Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    abacomike said:

If I bought it, it would cost me about $4000 in sales tax and another $5000+ for an extended warranty. With all the technology on this car, owning the car without a warranty would be costly in the long run.

I don't know anything about leases other than some vary from state to state. But haven't you already paid the sales tax on the original purchase price in your lease payments? Do you have to pay the sales tax again if you are buying the car at the residual agreement price?

Have you priced the extended warranty?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    Ford among others had issues with it.

Really user error. Put the parking brake on, and car wont go anywhere. Everyone in my family had it drilled into them to always do it. When you drive a stick for 30+ years, it’s second nature, and always do it on an AT car too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    edited August 2019
    Odd thing about parking brakes. I seldom use mine unless I park on a hill. But my 2011 Regal had an electric parking brake and I used it all the time. Worked well and very convenient just to flip a toggle switch on the console. But neither ATS has that (it was available only with the absolute top option package apparently), relying on a foot pedal, which I dislike and seldom use. I get that an electric brake is more expensive but I think it is far better from a user standpoint. Even the old-style handle between the seats is preferable to a pedal in my view.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I hate the pedal in the RDX. TLX is electronic. Though I still like the handle. It’s like comfort food!

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

I used Rain-X on my prior car, which had an exposed camera. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but it couldn't have hurt. I also wiped the car down weekly if not more, so it seldom was very dirty.

The new car has a rear camera that folds in above the rear plate, only coming down when the car is in reverse (or manually selected). That seems to be a solution, even if it might be annoying if it ever stops retracting.

That breaks at 50,0001 miles, immediately after the warranty expires!
    One of the many reasons “not” to own a Mercedes or other luxury German vehicle past it’s warranty period unless you have an extended warranty - i.e. a CPO that has unlimited mileage warranty for 6-7 years.

When my lease is up next November, the S450 will have only 25,000 miles on it and not a scratch or blemish (I hope). The residual is $58,000. There is no way I would buy the car at that price without an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty included. But Mercedes Financial Services (lessor) would never get that much for the car. $50,000 is about what it will bring at auction.

If I bought it, it would cost me about $4000 in sales tax and another $5000+ for an extended warranty. With all the technology on this car, owning the car without a warranty would be costly in the long run.
    I have always said the costs of repairs that would be covered under an extended warranty for the average car will be less than the cost of the extended warranty. Otherwise the company covering the warranty would go out of business fast.

But if it gives you peace of mind.
    It is like home insurance...we pay over $1000 a year for almost 50 years, and never made a claim. But, what if there is a huge fire? I don't have to want to come up with $100s of thousands to build a new house.

If nothing else, allows me to sleep at night.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

abacomike said:

I don't know anything about leases other than some vary from state to state. But haven't you already paid the sales tax on the original purchase price in your lease payments? Do you have to pay the sales tax again if you are buying the car at the residual agreement price?

Her, you would pay sales tax on the lease payments, and then you pay sales tax on the residual value of the car if you want to buy it.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154

abacomike said:

Mike is paying sales tax, every month, on his lease payments - but, this is only for the part of the car he is using.

Should he decide to buy it out, he would be responsible for sales tax on the buyout amount, which is what he is referring to.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564

Now here’s something to really worry about:

VW is recalling a lot of cars because they can just “roll away”.

Aren't cars supposed to roll away? Or do you mean with no one in them? Wouldn't that make them self driving?

As for Dollar General, if you're buying oil at a dollar store you deserve what you get.
    I’m assuming that the VWs are rolling without permission...as in rolling over you. Yes they would be self driving and homicidal too.

As to the oil, some folks have to save money where they can and might unknowingly buy junk oil to save a penny on their oil burner/leaker beast.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Now here’s something to really worry about:

VW is recalling a lot of cars because they can just “roll away”.

Aren't cars supposed to roll away? Or do you mean with no one in them? Wouldn't that make them self driving?

As for Dollar General, if you're buying oil at a dollar store you deserve what you get.
    Was that toyota with the cars that rolled away without the driver being in control?
    Or was it Ford with the transmission shifter problem?

I know my 97’ Chrysler had a problem like that where the shifter could be moved without the key in the ignition, just like in the old days. Never had it fixed under recall but I lived to regret that decision when one of my son’s knucklehead friends knocked it out of park and it rolled into his mom’s garage door.

More recent Chryslers (Jeeps I think) had a problem where the car could slip out of park with the engine running. One of the actors from Star Trek was killed that way.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@abacomike .....thought about you the other day. Got a shotgun email from Toyota announcing a TDR Avalon. I know you were looking at them as a next car. I liked the Avalon before, thinking it compares favorably to the Lexus sedans for a lot less money.

If Toyota massaged the Avalon a little bit, making it handle even better, might be worth a look-see.

Plus, those cars around these parts are selling well under $40K after discounts.

Thanks GG. I am really up in the air as to what I will replace the S450 with. I have 6-7 vehicles in mind with the Avalon being one and the ES350. Also need to narrow down the model year - 2020 or 2021. I will make my decision in 12-13 months.

Thanks again for the reminder.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Yes, Imid. It would cost about $5200 for an additional 2 years of warranty over and above the 4/50 for a total of 6 years.

I would pay sales tax on the residual or purchase price. I paid 7% sales tax on my $588 monthly payment.

2021 Genesis G90

Looks like the tropical storm’s forecasted path has just moved a bit north of where it was this morning. That would be good news for my area here - 15 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale. We are still in the cone of uncertainty. We’ll know more by Thursday.

Unfortunately Puerto Rico could take a direct hit - winds are 50 mph right now.

2021 Genesis G90

More recent Chryslers (Jeeps I think) had a problem where the car could slip out of park with the engine running. One of the actors from Star Trek was killed that way.

That was, IIRC, one of the early attempts at a non-intuitive electronic shift lever. Classic case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    abacomike said:

@abacomike .....thought about you the other day. Got a shotgun email from Toyota announcing a TDR Avalon. I know you were looking at them as a next car. I liked the Avalon before, thinking it compares favorably to the Lexus sedans for a lot less money.

If Toyota massaged the Avalon a little bit, making it handle even better, might be worth a look-see.

Plus, those cars around these parts are selling well under $40K after discounts.

Thanks GG. I am really up in the air as to what I will replace the S450 with. I have 6-7 vehicles in mind with the Avalon being one and the ES350. Also need to narrow down the model year - 2020 or 2021. I will make my decision in 12-13 months.

IMHO, @abacomike, the Avalon/Lexus ES are quite low to the ground, too low for you. You, of course, would have to try them and see what you think. I think they are as low or lower than the CLS you had.
    The bad motor oil story is true:

Retail discounters Dollar General and Dollar Tree will pay $1.2 million in fines for selling expired products, the New York attorney general announced Monday.

The investigation also called out Family Dollar, which was acquired by Dollar Tree in 2015. All the chains sold expired over-the-counter drugs, while Dollar General was fined for selling motor oil unsuitable for modern cars; Dollar Tree also violated New York’s bottle deposit law, law enforcement officials said.
    FULL STORY

I buy some things at a dollar store, like aluminum foil, paper products, pens, batteries, reading glasses etc. But, I wouldn't buy food, medicine, motor oil, dog treats, baby toys and things that could do actual harm.

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

IMHO, @abacomike, the Avalon/Lexus ES are quite low to the ground, too low for you. You, of course, would have to try them and see what you think. I think they are as low or lower than the CLS you had.
    Ouch, carnaught. That was the one thing I hated about the CLS - too low to get in and out of without further hurting my back. If they are too low or uncomfortable, I will have to rule them out. Thanks for warning me!

2021 Genesis G90

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    abacomike said:

Hope it's no more than a big rain, Mike. My aunt and cousin are in Boca, I'll be in Miami to cruise on Sept. 19.

Cruising in The Caribbean and adjacent isles can be worrisome during August-October for obvious reasons. I hope your cruise is delightful.

I have heard that cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) is less congested than Port of Miami and much closer to a major airport (FLL is less than a mile away). Might want to consider that in the future.
    Thanks, Mike. My choice would have been ex. Lauderdale, but the GF wanted the biggest, newest and shiniest ship available, hence Miami. Flying in late 19th, hope to lunch with relatives in Boca 20th and set sail 21. Port of calls include San Juan, PR...

Show the GF my old part time stomping grounds of Boca. Is La Veille Maison still there? Still 5 star? I'll google... My first Wendy's and Denny's experience were in Boca, good times.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

abacomike said:

Hope it's no more than a big rain, Mike. My aunt and cousin are in Boca, I'll be in Miami to cruise on Sept. 19.

Cruising in The Caribbean and adjacent isles can be worrisome during August-October for obvious reasons. I hope your cruise is delightful.

I have heard that cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades) is less congested than Port of Miami and much closer to a major airport (FLL is less than a mile away). Might want to consider that in the future.
    Thanks, Mike. My choice would have been ex. Lauderdale, but the GF wanted the biggest, newest and shiniest ship available, hence Miami. Flying in late 19th, hope to lunch with relatives in Boca 20th and set sail 21. Port of calls include San Juan, PR...

Show the GF my old part time stomping grounds of Boca. Is La Veille Maison still there? Still 5 star? I'll google... My first Wendy's and Denny's experience were in Boca, good times.
    I really don’t know if that restaurant is operating. I don’t frequent French restaurants to be honest laurasdada. Now that my daughter works in Boca Raton, I get up there more frequently.

Tomorrow evening, I am having dinner out with her st Coppers Hawk here in Coconut Creek. It’s her birthday on September 6th, so we are celebrating early.

2021 Genesis G90

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Will there be any food with that wine B)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    Dollar General is not a “Dollar Store”. They have name brands, we all know along with proprietary brands. Typically they sell the name brands in a slightly smaller package size to give the illusion of a much better price.

They are a huge company opening 60-70 stores a week at some times of the year. At a trade show I’ve spoken to their team member who does what I do. The scale is just so much larger than what I’m used to.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    One thing I wouldn’t buy at a “dollar store” are batteries.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154
    carnaught said:

Speaking of batteries…

We have a flashlight that we use when the dogs go outside at night. It was starting to dim a little bit, so I took a look at the batteries in it. Turns out the date on them was 2010.

Yeah, I'll be getting new batteries the next time I'm at the store.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

carnaught said:

I have bought brand names....Panasonic to be exact which is what Mercedes recommended. Can't find them anywhere else. Service manager said they seem to work best with the key fob in the 2014, which devours batteries.

Michaell said:

carnaught said:

Speaking of batteries…

We have a flashlight that we use when the dogs go outside at night. It was starting to dim a little bit, so I took a look at the batteries in it. Turns out the date on them was 2010.

Yeah, I'll be getting new batteries the next time I'm at the store.
    What brand....they must be good ones.
    I hate it when batteries leak all over everything.

I once bought soap at a Dollar type store. I thought I was getting Irish Spring and the package looked like IS, but, if you read it carefully it was something else like "IRIS STRING".
    Once I bought USB Sticks that wouldn't play back in the car....but, the brand name ones that cost about 4X as much work fine.
    Live and learn.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

I used Rain-X on my prior car, which had an exposed camera. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but it couldn't have hurt. I also wiped the car down weekly if not more, so it seldom was very dirty.

The new car has a rear camera that folds in above the rear plate, only coming down when the car is in reverse (or manually selected). That seems to be a solution, even if it might be annoying if it ever stops retracting.

That breaks at 50,0001 miles, immediately after the warranty expires!
    One of the many reasons “not” to own a Mercedes or other luxury German vehicle past it’s warranty period unless you have an extended warranty - i.e. a CPO that has unlimited mileage warranty for 6-7 years.

When my lease is up next November, the S450 will have only 25,000 miles on it and not a scratch or blemish (I hope). The residual is $58,000. There is no way I would buy the car at that price without an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty included. But Mercedes Financial Services (lessor) would never get that much for the car. $50,000 is about what it will bring at auction.

I have always said the costs of repairs that would be covered under an extended warranty for the average car will be less than the cost of the extended warranty. Otherwise the company covering the warranty would go out of business fast.

But if it gives you peace of mind.
    It is like home insurance...we pay over $1000 a year for almost 50 years, and never made a claim. But, what if there is a huge fire? I don't have to want to come up with $100s of thousands to build a new house.

If nothing else, allows me to sleep at night.
    Actually it's not like home insurance, auto insurance is more like home insurance. It protects you from causality losses and liabilities. Warranties protect you from repair costs due to defective parts and workmanship. With home insurance as well as auto insurance you are exposed to a much higher liability than what a extended warranty covers.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

I once bought soap at a Dollar type store. I thought I was getting Irish Spring and the package looked like IS, but, if you read it carefully it was something else like "IRIS STRING".
    Once I bought USB Sticks that wouldn't play back in the car....but, the brand name ones that cost about 4X as much work fine.
    Live and learn.

Hahaha. Those examples remind me of some of the ridiculously cheap stuff you see on ebay coming out of China with free shipping (how can they do that?), like USB sticks selling for less than $1.00 or knockoff electronic gizmos that are a fraction of the price one would pay here. Of course you get what you pay for. Does Dollar General have a return/refund policy?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    Does Dollar General have a return/refund policy?

Yes... again they aren't a "dollar store" like Dollar Tree. They are more of a variety store selling most of what a drug store sells (minus prescriptions) plus some food items, party goods, even car washing stuff.

Good little store <10,000 sq ft to get a good variety of items at Walmart/Target pricing without the hassle. The one near me isn't the prettiest, but others are pretty decent. They just opened one in the shore town we frequent that was actually nice inside.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

you see them a lot in rural areas, where there is not enough people to support big supermarkets. If you are smart about what you buy there, can do fine. And often convenient. Better than a gas station mini mart at least!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

The bad motor oil story is true:

Retail discounters Dollar General and Dollar Tree will pay $1.2 million in fines for selling expired products, the New York attorney general announced Monday.

The investigation also called out Family Dollar, which was acquired by Dollar Tree in 2015. All the chains sold expired over-the-counter drugs, while Dollar General was fined for selling motor oil unsuitable for modern cars; Dollar Tree also violated New York’s bottle deposit law, law enforcement officials said.
    FULL STORY

I buy some things at a dollar store, like aluminum foil, paper products, pens, batteries, reading glasses etc. But, I wouldn't buy food, medicine, motor oil, dog treats, baby toys and things that could do actual harm.

Agree wholeheartedly. I don’t go into any of their stores often. But, when I need things like cheap containers for storage, or misc travel items (pill boxes), seasonal things, I’m there. No way would I ever buy any foodstuff there (even for my dog), or anything automotive related.

Not a snob, but the old adage is true, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Although, they have these coffee cups that are made of plastic. Not the nice ones that insulate your coffee, but ones that you can use over and over again. I tend not to trust the ones you get at gas stations. I use my Dollar General cups, rinse them out after I use them. Put them back in the car to use again. Great for airport duty where you don’t want to store the nice insulated coffee cups you have to stash in your luggage or computer bag.

If I lose one, no biggy. They’re 2/$1.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Heard a news item on the radio about cr insurance and speeding tickets. Guess they surveyed people looking for quotes on insurance where they had to say if they had a speeding ticket on their record.

Across the board, 11.28 percent of respondents said that they did, but the owners of several models had much more than that.

Number one on the list is the Subaru WRX, a high-performance compact sedan inspired by rally-racing cars that came in with a score of 20.12 percent. It was followed by the Scion FR-S (19.09), Volkswagen GTI (16.92), and Hyundai Genesis Coupe (15.75) sports cars

The list detoured after that into trucks, with the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in fifth (15.35) and Ram 2500 Heavy Duty pickup (15.32) in sixth.

It then returned to cars, the top 10 rounding out with the Dodge Dart (14.86), Infiniti G37 (14.72), Subaru Impreza (14.66) and Hyundai Veloster (14.48.)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I finally got around to installing the BAVSOUND Stage One speakers in the Clubman- two 4" midrange coaxial drivers with point source silk dome tweeters. It was a true plug and play installation; I only needed a T25 Torx driver and a decent assortment of trim panel tools- I bought a full set from Amazon for less than $15. The speakers made a huge difference; well worth the $112. Highly recommended

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

PF_Flyer said:

Heard a news item on the radio about cr insurance and speeding tickets. Guess they surveyed people looking for quotes on insurance where they had to say if they had a speeding ticket on their record.

Across the board, 11.28 percent of respondents said that they did, but the owners of several models had much more than that.

Number one on the list is the Subaru WRX, a high-performance compact sedan inspired by rally-racing cars that came in with a score of 20.12 percent. It was followed by the Scion FR-S (19.09), Volkswagen GTI (16.92), and Hyundai Genesis Coupe (15.75) sports cars

The list detoured after that into trucks, with the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in fifth (15.35) and Ram 2500 Heavy Duty pickup (15.32) in sixth.

It then returned to cars, the top 10 rounding out with the Dodge Dart (14.86), Infiniti G37 (14.72), Subaru Impreza (14.66) and Hyundai Veloster (14.48.)

So I guess all those Mustang drivers are like me having received my last speeding ticket during the Nixon administration or else they are good liars.

PF_Flyer said:

How come no Mustangs, Mercedes, BMWs, Corvettes, Mazda Miatas, Jaguars....all the cars you would expect to see on the list?

Never equate price with quality.

edited August 2019
    Well, that tropical storm Dorian is forecast to strengthen into a category 3 hurricane as it approaches the Florida East Coast. That is a MAJOR hurricane. We here on the southeast coast of the peninsula are still in the “cone of uncertainty” so, if it continues on that path by tomorrow afternoon, I will have to stock up on dry goods in the event of a power outage.

I have to fill up about 6 gallon jugs of water just in case - when we lose power, we also lose water. I filled the car up with a full tank of gas this morning.

I am sure starting to become anxious again like I always do in the 3-5 day anticipatory period before landfall. These forecasters have no idea where this thing is going to hit. 😟😗😩

2021 Genesis G90

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

How come no Mustangs, Mercedes, BMWs, Corvettes, Mazda Miatas, Jaguars....all the cars you would expect to see on the list?
    We didn't get caught...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

The study is flawed as it is only looking at requests for insurance quotes. This means people who got tickets but didn't shop around for insurance wouldn't have shown up. Also you have to wonder if someone gets insurance quotes from multiple companies does it increase the ranking of that car. Maybe the WRX is so high is because one owner got quotes from every insurance company.

Another thing is what if they have a mustang for fun, got a speeding ticket on that but requested a quote on the daily driver they just bought.

I would suspect that if you took a random sample of speeding tickets and looked at the cars being driven at the time the results would differ.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    edited August 2019

I finally got around to installing the BAVSOUND Stage One speakers in the Clubman- two 4" midrange coaxial drivers with point source silk dome tweeters. It was a true plug and play installation; I only needed a T25 Torx driver and a decent assortment of trim panel tools- I bought a full set from Amazon for less than $15. The speakers made a huge difference; well worth the $112. Highly recommended

I replaced the front speakers in the Prelude and even with the stock head unit and rear speakers it made a tremendous difference. Did you do all of them or just the front?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited August 2019
    driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

That's what made it sort of interesting. I mean, I get it that WRX folks think they are all rally drivers :)
    edited August 2019

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

The study is flawed as it is only looking at requests for insurance quotes. This means people who got tickets but didn't shop around for insurance wouldn't have shown up. Also you have to wonder if someone gets insurance quotes from multiple companies does it increase the ranking of that car. Maybe the WRX is so high is because one owner got quotes from every insurance company.

Another thing is what if they have a mustang for fun, got a speeding ticket on that but requested a quote on the daily driver they just bought.

I would suspect that if you took a random sample of speeding tickets and looked at the cars being driven at the time the results would differ.
    WRX on top in this 2014 article as well. Similar kind of thing, percentage of drivers reporting. Would be interesting to compare with tickets given out by police
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    abacomike said:

Well, that tropical storm Dorian is forecast to strengthen into a category 3 hurricane as it approaches the Florida East Coast. That is a MAJOR hurricane. We here on the southeast coast of the peninsula are still in the “cone of uncertainty” so, if it continues on that path by tomorrow afternoon, I will have to stock up on dry goods in the event of a power outage.

I have to fill up about 6 gallon jugs of water just in case - when we lose power, we also lose water. I filled the car up with a full tank of gas this morning.

I am sure starting to become anxious again like I always do in the 3-5 day anticipatory period before landfall. These forecasters have no idea where this thing is going to hit. 😟😗😩

It's early in the season. I remember a chart of data on number of hurricanes that actually hit the US in the average season and I believe it was 1 or 1.5.

The warm waters of the Gulf Current are going to wind it up some. I keep hoping that it makes the all too familiar turn to the north. The forecasters mentioned a shear blowing northeast in that same area that weakens the ability to spin up in power. I hope that means the high pressure off to the north that's supposedly going to drive the storm into Florida will actually be weak and let it move typically north by northeast and weaken along the coast.

The current pic I see shows the eye hitting above Cape Kennedy.

Here's hoping.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    pensfan83 said:

I replaced the front speakers in the Prelude and even with the stock head unit and rear speakers it made a tremendous difference. Did you do all of them or just the front?
    Just the front- that’s the only setup BAVSOUND sells for that car. BAVSOUND makes speaker and amplifier upgrades for some BMWs and Minis that replace everything.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

abacomike said:

It's early in the season. I remember a chart of data on number of hurricanes that actually hit the US in the average season and I believe it was 1 or 1.5.

The warm waters of the Gulf Current are going to wind it up some. I keep hoping that it makes the all too familiar turn to the north. The forecasters mentioned a shear blowing northeast in that same area that weakens the ability to spin up in power. I hope that means the high pressure off to the north that's supposedly going to drive the storm into Florida will actually be weak and let it move typically north by northeast and weaken along the coast.

Here's hoping.
    They are now predicting landfall down here between Ft. Lauderdale and Daytona Beach late Sunday/early Monday as a category 3 hurricane. The next 48 hours will tell the story - it’s the westward movement once it is steered by the high pressure system that worries me.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Here's hoping.
    They are now predicting landfall down here between Ft. Lauderdale and Daytona Beach late Sunday/early Monday as a category 3 hurricane. The next 48 hours will tell the story - it’s the westward movement once it is steered by the high pressure system that worries me.
    Hope it doesn't head toward Tampa!

PF_Flyer said:

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

That's what made it sort of interesting. I mean, I get it that WRX folks think they are all rally drivers :)
    Certain types of cars always seem to be speeding...WRX for sure, Cruzes, 2 door Civics (especially if the driver has his baseball cap on backwards, smaller Mazdas.

Never equate price with quality.
    I would change "Never" to "You can usually".....thus the saying, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - which I have found to be true, with few exceptions.

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Here's hoping.
    Hope it doesn't head toward Tampa!
    Tampa is pretty safe from this one. It would have to cross the whole state to get there which would reduce it a great deal.

Had two nice car experiences today. I took two of the cars out for gas. The station with the lowest price (30+ cents cheaper) was some distance away which gave me an excuse to get out on the highway.

The Kia must be breaking in at 3k miles because it returned 38 mpg on the way home. Pretty good for a car that isn’t suppose to be that good on gas.

I returned later with the Ford and got a “nice car” comment from the clerk.

To keep my Karma in balance the car gods blew out an exhaust pipe on the convertible.

driver100 said:

Certain types of cars always seem to be speeding...WRX for sure, Cruzes, 2 door Civics (especially if the driver has his baseball cap on backwards, smaller Mazdas.

Even worse for an insurer is cars most likely to have crashes. Here's a Hagerty article duscussing the most likely vehicle to be involved in a road accident - the Subaru Crosstrek.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/08/23/crazy-case-of-the-crashing-crosstreks