Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Speaking of the wife, she texts last night “my car needs gas”. Then she forgets to stop on way home from dinner, so it’s 9:30 by the time she remembers to tell me, and I’m not going out then. So I took it out before breakfast since I’m up first. Light was on, RTE sitting at 30 something. I really hate when she does that! So ran to ConocoPhillips to fill up. As a bonus when I got home, I cleaned the front and rear windows since they were filthy.

I spoil her! Must be genetic, because daughter is bringer her Jetta over Sunday for a “spa day”

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I can’t post pictures from my phone, but I just got a Carvana ad on Facebook advertising a 2014 FJ Cruiser with 78,000 miles for $27,700. What did those sell for new? Seems high for a two door 4Runner with worse visibility.
  • Options
    As to shopping, I mentioned this AM something about how if that V60 CC had not been taken, it would probably be getting delivered tomorrow. Then I showed her some pretty colored Tiguans. She said “I don’t want a Tiguan, I want an RDX”

She’s stubborn, but I still got some tricks up my sleeve.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

thebean said:

ab348 said:

I love it when the red mist of car-buying frenzy descends upon @stickguy. It is always entertaining to see him posting about all his various schemes and the never-ending plethora of possible alternatives. Somehow I get a mental picture of the fast-talking 3-card monte dealers and "find the pea" operators that used to be (maybe still are) on NYC streetcorners with their nonstop chatter. Mrs. Stickguy must be a saint. :D

@stickguy = @iluvmysephia? B)
    I still feel like a part of me is missing not having seen him buy a car.
    I’m guessing, he still hasn’t, but IS STILL scheming a way to BS his wife to get permission to buy a used Sentra.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Anybody here within spitting distance of Naugatuck, CT? And who'd be willing to lay eyes on a vehicle for me?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Is it just me or do you ever want to say to ALEX ON AUTOS....”just get to the point, please!!!!!!”
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    corvette said:

I can’t post pictures from my phone, but I just got a Carvana ad on Facebook advertising a 2014 FJ Cruiser with 78,000 miles for $27,700. What did those sell for new? Seems high for a two door 4Runner with worse visibility.

They became somewhat of a collector's item for some strange reason. One of those vehicles they couldn't give away when new but now everyone wants. And, yes, they are that expensive.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Anybody here within spitting distance of Naugatuck, CT? And who'd be willing to lay eyes on a vehicle for me?

About an hour from Bradd.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

Is it just me or do you ever want to say to ALEX ON AUTOS....”just get to the point, please!!!!!!”

Only during every review.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    qbrozen said:

It is about an hour from me (in a direction that I don't normally travel). PM me if you don't want to make the details public.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    That's about the end of the run for those, probably pretty rare. IIRC the later ones are improved over the earlier model years - not requiring premium at least. They've always had insane resale as were trendy in some markets (like where I am), and it'll no doubt be snapped up by an urban adventurer using it for the tough roads between the faceless office campus and generic townhouse development.
    corvette said:

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

It is about an hour from me (in a direction that I don't normally travel). PM me if you don't want to make the details public.
    Oh, I can't make you drive an hour.

It would be so much easier if these dealers would just respond to requests.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    stickguy said:

As to shopping, I mentioned this AM something about how if that V60 CC had not been taken, it would probably be getting delivered tomorrow. Then I showed her some pretty colored Tiguans. She said “I don’t want a Tiguan, I want an RDX”

She’s stubborn, but I still got some tricks up my sleeve.

That seems like pretty clear direction from where I sit. Use those tricks at your peril.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Only during every review.
    Not me. If it’s a vehicle I’m thinking about I like the detail. Besides, there’s a fast forward button at the bottom.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Hold my beer.

I’m up for a challenge.

• Options
    I like Redline Reviews more, personally. And yes, I use fast forward liberally.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Hold my beer.

I’m up for a challenge.

Maybe you really are @iluvmysephia1 after all!!!

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    I enjoy reading how all of us go about buying a car differently, some operate in stealth mode, for some it's like watching a Netflix documentary, and others playing a game of Clue.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Well, she’s not an expert. My job is to determine the best option all around for us, for the next 10 years (cost up front and ongoing, functionality, etc.). Then convince her it was her idea all along.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    stickguy said:

Speaking of the wife, she texts last night “my car needs gas”. Then she forgets to stop on way home from dinner, so it’s 9:30 by the time she remembers to tell me, and I’m not going out then. So I took it out before breakfast since I’m up first. Light was on, RTE sitting at 30 something. I really hate when she does that! So ran to ConocoPhillips to fill up. As a bonus when I got home, I cleaned the front and rear windows since they were filthy.

I spoil her! Must be genetic, because daughter is bringer her Jetta over Sunday for a “spa day”

I almost always gas up the cars too. I'm not sure what the big deal is.... this is Jersey we don't even have to get out of the car.

The Volvo was at 60 miles to empty on Monday. Wife has had for three days now. She only drives 10 miles a day so theoretically it still has some in the tank. I'm curious if she will fill it tonight or leave it to me. I've already told her it gets Premium but have a sneaky suspicion she will put regular in it not thinking.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

I enjoy reading how all of us go about buying a car differently, some operate in stealth mode, for some it's like watching a Netflix documentary, and others playing a game of Clue.

Just trying to make it a surprise. LOL

• Options
    Well, I have been told I’m supposed to keep you all entertained, so doing my best.

But yeah, the different styles are interesting.

• Options
    Oh no, please do....I didn't mean that in a bad way for anyone, it's entertaining to follow.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Hold my beer.

I’m up for a challenge.

Maybe you really are @iluvmysephia1 after all!!!
    The jig will be up if we start seeing him steer Mrs. Stick to Nissan dealers, haha.
  • Options
    I’m not sure any of us could truly surprise the board. I mean, we have all made our preferences pretty clear over the years.

I had someone reach out about the bimmer. Awaiting a follow-up. I’m a bit surprised it wasn’t snatched up fast given the far worse 2019 deals right now. But maybe the accident history is holding it back.

• Options
    If it doesn't go on LH, throw it on SAL with a $1000 DP... it will be gone quickly.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I almost always gas up the cars too. I'm not sure what the big deal is.... this is Jersey we don't even have to get out of the car.

I was in NJ a few moths ago and filled up my own tank. Whoops! The attendant didn’t say anything.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Whereabouts?

If Wawa is really busy I'll do my own... they generally don't like you doing it.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

If it doesn't go on LH, throw it on SAL with a $1000 DP... it will be gone quickly.

You mean for them to give me $1k, I hope? Haha.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I’m not sure any of us could truly surprise the board. I mean, we have all made our preferences pretty clear over the years.

I had someone reach out about the bimmer. Awaiting a follow-up. I’m a bit surprised it wasn’t snatched up fast given the far worse 2019 deals right now. But maybe the accident history is holding it back.

That's true.

As for the BMW, since it's a lease I don't know what would hold someone back. It was repaired near perfectly, there's no DV concerns, and it's only someone's problem for what, another 12 months before BMWFS has to worry about it.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

My job is to determine the best option all around for us, for the next 10 years (cost up front and ongoing, functionality, etc.).

10 years?!?

That's the most entertaining thing you've posted yet! :p

• Options
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

Yes absolutely. Your payment is too low for SAL! No reason someone less savvy than here or LH wouldn’t jump on a sub $400 3 series with $1000 OOP.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Whereabouts?

If Wawa is really busy I'll do my own... they generally don't like you doing it.

Somewhere off Mt. Pleasant avenue in Morris Plains.

Fortunately, it’s not necessary that they like me, just that I get a full tank. :p
  • Options
    Dead serious... if I hadn’t just signed the Volvo I probably would have taken it off your hands... Even with the black interior lol

• Options
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

Yes absolutely. Your payment is too low for SAL! No reason someone less savvy than here or LH wouldn’t jump on a sub $400 3 series with $1000 OOP.

100% agree. Also cough up the $5 to list it on your local CL, too.
  • Options
    Someone who's really in the know would also realize that's a cheap and easy way to get loyalty incentives for the next one.
  • Options
    10 years is the target. That was the deal with the current RDX. We were shopping in a more "budget friendly" range (like CRV), and I made the mistake of stopping at the Acura dealer next door just to check the new design out since I had not seen one in person. Whoops. She really liked it, and after that, anything cheaper just fell short, so we bit the bullet. But she had to promise she would keep it for 10 years. About to turn 7 so did pretty good, and it would likely not go anywhere if I didn't have a new car already.

so either it gets traded to cash out the equity, or she keeps driving it for another 2 years and change taking it just over 9.

if we get another fancy car with a price that will make my cold, puritan heart shrivel up even more, it will need to be around a long time. So long term ownership needs to be a consideration, one reason I like the Subaru.

I have now cut the "short" list down from 9 to 6, arbitrarily eliminating the Q5, Tiguan and Lexus NX. Just because it is my list, and I can do it.

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    @stickguy, have you read the consumer reviews on Edmunds on the ‘19 RDX? Lots of serious complaints about the infotainment system not operating as it should. Also a few about abrupt shifting and other tranny issues. These may be ironed out on the ‘20 models, but you never know. Food for thought.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Oh, I can't make you drive an hour.

It would be so much easier if these dealers would just respond to requests.
    C'mon man, you don't have to be nice. The name of the game in here is to get a punch.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    thebean said:

@stickguy, have you read the consumer reviews on Edmunds on the ‘19 RDX? Lots of serious complaints about the infotainment system not operating as it should. Also a few about abrupt shifting and other tranny issues. These may be ironed out on the ‘20 models, but you never know. Food for thought.

I have heard some stuff along those lines. I know a poster here has one in the family (sister maybe) that had problems with the interface. One reason waiting a bit is a good idea, so they can iron out the bugs. And if there are still ongoing issues it could be enough to come off the list. Plenty of other options for spending too much money!

We did drive one but the wife just focused on driving. She would have to play with the features a bit to see if she would be comfortable with it.

• Options
    The RDX still doesn't offer AA either despite Acura's pledge it would be available after launch. Lots of displeased people on Acurazine and other forums.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    pensfan83 said:

The RDX still doesn't offer AA either despite Acura's pledge it would be available after launch. Lots of displeased people on Acurazine and other forums.

Sorry, obviously having a senior moment...AA?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    We are CarPlay people, so that’s not a concern!

• Options
    AA = Android Auto (in this context)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

The Volvo was at 60 miles to empty on Monday. Wife has had for three days now. She only drives 10 miles a day so theoretically it still has some in the tank. I'm curious if she will fill it tonight or leave it to me. I've already told her it gets Premium but have a sneaky suspicion she will put regular in it not thinking.
    Just be dramatic about it and tell her that if she doesn't put in premium, she risks ruining the engine, and you'll take her key away.... :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

Not sure why the history would be a problem. It is a lease, right? So, that should be of no significance to the next leasee, particularly since they didn't own the car when it happened (it's always harder to accept when it's your car that gets smacked).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    corvette said:

tjc78 said:

I was in NJ a few moths ago and filled up my own tank. Whoops! The attendant didn’t say anything.
    Did that in Oregon a while back. A couple times, actually. The first time, I just didn't think about it. The second time, I waited for several minutes without service, so I just did it myself. That time, the guy was really angry about it when he did come out as I was finishing up. Poor sap.
  • Options
    I like full service. I hate when they short staff the pumps.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

I like full service. I hate when they short staff the pumps.

In Oregon, short-staffing the pumps is SOP. In fact, they try to sell the law as if it is a safety thing, yet the attendants never stick around to monitor the pumping and be on-hand should something go wrong. It is just a mis-guided thing that needs to go. If people want attendants, then the demand will drive the supply.

And, staffing the pumps is not the same thing as full service. I also enjoy that, mostly for the banter during the process (I'll fill the fuel, the attendant will do things like clean windows, check tire pressure if I ask for it, etc). There's a Chevron in Pendleton, OR, that has GREAT service. I always enjoy stopping in there when we are in town.