Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited August 2019
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Certain types of cars always seem to be speeding...WRX for sure, Cruzes, 2 door Civics (especially if the driver has his baseball cap on backwards, smaller Mazdas.

Even worse for an insurer is cars most likely to have crashes. Here's a Hagerty article duscussing the most likely vehicle to be involved in a road accident - the Subaru Crosstrek.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/08/23/crazy-case-of-the-crashing-crosstreks
    Interesting list and I came close with my list of speeding cars. After the Crosstrek comes #2 car in the Insurify bottom-10 list. It’s the Honda HR-V. The rest? Hyundai Elantra GT, Infiniti Q50, Subaru WRX (hmm…), Mazda3, Acura ILX, Lexus CT, Chevrolet Trax, and Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

I think it is in more accidents because of:
    Lack of power
    More younger drivers buy them
    Possibly more older drivers....they like Suburus too
    They tend to be in urban areas, and around universities and colleges.
    And, I bet that big front end makes it hard to judge and it could be front heavy

Maybe orange is like a target.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Wonder why the HR-V has a lot of accidents? It’s sure doesn’t have a lot of power. Maybe a lot of older folks buy them and their reflexes aren’t as sharp as they used to be.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Hilarious line from Baruth:

"most automotive enthusiasts will never come any closer to one than they feel they need to in order to get the thing to stop blocking the left lane of traffic"

One can probably say the same about the HRV (and CHR and RAV4 and CRV and the rest)
    thebean said:

Wonder why the HR-V has a lot of accidents? It’s sure doesn’t have a lot of power. Maybe a lot of older folks buy them and their reflexes aren’t as sharp as they used to be.

Most days I have to get onto a highway where cars are going 70 and 80 mph. It is busy, sometimes I have to floor it and use all 339 horses to move ahead of speeding cars and large trucks. Sometimes I am grateful I have the power to do that. I don't know how I would get on the highway if it took me 10+ seconds to get to 80 mph.

In that article they said a Prius was even slower than the Crossover. Most Prius's kind of poke along, and they can be a real hazard for other drivers.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    fintail said:

Hilarious line from Baruth:

"most automotive enthusiasts will never come any closer to one than they feel they need to in order to get the thing to stop blocking the left lane of traffic"

I could never stand Baruch when he was with TTAC. Such a huge ego and the braggadocio was off-putting. He seems to have curbed that somewhat with Hagerty.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Same here. His ego and sometimes thin skin can be toxic, but he seems to have nailed the small crossover driving style, at least what I see here - people who are very timid in highway driving.

I only visit TTAC for Murilee Martin's junkyard segments, who is also the reason I first visited Jalopnik.
    ab348 said:

I could never stand Baruch when he was with TTAC. Such a huge ego and the braggadocio was off-putting. He seems to have curbed that somewhat with Hagerty.

Here's another interesting tale of woe about Toyota in Canada.

Why do I smell a botched SAP implementation here?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/toyota-parts-shortage-1.5261302
    It's been 57 days and counting since Halifax resident Catrina Brown took her leased Toyota Rav4 to a collision centre after it was damaged in a highway accident.

Yet, she still has no idea when the parts needed to repair her vehicle will arrive or when she will even be able to drive it again.

"It's seemingly incomprehensible to me that a massive corporation like that can't get it together to find parts for their cars," Brown said in an interview.

It's a problem being experienced by Toyota owners coast to coast, one the company says is caused by a "planned systems transformation to provide an improved overall customer experience."

But it seems the "transformation" is having the opposite effect on customers left in the dark about when parts will arrive.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited August 2019
    Forecasts look like we need to send @abacomike and other Florida denizens our best hopes for the storm to take a northern bend and skirt the coast on its way out to sea. Now it could be a 4 when it makes landfall.

Be prepared.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Not a snob, but the old adage is true, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Never equate price with quality.
    Perhaps that’s true regarding some things (cars, for example), but not all.

I can tell a big difference in a cheap piece of furniture vs the quality and workmanship of an expensive piece.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Forecasts look like we need to send @abacomike and other Florida denizens our best hopes for the storm to take a northern bend and skirt the coast on its way out to sea. Now it could be a 4 when it makes landfall.

Be prepared.

Yes - very troubling. My daughter lives in an evacuation zone in South Boynton Beach. We had dinner last night at Cooper’s Hawk and discussed her staying with me (cat too) if they issue evacuation orders.

By the way, last night was my first time dining at Cooper’s Hawk. Great wine, slow service, great food. I had the Mexican Eggrolls which were outstanding. She had shrimp with vegetables and 2 glasses of wine. Ambiance was excellent. $79 including tip which is a bit high priced, but worth it.

2021 Genesis G90

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Expensive yes, but for a mere $55k you could be driving a 2019 Audi A6.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRJ9z1lC3nQ
    The A6 always seemed to be somewhat overlooked compared to the 5-series and E-class, and I recall reading reviews of earlier models that were less than glowing. I like the exterior design of the new one but the idea of having to take a mild hybrid with all that entails in terms of complexity and weight in order to get the V6 would make me pause. I question whether the sharp handling they praise is worth the loss in ride quality and comfort they mention given this is a mid-size sedan. I also find it interesting that while they seem to praise all the interior tech early in the review, at the very end they say the user experience has taken a step back from the previous model. Odd. It may be that we have reached the point of negative returns with too much tech causing confusion and distractions.

ab348 said:

It's been 57 days and counting since Halifax resident Catrina Brown took her leased Toyota Rav4 to a collision centre after it was damaged in a highway accident.

One car was a 2016 Scion....which is pretty rare....one reason I prefer to avoid oddball cars. The 2018 RAV4 is a inexcusable though. And, they don't seem to have a reason for the parts shortage.

edited August 2019

I can tell a big difference in a cheap piece of furniture vs the quality and workmanship of an expensive piece.
    Lots of things, shoes, food, clothes, air conditioners, toilets - did I mention we have a Feister, watches, cars, cameras. Generally, the more you pay the better quality - unless you are paying for a name, but, then you are paying for a certain level of quality - IN MOST CASES.
    (and to make some people envious, which might be worth something to some people)

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

I would change "Never" to "You can usually".....thus the saying, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - which I have found to be true, with few exceptions.
    I would disagree with you there. Very often there are better options that are lower priced. The more viable alternatives the greater the chance that a lower priced item will either be better that the most expensive or will be close enough in quality to make the added expense not worth the cost.

A $50K Rolex might be better than a $100 Timex but is it $49,900 better? You see a lot of people buying big ticket items that are just low quality with an expensive name (I'm looking at you Dre).

Ever hear the term "over priced piece of crap"?

Again never equate price with quality.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I don't think the saying "You get what you pay for" came from nowhere.
    I can give lots of examples of things where a cheaper one could be better. One is Amish heaters that they always say are worth $200 but if you order now you can get it for half price! Then if you look at reviews you find the $30 Sunbeam is the best model, and costs a lot less. That happens a lot.
    But, as a general rule, most people who want better quality will end up paying more for it.
    I have bought cheap shoes, and it is like throwing money away, because not only did I waste my money on them, I have to buy the better shoes anyway - which I should have done in the first place. Never would I buy cheap shoes again!

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

True, there is a big difference between a $250 couch and a $2,500 couch. In most cases the $2,500 couch will be better. However it is possible that the $2,300 couch next to it is better.

I'm not saying that cheap is good. just that the most expensive is not always the best.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Don’t buy junk. False economy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Bartlett's Familiar Quotations says someone named Gabriel Bell said, "You get what you pay for" in the 15th century :)

PF_Flyer said:

Bartlett's Familiar Quotations says someone named Gabriel Bell said, "You get what you pay for" in the 15th century :)

A wise man indeed!

stickguy said:

Don’t buy junk. False economy.

I have seen people who think they are saving money, lose on the deal. The cheap thing is of no use and has to be replaced with what should have been the more expensive first choice to begin with.

You can save a few $100 buying a no name TV, but will it have the same picture and features as the more expensive model...and is it worth the extra amount to be able to enjoy that TV for years to come? You only get one chance at the game of life...might as well enjoy it as best as possible.

Or do you want to sit there squinting and standing 2 feet from the screen to try and see what they are showing? Or watch a football game and not be able to see the ball :o ?

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

A wise man indeed!
    Did he invent the telephone?

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited August 2019
    ab348 said:

Yet, she still has no idea when the parts needed to repair her vehicle will arrive or when she will even be able to drive it again.

"It's seemingly incomprehensible to me that a massive corporation like that can't get it together to find parts for their cars," Brown said in an interview.

It's a problem being experienced by Toyota owners coast to coast, one the company says is caused by a "planned systems transformation to provide an improved overall customer experience."

But it seems the "transformation" is having the opposite effect on customers left in the dark about when parts will arrive.
    Hmmm, maybe like healthcare, collision repair is "free" in Canada...but you do have to get in line.
    houdini2 said:

ab348 said:

Hmmm, maybe like healthcare, collision repair is "free" in Canada...but you do have to get in line.

No, but I wish we had free healthcare for pets.
    btw, Trixie is 10 months old now...she is the gray one in the middle, at the dog park;

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    That must be in miniature land.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Nice pup !
    houdini2 said:

Nice pup !

Be nice to Trixie...she is an American. Born in Kentucky at a Kennel Club approved kennel.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    bwia said:

Expensive yes, but for a mere $55k you could be driving a 2019 Audi A6.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRJ9z1lC3nQ

I’ve driven a few A6s for the company and they are very nice but like most German cars overly complex for reasons unknown to a peon like me. I’d love to have one for more than a few hours so I could learn the full benefit of the technology

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

I would change "Never" to "You can usually".....thus the saying, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - which I have found to be true, with few exceptions.
    I would disagree with you there. Very often there are better options that are lower priced. The more viable alternatives the greater the chance that a lower priced item will either be better that the most expensive or will be close enough in quality to make the added expense not worth the cost.

A $50K Rolex might be better than a $100 Timex but is it $49,900 better? You see a lot of people buying big ticket items that are just low quality with an expensive name (I'm looking at you Dre).

Ever hear the term "over priced piece of crap"?

Again never equate price with quality.
    If you can’t get a Timex for under $100 you’re shopping in the wrong store.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539

stickguy said:

get a VW> they hide the camera behind the big logo so stays dry.

plan B, wipe it off!

some cars though are better. My TLX stays a lot clearer than the rDX does.

"Wipe if off."

That's troublesome when I put it in reverse to back out of parking at Chick Fil A and find the lens is like an
    abstract painting. It's not a good time to hope out, wipe the camera, and then continue. In retrospect, I could have done that though, in the rain.

I was hoping someone would say a certain spray or coating helps. I know my buddy's submarine had a special spray they put on the glass on the periscope at the time to clear water.

On the lighter side, I was expecting someone to say their brand has a rear view lens wiper the way some vehicles have a rear window wiper. I can just picture a little wiper on a Mercedes, e.g.. I can imagine going in to a parts store and asking for the 1/2" wiper blade for the replacement. Oh wait, that would be an MB only part available for less than $100?
    Well it could be worse, like if you had a BMW, then you'd have to get the wiper blade registered. Otherwise the tranny might lock up so you couldn't put the car in reverse. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Some brands are better positioned than others so they don’t get as much flop on them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

get a VW> they hide the camera behind the big logo so stays dry.

plan B, wipe it off!

some cars though are better. My TLX stays a lot clearer than the rDX does.

"Wipe if off."

That's troublesome when I put it in reverse to back out of parking at Chick Fil A and find the lens is like an
    abstract painting. It's not a good time to hope out, wipe the camera, and then continue. In retrospect, I could have done that though, in the rain.

I was hoping someone would say a certain spray or coating helps. I know my buddy's submarine had a special spray they put on the glass on the periscope at the time to clear water.

On the lighter side, I was expecting someone to say their brand has a rear view lens wiper the way some vehicles have a rear window wiper. I can just picture a little wiper on a Mercedes, e.g.. I can imagine going in to a parts store and asking for the 1/2" wiper blade for the replacement. Oh wait, that would be an MB only part available for less than $100?
    Well it could be worse, like if you had a BMW, then you'd have to get the wiper blade registered. Otherwise the tranny might lock up so you couldn't put the car in reverse. :o

jmonroe
    My rear camera has done okay since. We had some moisture on the road the next day I drove it.
    And it was fine going to the Shell station to fill up before the Labor Day weekend before the tradition price increase that usually comes.

Just heard that Toyota is recalling a bunch of cars for defective airbags for the SECOND time. Oh oh!

And yet my fleet of domestic hoopties hasn’t even a single recall. Gloat.🤪

Clean rain (is there any other kind?) on clean roads isn't an issue. Problems arise in areas where the roads are dirty (especially in the winter and spring in the north) and spray coats the lens. Dumb as it sounds, getting in the habit of wiping the lens off from time to time makes a big difference. During our trip to AK and back earlier this summer, much of which was done in the rain on roads that had been salted and sanded all winter, the backup camera became nearly useless until I located the lens and made the effort to keep it clean.

If your driving is limited to places where it rains a lot and everything is relatively clean you'll have an entirely different point of view.

I don't think it's dumb at all. Bright minds seem to think alike. I have also gotten into the habit of periodically cleaning the camera lens on both cars when I approach them from the rear. Most people would be amazed how well a little spit on you finger can clean a rear backup camera lens.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    @jmonroe
    I’ve done that .. lol

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The latest forecasts for landfall for Hurricane Dorian puts it 25 miles north or dead on to where I live in the northern Broward and southern Palm Beach Counties. I am very, very concerned. 140 mph winds would devastate my area.

We are going to fill up the bathtub with water for flushing toilets. We have 10 gallons of water. We are sure to lose power. We have so many trees here that I am sure we will lose 70% of them.

This is going to be catastrophic for us.

2021 Genesis G90

@abacomike
    Stay safe buddy!! Don't you have family further north in FL? Should you head out?

abacomike said:

The latest forecasts for landfall for Hurricane Dorian puts it 25 miles north or dead on to where I live in the northern Broward and southern Palm Beach Counties. I am very, very concerned. 140 mph winds would devastate my area.

We are going to fill up the bathtub with water for flushing toilets. We have 10 gallons of water. We are sure to lose power. We have so many trees here that I am sure we will lose 70% of them.

It's still in a state of flux as to the exact path of the eye will go, so your area may not get the eye and may be on the lee side of the winds.

. The Weather Channel did the best analysis this morning with graphics that have been vastly improved showing highs and lows and telling how those likely will move and how they will influence the path of Dorian. Even a ridge of high pressure coming down over us from the great cold Canadian north (I threw that in for AB and Driver) has an impact on the highs and lows and the weak high that may keep Dorian from crossing FL.

The damage that could happen to your trees sounds like Hugo when it hit north of Charleston.

The silly meteorologists with their broadcasting school certificates in weather casting are using Dorian as a teaser asking if we will have rain in the forecast for Monday because of Dorian. Sad.

Hoping for a better ourcome.

abacomike said:

It's still in a state of flux as to the exact path of the eye will go, so your area may not get the eye and may be on the lee side of the winds.

. The Weather Channel did the best analysis this morning with graphics that have been vastly improved showing highs and lows and telling how those likely will move and how they will influence the path of Dorian. Even a ridge of high pressure coming down over us from the great cold Canadian north (I threw that in for AB and Driver) has an impact on the highs and lows and the weak high that may keep Dorian from crossing FL.

The damage that could happen to your trees sounds like Hugo when it hit north of Charleston.

The silly meteorologists with their broadcasting school certificates in weather casting are using Dorian as a teaser asking if we will have rain in the forecast for Monday because of Dorian. Sad.

I’m watching some nonsense on the Weather Channel where the guy is in a beachfront restaurant measuring the distance of the chairs from the ocean as if someone will be having lunch during a hurricane or that the business wouldn’t put the chairs in storage. Pure hysterical hype.

I do have family inland near St. Cloud. Trying to make us worry gets me angry. :@

tjc78 said:

@abacomike
    Stay safe buddy!! Don't you have family further north in FL? Should you head out?

My daughter has to remain here in the south because her job responsibilities require her to be on site during evacuations - she is the supervisor of a designated shelter for those evacuating from the coastline. FEMA contacted her to prepare her facility to receive evacuees. FEMA is going to provide her shelter with food and water for evacuees as well as cots and blankets.

She lives in an area that will also be evacuated. So I am going up to her this morning to load a bunch of her stuff into my trunk and move it down to my place. She will be moving in with her cat tonight.

So I can’t drive up to my brother’s place in northern Florida and leave her alone.

Everyone down here is quite anxious - the hurricane cannot miss us - heading right for my area.

2021 Genesis G90

Even if the storm makes landfall 25-50 miles north of me, because it’s anticipated to become a category 4 or 5 hurricane, it will inundate everything within a 100 mile diameter - a category 4+ or 5 hurricane is as strong a storm can get on our planet. 140-160 mph winds 50 miles from the center in any direction.

When Wilma hit us back in 2005 or 2006, it was a category 3 hurricane and it was devastating to my city even though the eye hit more than 25 miles north of me as it crossed the peninsula. Was without power for 4 days - no water, no electricity, and trees downed blocking car travel in all directions. No gas, no food available, etc. I had to go down to my pool to fill buckets with water so I could flush toilets.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

I’m watching some nonsense on the Weather Channel where the guy is in a beachfront restaurant measuring the distance of the chairs from the ocean as if someone will be having lunch during a hurricane or that the business wouldn’t put the chairs in storage. Pure hysterical hype.

I do have family inland near St. Cloud. Trying to make us worry gets me angry. :@
    If you have family in St. Cloud, they will experience heavy rain, but winds will have ebbed somewhat by the time it hits central Florida near Orlando. It’s the areas within 20 miles of the coastline that will be inundated. I live about 7-8 miles west of the ocean. Our area is not in an evacuation zone. Evacuation zones are based on storm surge and potential flooding. What is worse is that we are experiencing King Tides because the moon is at its closest proximity to the earth right now. Parts of Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale already are experiencing flooding along A1A (north/south road adjacent to the beaches) because of these annual King Tides. Add to that a category 4-5 hurricane and you can imagine the results.

2021 Genesis G90

Understood Mike! Stay safe.

If you haven't already... go to you local store and grab a few "power banks" so you can charge your cell phone without power.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sunfei-Ultrathin-12000mAh-Portable-External/dp/B0758GXW5F/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=power+bank&qid=1567171086&s=gateway&sr=8-8&th=1

If you have a Five Below store near you they will have plenty of them in stock for $5.00

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

A wise man indeed!
    Maybe so BUT he didn't have the choice of buying a Genny vs. a Benz. :p

jmonroe

abacomike said:

Last night NBC had some poor correspondent strapped into a wind tunnel with wind at 96 mph. They meant it as a serious segment, but it was hilarious.
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

A wise man indeed!
    driver100 said:
    » show previous quotes
    A wise man indeed!

jmonroe
    And, if he truly was a wise man, we know what he would have chosen.

We also reviewed the statement, "You get what you pay for".

driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

ab348 said:

No, but I wish we had free healthcare for pets.
    btw, Trixie is 10 months old now...she is the gray one in the middle, at the dog park;

I've never seen anything gray get so much attention...she must be easy. B)

jmonroe
    houdini2 said:

abacomike said:

Last night NBC had some poor correspondent strapped into a wind tunnel with wind at 96 mph. They meant it as a serious segment, but it was hilarious.
    What's even funnier (or sad) is that during this crazy ordeal you will see these crazy weather folks near a beach holding on for dear life saying how windy it is.

Dumb

Youtube is full of such videos

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

A wise man indeed!
    driver100 said:
    » show previous quotes
    A wise man indeed!

jmonroe
    And, if he truly was a wise man, we know what he would have chosen.

We also reviewed the statement, "You get what you pay for".

Yes, you paid for a Mercedes and J paid for a Genesis B)