Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    Those $ payments are over budget (comfort level one) though. No particular reason, but my usual ceiling is $400/mo on a lease, or $450/mo (60 months max) on a purchase. Not getting a high end XC60, RDX or X3 for that lease. A smart buy on a service loaner or lightly used one though, with a trade of the RDX, would work. And make the wife happier so she can just keep it forever.

Just have to find something she really likes for under 40k. I’m hoping she gets hooked on the interior in the new outback! That would be an excellent car to keep 10 years or more.

I also want to drive a new X3. That might tip the scales.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

Those $ payments are over budget (comfort level one) though. No particular reason, but my usual ceiling is $400/mo on a lease, or $450/mo (60 months max) on a purchase. Not getting a high end XC60, RDX or X3 for that lease. A smart buy on a service loaner or lightly used one though, with a trade of the RDX, would work. And make the wife happier so she can just keep it forever.

Just have to find something she really likes for under 40k. I’m hoping she gets hooked on the interior in the new outback! That would be an excellent car to keep 10 years or more.

The new 2020 Subaru Outback might be a good option. Here's a positive review by Alex on Autos. But by the time you get a loaded turbo Outback it's almost the same price as an Acura RDX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaj7KxQY5MU
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    stickguy said:

I would like to hear your impressions of the X3, and why not try an X2 and X1.
    I liked driving an X1.....just a little Spartan!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2019
    Does anyone have a cure for the water droplets that fog up the rear view camera when the roads are wet?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

The new 2020 Subaru Outback might be a good option. Here's a positive review by Alex on Autos. But by the time you get a loaded turbo Outback it's almost the same price as an Acura RDX.
    Very persuasive in that segment. Seems to be a good value....almost need a turbo version though, 3 seconds faster 0 to 60, 5 seconds instead of 8.

pretty impressive package. I like it. Love the interior. Probably the base engine would be OK overall, but if we drove the turbo it would be hard to go back. But that price differential (over $4k!) is really steep for basically just the engine. Still, the XT limited (I would want the limited model with either engine) is not that bad at sticker since it is loaded. And that is before my VIP discount. Gotta get the wife to drive one. or at least sit in it!

The RDX MSRP is about $6k more. Other than being higher, and maybe a bit sportier feeling, not sure if it offers more. Not quicker, and less roomy. Would have to try them both to see.

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I would like to hear your impressions of the X3, and why not try an X2 and X1.
    I liked driving an X1.....just a little Spartan!
    we looked at both the X2 and X1 last year. Wife actually liked the X2 better, but it was really too small inside to be the primary travel car. I test drove an X1 and did not care for it that much actually. Nothing specific, but just overall how it drove and felt. Plus, you could not get some features on it that I wanted. The X3 overall, while more expensive, is much nicer to be in, roomier, and from what I have read, drives nicer.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

Does anyone have a cure for the water droplets that fog up the rear view camera when the roads are wet?

I recommend a dry cloth! You could go hi-tech by having a small fan installed to “blow-dry” the camera lens dry, but costly! 🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

get a VW> they hide the camera behind the big logo so stays dry.

plan B, wipe it off!

some cars though are better. My TLX stays a lot clearer than the rDX does.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    stickguy said:

Snake, sometimes they just didn’t notice (and depends on who and when the top got used). And it is possible that you had the bad (or here, good) luck to have it break during your test drive.

Positive note, once fixed, you shouldn’t have to worry about it!

Unless it’s a design defect that will reoccur over and over. Didn’t early 2000s Saabs have convertible tops that were impossible to keep working?

Get an independent inspection especially on a $20k car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

nyccarguy said:

Just curious to know if any of you guys know about any early build 2019 Macan Issues? Build dates in December 2018? Thanks!

Found this but it’s on the 2018 model.

https://youtu.be/c5xSTn016ZI

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

get a VW> they hide the camera behind the big logo so stays dry.

plan B, wipe it off!

some cars though are better. My TLX stays a lot clearer than the rDX does.

"Wipe if off."

That's troublesome when I put it in reverse to back out of parking at Chick Fil A and find the lens is like an
    abstract painting. It's not a good time to hope out, wipe the camera, and then continue. In retrospect, I could have done that though, in the rain.

I was hoping someone would say a certain spray or coating helps. I know my buddy's submarine had a special spray they put on the glass on the periscope at the time to clear water.

On the lighter side, I was expecting someone to say their brand has a rear view lens wiper the way some vehicles have a rear window wiper. I can just picture a little wiper on a Mercedes, e.g.. I can imagine going in to a parts store and asking for the 1/2" wiper blade for the replacement. Oh wait, that would be an MB only part available for less than $100?

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    Try putting Rain-X on it.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    edited August 2019
    @imidazol97:

Imid, I have never had a problem with my rear cameras on the Mercedes regarding rain drops or fog. The cameras are well concealed from rain under the rear lip of the trunk. Remember, it rains almost every day in the summertime down here, mostly heavy thunderstorms, so I would surely observe this phenomenon if there was a problem.

If you check where the camera(s) are affixed to the rear of the car, perhaps it’s the placement of the unit. I have 3 cameras in the rear end of the car and all are not obscured when it rains. I also have 3 front cameras which do get a bit blurry at times during highway travel from road spray during heavy rains.

2021 Genesis G90

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Clean rain (is there any other kind?) on clean roads isn't an issue. Problems arise in areas where the roads are dirty (especially in the winter and spring in the north) and spray coats the lens. Dumb as it sounds, getting in the habit of wiping the lens off from time to time makes a big difference. During our trip to AK and back earlier this summer, much of which was done in the rain on roads that had been salted and sanded all winter, the backup camera became nearly useless until I located the lens and made the effort to keep it clean.

If your driving is limited to places where it rains a lot and everything is relatively clean you'll have an entirely different point of view.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited August 2019
    The problem today was not from rain falling. I have had the car out when it was raining for a short drive to Kroger or the Post Office at low speeds. And my Malibu has the camera under an overhanging lip of the trunk. So rain doesn't hit it normally.

It is the mist from the front wheels and the cars ahead of me when I drove as I did today in a light rain on the interstate. That mist swirls around behind vehicles, just like it swirls around semi trailers.

I wipe the camera whenever I wash the car. This car is 5 years old and has 35K miles. It's protected much like guys do their Corvettes. If it's salty or snowy, the Cobalt makes the trip; the Malibu stays in the garage.

I may try the RainX on the lens.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,164
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

pretty impressive package. I like it. Love the interior. Probably the base engine would be OK overall, but if we drove the turbo it would be hard to go back. But that price differential (over $4k!) is really steep for basically just the engine. Still, the XT limited (I would want the limited model with either engine) is not that bad at sticker since it is loaded. And that is before my VIP discount. Gotta get the wife to drive one. or at least sit in it!

The RDX MSRP is about $6k more. Other than being higher, and maybe a bit sportier feeling, not sure if it offers more. Not quicker, and less roomy. Would have to try them both to see.

Checked Subaru website. 4 grand buys you turbo engine, navigation and sunroof (std. On XT Ltd., optional on Ltd.). The engine itself is $2.4k, which is the difference between respective “Touring” lines, otherwise equipped exactly the same. Much more in-line with other brands and more palatable as long as you like the “stuff” anyway.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

Drive in dry weather.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    I wonder if a Rain-X type of product would make a difference.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Clean rain (is there any other kind?)

Yes dirty rain, When it starts to rain it picks up any dirt, pollution, smog, pollen, dust and any other crap suspended in the air.

Thanks Dino. I did not realize the XT included the moonroof package, which I would be getting anyway. So that is not too big a hit for all the extra zoom. Probably an easier sell to the wife if I tell her it can outdrag the current RDX!

and for the camera, definitely try rain-x. I usually wipe my finger across the lens when going back to the car in the rain if I go behind it. But usually can still see enough.

stickguy said:

and for the camera, definitely try rain-x. I usually wipe my finger across the lens when going back to the car in the rain if I go behind it. But usually can still see enough.

Rain-X is worth a try. Maybe spitting on it like an underwater mask might help. I can just see you now, getting down on your knees behind the car and bending over to spit on your camera lens. Like to see you explain that to the people at Chic-Fil-A.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I used Rain-X on my prior car, which had an exposed camera. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but it couldn't have hurt. I also wiped the car down weekly if not more, so it seldom was very dirty.

The new car has a rear camera that folds in above the rear plate, only coming down when the car is in reverse (or manually selected). That seems to be a solution, even if it might be annoying if it ever stops retracting.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    fintail said:

I used Rain-X on my prior car, which had an exposed camera. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but it couldn't have hurt. I also wiped the car down weekly if not more, so it seldom was very dirty.

The new car has a rear camera that folds in above the rear plate, only coming down when the car is in reverse (or manually selected). That seems to be a solution, even if it might be annoying if it ever stops retracting.

That breaks at 50,0001 miles, immediately after the warranty expires!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    An interesting colored vehicle has been showing up in our condo complex. It’s a GLK 350 with chameleon paint. It changes color from blue to green to even a deep pink, depending on the light. Have any of you seen this? It’s quite eye-catching to say the least.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited August 2019
    suydam said:

An interesting colored vehicle has been showing up in our condo complex. It’s a GLK 350 with chameleon paint. It changes color from blue to green to even a deep pink, depending on the light. Have any of you seen this? It’s quite eye-catching to say the least.

Sound like a custom paint job.

https://youtu.be/kER5r5TcB1E

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

One of the many reasons “not” to own a Mercedes or other luxury German vehicle past it’s warranty period unless you have an extended warranty - i.e. a CPO that has unlimited mileage warranty for 6-7 years.

When my lease is up next November, the S450 will have only 25,000 miles on it and not a scratch or blemish (I hope). The residual is $58,000. There is no way I would buy the car at that price without an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty included. But Mercedes Financial Services (lessor) would never get that much for the car. $50,000 is about what it will bring at auction.

If I bought it, it would cost me about $4000 in sales tax and another $5000+ for an extended warranty. With all the technology on this car, owning the car without a warranty would be costly in the long run.

2021 Genesis G90

fintail said:

Sort of like the rear air dam on a Turbo Carrerra--opens up when it's needed.

Guess that's better than the rear view wiper I hypothesized.

suydam said:

That may be a new subtle kind of paint that just reflects the color depending on the angel. But this paint actually changes colors on your car;
    https://youtu.be/ZX8-iMTRQHk
    I don't think it is something I would buy....maybe for $100 it would be fun to have.

abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

One of the many reasons “not” to own a Mercedes or other luxury German vehicle past it’s warranty period unless you have an extended warranty - i.e. a CPO that has unlimited mileage warranty for 6-7 years.

When my lease is up next November, the S450 will have only 25,000 miles on it and not a scratch or blemish (I hope). The residual is $58,000. There is no way I would buy the car at that price without an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty included. But Mercedes Financial Services (lessor) would never get that much for the car. $50,000 is about what it will bring at auction.

If I bought it, it would cost me about $4000 in sales tax and another $5000+ for an extended warranty. With all the technology on this car, owning the car without a warranty would be costly in the long run.
    My friend who has the Audi SR8 was told large expensive cars aren't worth as much as they should be. People who buy it used don't want to pay a lot, for a car that could have very costly repairs. One electronic repair can cost $10000. Another reason why I may opt for something like a C Class or 3 Series next time around.

Well, here we go again. Tropical Storm Dorian is on its way toward the southeast coast of Florida. If it continues on that path and intensifies to a hurricane, which is the prediction, it can’t miss us.

This is what I hate most about hurricanes - the 5-6 days of stress and anxiety before it hits land. With earthquakes and tornadoes, you have little or no anxiety prior to the strike because they come and go so quickly.

I live in a concrete structure which can withstand a strong hurricane - it’s the aftermath that is worry-some. Electricity usually goes offline which also cuts water supply because the pumps go down as well as internet and cable TV. We have no water towers down here because of their vulnerability to hurricanes. No water means no toileting abilities. Cell towers also go down - so no phone service. I can charge my phone in the car. Gasoline procurement is another problem.

I have lived through 3 hurricanes - one of them (Wilma) was awful. Pray for us down here - we need all the help we can get. 😟

2021 Genesis G90

I was watching a neutral analysis of the potential for Dorian. The real meteorologist was showing there were two areas of shear air currents dorian has to go through to get to Florida currently. Those wind shears weaken the storm. Weaker is good...
    Hopefully that will happen.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Hope it's no more than a big rain, Mike. My aunt and cousin are in Boca, I'll be in Miami to cruise on Sept. 19.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Hope it's no more than a big rain, Mike. My aunt and cousin are in Boca, I'll be in Miami to cruise on Sept. 19.

Cruising in The Caribbean and adjacent isles can be worrisome during August-October for obvious reasons. I hope your cruise is delightful.

I have heard that cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) is less congested than Port of Miami and much closer to a major airport (FLL is less than a mile away). Might want to consider that in the future.

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

Edmunds gives a very positive review of the 2020 Outback. Since it's an all-new model that's just been introduced big discounts might not be easily available for a few months. In terms of a lease, I think the RDX has c.$3k in lease incentives, while the 2020 Outback might not have any incentives for a while. Both engines of the 2020 Outback have "stop-start," which I'm not sure I'd like. Edmunds recommends getting the optional turbo engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwUn9TMP5RE&t=28s

At least with Subaru I have a friend that’s a senior exec type, so I get the VIP pricing. I think it’s 2% below invoice, and no dealer fees. Not a big deal if it’s a car you can get steep discounts on, but great for a hot item not being discounted!

I might stop to price out an RDX. From what I’ve seen advertised, not really noticing incentives. Also not sure how inventory (2019 vs 2020) is running, and I’m sure if there are big incentives, it’s on the 19s.

Besides, money is secondary (relatively). Most important is getting something we both love and want to keep long term. And that probably means buying, so hopefully there is cash for that too!.

edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

At least with Subaru I have a friend that’s a senior exec type, so I get the VIP pricing. I think it’s 2% below invoice, and no dealer fees. Not a big deal if it’s a car you can get steep discounts on, but great for a hot item not being discounted!

In that case I think the Outback might be a good choice over the RDX. Honestly, I like the styling of the Outback maybe a little better than the RDX, just because I like station wagons. And functionally the small back windows in the RDX mean that it has poor rear visibility, while it looks like the 2020 Outback has good rear visibility. The 11" touch screen in the Outback also might be easier to use than the "true touch" pad system that Acura has for the RDX. The higher trims of the Outback look to me almost like a luxury vehicle. It isn't quite as fancy as the RDX, but still it looks very nice. With the optional turbo engine it has acceleration as fast a performance car, but with the room of a station wagon.

What color combinations do you think work best? I like the light interior, although the darker ones might be better for hiding dirt from dogs.
    Our dog is a yellow lab. Black is really bad with that! Wife also doesn’t want black. I like brown, she is not a fan. Beige or gray is best.

On the RDX, I’m pushing for red over parchment. Might actually convince her! Otherwise modern steel over gray.

Subaru, not sure but I like the green. I doubt she will.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

Our dog is a yellow lab. Black is really bad with that! Wife also doesn’t want black. I like brown, she is not a fan. Beige or gray is best.

On the RDX, I’m pushing for red over parchment. Might actually convince her! Otherwise modern steel over gray.

Subaru, not sure but I like the green. I doubt she will.

I’ve seen a new Acura RDX in that red metallic over parchment. Stunning looking.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    My daughters friends mom got one. She said it was fabulous.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @abacomike .....thought about you the other day. Got a shotgun email from Toyota announcing a TDR Avalon. I know you were looking at them as a next car. I liked the Avalon before, thinking it compares favorably to the Lexus sedans for a lot less money.

If Toyota massaged the Avalon a little bit, making it handle even better, might be worth a look-see.

Plus, those cars around these parts are selling well under $40K after discounts.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Stick....that is a hard choice, between an RDX and a 2020 Suburu Outback. If it was a 2019 Outback, the RDX would be a much better choice, though more expensive.
    Glad to decide. I like your color preferences, I like the Outback in that green color, but it is the one and only car that suits that color.

I think the new OB limited competes well with the RDX in terms of feature content, interior style and quality, and driving experience. A bit different design of course, but every bit as nice. If the interior is as comfortable as the reviews make it seem, the upscale (Volvo-esque) look is there. Plus, the wife might appreciate a simpler interface to use!

edited August 2019
    abacomike said:

Well, here we go again. Tropical Storm Dorian is on its way toward the southeast coast of Florida. If it continues on that path and intensifies to a hurricane, which is the prediction, it can’t miss us.

This is what I hate most about hurricanes - the 5-6 days of stress and anxiety before it hits land. With earthquakes and tornadoes, you have little or no anxiety prior to the strike because they come and go so quickly.

I live in a concrete structure which can withstand a strong hurricane - it’s the aftermath that is worry-some. Electricity usually goes offline which also cuts water supply because the pumps go down as well as internet and cable TV. We have no water towers down here because of their vulnerability to hurricanes. No water means no toileting abilities. Cell towers also go down - so no phone service. I can charge my phone in the car. Gasoline procurement is another problem.

I have lived through 3 hurricanes - one of them (Wilma) was awful. Pray for us down here - we need all the help we can get. 😟

The media loves to get you all worried and excited because they get ratings. If your building is strong enough to stand the storm just fill your bathtub and some empty milk jugs for drinking and flushing. Freeze a couple of jugs to keep perishable foods in the fridge. Then hunker down with a flashlight and a good book.

Now here’s something to really worry about:

VW is recalling a lot of cars because they can just “roll away”.

Dollar General which runs a lot of cheap variety stores just got fined by NY for selling oil which “was not suitable for any car made after 1930”.

Where would you even get such oil? Did they raid Henry Ford’s garage?

abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

I have always said the costs of repairs that would be covered under an extended warranty for the average car will be less than the cost of the extended warranty. Otherwise the company covering the warranty would go out of business fast.

But if it gives you peace of mind.

Aren't cars supposed to roll away? Or do you mean with no one in them? Wouldn't that make them self driving?

As for Dollar General, if you're buying oil at a dollar store you deserve what you get.

Snake, on average, yes you lose out. But it is really just insurance, in case you are the unlucky slob that has their engine self destruct out of normal warranty. odds of spending $5k on stuff that would otherwise be covered on the extended warranty are pretty low. better off banking the premium, investing it, and self insuring.

Aren't cars supposed to roll away? Or do you mean with no one in them? Wouldn't that make them self driving?

As for Dollar General, if you're buying oil at a dollar store you deserve what you get.
    Was that toyota with the cars that rolled away without the driver being in control?
    Or was it Ford with the transmission shifter problem?

abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

I have always said the costs of repairs that would be covered under an extended warranty for the average car will be less than the cost of the extended warranty. Otherwise the company covering the warranty would go out of business fast.

But if it gives you peace of mind.

Warranty--only would buy the manufacturer's own warranty.

I think the warranty on the 15 Cruze has paid for itself. It fixed a broken window regular, caused by son putting window down and up for the security at workplace. It fixed a water pump at 60K miles. It may fix a headlamp capsule where a plastic internal piece that is an amber plastic circle in front of the turn signal bulb has broken; the engineering design was dumb. The replacement means the headlamp capsule and removing most of all of the front bumper to access 4 screws that hold the headlamp unit in place. That's a two man job (or woman) when I looked at the video on doing it. I had thought if the warranty won't cover that, I'd get a replacement at a yard and replace it myself, but not with having to unclip the bumper.

I bought the warranty so son would have a car repaired by dealer for several years if I weren't around to be part of the maintenance on it, which was a possibility at my age when I bought the car for him.