Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited September 2019

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Imid....did I read that right...you are considering at a non-GM car one day?
    Love to hear your impressions, an Accord may be worth a try - don't deduct too many points for dealership.
    Once you buy it you can find one you like.

I see little choice. I don't want an SUV other than possibly a small one like an Encore/TraXX.

I am perfectly happy with my Malibu. It's higher seating than the Accords/camry vehicles that pull in next to me parked at the morning coffee store. I would currently be open to replacing the Cobalt and selling the Cobalt straight out to someone who appreciates the care the engine and trans have had.

My son hasn't indicated any interest in replacing his Cruze, but I'd like to buy it back if he wanted to buy something else.

What do I replace the Cobalt with? Elantra? Forte? BMW? Something small taht will fit into the garage area.

I'm always considering what I'd buy to replace either vehicle were one to be injured in an accident. I have almost lost the Cobalt 3 times in the last 2 years in the area around Kroger's parking lot. People pull out because the car in the right lane is turning into their drive but don't notice the car in the second thru lane next to the one turning. One #### woman hit her brakes as she realized there was a car coming at her broadside instead of accelerating on across my lane hoping to get out of the way. I stopped 18 inches from her rear quarter panel.

I'm worried instead of the Cobalt being destroyed by a bad driver, it will be my 5-year old Malibu with 35 K miles that is irreplaceable, unless I buy a new and different model.

The Elantra is not bad. Pretty roomy for a small car. My only concern is that lousy Nissan CVT that they all use. I was driving a 2018 Versa through the countryside today for a few hundred miles. At 38k miles the transmission made a loud hum-buzz that sounded like an engine running at high rpm. Very loud, very annoying, very scary. After my experience with a blown CVT in an Altima that left me stranded in the woods I’m wary of any CVT.

On the Cobalt, how many miles and what price are you looking for? My wife would kill me but maybe a road trip to the Midwest would be fun.
    You sure about Hyundai using Nissan CVTS? I thought they built their own.
    I’m pretty sure they all use Jatco
    houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Love to hear your impressions, an Accord may be worth a try - don't deduct too many points for dealership.

I see little choice. I don't want an SUV other than possibly a small one like an Encore/TraXX.

I am perfectly happy with my Malibu. It's higher seating than the Accords/camry vehicles that pull in next to me parked at the morning coffee store. I would currently be open to replacing the Cobalt and selling the Cobalt straight out to someone who appreciates the care the engine and trans have had.

My son hasn't indicated any interest in replacing his Cruze, but I'd like to buy it back if he wanted to buy something else.

What do I replace the Cobalt with? Elantra? Forte? BMW? Something small taht will fit into the garage area.

I'm always considering what I'd buy to replace either vehicle were one to be injured in an accident. I have almost lost the Cobalt 3 times in the last 2 years in the area around Kroger's parking lot. People pull out because the car in the right lane is turning into their drive but don't notice the car in the second thru lane next to the one turning. One #### woman hit her brakes as she realized there was a car coming at her broadside instead of accelerating on across my lane hoping to get out of the way. I stopped 18 inches from her rear quarter panel.

I'm worried instead of the Cobalt being destroyed by a bad driver, it will be my 5-year old Malibu with 35 K miles that is irreplaceable, unless I buy a new and different model.

The Elantra is not bad. Pretty roomy for a small car. My only concern is that lousy Nissan CVT that they all use. I was driving a 2018 Versa through the countryside today for a few hundred miles. At 38k miles the transmission made a loud hum-buzz that sounded like an engine running at high rpm. Very loud, very annoying, very scary. After my experience with a blown CVT in an Altima that left me stranded in the woods I’m wary of any CVT.

On the Cobalt, how many miles and what price are you looking for? My wife would kill me but maybe a road trip to the Midwest would be fun.
    Tough to figure out exactly which model/year cars have CVTs. But Hyundai is listed as using Jatco CVTs produced by a subsidiary of Nissan.

If you’re finding this bifurcated post odd it’s because all my posts this morning have been blocked with “you don’t have permission to do that” huh? I had to log out and then back in to post and for some reason part of my blocked post was inserted in the new one.

Did I forget to send my dues to jmonroe?

The Elantra has never used a cvt until the 2020 model, and the cvt it is getting was developed in house at Hyundai. Called intelligent cvt. New Venue getting the same one.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    houdini2 said:

I think it's likely same CVT new Kia has. It's made to mimic regular slushbox behavior so one isn't turned off by the whining. But it turns out it behaves like a very lazy slushbox. Not too "intelligent", if you ask me.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Lovely day here today before Dorian arrives here tomorrow. Whether it is actually a hurricane then or just a loud storm remains to be seen. Local media are beating the drum hard, people are freaking out, stores are insane, traffic is nuts in shopping areas, thankfully I have everything I need already. I spent the morning removing stuff from the deck and yard, and lashing down stuff on the deck that is not easily moved. Only thing left is to being in some plants in pots or on hangers that are out there. If it happens I am more concerned about the wind than the rain as being without power as usually happens here is a pain.

Part of the reason people are reacting the way they are is that they always freak out after what happened in 2003. Hurricane Juan hit here with very little advance notice from the weather folks/media and caused major damage. Some people were without power for 10 days. I remember watching large tree limbs blowing down my street like tumbleweeds at the height of the storm. I was lucky, only lost one rain gutter that needed replacing anyway. It was pretty bad for a lot of folks, made worse by the lack of notice, so ever since, the weather service and media have gone totally in the opposite direction, which is bad in its own way as you never know when one actually is going to be bad (most are not). They have cried wolf so often some people are suggesting this will be another miss. Others on social media are doing what they always seem to do and predicting The End Of The World As We Know It. I hate it all.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Are there people who actually want CVTs?
    My friend who has to be very careful of his spending bought a 2017 Camry. He chose it because he doesn't want a CVT.
    I guess they get better mileage, and maybe are simpler to make, but, does anyone actually prefer them?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    ab348 said:

Lovely day here today before Dorian arrives here tomorrow. Whether it is actually a hurricane then or just a loud storm remains to be seen. Local media are beating the drum hard, people are freaking out, stores are insane, traffic is nuts in shopping areas, thankfully I have everything I need already. I spent the morning removing stuff from the deck and yard, and lashing down stuff on the deck that is not easily moved. Only thing left is to being in some plants in pots or on hangers that are out there. If it happens I am more concerned about the wind than the rain as being without power as usually happens here is a pain.

Part of the reason people are reacting the way they are is that they always freak out after what happened in 2003. Hurricane Juan hit here with very little advance notice from the weather folks/media and caused major damage. Some people were without power for 10 days. I remember watching large tree limbs blowing down my street like tumbleweeds at the height of the storm. I was lucky, only lost one rain gutter that needed replacing anyway. It was pretty bad for a lot of folks, made worse by the lack of notice, so ever since, the weather service and media have gone totally in the opposite direction, which is bad in its own way as you never know when one actually is going to be bad (most are not). They have cried wolf so often some people are suggesting this will be another miss. Others on social media are doing what they always seem to do and predicting The End Of The World As We Know It. I hate it all.

How far are you from the coast?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited September 2019
    houdini2 said:

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

I’m pretty sure they all use Jatco
    houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Tough to figure out exactly which model/year cars have CVTs. But Hyundai is listed as using Jatco CVTs produced by a subsidiary of Nissan.

If you’re finding this bifurcated post odd it’s because all my posts this morning have been blocked with “you don’t have permission to do that” huh? I had to log out and then back in to post and for some reason part of my blocked post was inserted in the new one.

Did I forget to send my dues to jmonroe?

The Elantra has never used a cvt until the 2020 model, and the cvt it is getting was developed in house at Hyundai. Called intelligent cvt. New Venue getting the same one.
    I stand corrected because I can't find the article that said different.

Maybe I imagined it.

The only thing I could find about Hyundai was this:

When it was still the transmission manufacturing division of Nissan, it partnered with Mazda, and thus Jatco, had long been supplying Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki, BMW, Volkswagen, MG Rover Group and Land Rover. However, once it was independent, Jatco quickly began supplying other automakers:

December 1999 — Hyundai Motor Company
    January 2001 — Jaguar Cars
    December 2001 — London Taxis International
    January 2002 — Ford Europe
    April 2002 — Renault Samsung Motors
    April 2002 — Ford Lio Ho
    April 2004 — Changan Ford
    December 2005 — DaimlerChrysler U.S.A.
    October 2006 - Renault

Other info indicated it was only the Korean market Elantra that used a CVT prior to 2020.

I guess I’m not completely crazy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    Driver, I think it ranges from people that don't know/don't care (mostly because they don't know) what kind of trans their car has, to people that won't buy one. I don't think the spectrum spans all the way to people that prefer them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

dino001 said:

stickguy said:

$69.95 is cheap for a 4 wheel alignment.

Really cheap. My alignment costs nearly $200 at the dealer and $130 at an indy specialized garage. Tires stores wouldn't touch my car, when alignment is concerned - they don't have the equipment.
    This was for just front wheels. Do you need a 4 wheel alignment on a FWD car? I didn’t realize that my Sebring even had independent suspension in the back until I just looked.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2019
    driver100 said:

My friend who has to be very careful of his spending bought a 2017 Camry. He chose it because he doesn't want a CVT.
    I guess they get better mileage, and maybe are simpler to make, but, does anyone actually prefer them?

Never heard of anyone who did, except the mfgs. Oh, and they work fine in golf carts.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited September 2019
    stickguy said:

Driver, I think it ranges from people that don't know/don't care (mostly because they don't know) what kind of trans their car has, to people that won't buy one. I don't think the spectrum spans all the way to people that prefer them.

I'd wager that 90% of the public has no clue... I was talking to someone with an Altima years ago about not liking the CVT and they were like " It feels normal to me".

I am in the camp of pure hatred for a CVT and will not own one. I have driven enough rentals with them to know it's not for me.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    They do the same here before winter storms, as a couple storms in the passed were missed or underestimated (misunderestimated?), and now they would rather cry wolf than be seen as missing something. Today at the slightest hint of a storm, it is time to sound the alarms,

We had a big windstorm in late 2006 that until right before the event, was forecast as not too serious, we have numerous windstorms every year. It became something much stronger, where many people were without power for a week or more. I was fortunate, only in the dark for 12 hours. My general area was restored just as fast, and I remember lines backed up for blocks at nearby gas stations, people from outlying areas who needed fuel but had no power locally.

In late 2008 we had a surprise snow event that took everyone by surprise, and buried some areas - the most snow we've had in my time here. Nobody really predicted it, and the area came to a standstill. At the time most cities had far less snow removal infrastructure, and they couldn't keep up. Seattle mismanaged it hilariously, and it ended up being a key force limiting the mayor to one term.
    ab348 said:

Interesting comments about CVTs....seems no one prefers them...people accept them because they don't know what they are getting. What smaller companies do not have CVTs and are there any that say they won't be using them? Or, will they make them better, so people won't notice a difference?

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

dino001 said:

stickguy said:

$69.95 is cheap for a 4 wheel alignment.

Really cheap. My alignment costs nearly $200 at the dealer and $130 at an indy specialized garage. Tires stores wouldn't touch my car, when alignment is concerned - they don't have the equipment.
    This was for just front wheels. Do you need a 4 wheel alignment on a FWD car? I didn’t realize that my Sebring even had independent suspension in the back until I just looked.
    I think you do, if you have independent rear suspension. With torsion beam, I'm not sure, that depends what can actually be adjusted.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

VW dealer gets in the $100 range for a 10K service (basically an oil change) for the Jetta.

My Acura dealer, express service (no appointment needed) and usual price is about $49, and there are always coupons so I have paid under $40 at times. Add $20 for a tire rotation if you want one.

Oil isn't all about price. I'd rather pay $100 for full synthetic that meets the highest specs required by the manufacturer, than pay $50 for ancient dinosaur oil that's half broken down by the time you buy it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    nyccarguy said:

How far are you from the coast?

Halifax/Dartmouth is on the coast. It is noted for having the world's largest ice-free harbor and is a major Canadian Navy base. If I drive 2 blocks to the crest of a hill I can see the harbor. My area is about 150 ft above sea level so there is no risk of storm surge flooding but the winds are supposed to be brutal, which means power outages and damage to homes.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,542
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

VW dealer gets in the $100 range for a 10K service (basically an oil change) for the Jetta.

My Acura dealer, express service (no appointment needed) and usual price is about $49, and there are always coupons so I have paid under $40 at times. Add $20 for a tire rotation if you want one.

Oil isn't all about price. I'd rather pay $100 for full synthetic that meets the highest specs required by the manufacturer, than pay $50 for ancient dinosaur oil that's half broken down by the time you buy it.
    C'mon man, you're going to have to explain that to me. There is no way oil can break down before it's used; be it dinosaur or synthetic. Now having said that, everything I have read and info I have gotten from some pretty sharp chemistry types has convinced me to use only synthetic oil in my cars for at least 10 years now.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    driver100 said:

It depends on the CVT. The one in my Honda Accord was so unobtrusive I never even thought about it. And talk about great mileage! So yeah, I’d prefer that. The Subaru Outback CVT is also very quiet and works well. All the Nissan’s I’ve driven with CVTs are very noisy revving up, and then quiet once they get up to speed. I found that initial noise obnoxious, so no, I wouldn’t want one of those. So put me in the camp who doesn’t hate CVTs just on General Principles. I do like good mpg and if a good CVT helped achieve that, I’m all for it. I think the Chevy Volt has a CVT transmission — I’ve driven it for 3 years now and never even thought about it. I would prefer the Volt to almost any affordable alternative (Tesla being out of my price range).
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    @abacomike you sure do have the adventures in your condo! Nothing nearly so exciting in ours.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    suydam said:

@abacomike you sure do have the adventures in your condo! Nothing nearly so exciting in ours.

Yes! This man is 81 years old and his family provides a healthcare worker 8 hours a day - 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM. Unfortunately, this fall happened at 9;00 AM. It seems that his walker collapsed so he lost his balance and fell backward onto his derrière. Nice man - but he lives alone except for the 8-hour-a-day health side who cooks his lunch and dinner.

This guy either needs 16 hours of health aides or he need adult assisted supervised living in a facility. They should not leave a handicapped man alone evenings and mornings.

2021 Genesis G90

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Did his hip break and that resulted in a fall, or did the fall break his hip.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    The man was very fortunate to be mobile with a walker and basically live alone for "several years" after the first hip fx. Definitely a life changing event after this but good thing you found him when you did. Good job man.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    driver100 said:

We may like them or we may hate them but we will see more of them as our government demands that we squeeze more and more miles out of a gallon of gas. As time goes by they will get better

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

suydam said:

driver100 said:

It depends on the CVT. The one in my Honda Accord was so unobtrusive I never even thought about it. And talk about great mileage! So yeah, I’d prefer that. The Subaru Outback CVT is also very quiet and works well. All the Nissan’s I’ve driven with CVTs are very noisy revving up, and then quiet once they get up to speed. I found that initial noise obnoxious, so no, I wouldn’t want one of those. So put me in the camp who doesn’t hate CVTs just on General Principles. I do like good mpg and if a good CVT helped achieve that, I’m all for it. I think the Chevy Volt has a CVT transmission — I’ve driven it for 3 years now and never even thought about it. I would prefer the Volt to almost any affordable alternative (Tesla being out of my price range).
    The final word on CVTs:

https://youtu.be/HSZ5-ifYQho

Did his hip break and that resulted in a fall, or did the fall break his hip.

The fall was the cause of the hip fracture.

2021 Genesis G90

omarman said:

The man was very fortunate to be mobile with a walker and basically live alone for "several years" after the first hip fx. Definitely a life changing event after this but good thing you found him when you did. Good job man.

It was only lucky for him that his front door was open. From what I was able to discern from his account of what happened is that he opened the front door to walk on the catwalk for exercise but as he backed up to allow the door to fully open into his apt the walker collapsed and he fell backwards onto his derrière.

2021 Genesis G90

suydam said:

driver100 said:

The final word on CVTs:

https://youtu.be/HSZ5-ifYQho
    Very worthwhile. Scotty explained CVTs really well. Thanks.....I think :D

Wow, just heard that Kevin Hart got messed up bad when his 70’ Cuda went off a cliff.

More on this here. Who knew that Hot Rod would be a source for quality journalism?

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/kevin-hart-cuda-crash-really-happened

edited September 2019

driver100 said:

We may like them or we may hate them but we will see more of them as our government demands that we squeeze more and more miles out of a gallon of gas. As time goes by they will get better
    I think you hit the nail on the head snake, it is all about mpg. I hope the EPA is successful in eliminating the California separate EPA rules.
    I was researching the Mercedes E Class sedan yesterday. A fully equipped E300 AMG PKG. sedan can be purchased for $4000+ under dealer invoice - the trunk money from MBUSA is phenomenal. That’s UNDER invoice. That would be very tempting if I was in the market.

The E450 AMG PKG sedan I available for $2000 under invoice. Also very tempting.

MB is coming out with a new inline 6 cylinder twin turbo developing over 390 hp. It will replace their V-6’s in all models.

2021 Genesis G90

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head snake, it is all about mpg. I hope the EPA is successful in eliminating the California separate EPA rules.
    Did California ever become a State? I wonder about that. Maybe they are preparing for the big one (earthquake) when California moves out into the Pacific and Nevada and Arizona become prime beachfront properties.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

I was researching the Mercedes E Class sedan yesterday. A fully equipped E300 AMG PKG. sedan can be purchased for $4000+ under dealer invoice - the trunk money from MBUSA is phenomenal. That’s UNDER invoice. That would be very tempting if I was in the market.

MB is coming out with a new inline 6 cylinder twin turbo developing over 390 hp. It will replace their V-6’s in all models.

Buy a CPO one for less than half price.

My daughter just came by to pick up all the hurricane supplies (water, food, etc.) I had picked up from her just before Dorian moved in. I was truly impressed with her car - a 2014 Honda Accord Coupe with 171,000+ miles on the odometer. It runs perfectly - like it was almost new. She had new brakes and rotors put on and new tires just before she drove down here. The fact that the car continues to provide outstanding service for her is remarkable at that mileage - she does take care of it, to be sure. Gives one thoughts about the Honda product.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

If those price reductions are for 2019's that's no big deal for a soon to be one year old car. Now, if those are prices for a new 2020, yeah, they're getting close to interesting me. :p

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    abacomike said:

My daughter just came by to pick up all the hurricane supplies (water, food, etc.) I had picked up from her just before Dorian moved in. I was truly impressed with her car - a 2014 Honda Accord Coupe with 171,000+ miles on the odometer. It runs perfectly - like it was almost new. She had new brakes and rotors put on and new tires just before she drove down here. The fact that the car continues to provide outstanding service for her is remarkable at that mileage - she does take care of it, to be sure. Gives one thoughts about the Honda product.

A friend of mine out 250k on her Accord Coupe. She just recently replaced it with an ILX. Sold the Accord for $1500 on CL with needs. Nuts.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

If I wanted a car to last 200000 miles, it would be a Toyota or a Honda......if it could be a luxury car....a Lexus in spite of the front end.

driver100 said:

If I wanted a car to last 200000 miles, it would be a Toyota or a Honda......if it could be a luxury car....a Lexus in spite of the front end.

I could never quite bring myself to spend the higher price for a car that would last mechanically 250k miles but around here would rust out after 100k. :'(

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited September 2019

Happy Belated 6th Birthday to the Accord on 9/5. Its Birthday present today was a new alternator, tensioner and serpentine belt. On recent drives I noticed a distinct whine that varied with engine speed and progressively got louder. My suspicions were confirmed at the Honda service today, alas. If this was a GM car...just kidding.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

Happy Belated 6th Birthday to the Accord on 9/5. Its Birthday present today was a new alternator, tensioner and serpentine belt. On recent drives I noticed a distinct whine that varied with engine speed and progressively got louder. My suspicions were confirmed at the Honda service today, alas. If this was a GM car...just kidding.

How much did that puppy cost? My old Toyota ate up 7 but they were only $100 back then.

Funny, I haven't replaced an alternator in a car since my 1980 Omni.

sda said:

I last replaced an alternator on the 1993 leSabre. I've never had to replace a tensioner even on the two leSabres which went to 200 K mi and 210 K mi. approx.

Do the tensioners wear out? How many miles on the previous serpentine belt? Do they wear out fast on the Hondas? My Cobalt recommends checking and suggests replacement at 150K mi. for the serpentine belt.

sda said:

I last replaced an alternator on the 1993 leSabre. I've never had to replace a tensioner even on the two leSabres which went to 200 K mi and 210 K mi. approx.

Do the tensioners wear out? How many miles on the previous serpentine belt? Do they wear out fast on the Hondas? My Cobalt recommends checking and suggests replacement at 150K mi. for the serpentine belt.
    What’s an alternator? 😜🤪😝

2021 Genesis G90

sda said:

Are you sure your Honda didn't catch the dreaded oil drip from our poster buddy the @jipster? :o

jmonroe
    edited September 2019
    abacomike said:

sda said:

What’s an alternator? 😜🤪😝
    It's something that on a Honda is supposed to last so long they send them back to the factory to reuse on new cars.

OR Something that produces electricity that shocks you when you get the bill to replace it on some cars.

In serious discussion, @sda, why did they replace the tensioner. Is that a "while we're in there we have a yacht payment due on our fishing boat, so let's add on to the bill" kind of repair? At 6 years I can see the serpentine belt although my Cobalt is to go 150 K mi and then check it. My Cobalt is 11 years old. It's a GM. B)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    The Alternator on our former 2011 Pilot crapped out at 6 1/2 years/101,000 miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited September 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

Are you sure your Honda didn't catch the dreaded oil drip from our poster buddy the @jipster? :o

jmonroe
    “The dreaded oil drip”. That sounds like a STD.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe
    More like STP.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I can say I wasn’t pleased that I had to replace the alternator, my wife was even more upset, saying I’m mad at Honda, you replaced the starter not long ago and now this.. Those are the only repairs in 6 years and 91k, so not bad overall. I asked that they replace the serpentine belt since the old one was already off and seemed like a good preventive measure. They came back and said the tensioner was making a little noise and suggested I replace it. Not sure it was necessary, they didn’t charge extra labor for either the tensioner or belt, only the cost of the parts. The alternator has a 3/36 warranty. The Accord got a $732.41 birthday present.

edited September 2019
    I am used to prices reflecting getting my own GM professional parts direct and putting thiings on. So I thought I'd check on a Cobalt alternator pricing. On rockauto.com it's $250 for the alternator. About 40% more than I thought for an AC Delco model.

The whole tensioner is about $52 ACDelco. A Gates (quality) brand tensioner is $25.

However, on my leSabre the pulley with the bearing makes the noise and that's replaceable for $10 or $25 if I want AC Delco. The tensioner on my leSabre was fine at about 150K miles. The pulley bearing did go out with a buzzing/humming sound that sounded like a bad transmission pump.

However, I checked the local box store Autozone for an AC Delco alternator and it was listed at $491.
    Remanufactured was $250.

I really like rockauto.com for price checking. Note, shipping is added to prices, but is usually reasonable. Various car forums have a 5% discount code to use which reduces the price at rockauto and often covers part of the shipping.

I like Rock Auto as well. I order wiper blades, air, cabin filters and more from them. In the past I did a lot of repairs myself, but now pretty much limit to filter, wiper, and cosmetics, wash, wax, interior.

jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe
    More like STP.
    That’s hilarious!😆

sda said:

I can say I wasn’t pleased that I had to replace the alternator, my wife was even more upset, saying I’m mad at Honda, you replaced the starter not long ago and now this.. Those are the only repairs in 6 years and 91k, so not bad overall. I asked that they replace the serpentine belt since the old one was already off and seemed like a good preventive measure. They came back and said the tensioner was making a little noise and suggested I replace it. Not sure it was necessary, they didn’t charge extra labor for either the tensioner or belt, only the cost of the parts. The alternator has a 3/36 warranty. The Accord got a $732.41 birthday present.

I’m sure that’s what they cost now but I’d still cry at that bill. I took the old convertible to my secondary go-to guy for exhaust repair and alignment because my primary go-to doesn’t do that work.

The alignment was the previously mentioned $70 bucks which I thought was good but the real pleaser was the exhaust repair. I was figuring a few pipes, maybe a resonator or more. A potential big bill if the guy was greedy. He called me up and said it was just a broken weld which he could fix for $50.

Happy dance.