Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

JEEP COMPASS 2019 - no start

JERIDARIAJERIDARIA Member Posts: 8
edited December 2018 in Jeep
Just got in my Jeep tried to start it. Break would not allow me to push button to start. On screen it said ON not RUN. When I opened door of car it said car told me to press break and push start but it would not work.

Best Answers

• zugzug Member Posts: 2
    Answer ✓
    Jeep has informed me there is a software update coming out in a few weeks to fix this issue on the 2019 Compass.
  • 530ninja530ninja Member Posts: 1
    Answer ✓
    Just got my 2019 jeep compass sport out of the shop after it being in for over a month waiting on jeep to come out with the update. Its back in the shop already. Mind you the jeep only has 500 miles on it. Found that we can pump the brakes till the vacuum goes out of the brakes and replicate the issue everytime. I'll post again after I find out what Chryslers new excuse is

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Check and see if you have brake lights. If not, then perhaps your brake light switch has failed and so the ECM isn't getting the signal to allow a start.

Not a great "start" for a 2019 Jeep. Did you try jiggling the gearshift lever. The Jeep will not start if it thinks it is in Drive or Reverse. This is called a "Neutral Safety Switch" and it could have also been the problem.
  • JERIDARIAJERIDARIA Member Posts: 8
    Thank you just did not understand why it started an hour later without a problem. 
    Motor light was on the screen it said ON INSTEAD OF RUN. When I got in car in an hour it worked and the screen said JEEP RUN AND THE BUTTON WORKED TO START THE JEEP. Very strange 
    not sure why it worked an hour later while waiting for the tow truck which I cancelled. 
    Here's a guy on YouTube that seems to have had the same problem as you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNeOhULryus

Same thing happened to us last night December 29, 2018 with our 2019 JEEP COMPASS WITH ONLY 299 miles. About an hour later we tried again and car started. What is the reason? 
    That would be hard to know unless diagnostic equipment were in place at the time of the occurrence. If you bring it in to the dealer while it is behaving perfectly, they'll probably give you back a repair order with the words "could not duplicate the problem" written on it.

My suggestion would be if it happens again, and then you try a restart say 3-4 times and it won't start, then have it towed to the dealer. That gives them a better chance of locating the problem.

Yes the update was ✅ done Saturday. Have the car back Monday March 11 we shall see if the issue is fixed. They had my Jeep since JANUARY 28. So getting it back MARCH 11 is far too long to fix a problem for a brand new car With 400 miles on it. We shall see. Chrysler in Michigan has been on top of the issue and keep in touch with me. Hoping this car is not a lemon. 
    zug said:
    Jeep has informed me there is a software update coming out in a few weeks to fix this issue on the 2019 Compass.

Just got my 2019 Jeep back on March 11 they had it in the shop since January 28. It is frustrating hoping they figure out the problem. Obviously the update was not successful. Our JEEP now has 500 miles too just waiting for the next problem. We got a lemon 🍋 I am sure. 
    To 530Ninja what do you plan to do if they can not “fix” the problem that the Jeep Compass just decides not to start? I am fed up if it happens a third time I plan to contact my lawyer the Chrysler people do not have a clue on how to fix the issue. I too have 500 miles on my 2019 Jeep leased December 5, 2018 it has been in the shop more then my garage. I keep my fingers crossed when my family drive the car hoping it WILL START when they stop the car then return after shopping or a movie 🎥VERY FRUSTRATING! Let me know what Chrysler tell you now. 
  • zugzug Member Posts: 2
    Now the dealer tells me that FCA doesn't know what they are talking about and there is only an update for the starter calibration and not the issue of the 2019 Compass not starting. WTH??? Also the orange A with a half circle around it came on, and the dealer tells me the auto stop/start is a mess of a system and the secondary battery can't handle the load, and I should never use the auto start/stop.
  • Dani12Dani12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 5day old 2019 compass in the shop for not starting anyone heard anything 
  • ETDuncanETDuncan Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2019 Jeep compass in March 2019 and only had it a couple days when this issue started. Salesman said replace batteries in FOB. Did that out and about and again went to start and nothing. Shows car is on and the Press Break is showing also. Dealership must not have done this software update. Car is currently in service again for same issue that happens sporadically. Service says they need to witness the event in order to fix it. This is unacceptable after three times of service not solving the problem. They know it exists. I contacted my salesman and told him I would be filing a Lemon Law Claim if it isn't fixed. I am going to take my car to their service center under his suggestion and we will go from there. I am also going to print out this blog and take it with me.
  • ShreyusShreyus Member Posts: 1
    I faced the same issue today. And after 15 mins it was all ok. It's a brand new Jeep compass just 100 miles on it. Got it 1 week back. I called the dealer and he says to talk to service. I am now worried to take the vehicle out.
  • ETDuncanETDuncan Member Posts: 2
    I just got mine back again and they replaced the computer. I contacted Chrysler-Jeep's Customer Care and started a case with them so don't know if this helped me get the new computer or not but hope this resolved the issue. Contact them and file a complaint. The more owners that do will result in action on their part and not have to listen to service say "we can't duplicate the issue so we really can't do anything". I had my compass 3 days when it first did this. I also told my service technician it's all over the internet about this problem so they must know about it.
  • Sam1996Sam1996 Member Posts: 2
    I just brought my 2019 Jeep Compass back to the dealer . The car doesl not start. After 10 15 min it starts. They said that they had a few cars with the same issue. The problem is they have no FIX until Chrysler comes out with a recall after they find the issue. I was told when it happens to lock and unlock the door .... lol .... it has something to do with the wiring . I have a rental right now while they investigate .
  • Sam1996Sam1996 Member Posts: 2
    going back to my issue . I press start the car lights up but locks. Engine light comes on. then it takes a while to get it started FEED BACK!!! Jeep 2019 Compass
  • myabbymyabby Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2019 Jeep Compass, and I have the same problem. I have had it towed to the dealership, while the car was saying ON and not running. When we got the dealership the tow truck driver was able to get it to start before I could come out with a mechanic. Of course they said they would have to see it, when it was happening. One of the guys at the dealership did tell me when it happens to use the other end of the key fob and push that into the button. That is the only way I can get the car to start when it happens. I'm just scared someday that might not work. The whole reason I bought a new car was to have peace of mind that it would start. Boy was I wrong.
  • Disp578Disp578 Member Posts: 2
    i havent had an issue starting the vehicle yet . and i do say YET. But i have noticed a decrease in Voltage when operating the vehicle for several hours . i have been taught that voltage should be from 13.7 to 15.2 volts and mine is consistantly under 13 . the other day while driving under load in heavy traffic the volt meter dropped to 12.6 and 12.4 and yesterday i started at 14.2 and after 2 hours was down to 12.8 . seems to me either its a bad battery system. S Belt is slipping {{seems a bit loose }}or system alternator or voltage regulator isnt maintaining the vehicle load . so if ur voltage drops below a certain level i would think the starter wouldnt engage . just one additional comment i HATE that on /off engine run button. That was the dumbest idea anyone concieved yet { the one that shuts the engine off at a light when u stop }
  • Disp578Disp578 Member Posts: 2
    since its labor day i tried calling the dealer but i dont think service would be open today . and i too bought a new vehicle for peace of mind and now im not sleeping well over this
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Varying system voltage is normal on today's cars. If the system determines that that battery's state of charge is in an acceptable range and there are no other reasons to run the charging system at full power the PCM will command the alternator down to a minimal charging level. What you be described is well within expectations.