for me. Let me look that up. 65 hours. Yikes. Even more than I thought. But I realize I would probably like to see at least a little of Alaska before I die, and although in good health now I'm 54, and so I've started to do my bucket list things already—and so far am really enjoying it. But flying to Alaska from KY would clearly make more sense. Although does the Canadian Railway get up to Alaska? Hmmm. I think I'd better get to the car museums that are less than a day's drive away first....

Railroad: Not at this time. However, there was an agreement made recently to connect the rail systems. The current issue is track commonality, more than anything else. CA uses a narrow-gauge rail that is compatible with Alaska rail. Hopefully, that will change.

Driving is not out of the question, if you have the time for it. I have made similar, and even longer, trips than KY to AK many times, sometimes solo, and none longer than five days. While you don't need to quite go for that, you can check many, many things off even the longest of bucket lists on a road trip like Alaska. Example? Jasper, Banff, and Glacier National Parks.... all in very close proximity to one another, and all *well* worth the time.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I like the cars in that museum, but the presentation leaves much to desire.
    Pretty sure I’ll never sell the wife on a road trip that requires making a stop for an oil change in the middle!

stickguy said:

Pretty sure I’ll never sell the wife on a road trip that requires making a stop for an oil change in the middle!

LOL nonsense. I've never done that. Well, okay, I did it ONCE with my 1969 Chevrolet C20, but only because the trip was 11,000 miles. I just took the supplies with me and did it myself midway through the trip.

But, even on our transcontinental trip, which was over 12,000 miles long, I didn't need to do an oil change. This isn't the 1970s. ;)
    xwesx said:

I like the cars in that museum, but the presentation leaves much to desire.

I think their idea is to pack them in close so that they can show most of their collection rather than having a lots in storage.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Continental MkII was a nice car for its time, but plenty pricey.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,054
    I'm a big fan of the Continental Mark II...clean styling, long-hood/short-deck before it was widely popularized. $10K new.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I can only imagine what a joy to drive this must be:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-mercedes-benz-190/

"A 1.9-liter OM621 diesel inline-four from the seller’s previous 1961 190Db was reportedly installed in 1972 after an accident totaled that car. The metal heater hot water lines between the left and right sides of the engine compartment are badly rusted and have been replaced with rubber heater hose. The seller notes that the body of a gasoline-fueled 190 did not come with the same sound insulation as a diesel-powered version would have, rendering the replacement engine especially audible from the cabin in this example."

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Lovely color for it, and I like how it seems to exaggerate the tall sidewall stance. I like what a commenter says: All the driving pleasure and performance of a Model A Ford in a more modern package. Seller seems responsive, not a car for everyone, but a good driver for a patient mellow person.
    Could always swap in something a little more potent!

I always liked the 64-66 T-Bird even though I don't think a lot of Thunderbird enthusiasts are enthused over them. The next gen isn't bad, but maybe a bit plump. Mid sixties Ford's though, I actually lean toward the big 63's, 64 4dr HT version and 66 coupe, as well as the wagons. My age I'm going to like all the 60's Mustangs, then they over plumped up the 71 just a Chevy had brought out the rather lean 2nd gen Camaro and Mopar released the E cars (Barracuda and Challenger - personally, prefer the latter just a bit).
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    All of those T-Birds had fantastic interiors anyway, even if IIRC they eat through front end parts and are kind of pigs. Lots of style.
    I always liked those sort of clam shell buckets

A 64 Cadillac stored for many years in a garage is running on the road in just a day or so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8icuxtgvY
    not a classic, but probably really obscure. A Kia Amanti.

My uncle had one of the Citroen's, not the same color, though.
    Pretty cool car.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    benjaminh said:

A 64 Cadillac stored for many years in a garage is running on the road in just a day or so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8icuxtgvY

As little effort he took to get it running, it seemed to run surprisingly well. Not sure he told us everything he did to it before he took the first drive. I was amazed that he drove it on those rotted out tires. Did he even look at the brakes? Anyhow it was fun to watch.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited August 2019
    I think the tires were replaced on that 64 Cadillac. But yeah it was impressive to see that it still ran at all.

Today I went with my wife to scenic Madison, Indiana, for a day trip, and there happened to be a car show there at Bicentennial Park. This guy was proud of his 55 Pontiac that he found in a sorry state in a garage a decade or so ago. With the help of his son they did a whole frame off restoration that he showed me some pictures of. The hood ornament lights up, which can barely be seen in the top photo. He was about to open the hood to show the engine which is why things don't quite line up in that shot—because the hood wasn't all the way closed.

I always liked the mid 50's Pontiac's better than the Chevy's personally. Right off the top - the interiors
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2019
    He can certainly be proud of his 55 Pontiac. Great color (I hope it was the original) and great restoration work.
    He needs to remove the clutter in the trunk.
    Was the Pontiac Chief graphic in the carpet in the trunk original? I like it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Not classic either .. but at an Italian market I saw a last generation Lesabre with the full Florida. Black over red, cloth top, luggage rack all trimmed in gold with whitewalls. It was a site.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    tjc78 said:

Not classic either .. but at an Italian market I saw a last generation Lesabre with the full Florida. Black over red, cloth top, luggage rack all trimmed in gold with whitewalls. It was a site.

I've seen toyotas and lexus's with the same treatments here. Sometimes driven by potential FLoridian denizens returned here to visit or cars with Florida/Arizona plates.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

berri said:

I always liked the mid 50's Pontiac's better than the Chevy's personally. Right off the top - the interiors

I like the interiors but I never cared for the styling of the '55/'56 Pontiacs. The '57 was a big improvement.

My friend took the Kaiser out for a spin!

through a corn field?

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Knee high by the 1st of September? :)

1954 Manhattan? Nice car and pic too.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.