Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, I think the whole dealership thing needs to be re-evaluated by the manufacturer's. They often more alienate, then inspire buyers. The manufacturers may be better off with small showrooms in retail areas where people can test drive a vehicle and order one directly. The trade in function can really be handled by the Carmax's of the world these days. Manufacturer's can also set up warranty contracts with repair shops they certify. It just doesn't seem essential in today's market to have large, costly dealerships and their often offensive F&I people.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    fintail said:

Paranoid people will pay good money for the false pretense of "safety". Probably big with new hoverparents too.

It's worse than that. A potentially costly innovation with dubious value? California will have a law mandating it within a year.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Saw another Uterus today, or probably the same one, garish in white with black wheels and yellow calipers. Makes a AMG G look tasteful.

I could see idiot safety nannies mandating the blinking CHMSL.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    There's a Urus in the showroom of my Jag dealer. Now, what was traded for a Urus??? Maybe it's the owner's, looking to flip.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Got behind an RX with a blinking CHMSL today, and not a minute later then got behind a Corolla with a blinking CHMSL. Most aggravating new feature I can recall, loathsome to the core.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I haven’t seen many blinking CHMSL here, but I’m sure we will. I haven’t looked at the dimensions but it looks like the new Corolla is bigger, like the current Civic.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Something tells me that dealer add on blinker will be a problem down the road, especially in damp climates.
    Makes me want to get a hammer out and have fun.

New Corolla is an every day sight here now. Inoffensive, invisible, just what the demographic wants. Not as "bold" as other Toyolex design monstrosities.
    I don't know if Toyota is going to continue to get top dollar much longer. HyunKia is putting out very nice new stuff with a lot more value for the buck and Toyota, as well as Honda, don't have that prior big lead in quality and reliability anymore as others are closing the gap. I recently looked at a new Kia Telluride and it seems to really spank the Highlander and Pilot, both as a vehicle and as a value proposition.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,538
    I have never seen a blinking 3rd brake light.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    stickguy said:

I have never seen a blinking 3rd brake light.

$499 accessory on all VWs where I got the Jetta.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I've mostly seen them out west
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Are the blinking high-mounted brake lights an actual full assembly or just a different bulb that replaces the OE one?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

Are the blinking high-mounted brake lights an actual full assembly or just a different bulb that replaces the OE one?

I honestly don't know what it is. Probably a kit of some sort

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

They are some kind of circuit thing that dealers use as another dealer pack to jack up list price. Claim the fast blinking light prevents accidents, but don't really see any validation of that.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    Not sure how effective the blinking brake lights are, kind of remind me of those randomly flashing trailer lights you see behind a semi, at times.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I wonder if some who aren't used to them just stare at them and end up rear ending the car???
    They make me think of someone brake checking,
    Saw a new-style E450 wagon in traffic locally, Selenite Gray outside, black inside. Impressive-looking vehicle though the paint color didn't do much for me. Seriously expensive here, probably well north of $80K in worthless Canadian dollars.

How about a chrome wrapped Model X? Yes, they do exist.
    You can load em up well past $90K in overvalued greenbacks. Funny, with exchange rate shenanigans and different option groupings, such cars spec for spec are often a bit cheaper north of the border.
    ab348 said:

Saw a new-style E450 wagon in traffic locally, Selenite Gray outside, black inside. Impressive-looking vehicle though the paint color didn't do much for me. Seriously expensive here, probably well north of $80K in worthless Canadian dollars.

berri said:

They are some kind of circuit thing that dealers use as another dealer pack to jack up list price. Claim the fast blinking light prevents accidents, but don't really see any validation of that.

I think something like this would be far more effective and pleasant to look at.

JC Whitney catalog?

Not sure, but since it offers only "acrylon-like fur" and not REAL acrylon I would guess so. :p

The idea behind the CHMSL? :)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Yesterday I saw a new Cadillac XT4 on the road, which I thought was a good looking car.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Saw a Maserati Levante yesterday. Not sure why Maseratis are so popular in pickup obsessed North Texas.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    New Supra in white. Wife was like, that’s a Toyota?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

BMYota or ToyMW.
    Now Fin, your first new Supra name would seem to convey the Supra is a POS , at least in medical terms B)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,055
    edited September 2019
    I’d buy one of these.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Looks look Eva slightly squished Volvo C30. I like it. New scirocco?

Yup

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    fintail said:

Got behind an RX with a blinking CHMSL today, and not a minute later then got behind a Corolla with a blinking CHMSL. Most aggravating new feature I can recall, loathsome to the core.

I've seen a few of those that blink 3 times and then switch to steady burn. I assumed they were manufacturer OEM on certain models.

The first car that I saw that did something similar was a Mercedes maybe 15 years ago. The taillights blinked once brighter than normal as the brake pedal was depressed. This is long ago, but it seemed I read something about that occurred if the brake was hit harder than average as in an emergency stop mode.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

kyfdx said:

Yup

My first love, I mean, car. Ok, same thing!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited September 2019

kyfdx said:

Yup

My first love, I mean, car. Ok, same thing!
    Same here, mine was a '79, black like this, stripe included:

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I always liked those, and they even had a plaid interior like the later GTI. I’ve owned multiple VWs from 79-06. I had a good relationship with a VW salesman that I bought or referred to many times. When ever a new model would be introduced he would call or send me a note to come drive it. When the Corrado was introduced and had the supercharged engine I was excited to drive it. It was coarse and not very satisfying to drive and was expecting much more. What a difference the VR6 made!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

My '78 was white over black, with Recaro seats. I was none too pleased that VW took styling in house for the second gen Scirocco, the exterior was a bit too bulbous for me. The most recent iterations look pretty good, though!

My biggest regret from 1977, is that I didn't steal $1000, so that I could get a Scirocco, instead of a Cobra II

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    You can imagine the improvement in driving fun I had, coming from a '72 Duster with a 198 slant 6!
    kyfdx said:

My biggest regret from 1977, is that I didn't steal $1000, so that I could get a Scirocco, instead of a Cobra II

But, Mustang 2, boredom 0!
    I loved my Scirocco, as did rust. So light and tossable. Purty, too.

kyfdx said:

I could've used that same $1000 in 1991 to get a Sentra SE-R, rather than the SE I ended up getting

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I used to know a girl named Aura Lee who had a 2nd-gen Scirocco. Fun car, fun gal.

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

I could've used that same $1000 in 1991 to get a Sentra SE-R, rather than the SE I ended up getting
    Bought the ex a '92 Sentra SE-R. Taught her to drive the stick, which carried over to the '95 Saab 900. Alas, that was the last stick for me/us. To this date...

same here. $1k might have upgraded me from the 1985 Colt GTS (turbo package, sans turbo) to a GTI or Corolla SR5

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Saw a TSX A-Spec today in Royal Blue with what looked like red interior. I was behind it at a stop light, so the interior color was a bit hard to see with the tint. Looked sharp.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Bought the ex a '92 Sentra SE-R. Taught her to drive the stick, which carried over to the '95 Saab 900. Alas, that was the last stick for me/us. To this date...
    My other choice in '91 was the Civic Si. However, insurance guy told me it would be more expensive than the Sentra.

In retrospect, I should have convinced the then-wife that we needed to spring for the SE-R

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Old School Silver vs. Modern Silver

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@fintail cousin to your newer wagon
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

My other choice in '91 was the Civic Si. However, insurance guy told me it would be more expensive than the Sentra.

In retrospect, I should have convinced the then-wife that we needed to spring for the SE-R
    then-wife

Bad choices result in bad consequences ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator