Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe
    I’ve done that .. lol

Another bright mind in here. Then we have...on second thought, I better not say. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Mike....wishing you and your daughter the very best. It looks like they are pretty sure Dorion will hit the mid and south Eastern coast at Category 4. Hoping it is not nearly as bad as they say it could be.
    WEATHER.COM

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    abacomike said:

Even if the storm makes landfall 25-50 miles north of me, because it’s anticipated to become a category 4 or 5 hurricane, it will inundate everything within a 100 mile diameter - a category 4+ or 5 hurricane is as strong a storm can get on our planet. 140-160 mph winds 50 miles from the center in any direction..

What is your altitude above sea level?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    @abacomike, stay safe. From what you say, your condo is probably the best place to be. I have to call my Delray Beach SIL to see how she'll get through this. After hurricane Wilma my now departed brother had hurricane shutters installed. They might get a workout with Dorian.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @abacomike, thinking of you, remembering my experiences with hurricanes while living there. As you’re doing, have plenty of supplies and stay safe my friend. Do you have something like Claritin for the kittycat?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The notice and lead time for hurricanes is helpful for preparations, but on the flip side it gives you lots of worry. Earthquakes and tornadoes tend to just hit with little warning. No matter where you live there is going to be something. But Aba, be safe and best wishes everything goes okay for you.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Don’t buy junk. False economy.

I have seen people who think they are saving money, lose on the deal. The cheap thing is of no use and has to be replaced with what should have been the more expensive first choice to begin with.

You can save a few $100 buying a no name TV, but will it have the same picture and features as the more expensive model...and is it worth the extra amount to be able to enjoy that TV for years to come? You only get one chance at the game of life...might as well enjoy it as best as possible.

Or do you want to sit there squinting and standing 2 feet from the screen to try and see what they are showing? Or watch a football game and not be able to see the ball :o ?
    And I have seen people paying a lot thinking they are getting a high quality item only to get something of questionable quality.

Tell me would you get a Genesis G90 over a MB E 450?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    I would if I liked it better!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    So would I.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited August 2019
    berri said:

The notice and lead time for hurricanes is helpful for preparations, but on the flip side it gives you lots of worry. Earthquakes and tornadoes tend to just hit with little warning. No matter where you live there is going to be something. But Aba, be safe and best wishes everything goes okay for you.

Yeah, I remember the feeling, like a sitting duck. Not fun. All the best to everyone in the path...
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    abacomike said:

The latest forecasts for landfall for Hurricane Dorian puts it 25 miles north or dead on to where I live in the northern Broward and southern Palm Beach Counties. I am very, very concerned. 140 mph winds would devastate my area.

We are going to fill up the bathtub with water for flushing toilets. We have 10 gallons of water. We are sure to lose power. We have so many trees here that I am sure we will lose 70% of them.

This is going to be catastrophic for us.

Mike, you and all Florida residents are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    Hang in there, @abacomike. Stay safe.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I have seen people who think they are saving money, lose on the deal. The cheap thing is of no use and has to be replaced with what should have been the more expensive first choice to begin with.

You can save a few $100 buying a no name TV, but will it have the same picture and features as the more expensive model...and is it worth the extra amount to be able to enjoy that TV for years to come? You only get one chance at the game of life...might as well enjoy it as best as possible.

Or do you want to sit there squinting and standing 2 feet from the screen to try and see what they are showing? Or watch a football game and not be able to see the ball :o ?
    And I have seen people paying a lot thinking they are getting a high quality item only to get something of questionable quality.

Some sources would choose the G70 over the E. Edmunds chooses the MB as #1 in this segment, and the G70 as #3. Even if the G70 was rated higher, I would choose the MB. For one thing, there is a better chance I am going to be satisfied, for another it has been an industry leader, and the G70 is unproven. Another problem is, reviewers often give the new cheaper competitor outstanding reviews, and once the initial newness sets in the faults appeared. It happened with the first versions of the Genesis, equal to a C Class for a lower price when it came out. Then people realized it wasn't quite in the same league as a C.

Another problem is the dealer network....if something goes wrong it is easier to find an MB dealer than a G70 dealer. Quality of mechanics is an unknown too.

Yes, I would buy the E and not regret it....if I bought a G70 chances are I could regret it.

2019 Genesis G90
    What’s new

No significant changes for 2019
    Part of the first G90 generation introduced for 2017
    Pros & Cons

Refined suspension smooths out the roughest roads
    All versions come fully loaded
    Delivers exceptional level of luxury for far less than competitors
    Lavish rear-seat accommodations on V8 models
    Interior materials aren't as special as those of rivals
    Limited dealer network and support
    Less refined semi-automated systems than the competition

2019 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan
    What’s new

Redesigned steering wheel
    E 450 trim replaces E 400 and adds more power
    New AMG E 53 trim pairs turbo inline-six with a mild-hybrid system
    Part of the fifth E-Class generation introduced for 2017
    Pros & Cons

Exquisite cabin that sets new standards for design and comfort
    Available semi-automated driver assistance technology
    Vast array of personalization options
    High-horsepower AMG models are fun to drive
    Sedan's cargo capacity is small for the class
    Standard suspension can feel stiff over rough surfaces

driver100 said:

Not a snob, but the old adage is true, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Never equate price with quality.
    I would change "Never" to "You can usually".....thus the saying, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - which I have found to be true, with few exceptions.
    I would disagree with you there. Very often there are better options that are lower priced. The more viable alternatives the greater the chance that a lower priced item will either be better that the most expensive or will be close enough in quality to make the added expense not worth the cost.

A $50K Rolex might be better than a $100 Timex but is it $49,900 better? You see a lot of people buying big ticket items that are just low quality with an expensive name (I'm looking at you Dre).

Ever hear the term "over priced piece of crap"?

Again never equate price with quality.
    If you can’t get a Timex for under $100 you’re shopping in the wrong store.
    If you cant get a Rolex for under $50k you're also shopping in the wrong store. While both brands have watched well below the stated price they both have watches above those prices. My point is is the Rolex a better watch? Are you paying more for better quality or just the name? If the Rolex is of better quality does the increase in quality justify the increase in cost?

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

ab348 said:

Here's another interesting tale of woe about Toyota in Canada.

Why do I smell a botched SAP implementation here?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/toyota-parts-shortage-1.5261302

It's been 57 days and counting since Halifax resident Catrina Brown took her leased Toyota Rav4 to a collision centre after it was damaged in a highway accident.

Yet, she still has no idea when the parts needed to repair her vehicle will arrive or when she will even be able to drive it again.

"It's seemingly incomprehensible to me that a massive corporation like that can't get it together to find parts for their cars," Brown said in an interview.

It's a problem being experienced by Toyota owners coast to coast, one the company says is caused by a "planned systems transformation to provide an improved overall customer experience."

But it seems the "transformation" is having the opposite effect on customers left in the dark about when parts will arrive.
    Hmmm, maybe like healthcare, collision repair is "free" in Canada...but you do have to get in line.
    No, but I wish we had free healthcare for pets.
    btw, Trixie is 10 months old now...she is the gray one in the middle, at the dog park;

I've never seen anything gray get so much attention...she must be easy. B)

jmonroe

We have taught her to be a good girl and to stay away from those Chihuahuas.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2019

Hang in there, @abacomike. Stay safe.

Thanks to you and everyone else praying for us. It’s going to be bad.

I bought 3 power packs for my cell phone and I am charging them now. They provide 36 hours of power each.

I was able to pick up 2 cases of bottled water along with dry goods from my daughter this morning.

Tomorrow I will fill up 10 one gallon jugs with water. I will fill up the bathtub with water Sunday night so we will have some water for washing up and for flushing the toilets. Most gas stations are out of gas down here. I tried topping off my tank, but every gas station I stopped at had no gasoline.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Even if the storm makes landfall 25-50 miles north of me, because it’s anticipated to become a category 4 or 5 hurricane, it will inundate everything within a 100 mile diameter - a category 4+ or 5 hurricane is as strong a storm can get on our planet. 140-160 mph winds 50 miles from the center in any direction..

What is your altitude above sea level?
    Not very high - 10-15 feet at most. We are flat as a pancake. Living west of the Turnpike keeps me out of the flood zones. But we are expecting 10-30 inches of rain. So flash flooding and surface flooding is a given.

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

Not a snob, but the old adage is true, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Never equate price with quality.
    I would change "Never" to "You can usually".....thus the saying, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - which I have found to be true, with few exceptions.
    I would disagree with you there. Very often there are better options that are lower priced. The more viable alternatives the greater the chance that a lower priced item will either be better that the most expensive or will be close enough in quality to make the added expense not worth the cost.

A $50K Rolex might be better than a $100 Timex but is it $49,900 better? You see a lot of people buying big ticket items that are just low quality with an expensive name (I'm looking at you Dre).

Ever hear the term "over priced piece of crap"?

Again never equate price with quality.
    If you can’t get a Timex for under $100 you’re shopping in the wrong store.
    If you cant get a Rolex for under $50k you're also shopping in the wrong store. While both brands have watched well below the stated price they both have watches above those prices. My point is is the Rolex a better watch? Are you paying more for better quality or just the name? If the Rolex is of better quality does the increase in quality justify the increase in cost?
    Yes, if quality is important to me.

It is like my brother, if he wants to buy something like a car, camera, food, furniture, TV set, he does his homework and compares. And then, he chooses the cheapest one....it is the only criteria that is important to him.

Besides, a Timex is a good watch....I have one myself, a $28 model, but my $1100 watch looks better, feels better, and has lasted for 16 years with no problems.......to me it was worth paying $1070 more for it.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Good luck to all, Mike. Going to call my aunt shortly. Hoping for the best for all, see sunny FLA on the 19th...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Are you paying more for better quality or just the name? If the Rolex is of better quality does the increase in quality justify the increase in cost?

In retailing it is generally high price = big margins and low volume vs. low price = low margins and high turnover (with some exceptions of course). But basically it really is what the customer is willing to pay.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Up here we just went through a week of hype in the media about Tropical Storm Erin which passed through overnight. Dire prognostications and advisories to have 3 days worth of water and non-perishsable food on hand ended up actually being a few hours of rain and some 30mph gusts of wind. The media always goes for the worst-case scenarios on weather stories. I know the situation in Florida is different and much more serious but I only point this out to remind of the media amplification of possible outcomes.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @abacomike - Stay strong my friend. You'll pull through this. Do you have somebody's (on edmunds) cell phone number so if your internet goes down, you can text to tell us you are ok?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Everything being discussed as "worst ever" IS getting kind of old. I have a friend who is going on and on about how the storm IS going to turn north and make landfall in SC... because ONE computer model says so. He ought to look out the window now and then :)

Hurricanes ARE dangerous situations, so be like a Boy Scout and be prepared. Panic never does anyone any good.

abacomike said:

The latest forecasts for landfall for Hurricane Dorian puts it 25 miles north or dead on to where I live in the northern Broward and southern Palm Beach Counties. I am very, very concerned. 140 mph winds would devastate my area.

We are going to fill up the bathtub with water for flushing toilets. We have 10 gallons of water. We are sure to lose power. We have so many trees here that I am sure we will lose 70% of them.

It's still in a state of flux as to the exact path of the eye will go, so your area may not get the eye and may be on the lee side of the winds.

. The Weather Channel did the best analysis this morning with graphics that have been vastly improved showing highs and lows and telling how those likely will move and how they will influence the path of Dorian. Even a ridge of high pressure coming down over us from the great cold Canadian north (I threw that in for AB and Driver) has an impact on the highs and lows and the weak high that may keep Dorian from crossing FL.

The damage that could happen to your trees sounds like Hugo when it hit north of Charleston.

The silly meteorologists with their broadcasting school certificates in weather casting are using Dorian as a teaser asking if we will have rain in the forecast for Monday because of Dorian. Sad.

Hoping for a better ourcome.

I’m watching some nonsense on the Weather Channel where the guy is in a beachfront restaurant measuring the distance of the chairs from the ocean as if someone will be having lunch during a hurricane or that the business wouldn’t put the chairs in storage. Pure hysterical hype.

I do have family inland near St. Cloud. Trying to make us worry gets me angry. :@
    I have family in Orlando and they said they are bracing for it but should get through it with some issues but they said they will be ok.

tjc78 said:

houdini2 said:

abacomike said:

It's still in a state of flux as to the exact path of the eye will go, so your area may not get the eye and may be on the lee side of the winds.

. The Weather Channel did the best analysis this morning with graphics that have been vastly improved showing highs and lows and telling how those likely will move and how they will influence the path of Dorian. Even a ridge of high pressure coming down over us from the great cold Canadian north (I threw that in for AB and Driver) has an impact on the highs and lows and the weak high that may keep Dorian from crossing FL.

The damage that could happen to your trees sounds like Hugo when it hit north of Charleston.

The silly meteorologists with their broadcasting school certificates in weather casting are using Dorian as a teaser asking if we will have rain in the forecast for Monday because of Dorian. Sad.

Hoping for a better ourcome.

I’m watching some nonsense on the Weather Channel where the guy is in a beachfront restaurant measuring the distance of the chairs from the ocean as if someone will be having lunch during a hurricane or that the business wouldn’t put the chairs in storage. Pure hysterical hype.

I do have family inland near St. Cloud. Trying to make us worry gets me angry. :@
    Last night NBC had some poor correspondent strapped into a wind tunnel with wind at 96 mph. They meant it as a serious segment, but it was hilarious.
    What's even funnier (or sad) is that during this crazy ordeal you will see these crazy weather folks near a beach holding on for dear life saying how windy it is.

Dumb

Youtube is full of such videos
    Like Ollie Wiilams?

https://youtu.be/b8nOUpj85FE

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    @abacomike - keeping you and all Florida residents in my thoughts during this difficult weekend. The waiting has to be the hardest part, to quote Tom Petty.

Knowing what's coming, but not knowing how bad it will be, is not something I care to experience.

It seems as if you've prepared the best you can to ride things out.

I second the idea of having someone on Edmunds set up as a contact on your mobile phone to keep us posted on your status. Perhaps we can have an auction to see who gets the privilege?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Some sources would choose the G70 over the E. Edmunds chooses the MB as #1 in this segment, and the G70 as #3. Even if the G70 was rated higher, I would choose the MB. For one thing, there is a better chance I am going to be satisfied, for another it has been an industry leader, and the G70 is unproven. Another problem is, reviewers often give the new cheaper competitor outstanding reviews, and once the initial newness sets in the faults appeared. It happened with the first versions of the Genesis, equal to a C Class for a lower price when it came out. Then people realized it wasn't quite in the same league as a C.

Another problem is the dealer network....if something goes wrong it is easier to find an MB dealer than a G70 dealer. Quality of mechanics is an unknown too.

Yes, I would buy the E and not regret it....if I bought a G70 chances are I could regret it.

2019 Genesis G90
    What’s new

Pros & Cons

What’s new

Pros & Cons

Ok you are proving my point, you are choosing the lower priced option. You are at least perceiving the lower priced option as being better and that you're not getting what you paid for if you get the G90.

Good luck to all, Mike. Going to call my aunt shortly. Hoping for the best for all, see sunny FLA on the 19th...

If it’s still here, you mean! 🤪

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2019
    But if @abacomike's cell phone works he will have data access to post. So we hope to
    keep hearing from him.

This uncertainty and long waiting time is like waiting for a baby to arrive for an expectant mother.

I saw this article about how temporary substitutes for permanent cell towers will supply
    service if regular towers fail.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article234477522.html

I saw a truck-based ATT tower in one of the tornado damaged areas when we were inspecting
    damage many days after the event. On the local "news" they had said temporary towers were
    filling in for damaged towers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_cell_sites

nyccarguy said:

@abacomike - Stay strong my friend. You'll pull through this. Do you have somebody's (on edmunds) cell phone number so if your internet goes down, you can text to tell us you are ok?

I do have carnaught’s cell number assuming he hasn’t changed it.

2021 Genesis G90

edited August 2019
    Weather channel has a reporter doing a story from Orlando telling how the rain comes every day and to be prepared. Wouldn't it be better to be in Jupiter or West Palm Beach and do the "It's coming" stories.

A Cincy radio talk guy talked this morning to his brother in Jupiter who is expecting this to be very bad. Long time resident. They were planning to go to Miami to escape instead of going north as most folks will do, crowding the highways. Now Miami may be in the sights of lots of rain and flooding.

I have an update - my daughter has to remain at the shelter - so all that stuff I brought down from her work site is not going to be useful. She can’t come down to pick it up and I am not going to drive everything back to her - gasoline is unavailable right now. So I will be riding out the storm by myself - too late to head north to my brother’s place - traffic on I-95 and the Turnpike is horrendous. People are all going north to get away from this storm. Already a category 3 and expected to come ashore with winds in excess of 140 mph. God help us!

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    abacomike said:

I have an update - my daughter has to remain at the shelter - so all that stuff I brought down from her work site is not going to be useful. She can’t come down to pick it up and I am not going to drive everything back to her - gasoline is unavailable right now. So I will be riding out the storm by myself - too late to head north to my brother’s place - traffic on I-95 and the Turnpike is horrendous. People are all going north to get away from this storm. Already a category 3 and expected to come ashore with winds in excess of 140 mph. God help us!

Oh, bother. As bad as this is going to be, there was some comfort knowing you had one other person to have with you during the event.

Lots of studies done that show that having that one person with you in a stressful environment can mean so much. True for soldiers, true for natural disasters.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited August 2019
    abacomike said:

maps.google and waze don't show major slowdowns on FT and I95. Weather channel said 50% of stations are out of gas in the greater area I think you're in. Tankers will be running fuel in as fast as they can even disregarding the rules for hours of service by the drivers. They do the same thing with propane when a high demand hits.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    Mike - You should seriously consider evacuating north. There is still time and fuel supplies are likely to improve as you go.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

2019 Genesis G90
    What’s new

Pros & Cons

What’s new

Pros & Cons

Ok you are proving my point, you are choosing the lower priced option. You are at least perceiving the lower priced option as being better and that you're not getting what you paid for if you get the G90.
    I may have chosen the lower priced car because I chose the E 400. Most of the comparisons were between the G90 and an S Class. But, if spending that much for a car, I would still take the MB over the upstart unknown.
    I would rather spend an extra $10k to get what I like, than waste $60k on something I may not like. That is False Economizing as stick said.

It depends how important the item is for the person. Mrs D and I used to travel to London on business trips. We never used Business Class because it cost over twice as much. We were the heads of our company, we did a lot of work on those trips, we probably deserved to fly Business Class, but, it bothered us too much to spend that much extra, when cattle class would get us there.

It depends on your priorities and importance...but, as a general rule, "You pay for what you get" works more times than it doesn't.

edited August 2019
    The local store has G70, G80, G90 models all there on display. I assume they service all.

I was surprised they had the G70 because it was reported available only at separate dealerships rather than at the mothership Hyundai locations. Ours is Hyundai.

Several miles away is the Kia store. I suspect many people shop both for pricing.

I don't know too much about the Genesis lineup but I think the G80 is the one that is comparable to an E. It could be a great car and a tremendous buy....I can't get too interested. Life is too short to fool around, odds are much better I will enjoy an MB or a BMW to the Genesis....and I would be really mad if I bought one and didn't like it.

edited August 2019
    driver100 said:

I don't know too much about the Genesis lineup but I think the G80 is the one that is comparable to an E. It could be a great car and a tremendous buy....I can't get too interested. Life is too short to fool around, odds are much better I will enjoy an MB or a BMW to the Genesis....and I would be really mad if I bought one and didn't like it.

You just trade it in right away.

All cars have problems somewhere, sometime with things. The surveys, both JP and consumer reports type surveys, anecdotal or data driven, show that the variations in problem don't vary as greatly in number as they used to.

However the ambiance of the vehicle is what you are seeking, along with perhaps the ambiance of the dealership visit and the ease of getting something repaired and serviced.

I've had great service from my Buick store and mostly great from my Chevy dealer. They certainly have done well by getting little things fixed under the extended warranty.

I'll have to shop the Hyundai and G80 just to see when I do, if I do, get to purchase a new auto. My son was making noises about the safety features on the rental he's had this week. I would take the Cruze back and pay him for it if he wants to purchase a new car. But they're in house purchase mode I think.

Mike - You should seriously consider evacuating north. There is still time and fuel supplies are likely to improve as you go.

This storm is expected to turn north either before hitting the coast or soon after - so it could be worse up in the Jacksonville area where my brother lives. Same thing happened with Irma when I drove up to him 2 years ago - Ft. Lauderdale was fine but he lost power for a week.

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I think "known entity" is a valid point, and for MBs, I simply prefer the design language. Even controversial MBs usually end up aging very well, IMO the current E has to have one of the best interiors in a mainstream car, where the upstarts are usually a mismash of derivative themes. Like you say, life is too short, if you like it and can swing the expense, go for it.
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

I think "known entity" is a valid point, and for MBs, I simply prefer the design language. Even controversial MBs usually end up aging very well, IMO the current E has to have one of the best interiors in a mainstream car, where the upstarts are usually a mismash of derivative themes. Like you say, life is too short, if you like it and can swing the expense, go for it.

driver100 said:

We’ve all got our “thing.” For a lot of us, it’s cars. A few years ago, I mistakenly bought a Subaru Legacy that I thought I could “live with.” It had the basics. AWD, Bluetooth, Heated Seats, & a backup camera. It was comfortable & had a big trunk. The problem is that it was god awful slow and even after I upgraded the rear sway bar, it still wasn’t fun to drive on a daily basis. I traded it for my 2015 CPO Infiniti Q40. I’m happy with it as a daily driver.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

We’ve all got our “thing.” For a lot of us, it’s cars. A few years ago, I mistakenly bought a Subaru Legacy that I thought I could “live with.” It had the basics. AWD, Bluetooth, Heated Seats, & a backup camera. It was comfortable & had a big trunk. The problem is that it was god awful slow and even after I upgraded the rear sway bar, it still wasn’t fun to drive on a daily basis. I traded it for my 2015 CPO Infiniti Q40. I’m happy with it as a daily driver.
    It probably didn’t help that you drove a BMW and replaced it with the Subaru.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    fintail,
    I am curious to get your observations about the instructional videos put together on MercedesSource from a mechanic named Kent. He is based in your home state.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

It probably didn’t help that you drove a BMW and replaced it with the Subaru.
    Driving that BMW didn’t help matters at all. Even when I had my TSX that I was happy with, I drove the BMW because I saw they were leasing leftovers and it was March. I guess that’s why I’m a card carrying member of Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous.

nyccarguy said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

Perfect example of buying a car....and being too practical about it. If a car has to have certain elements to make you happy, you will never be satisfied with something less. It could cost more in the long run, buy the wrong car....and then have to dump it and get the car you do want. At least, it is a learning experience - you will know what isn't acceptable.

fintail said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

I have enjoyed owning 5 BMWs and MBs since my first one, in 2004. I want my last car, or my last few cars to be ones I like....I am going to stick with what I know I like.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    ab348 said:

Up here we just went through a week of hype in the media about Tropical Storm Erin which passed through overnight. Dire prognostications and advisories to have 3 days worth of water and non-perishsable food on hand ended up actually being a few hours of rain and some 30mph gusts of wind. The media always goes for the worst-case scenarios on weather stories. I know the situation in Florida is different and much more serious but I only point this out to remind of the media amplification of possible outcomes.

I have family and friends in Orlando, and they are not at all worried. Given the likelihood that the storm will move in a north easterly direction up the Atlantic Ocean I am inclined to appreciate their Laissez-faire attitude toward hurricane Dorian. Nonetheless, prayers to all in the danger zone.
    I've been driving MBs since I was 18. They've ranged from vintage to just old to used car age to new. To paraphrase something I read: I like how they feel when I drive, and I like how I feel when I drive them. There are countless fine cars on the market, but I will stick with what I like, too.
    driver100 said:

I have enjoyed owning 5 BMWs and MBs since my first one, in 2004. I want my last car, or my last few cars to be ones I like....I am going to stick with what I know I like.

That's it, exactly. To many, cars are just transportation pods, and that's fine. Many would love that Legacy. My mom has had a Camry for 10 years, and she loves it - as it is 100% reliable, cheap to run, and comfortable. Others want performance or nice interiors or design. That's the great thing about this market, there's something for everyone.
    nyccarguy said: