Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    qbrozen said:
    I like the exterior a lot... I just can't stomach the tan Porsche interiors, with carpets, dash and seats all the same color.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,555
    I like that color combo.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    andres3 said:

Got my 35K mile service done on the '16 TTS. Needed to get the faulty seat heater button in the left vent looked at. Apparently the lens that shows the 3 red lights for the seat heater function has become detached and defective. Part coming from Canada so I'll take the car back in probably next week. Won't need the seat heater anytime soon in CA.

Next, the tech noticed one of my rear suspension mounts is apparently making more noise than it should. Ordered me a new suspension mount. They'll do that at the same time.

the 35K service specifically doesn't include brake fluid change service, but they went ahead and did it anyway! :( So sad and disappointed, as I had fairly fresh Motul RBF 600 fluid recently put in. The Dot 4 OEM stuff can't handle truly high temps these fast cars are capable of producing! Apparently, they have a 2 year timer on this service and since I refused it last time it just keeps pinging the system.

The new service advisor said I was the first client of his that would have "refused" a free brake fluid change service.

Service manager said I could bring in a brake fluid of my choice when I wanted, and they'd put it in for me to make up for this.

Guess this goes back to the "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." Or find a great shop that isn't a dealership! I knew I shouldn't have selected the "free" maintenance, as it's not very "free" anymore.

the other moral of the story is read your service advisor's paperwork! I never requested the brake fluid, but that's what the paperwork said.

I forget - do you track your TTS?
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    @nyccarguy, here's hoping your wife finds another job very soon and hopefully at a place that isn't so regimented and is more understanding.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,433
    Thanks guys for your support. I’m standing behind her 100% and trying to remain as calm and positive (not my strongest trait) as possible.

CT is an “at will” state and you can be fired for literally no reason at all.

I keep telling her that everything happens for a reason and that things will get better.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    andres3 said:

Guess this goes back to the "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." Or find a great shop that isn't a dealership! I knew I shouldn't have selected the "free" maintenance, as it's not very "free" anymore.

The extended service package was a great amount of savings on my parents' Q5. I know it's annoying about the brake fluid, but at least they have offered to make it right by replacing it with the correct fluid. I'd probably make a note to ask them which future services will include brake fluid flushes, and just plan on bringing my preferred fluid for them to use.
  • Options
    QB, here is an interesting toy for you. Not often you find something this cheap with a brand new engine!

certainly a good price for you plan. and enough headroom for you.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2010-mini-cooper_s_hardtop_2_door-certified_cooper_s_6_speed_manual_trans_pano_roof_hk_audio-used-wmwmf7c55atx43069.html

• Options
    edited September 2019
    nyccarguy said:

Thanks guys for your support. I’m standing behind her 100% and trying to remain as calm and positive (not my strongest trait) as possible.

Not my strongest traits, either! Do the best you can.
    nyccarguy said:

I keep telling her that everything happens for a reason and that things will get better.

Healthcare is really a different animal compared to most jobs, in terms of immediately firing people when there is any question at all about something they did. Get rid of the employee and figure out what actually happened later! One of my friends works for a large health care system in another state and is familiar with the HIPAA controls on their patient management software. If you access someone's patient record you don't have a reason to be accessing, there is no warning or anything. The administrators get notified and you're terminated.

My gig, on the other hand... We have a decent organization, but they've kept some very disappointing employees on board, and there is an entire department (not mine) that is completely disorganized. I'm not sure that they've ever fired anyone in my department, but I know they have asked/encouraged some particularly bad ones to leave.
  • Options
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

Healthcare is really a different animal compared to most jobs, in terms of immediately firing people when there is any question at all about something they did. Get rid of the employee and figure out what actually happened later! One of my friends works for a large health care system in another state and is familiar with the HIPAA controls on their patient management software. If you access someone's patient record you don't have a reason to be accessing, there is no warning or anything. The administrators get notified and you're terminated.

My gig, on the other hand... We have a decent organization, but they've kept some very disappointing employees on board, and there is an entire department (not mine) that is completely disorganized. I'm not sure that they've ever fired anyone in my department, but I know they have asked/encouraged some particularly bad ones to leave.
    I completely understand. My guys literally screw up on a daily basis in some way shape or form:

Uh Boss, I uh dropped a toilet

Uh Boss, I gave the guy 2” Black Pipe instead of 2” No Hub Pipe

Uh Boss, the truck just stopped. (Me: Where?) on the ramp between the Cross Bronx & Major Deegan Expressway. (It was later determined that he put gas in our truck which runs on DIESEL FUEL!)

She was fired because the mistake “could” have lead to the patient getting seriously injured and then the hospital “would” have been liable for her actions.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    qbrozen said:
    Pretty. I was looking at one like that, except for a manual transmission and burgundy exterior.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    stickguy said:

QB, here is an interesting toy for you. Not often you find something this cheap with a brand new engine!

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2010-mini-cooper_s_hardtop_2_door-certified_cooper_s_6_speed_manual_trans_pano_roof_hk_audio-used-wmwmf7c55atx43069.html

stickguy said:

Wow, now that was a spanking and left a red tail. Ouch!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    yeah, someone made a really poor financial decision on that one.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    stickguy said:

Thanks.
    But when someone sinks $13k into a car only to trade it for $4k 8 mos later, I don’t get all warm and fuzzy about said vehicle.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    kyfdx said:

Flew to Baltimore to get the Z4. 8-hour drive home.

Flew to Chicago to get a 325i... 4.5 hrs home.

I flew to Chicago to pick up my ti, and drove to Nashville to get my M6.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    corvette said:

@au1994 sorry to hear. Good luck with the job hunt.

Ditto!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Well crud...My company just eliminated my position. Looks like I’m on the job hunt again. Car hunt indefinitely suspended.

That really stinks! My wife was fired from her job last week after making a mistake. Essentially she saw a patient on bed rest (that wasn’t properly documented) at 3:00 in the afternoon instead of 10:00 the next morning. To say she is devastated is a complete understatement. I’ve never seen her like this.
    That seems extremely unfair and arbitrary.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    sda said:

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

Wow, now that was a spanking and left a red tail. Ouch!
    The idiot PO ignored the timing chain noise on startup and drove it until the chain jumped a couple of teeth.He/she likely ran the oil past 15k as well. An N12 or N14 won't tolerate that. The PO of my car was not mechanically adept at all, but she heard the noise and had enough sense to take it to the dealer and have the guides and chain replaced- for less than 10% of what the imbecile MCS owner had to shell out.
    I'd worry about what else was neglected...

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@breld - QQ about your GTI. Is the rear door hard scratchy plastic or soft touch?

Interesting - never noticed that before. I just went out and checked it out...the rear door is indeed a harder plastic than the front doors. The front door plastic is noticeably more “cushioned.”

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    edited September 2019
    breld said:

@breld - QQ about your GTI. Is the rear door hard scratchy plastic or soft touch?

Interesting - never noticed that before. I just went out and checked it out...the rear door is indeed a harder plastic than the front doors. The front door plastic is noticeably more “cushioned.”
    I don’t necessarily care but I do find that an interesting piece of cost cutting that the GLI is getting panned for, yet no one seems to have noticed it happened to the GTI, too.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Hope the bed rest patient is okay too. Patients always have more to lose than their job if the care plan falls apart.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

corvette said:

@au1994 sorry to hear. Good luck with the job hunt.

Ditto!
    Thanks all!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    omarman said:

Hope the bed rest patient is okay too. Patients always have more to lose than their job if the care plan falls apart.

The bed rest patient never complained. Their family never complained. A nurse came back from his lunch break and saw there were notes in his chart that he was seen by my wife. He complained to her department head & human resources.

• Options
    Wow, that’s a ton of money to sink into that MINI and then dump it. Someone on The Truth About Cars wrote something one time about the thing that makes someone dump a car is often not the extremely expensive repair, it’s the minor repair that almost immediately follows the expensive one.

I think the psychology is that the owner has the expensive repair, decides they’re going to keep the car and fix any and all outstanding issues. Then the car rewards them a few months later with another broken part. This breaks their dream of bringing the car to near-new condition and reliability, and they dump it.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    au1994 said:

Thanks guys. I can usually smell these things coming but not this time.Pounding the network now!

Sorry to hear this. I’m certain you’ll come out the other end of this fine.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @nyccarguy ....geez-Louise. What is with some of these employers. That sounds crazy harsh what happened to your wife.

Apparently, these companies don’t know how tight the job market is right now.

I’m sure things will work out.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Thanks.
    But when someone sinks $13k into a car only to trade it for $4k 8 mos later, I don’t get all warm and fuzzy about said vehicle.
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Wouldn’t that have been under warranty - only 1.5 ish years old and 25K miles

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @nyccarguy I echo all the comments here, fortunately the job market is strong but I know this is about more than that.
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    nyccarguy said:

omarman said:

The bed rest patient never complained. Their family never complained. A nurse came back from his lunch break and saw there were notes in his chart that he was seen by my wife. He complained to her department head & human resources.
    Call to HR from another nurse? Oh well once that bell gets rung then it's all about: where a door closes a window opens and it's time to run for daylight!

Not trying to make light of her situation at all. But sometimes in life you may find that getting fired due to a complaint by a fellow worker is actually a promotion to a better place in life.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ oh 1994, sorry to hear about your job loss, I’ve been out of work for nine months look a few times a week hang in there always stay positive and pray and hope for the best that’s what I do big help but we’re all here for you in here.
  • Options
    @ New York car guy, sorry to hear of your wife also lost her job tell her hang in there. Rough.
  • Options
    saw a pretty blue current style X3 today in a parking lot. Made the wife turn around and look at it. Gotta always be hustling if you want to get ahead in life! She admitted it was snazzy.

we were off today and out doing some errands, and I mentioned (since we were supposed to be doing something fun, and instead did a rescue dog delivery and went to Shop Rite) that we could swing by the dealers and look at the cars on her list. She made a face at me. Might need to revisit that. Or even better, just pull into the dealers when driving by without asking first!

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @au1994 and @nyccarguy, here’s hoping you and nyc’s wife move on to new and better things!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    mjfloyd1 said:

I'm not following you.
    Ad states, "This work was completed on June 19 2019 at 109,021 miles."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Tried to purchase that green Cayenne today. They wouldn't budge off $10,995. Through my emails, I tried to explain that the auction value is only $7k, so my initial offer of $9500 was quite strong, and then my FINAL offer of $10,250 was very strong, and more than I would care to pay but I'm trying to work with them. Nope, no go says they. Well alrighty then. Onwards and upwards.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Guessing they over allowed on the trade.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

Tried to purchase that green Cayenne today. They wouldn't budge off $10,995. Through my emails, I tried to explain that the auction value is only $7k, so my initial offer of $9500 was quite strong, and then my FINAL offer of $10,250 was very strong, and more than I would care to pay but I'm trying to work with them. Nope, no go says they. Well alrighty then. Onwards and upwards.

Jeez, those are more than fair offers based on your data. Sometimes, it just doesn’t work out.

I was trying to cut a deal on an X4 a few years ago and the sales guy was inept and the sales manager a real ‘donkey’. I told them I had never tried so hard to give someone my money and not succeeded.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    @qb what is the auction value for 2004 Nissan 350 Z manual with 14,000 miles on it. Found one at a local dealer here one owner car fax interesting almost $18,000 for 17,900, look what the trip level is for you and posted back here. Am I able to get those locks in values on my own? Or do you need a special license. I know you’ve been very helpful in here for everyone over the years. Sorry to hear that cayenne didn’t work out But their loss they don’t wanna budge on the price to gonna keep it until the next one that’s right.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

I'm not following you.
    Ad states, "This work was completed on June 19 2019 at 109,021 miles."
    Didn’t see that part. I only saw engine replaced around 25k miles.

I only looked at Carfax. Two new engines. Interesting.

Oops
  • Options
    @qb it’s a 350 Z touring.
  • Options
    @qb also they have a 2009 Nissan Marano Eli, with 39,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    @qbrozen

Any idea of auction value on 2019 Audi Q7 prestige with 7500 miles?

Local dealer has CPO available and wife has the itch to get rid of MB gl350
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

andres3 said:

Got my 35K mile service done on the '16 TTS. Needed to get the faulty seat heater button in the left vent looked at. Apparently the lens that shows the 3 red lights for the seat heater function has become detached and defective. Part coming from Canada so I'll take the car back in probably next week. Won't need the seat heater anytime soon in CA.

Next, the tech noticed one of my rear suspension mounts is apparently making more noise than it should. Ordered me a new suspension mount. They'll do that at the same time.

the 35K service specifically doesn't include brake fluid change service, but they went ahead and did it anyway! :( So sad and disappointed, as I had fairly fresh Motul RBF 600 fluid recently put in. The Dot 4 OEM stuff can't handle truly high temps these fast cars are capable of producing! Apparently, they have a 2 year timer on this service and since I refused it last time it just keeps pinging the system.

The new service advisor said I was the first client of his that would have "refused" a free brake fluid change service.

Service manager said I could bring in a brake fluid of my choice when I wanted, and they'd put it in for me to make up for this.

the other moral of the story is read your service advisor's paperwork! I never requested the brake fluid, but that's what the paperwork said.

I forget - do you track your TTS?
    I do. The TTS is happiest at full throttle with full boost on the turbo gauge.

My tires are worn out.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Interesting on that MINI, it looks like the original owner waited until 1 year and 17k to have the first service done. I thought those called for the first service early at around 7,500-10k miles. Engine replaced at 25k, then waits until 41k to have the oil changed on the new engine (one year and 16k for those playing along at home). Inexplicably, MINI offered it as a CPO.

Fitting the narrative I talked about above, owner #3 had the engine replaced in June, then there was another service visit in August, which is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

I completely understand. My guys literally screw up on a daily basis in some way shape or form:

Uh Boss, I uh dropped a toilet

Uh Boss, I gave the guy 2” Black Pipe instead of 2” No Hub Pipe

Uh Boss, the truck just stopped. (Me: Where?) on the ramp between the Cross Bronx & Major Deegan Expressway. (It was later determined that he put gas in our truck which runs on DIESEL FUEL!)

She was fired because the mistake “could” have lead to the patient getting seriously injured and then the hospital “would” have been liable for her actions.
    One school of thought is that you don't want to fire someone that made a huge mistake because they may learn from the huge mistake, and never do it again, where as a new hire might make the same, or some other huge mistake.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

There's a used red '15 S4 in Richmond, CA, that's working on close to 600 days on the lot. Now the problem is dry-rotted tires, and other issues from sitting too long.

they need to fix the back bumper damage, and replace the tires, and maybe lower the price a tad to inquisitive customers from 500 miles away.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    corvette said:

Interesting on that MINI, it looks like the original owner waited until 1 year and 17k to have the first service done. I thought those called for the first service early at around 7,500-10k miles. Engine replaced at 25k, then waits until 41k to have the oil changed on the new engine (one year and 16k for those playing along at home). Inexplicably, MINI offered it as a CPO.

Fitting the narrative I talked about above, owner #3 had the engine replaced in June, then there was another service visit in August, which is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

In some ways I should thank Chrysler and Dodge for showing me that sinking money into a pit or sinking ship is a lost cause. There is always something else that can break! I learned this at an early age!

You need trees that grow money for that.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

@qb what is the auction value for 2004 Nissan 350 Z manual with 14,000 miles on it. Found one at a local dealer here one owner car fax interesting almost $18,000 for 17,900, look what the trip level is for you and posted back here. Am I able to get those locks in values on my own? Or do you need a special license. I know you’ve been very helpful in here for everyone over the years. Sorry to hear that cayenne didn’t work out But their loss they don’t wanna budge on the price to gonna keep it until the next one that’s right.

That's a total crapshoot with those miles. Lowest example I have is 46k miles, which sold for $9750. If we allowed $50/1k miles, then your example is worth $1600 more. Heck, be bold and figure $75/1k and you still won't come anywhere near their asking price. $14k-$14.5k should be more than enough to buy it.

The data I look at is by dealer licensed subscription only.

Don't bother with a Murano.

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen

Assuming it is the V6 model, it would around that $48k-$49k range.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen

Assuming it is the V6 model, it would around that $48k-$49k range.
    Yes V6. Now down to about $61k asking for a CPO. I’m assuming 2K to CPO so maybe $54k is reasonable??
  • Options
    @qbrozen

Any auction value on the 14 GL350 black /black with 93k miles ? No runs, hits or errors. All service up to date. Tires with 12k miles, new brakes. Indiana