Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    To me full service = someone else gets their hands smelly. I don’t want those people touching anything else on my car, including the windows. No way in heck I let them mess with the tires or go under the hood!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Was reading up on the passport. Looks nice but I think just too big. Especially wide. That sucker might have serious trouble fitting in the garage. We will still check it out, but my guess is wife won’t like it. But she might surprise me!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

AA = Android Auto (in this context)

Ahhh thanks. Apple house here too so it didn’t register.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    When I was in OR and fueled up, the stations were overrun with attendants in yellow safety vests. Sounds like staffing has gotten worse.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

She said “....I want an RDX” ...

My guess is that it would be wise to just get her what she wants.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    "call me maybe."
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    But not late for dinner!

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

Maybe. But I have to make sure it’s right for both of us. So far, she knows she likes her RDX, the new one is pretty, and it seemed to drive nice in a quick 4 square around the block. If she can figure out how to work the touchpad, maybe she can handle it!

Next service visit I’m going to chat up service dude about what issues they are actually seeing on them. Hopefully the 2020, the earliest we would get, are more trouble free. And one reason I’m reluctant to get a slightly used one.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

Maybe. But I have to make sure it’s right for both of us. So far, she knows she likes her RDX, the new one is pretty, and it seemed to drive nice in a quick 4 square around the block. If she can figure out how to work the touchpad, maybe she can handle it!

Next service visit I’m going to chat up service dude about what issues they are actually seeing on them. Hopefully the 2020, the earliest we would get, are more trouble free. And one reason I’m reluctant to get a slightly used one.
    My wife is also a creature of habit. She loves her Forester. Not *the* Forester, as in generally, but *her* Forester! Even now, more than two years after the loss of her "beloved" 2010, she still laments that car. She says about the "new" one, "This is the family car. The last one was MY car. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having it, but it's not *MY* car." LOL This, after she insisted that I find her the same thing she lost, and I, as well as a certain friend we all know, went to great lengths (literally) to find her what she wanted. /sigh

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    my wife has commented about getting confused by something in my car, and how she knows how everything works (well, at least the stuff she uses) in the RDX. So going to something completely different is going to be a shock to her system. Probably safer with something simpler, like the Subaru. A fancy BMW or Mercedes might be too complicated. Heck, I doubt she could get a new BMW into gear. Never mind using the radio or navigation!

edited August 2019
    Savage Geese likes most things about the new RDX, except he doesn't quite like Acura's true touch pad. But as he says it can get over the air updates. Usability is addressed starting at 8 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra00fdMCnZA
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Dorian is on the way here, or somewhere in Florida. Folks are going nuts already as the gas lines are long as well as the supermarkets. The Costco at my Hertz HLE was on the news as there was so many vehicles in line, the tanker couldn't get to the filling area! Have to work tomorrow but filled up last night on my way home and was home today. A3 is going to get online after dinner as it's only half full. Have a good feeling that the storm will turn northwards and we'll be just fine, just a rain event. But, we're ready as we can be. The kids in Orlando want to come home, so we'll see what they decide.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Good to hear from you, Sandy. Be safe as the storm does what it is going to do!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2019
    Good news on the automotive front:

Audi RS6 is coming to America!!!

I think we all know that the final outcome of this will be abject failure (from a sales perspective), but I am quite glad to see manufacturers continue to try!
    edited August 2019
    Despite the crazy overgrown jowl look on the front bumper shell, I still must say that VAG does a fine job of making elegant vehicles.

I also saw a Ford Fusion (~2012 vintage) up close the other day, and it reminded me of just how transformative that design was at the time, and how influential it was on this decade of cars. As much flak as Ford often gets on its cars, it has had an astounding influence on the automotive industry for a long, long time.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Wife mentioned a new vehicle for herself earlier. Was shocked as she's not quite at 50K yet. We got to talking about her next oil change and then what the Audi store wants to sell her for pre-paid maintenance. A lot of stuff for the $799 price, but then, she mentioned a new replacement. Also said she wants to do it when I do mine, she knows I have my sights set on a 2020 something. Turns out Hyundai has pushed back the intro of the new Venue model till next year sometime. And not sure what Honda will do about the new HR-V. Still need to drive the 2019 EX-L model to see how it really does drive. Only having a volume button on the audio system is a bummer really but I can get SAT radio, a must have. Also like the Corolla Hatch but doubt if Sirius/XM is an option.
    Was on the phone with Apple tech the other night and they got my iTunes account all synced so now all the 880 plus songs are on my iPhone like I wanted. Took about 20 minutes with the tech until she figured out what I was doing wrong. Turns out I was one step away from getting it done all this time! But it's all synced now and I'm a happy camper.
    Still not ready to start the search for new but I do know I'm going back to Japan or Korea next time out. Have done the German thing and though nice enough, I really want "cheap to keep" going forward and has to be able to run on regular petrol. Synthetic oil isn't required nor is a turbo if need be.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I fear that I'm actually becoming the new iluvmysephia1! I'm at least the anti-breld. I mean well, I really do want a new car, but iluvmyXF! And my meager $ still in the bank...

Co-worker flagged me down in my work garage last night, his Ody had a dead battery, so I offered to jump start. He asked how old my car was, what kind? He was quite surprised when I told him heading towards 6 y.o., and he told me it's just gorgeous. Sigh.

Call me superficial. Call me iluvmysephia2. Call me anti-breld. As long as you call me.

Unlike iluvmysephia1, you don’t spell “to” as “ta”- and you don’t constantly prattle on about how you lust after a low-rent penalty box that most of us find about as intriguing and desirable as a diesel Chevette.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    stickguy said:

thebean said:

@stickguy, have you read the consumer reviews on Edmunds on the ‘19 RDX? Lots of serious complaints about the infotainment system not operating as it should. Also a few about abrupt shifting and other tranny issues. These may be ironed out on the ‘20 models, but you never know. Food for thought.

I have heard some stuff along those lines. I know a poster here has one in the family (sister maybe) that had problems with the interface. One reason waiting a bit is a good idea, so they can iron out the bugs. And if there are still ongoing issues it could be enough to come off the list. Plenty of other options for spending too much money!

We did drive one but the wife just focused on driving. She would have to play with the features a bit to see if she would be comfortable with it.
    That was me. My SIL bought a new RDX Advance. Beautiful vehicle, she loves how it drives. But she has continued issues with the infotainment system, from slowness, to dropping connections, going black and not working at all despite repeated efforts to reboot. She is a tech person so this really rubs her raw. The dealers just throw up their hands, acknowledge the issues but have no resolution. She has complained to Acura customer service and has submitted a written complaint.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    edited August 2019

I fear that I'm actually becoming the new iluvmysephia1! I'm at least the anti-breld. I mean well, I really do want a new car, but iluvmyXF! And my meager $ still in the bank...

Co-worker flagged me down in my work garage last night, his Ody had a dead battery, so I offered to jump start. He asked how old my car was, what kind? He was quite surprised when I told him heading towards 6 y.o., and he told me it's just gorgeous. Sigh.

Call me superficial. Call me iluvmysephia2. Call me anti-breld. As long as you call me.

Unlike iluvmysephia1, you don’t spell “to” as “ta”- and you don’t constantly prattle on about how you lust after a low-rent penalty box that most of us find about as intriguing and desirable as a diesel Chevette.

I for one at least find the Diesel Chevette intriguing! :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

hopefully those are isolated issues, even though it sucks for her. And they figure out the root cause and fix it by the 2020 MY.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Let’s not speak ill of the absent.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    watched that review just now. i can see why he complains about the system, though seems that you are getting something similar with most cars now. I do worry that it will frustrate my wife if she has to use it. Though my guess is, we will set it, and she will never actually touch it. radio will stay on XM, and climate can run through the buttons. Hopefully can turn heated seats on with buttons. Would be nice to be able to use Navi, but unlikely. So must be able to get to carplay.

could be dicey!

but he certainly loved the drive. sounds impressive. not very efficient though. MPG is not very good. but drives like a sports car!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Thanks for the tips, folks. I just listed with SAL. Didn't want to be too greedy, so I am asking for just $800 down. And the listing cost $200, so really not much to me at all, but I guess something is something. I figure with the $800 over 15 mos, it still keeps the total payment under $400 for the new leasor.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• DaverceeDavercee Member Posts: 101
    "I figure with the $800 over 15 mos, it still keeps the total payment under $400 for the new leasor."

Hmm, seems like a good decision, after all.
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

but he certainly loved the drive. sounds impressive. not very efficient though. MPG is not very good. but drives like a sports car!

That savage geese guy clearly likes the engineering that Acura has put into the engine, chassis, and super-handling awd system of the RDX. But as you say, mpg with the RDX isn't that high, which is part of the cost of driving an SUV that's also almost a sports car.
    edited August 2019
    stickguy said:

watched that review just now. i can see why he complains about the system, though seems that you are getting something similar with most cars now. I do worry that it will frustrate my wife if she has to use it. Though my guess is, we will set it, and she will never actually touch it. radio will stay on XM, and climate can run through the buttons. Hopefully can turn heated seats on with buttons. Would be nice to be able to use Navi, but unlikely. So must be able to get to carplay.

could be dicey!

I hesitate to ask this, but if she's not likely to use the new technologies that have come out since her 2013 RDX, does she really need a new car? It seems like the two of you need to try out the "true touch" system and see if it works for you.
    edited August 2019
    Savagegeese on the Volvo V60 wagon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y56oBYyAfY
    edited August 2019
    I did an EPA mpg annual cost comparison for the AWD versions of the RDX, Outback, and V60. Estimated annual gas costs for 15k miles a year with the RDX were $2100, for the V60 $1950, and for the 2020 Subaru Outback $1500
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

That savage geese guy clearly likes the engineering that Acura has put into the engine, chassis, and super-handling awd system of the RDX. But as you say, mpg with the RDX isn't that high, which is part of the cost of driving an SUV that's also almost a sports car.
    Turbocharged 4cyl engines historically get crummy mpg in the city & do better on the highway in real world driving. People who aren't "car people" look at the EPA highway rating and think that is what their 4,000 LB, AWD SUV is going to get tooling around town. It doesn't work like that.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I don't even look at MPG with as little as my wife and I drive.

The Enclave is a total pig, the Elantra was pretty darn good but the Volvo so far has been sucking down premium at a good clip.... not that I would know since I've only driven it three times but I was told by you know who. Reality set in on that car too, first bill came in the mail and plates are in!

Good news is wife told me she remembered to put premium in it, so there is that.

What can I say. I’m cheap! But real world, the new RDX performs about the same as the old one, and seems to get comparable mileage. Which seems fair.

We would like to use the new features. Nav, car play. Certainly heated seats and stuff like that. So all that needs to be easy to find and use.

I do like the Volvo’s. But going to be hard to get what we want within budget. That’s a reason I really want to compare to the new OB. That’s affordable, turbo is fast, and it’s got style.

Actually, I always thought of Subaru as the Volvo of Asian brands, so that makes sense.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

I like Redline Reviews more, personally. And yes, I use fast forward liberally.

I do, too. I also like DRIVEN, which is a YouTube only review site by Tom Volk (sp?). He used to do reviews for the New York Times, but his dept was either cut, or he decided to go off on his own.

I also like The Fast Lane Car reviews.

They get to the heart of their car reviews quickly without a lot of fluff. I like that.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    suydam said:

Let’s not speak ill of the absent.

Personally, there’s nothing I haven’t said about him in here that I wouldn’t (and have, in these boards) say to his face.

He was insulting and demeaning to me personally. Yes, he apologized after I roasted him. But, still......he came in here with his schemes of how he was going to try and deceive his wife to let him buy a car, and go on an on about how he was a devotee of Dave Ramsey and in the next post talk about how he was underwater on his Kia and wanted to add that negative equity on his next car. Unreal.

I’ve said my peace. I’m finished on the topic.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    I am itching so badly to buy a 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL 63 AMG right now.

I think that I want to lease a Porsche Cayenne S. But, it's kind of a ubiquitous vehicle in my part of the world. Obviously, the Cayenne base is the most common, but the S and base are usually visually indistinguishable.

I've also weighed ordering a 2020 GLS 580. However, initial pricing and inventory on them is going to be super unfavorable. If the 2020 GLE's rollout is any guide, the 2020 GLS rollout will be filled with pitfalls.

I'm trying to figure out how much the 2015 GL 63 will depreciate since it is part of the outgoing chassis. I also want to know how reliable they are. I've read conflicting accounts. The 4yr extended warranty is $7580 from my credit union, and a shorter factory warranty from Mercedes is $6995.

I really shouldn't be getting anything.

In other news, low hanging tree branches cracked my windshield. :@

My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
    @stickguy
    Volvo's new interface isn't all that easy either.

The only "hard" buttons are the front/rear defog and a volume knob. Everything else is done via the screen.

I don't mind it, but it takes some getting used to. They do try and make certain things easy to access, but there are a lot of left/right swipes and various menus to get things done.

For example, to turn on the heated seat you first tap the icon, then select whether you want the seat or the steering wheel.

Climate? Touch the temp setting on the screen, then another popup comes up with a slider for the temp.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    @mb_enthusiast that stinks about your windshield. At least the damage seems confined to the glass and it won’t need paint work, so should be an easy fix.
    the TLX is a mix of buttons (climate) and touch. the temp is a rocker switch, but heated seats you touch that spot and it pops up the screen for heat or ventilate. But, pretty simple really. Nothing I can recall that is really menus, and the touch screen has obvious "buttons" to hit to pop up your options (like fan speed).

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited August 2019
    I like the interface on the Volt. Climate is a knob to adjust the fan speed and a knob to set temp. These are just below the touchscreen in easy reach. I use the touchscreen for infotainment, Nav, and charging. There are other menus but those are the ones I tend to use. The heated seats are controlled by easy to see buttons next to the gear shifter, one on each side. This isn’t my interior car color but you get the idea.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    That’s similar to the Hyundais and genesis I drove. Works well, and easy to use

corvette said:

@mb_enthusiast that stinks about your windshield. At least the damage seems confined to the glass and it won’t need paint work, so should be an easy fix.

There are scratches on the roof, but it looks like they can be buffed out by my estimation and the insurance adjuster's. Getting a Q8 windshield appears to be quite an ordeal, however. I am very worried based on what I am hearing that it could take a very long time.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager

In other news, low hanging tree branches cracked my windshield. :@

OUCH! That's not cracked, it's shattered! Bad placement, too. I guess your Q8 is official, now! :D
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    Speaking of windshields, the Outback got a crack a couple of weeks ago, while I was out of town. Under the passenger wiper, then eventually spread about 75% of the way across the windshield. Filed a claim with State Farm (yay for $0 deductible on windshields!), and took it into the local Safelite location.

Like many windsheilds today, the one on the Subaru has to be "calibrated" due to the Eyesight system. No mobile swap outs for us, nosireee.

2 hours later, new windshield in. I tested the Adaptive Cruise on the drive home and all is working as expected.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited August 2019
    How do I address this itch to replace my 2010 GL450? I've taken it to over 100k.

Of course...I should clarify...I have no intention of getting rid of it at the same time. I would prefer to sell it myself or to Carmax.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084

How do I address this itch to replace my 2010 GL450? I've taken it to over 100k.

Of course...I should clarify...I have no intention of getting rid of it at the same time. I would prefer to sell it myself or to Carmax.

I believe @breld had to replace the windshield recently on his recently departed Q7. IIRC, he ended up having to take it to the dealer, as Safelite couldn't do all the work at their shop.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I think I see a rash forming...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator