Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited September 2019
    Mike has islands named after him! From our local Dayton Daily Nothing paper:

Dorian now approaching Abaco Islands.

"LATEST: Hurricane Dorian now category 5, approaching the Abaco Islands"

https://www.daytondailynews.com/weather/hurricane-dorian-tracking-towards-open-water/002BbWSXGGNa5tfcwI3aPO/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9478734&ecmp=newspaper_email&

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    I just got an email from our neighbors who live next door to us in Tampa. I wrote to ask them how they were doing.
    They said they have stopped listening to all the newscasts....they are tired of hearing about Dorian.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    driver100 said:

I just got an email from our neighbors who live next door to us in Tampa. I wrote to ask them how they were doing.
    They said they have stopped listening to all the newscasts....they are tired of hearing about Dorian.

I have made that same decision - watch a couple of good movies on TV; sip (nah, chug-a-lug) some Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey to numb my nerves; ignore the wind and rain hitting my windows; and plan on filling my bathtub up with water along with filling up 10 one gallon containers of filtered water tomorrow morning.

I have no control over the affects of Dorian - so whatever happens, happens!🤪😜😛

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited September 2019
    Hopefully the storm hangs a right very soon and heads North, preferably NE. Thinking of all of you in S. Fl.
    Stay safe.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Driver, that is one reason so many people lease that type of car. Fix your costs, and depreciation becomes irrelevant.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Driver, that is one reason so many people lease that type of car. Fix your costs, and depreciation becomes irrelevant.

Could be....but, the higher the depreciation the lower the lease rate should be. It is hard to find an expensive luxury car that doesn't appreciate greatly.....Lexus and Porsches hold up about the best.

You know what cars depreciate the least? Jeep Wranglers and Renegades, on 5 year lists.
    Of the 2019s the best cars for least depreciation are;
    Top 10 Vehicles with the Best Resale Value: 2019
    Porsche Macan. On average, the Porsche Macan retains 65% of its value after 36 months and 50% of its value after 60 months. ...
    Ford F-Series. Pickup trucks always hold their value well and the Ford F-Series is no exception. ...
    Chevrolet Colorado. ...
    Honda Ridgeline. ...
    Chevrolet Silverado. ...
    Toyota 4Runner. ...
    GMC Sierra. ...
    Toyota Tundra.

Lets say a $70k car depreciates 55% in about 3 years, it will be worth $32k roughly. If it is average it will depreciate 40% or be worth about $40000. $8000 more depreciation over 3 years. If used for business probably get a 50% tax write off.

All this is making me think in terms of a more mainstream car next time around....a C Class or 3 Series.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    "All this is making me think in terms of a more mainstream car next time around....a C Class or 3 Series."

You should drive what you like.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

Heard from my in-laws near Orlando and they said they aren’t worried. Some of their neighbors are boarding up but they decided not to.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

"All this is making me think in terms of a more mainstream car next time around....a C Class or 3 Series."

I do....but, I have a bit of a practical side too, so I think the sweet spot for me is a C Class car. The E is a bit more car than I need most of the time....it is nice because when we go out with other people I usually drive, and friends appreciate the extra room. The E was nice to have when we drove to Florida and back, and it probably saved our lives in the accident. But, I drive it alone 96% of the time, and it sits in the garage for 5 months of the year, so has extra high depreciation. I think the C's now have the digital instrument panel which I really like.

The car only has 20000 miles after 3 years, so I could get my moneys worth if I keep it 8 to 10 years....which I might do. I don't anticipate many problems with a car that has such low mileage.

No plan to trade or buy, but, I like to plan ahead and be prepared - just in case.

Wow, just heard that Kevin Hart got messed up bad when his 70’ Cuda went off a cliff.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    venture said:

I agree and I have said this before, "if you even THINK about how much the car you just bought is going to depreciate, you cannot afford that car".

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

Wow, just heard that Kevin Hart got messed up bad when his 70’ Cuda went off a cliff.

I saw that on TV and it was indeed a spectacular crash. It is reported that he suffered back injuries and is hospitalized, but not paralyzed as some tabloids have reported. Hope he recovers nicely.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    My thoughts and prayers are with all those that maybe affected by Dorian. My SIL left Jacksonville at 4am and thankfully beat some of the worst traffic and arrived here about an hour ago. Her new RDX and old TL she gave my daughter.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

My thoughts and prayers are with all those that maybe affected by Dorian. My SIL left Jacksonville at 4am and thankfully beat some of the worst traffic and arrived here about an hour ago. Her new RDX and old TL she gave my daughter.

My brother in Ponte Vedra (just south of Jacksonville) is staying where he is.

2021 Genesis G90

She lives in a high rise apartment right on the river diagonally from The Landing. Flooding is possible and she did want to get stuck in her building or worse.

sda said:

She lives in a high rise apartment right on the river diagonally from The Landing. Flooding is possible and she did want to get stuck in her building or worse.

The St. John’s River is very prone to flooding due to storm surge - good thing she left.

2021 Genesis G90

edited September 2019
    @driver100, you mentioned buying a mainstream car instead of a G80 or E400. Here is a candidate for your consideration, the 2020 Cadillac CT5.

Cadillac lists the base-model CT5 Luxury as starting well under $40,000, and that includes destination charges.
    For that price you get the rear wheel drive 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 237 horsepower and 10-speed automatic transmission. Other standard features include a wide range of driver-assist systems, with forward collision alert and automatic emergency braking being among them. A 10-inch touch screen and keyless push-button start are also spiffy standard-issue tech features.
    If you want a bit more power, definitely expect to pay a bit more. Also, Cadillac was keen to point out these prices do not include vehicles equipped with Super Cruise.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    edited September 2019
    bwia said:

@driver100, you mentioned buying a mainstream car instead of a G80 or E400. Here is a candidate for your consideration, the 2020 Cadillac CT5.

The 2020 Cadillac CT5 lists the base-model CT5 Luxury as starting well under $40,000, and that includes destination charges.
    For that price you get the rear wheel drive 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 237 horsepower and 10-speed automatic transmission. Other standard features include a wide range of driver-assist systems, with forward collision alert and automatic emergency braking being among them. A 10-inch touch screen and keyless push-button start are also spiffy standard-issue tech features.
    If you want a bit more power, definitely expect to pay a bit more. Also, Cadillac was keen to point out these prices do not include vehicles equipped with Super Cruise.

Is that the new Chevy that @imidazol97 didn't tell us about? :@

EDIT: the phone rang when I started this post and didn't see that the original post was edited. Still looks like a Chevy to me.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Not at all. Chevy is done with sedans. Instead they are busy producing trucks.
    bwia said:

Cadillac lists the base-model CT5 Luxury as starting well under $40,000, and that includes destination charges.

There are a few things that make me hesitate, when it comes to Cadillac. First, GGs experience. Next is they depreciate a lot. Sales haven't been great either....my guess is that makes them harder to sell or trade-in.
    I will say though, for $40000 it wouldn't matter if it depreciated more than average. It would make a good Florida car for us.
    Still, hard to switch when all of our Mercedes and BMWs have been flawless....why would I risk changing.
    That price btw competes with Lincolns now....get a premium car - at least a premium nameplate - for a bargain price.
    Impala is a depreciation leader....is that Cadillac really an Impala under the skin? And what is with that rear side window?

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I like that 2020 CT5.++
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited September 2019
    Not sure I like the looks of the CT5 but would have to see it in the wild. The C-pillar is very Infiniti inspired, not a fan, except for the Q60.
    The CT5 is the replacement for the CTS. I don’t like how it looks in the pictures I’ve seen - the C-pillar treatment looks atrocious - but I haven’t seen it in the flesh yet.

You talking to me, newbie??

I think the current 2019 CTS is one of the sharpest looking sedans around.

The new model does look like the new Impala.

bwia said:

Aren’t they keeping the Malibu?

bwia said:

Aren’t they keeping the Malibu?
    For now, though local dealers don’t even stock them these days. I haven’t heard anything about a new version either which it seems like it could use based on some recent reviews (although we all know how certain sites/reviewers love to trash GM). But I didn’t care for the loaner my dealer gave me for a day a while back so I can understand to an extent.

edited September 2019
    driver100 said:

I think the current 2019 CTS is one of the sharpest looking sedans around.

The new model does look like the new Impala.

Sorry, the CT5 is smaller and much nicer overall. Look, see?

A couple of detail pics of my SIL's RDX. Can you tell I'm bored??

edited September 2019
    @sda - you're "Labor-ing" for sure. ;)

Time will tell on the CT5. I love my ATS but that's because it reminds me of a 3-series in many ways and I like that. The upcoming CT4 is essentially a refreshed ATS, even keeping the existing door structures. But in a bigger car things like ride quality and quiet can be more of a selling point and I don't know if they have found the right balance yet. The XTS is going away and it was the one thing they had that appealed to the traditional Caddy customer. The CT6 is very good but also very expensive and faces an uncertain future. Finding the sweet spot between the XTS and the CT6 is going to be very important.

ab348 said:

Time will tell on the CT5. I love my ATS but that's because it reminds me of a 3-series in many ways and I like that. The upcoming CT4 is essentially a refreshed ATS, even keeping the existing door structures. But in a bigger car things like ride quality and quiet can be more of a selling point and I don't know if they have found the right balance yet. The XTS is going away and it was the one thing they had that appealed to the traditional Caddy customer. The CT6 is very good but also very expensive and faces an uncertain future. Finding the sweet spot between the XTS and the CT6 is going to be very important.

I must be in the traditional Caddy customer zone because I liked the XTSs in our fleet. The ATS seemed a little small for me. The CTS didn’t seem much bigger than the XTS so I guess one had to go.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    That CT5 just doesn’t look like a Caddy to me. From the side view, it looks sorta like a Nissan Maxima without the floating roof. I can see the Impala comparison also.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 284
    Regarding prior posts about depreciation % , don't these use full sticker price as cost to determine loss of value. Unless you paid full retail your depreciation % will be less. Most cars sell for less than full sticker, some a lot less.
    edited September 2019
    thebean said:

That CT5 just doesn’t look like a Caddy to me. From the side view, it looks sorta like a Nissan Maxima without the floating roof. I can see the Impala comparison also.

It has more of a hatchback look:

I think they are saving money by using the Impala design:

edited September 2019
    ab348 said:

(although we all know how certain sites/reviewers love to trash GM).

I haven't even seen the CT5 in person. Is it available? My area Cadillac store doesn't seem to have them in inventory.

https://www.vosscadillac.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI59f8oY-z5AIVAcpkCh3iMAi6EAAYASAAEgJxafD_BwE

How can people be tearing it apart already, based only on a picture on a website? Ridiculous.

Since the CT5 has a 116 in wheelbase compared to 111 for the Impala... since the CT5 has rear wheel drive rather than front wheel drive as does the Impala.... I'd expect substantial differences especially since they are based on different platforms.

Why not give it a chance instead of criticizing it from the beginning even before it hits the streets. Would this be done to a product from [insert another name here] car company?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I liked the SS and ATS-V. Throw in the Charger SRT and those are the only sedans-aside from an M340 or M3-that I would enjoy owning. I’d throw in a Panamera and a true AMG M-B if I hit Powerball.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    @imidazol97, I think you’re being too sensitive. I didn’t see anyone tearing apart the CT5. We were just commenting on it’s styling, which you have to admit, looks rather plain. You seem to think every comment about GM cars is a condemnation, which they are not. Maybe try a switch to decaf, chief. B)
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    That C-pillar is unforgivable, Nissan levels of bad, and the trailing chrome piece reminds me of the worst design element of modern Hondas.

Caddy to get is the CT6,
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited September 2019
    Depreciation rates are based on list price because different people pay different prices for the same vehicle. So yes, if you paid less your rate may differ. Cars with bigger discounts or rebates usually look worse than they really are. However, in some areas list price is then piled on with dealer packs and the like which can make depreciation higher than calculated on list. For example the gouging of dealer prep or doc type fees in states like Florida.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited September 2019
    Y’all do realize there is no relation to the Impala, right? Unless Chevy recently intro’d an Impala on a RWD platform, which would be news to me, not to mention exciting.

Their RWD platforms are also why they are a level above Lincoln.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The CT5’s wheelbase of 116 in. makes it a large car but the profile not only makes it look like a hatchback but one in the Nissan family. Interior looks nice but somewhat tight appearing for a larger car.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    My 92 yo aunt and her daughter are riding it out in Boca, deck furniture moved in, storm shutters closed.
    Will have to see it live, but in pix, the CT5 exterior does not appear to be very appealing. Unlike the CT6, which is quite handsome, imho.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited September 2019
    thebean said:

@imidazol97, I think you’re being too sensitive. I didn’t see anyone tearing apart the CT5. We were just commenting on it’s styling, which you have to admit, looks rather plain. You seem to think every comment about GM cars is a condemnation, which they are not. Maybe try a switch to decaf, chief. B)

I am on decaf. :(
    This crowd is kinder to Genesis... LOL

I did some browsing.
    There will be a V version for @roadrunner.
    This replaces ATS AND CTS? Hmmmmm.
    Has an 8-speaker Bose system. My lowly Malibu has a 9-speaker Pioneer.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/cadillac/ct5

I wonder how GM is planning this with sedans. Cadillac gets all the sedans?
    Chevy gets the Malibu for 4 more years. Impala is soon completely gone.
    LaCrosse is gone soon.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The car market here keeps declining and what is left seems dominated by Asia and Germany, so GM is probably smart to do like Ford and focus (no pun intended) on trucks and SUV's with a few exceptions such as Corvette
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    edited September 2019
    Test drove a loaded 2020 Jag XE Saturday. Stopped in to setup a test drive, but sales dude said he'd bring one up from the satellite lot right now. He was free, late in the day, so, OK.

Fully loaded, R-Dynamic, Caldera Red with Gloss black trim. Cops will notice it! Handsome, as it's always been, imho. Interior, while still "cozy," much improved with redesigned interior door panel structure and higher quality bits. Touchscreen better than mine, no surprise, but occasiona lag and lots of menus/buttons to push to get there from here. Steering wheel scroll wheels on my XF superior to new ones on XE. Loved the seats, multi adjustable and my new best friend may be the seat cooling feature!.

The drive, I didn't find the ride as quiet or pliant as my XF, but of course, more wheelbase on the XF. But, not at all objectionable. Handling was great, point and go steering, minimal body roll noticed. While I didn't truly bash the go pedal, I was a bit reminded of my Mitsu Mirage Turbo, with turbo lag. And, I'll believe, some artificail engine roar created as I don't think turbo fours make that kind of burble. I asked sales dude, he wasn't sure...

Predisposed to like it, which I did. But, it is a somewhat claustrophobic interior (all black, of course. Mine would not be). Small-ish trunk. But, it's a contendor. Tomorrow the plan is to test a base Macan. So, we'll see. Before driving, of course, the Porsche already has me tempted with the hatch utility, easeir ingress/egress and a high quality interior, if not the most modern touch screen. But, after almost 8.5 years of Jag, I'm used to last decades screens!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

do you want to go to a smaller car? If not, why not just look at a new XF? All the newer goddies of the XE you drove, with the feel of your current ride.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    If looking at a base Macan, maybe you should check out a Stelvio. Probably a Lusso would be your flavor.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Plus, I hear it is easy to find an early lease return!