Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    I'm not surprised. The Hummer has been on the table a few times. usually when there is smoke for that long, a fire eventually breaks out!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I’ll miss lease hacking for the time being, but I’m kind of getting carried away, in a good way, in eliminating monthly debt payments. Will soon be down to just the mortgage and wife’s lease.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

did you finally unload the spare house? Or still renting that out?

I hear you on the debt. We are plowing extra each month to wipe out the balance on the HELOC (basically the last of the college expenses). Once that is gone, monthly cashflow gets way better! I of course plan to celebrate by getting a head start on the next car. Maybe. If they wife wants to make the upgrade.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited September 2019
    Michaell said:

Don't ask. She names everything. The crabapple tree we planted in our backyard is Sebastien. The willows we have in the front yard are will.i.am.willow, grandmama willow and will 'o the wisp.

I'm not sure if it is funnier that she names them, or that you remember those names! My daughter names everything as well, but I don't remember 95% of them.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited September 2019
    Probably not a surprise either, but I'm going to buck the preferences trend on @qbrozen 's listings and say that my favorite of the group is the SHO, followed by the TTs.

I love SHO's cinnamon brown exterior color; I still want a Flex, and that's my preferred color on it. Interior is dark, but I've been in these before and they are quite roomy and comfortable. Sadly, never driven a SHO; the standard V6 scooted the car well enough, though, so I suspect the SHO could be a fun experience without breaking the bank and while taking everyone (and everything) along for the ride! The trunks on these things are just huge. We had a rental once that swallowed six peoples' luggage and still had room for more.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    xwesx said:

Probably not a surprise either, but I'm going to buck the preferences trend on @qbrozen 's listings and say that my favorite of the group is the SHO, followed by the TTs.

I love SHO's cinnamon brown exterior color; I still want a Flex, and that's my preferred color on it. Interior is dark, but I've been in these before and they are quite roomy and comfortable. Sadly, never driven a SHO; the standard V6 scooted the car well enough, though, so I suspect the SHO could be a fun experience without breaking the bank and while taking everyone (and everything) along for the ride! The trunks on these things are just huge. We had a rental once that swallowed six peoples' luggage and still had room for more.

Trouble is, the use of interior space is so inefficient on the Taurus/SHO that you would have had to leave 2 of those 6 people at the curb. Or perhaps make them ride in the trunk. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

did you finally unload the spare house? Or still renting that out?

I hear you on the debt. We are plowing extra each month to wipe out the balance on the HELOC (basically the last of the college expenses). Once that is gone, monthly cashflow gets way better! I of course plan to celebrate by getting a head start on the next car. Maybe. If they wife wants to make the upgrade.

Still renting that out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh, FYI, in trying to get me to incentivize my 330, a shopper who “works in finance [somehow] related to BMWFS” claims cheap 2019 leases will be here next month (I didn’t bother asking if he meant Sept or Oct). Guess I should have asked who will win the next superbowl and bet my house on it. Oh well.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

I’ll miss lease hacking for the time being, but I’m kind of getting carried away, in a good way, in eliminating monthly debt payments. Will soon be down to just the mortgage and wife’s lease.

Good job! Part of the reason I want to keep my Infiniti is because it will be paid off in less than a year. The major reason I want to keep it is because I really LOVE driving it. Then our debt will be Mortgage, HELOC, & Pilot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

ab348 said:

Trouble is, the use of interior space is so inefficient on the Taurus/SHO that you would have had to leave 2 of those 6 people at the curb. Or perhaps make them ride in the trunk. :laughing:

We didn't have any problem with it. ;)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited September 2019
    Well, we dodged a bullet here in South Florida. Still a bit windy and squally though sun just came out. Went out for a bagel this morning and some debris on the roads but things starting to open up. Publix was open and my bagel place had a few folks. Next door, a tall light fixture fell onto the road and blocked a good 3/4 of it, owned by the H&R Block folks but besides small debris, we made out just fine. Never lost power and n/s today, so stayed home. Will report tomorrow as everything open tomorrow.
    Feel terrible for the Bahamas as this thing just sat there for hours. It's picked up speed now and winds have died down. Now folks in South Carolina and North Carolina need to get their act in gear cause Dorian is coming your way. G-d speed folks and do take heed of any warnings just in case!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited September 2019
    I guess being a bit older than you guys, just the thought of any debt makes me shiver. I even hate having any balance on our credit cards and pay off one of them within days of any charge. But think that comes with always living under our means during married life and coming from a pretty comfortable family growing up. Sure, once I started work and left my parents roof, I lived in a much lower bracket and it's been that way ever since. We've brought the kids up the same way and all three are excellent with credit and right now, only the oldest has a mortgage as she paid off her new Cruze within six months.
    As much as I'd like a fun vehicle also with the Golf, never seeing it happen though it would be cool. Guess I'd rather see the $ in the bank or in retirement investments as I plan on retiring sometime within the next 12 months, if not sooner. And leaving South Florida is number one on my list of changes if I have my way!! So, right now any new vehicle is just so low on the priority list or it is unless something major happens with the Golf.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I’m getting the feeling maybe I should not buy an H3. I know my previous research told me it is very reliable, yet I have now personally inspected 2 with issues, been told by salespeople on 2 other candidates that they are dumping the trucks at auction because they have too much wrong with them, and 1 other that told me they had to put so much into repairs that they can’t reduce their price.

Plus it must drive like a beast.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited September 2019
    I could see you coming to that conclusion based on all of those factors. Pretty sure I had a similar experience with the Viggen and still bought it. So far, no one was wrong!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    @qbrozen
    Would something like a Land Cruiser or Four Runner (the off road one) do the trick ?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    You posted that last week. Did you go see it? I like it. Not the price of course.

edited September 2019
    tjc78 said:

@qbrozen
    Would something like a Land Cruiser or Four Runner (the off road one) do the trick ?

Wrangler? Nissan Xterra? I like those!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

@qbrozen

Wrangler? Nissan Xterra? I like those!
    They both ride like buckboards.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Doesn’t a hummer also?

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    I just got the 2010 GL450 back from the body shop after it was stuck there for more than a month waiting for a rear windshield. I am so spoiled by the adaptive chassis package on the Q8. Driving the GL around today felt like a chore—really makes me want to buy something else.

In other news with the Q8, the windshield has to come from Deutschland, and it will take at least ten days to get here. The body shop is letting me pick the car up in the meantime.

Any recommendations for a well-handling luxury SUV that is not a 2020 GLS with E-Active Body Control...? Preferably has a pre-owned supply.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    The GMC Canyon my parents had (same in-line 5 engine) had repeated misfire issues - spark plugs and coils had to be replaced on multiple visits. Part of why they traded it for the Element.
    stickguy said:

You posted that last week. Did you go see it? I like it. Not the price of course.

No, didn't get out there to see it yet. It's been posted for a few weeks now so I suspect he's not getting many bites so I haven't been in urgent mode.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    A 2nd toy. Bold move, cotton.

This would replace the Prelude.
    In other news this happened over the weekend.

Son#1: Why are you sitting at the stop sign?
    Me:*shows him pic*
    Son#1: 😐
    Me:This only happens once, I wont see 67890!!
    Son#1: 😐

Ha ha I do that too!

When I had the 04 Grand Marquis my wife had it the day it was flipping over to 100k. I told her I wanted a picture. She rolled her eyes.. but did it

pensfan83 said:

Could be interested!

I rode in a new Wrangler this weekend. It was a four door, with a canvas soft top.

It didn’t ride all that harsh, it was brand new but lifted and on some pretty tall 17’s.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Could be interested!
    Same here, but I'm holding out for @breld 's GTI

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

well, my budget does not stretch nearly as far as yours!

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Could be interested!
    3rd times the charm!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,060
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Could be interested!
    I'm hoping I'll be back in the market when he decides to let it go. It may never leave Colorado.

But, I found a nice white 2016 S "Carrera" (what is that?) GTI

37,000 miles for $18K at a local VW dealer.

Stick shift with plaid seats.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Ahh...License plates in and all dealer bling removed. So much better.

tjc78 said:

Ahh...License plates in and all dealer bling removed. So much better.

That was a drive for you, wasn't it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Could be interested!
    I'm hoping I'll be back in the market when he decides to let it go. It may never leave Colorado.

Maybe, the color is Carrera White?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

90 minutes each way. Exit 3 to Exit 16W on the NJTP.

They mailed me my license plates.

kyfdx said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Could be interested!

Maybe, the color is Carrera White?
    I suppose. The ad made it seem like it was a package.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

I’m getting the feeling maybe I should not buy an H3. I know my previous research told me it is very reliable, yet I have now personally inspected 2 with issues, been told by salespeople on 2 other candidates that they are dumping the trucks at auction because they have too much wrong with them, and 1 other that told me they had to put so much into repairs that they can’t reduce their price.

They are getting up in years. The environment in New England is not forgiving for vehicles not treated well. Expand your search to nationwide, and you'll find a nice one. Need me to deliver it for you? :p
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

I just got the 2010 GL450 back from the body shop after it was stuck there for more than a month waiting for a rear windshield. I am so spoiled by the adaptive chassis package on the Q8. Driving the GL around today felt like a chore—really makes me want to buy something else.

My friends were looking for a daily driver with good towing capabilities and kind of had their hearts set on a used Sequoia. Budget was a concern, so I suggested a subsidized lease on a pickup, but they ended up with a used GLS550 and are really delighted with it--I think I would be too! They have other cars, are both mechanically adept, and connected in the auto industry, so I don't think potential repair costs weighed into the decision as much as it would for the average person.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    tjc78 said:

90 minutes each way. Exit 3 to Exit 16W on the NJTP.

They mailed me my license plates.

90 minutes ain't nothin. When I was at my fighting weight I could hold my breath that long.

When I got my '09 Genny I went to Akron Ohio to get it. That's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from the Burgh (didn't even try to hold my breath for that trip).

When Mrs. j got her '12 Legacy we went to Columbus Ohio. That's about a 5 hour drive (no breath holding for this trip either).

When I got my '15 Genny we went to Fairfax Virginia. That's about a 3 1/2 hour drive (again, no breath holding).

Lastly, when Mrs. j got her replacement '18 Legacy this past April, I cheated. Just drove down the road about 5 miles. Was barely blue from holding my breath when we got there. :D

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

When Mrs. j got her '12 Legacy we went to Columbus Ohio. That's about a 5 hour drive (no breath holding for this trip either).

How often did you stop? I used to do Pitt to OSU 3x a month during college. 3 hours 10 mins door to door.
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

They are getting up in years. The environment in New England is not forgiving for vehicles not treated well. Expand your search to nationwide, and you'll find a nice one. Need me to deliver it for you? :p
    Oh, I HAVE been searching nationwide.

Nowww...where do you live...?

Actually, I have not bought anything close lately either. both Hyundais came from (different) dealers in Philly, so about 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic). RDX from N. Jersey, so about 2 hours. TLX from Princeton, about 50 minutes or so. Jetta from up that way too.

Can't really see my self going more than 2 hours again, and I really don't want to go that far if I can help it.

I’ve gone as far south as Portland to buy a car. Which is about 3 hours if no traffic.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

jmonroe1 said:

How often did you stop? I used to do Pitt to OSU 3x a month during college. 3 hours 10 mins door to door.
    I'm pretty sure we only stopped once. Thinking about the time again, I'd say it was more like 4 hours not 5. In any case, Columbus is about as far as I'd go to get a car. Son #1 once said he'd go as far as Chicago to get a car he really liked but only if he could steal it. His mother almost passed out when she heard him say that and I'd probably be right next to her.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Dedication to the craft.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited September 2019
    Some might remember when I flew down to Berkeley to look at a used BMW I found online the day before. Although I guess that was only a 2 hour flight. Haven’t repeated that move, yet.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd