Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    sda said:

I like Rock Auto as well. I order wiper blades, air, cabin filters and more from them. In the past I did a lot of repairs myself, but now pretty much limit to filter, wiper, and cosmetics, wash, wax, interior.

I mentioned this before, Son #1 swears by Rock Auto and when I needed wiper blades for my '09 Genny he suggested that I go to them. They didn't come through for me and screwed up my wiper blade order twice. After that I went to the dealer.

Now I have a question for you guys. Does anyone remember a good while ago, at least a year ago, when someone in here complained about something they got from some company that wasn't right and someone from the customer service dept. at that company must have been lurking in here and responded about what our poster buddy should do to get his problem resolved? Does anyone remember that?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I would replace the belt if it was off anyway. rule of thumb, if it is a wear item and the part is cheap but labor expensive, do it. Tensioner, if it is questionable, just get it over with.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

I like Rock Auto as well. I order wiper blades, air, cabin filters and more from them. In the past I did a lot of repairs myself, but now pretty much limit to filter, wiper, and cosmetics, wash, wax, interior.

I mentioned this before, Son #1 swears by Rock Auto and when I needed wiper blades for my '09 Genny he suggested that I go to them. They didn't come through for me and screwed up my wiper blade order twice. After that I went to the dealer.

Now I have a question for you guys. Does anyone remember a good while ago, at least a year ago, when someone in here complained about something they got from some company that wasn't right and someone from the customer service dept. at that company must have been lurking in here and responded about what our poster buddy should do to get his problem resolved? Does anyone remember that?

jmonroe
    I’m usually a repository of trivia like that but I’m drawing a blank, sorry.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jmonroe1 said:

sda said:

jmonroe
    I think a customer service rep from Cadillac was lurking when GG had his problems....offered to help but that went nowhere.
    No divine intervention for your wiper blades. That's another reason to stay with more mainstream cars, easier to get the right parts B)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

another reason that a "wannabe luxury" Acura is nice. Last year when the wipers were noisy and skipping I just went to WallyWorld to pick up a new pair, and they worked great. Wife was really happy. And they were cheap.

stickguy said:

another reason that a "wannabe luxury" Acura is nice. Last year when the wipers were noisy and skipping I just went to WallyWorld to pick up a new pair, and they worked great. Wife was really happy. And they were cheap.

What’s the definition of luxury? An Acura looks plenty luxurious to me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Oh, Canada you stole my joy and left me in mourning. With that being said, congratulations to Bianca Andreescu who stunned Serena Williams with a 6-2, 7-5 victory to capture the 2019 US Open title. Tennis fans were expecting a Serena coronation but it was not to be. The young and charismatic Bianca brought Serena (and the visiting Duchess) to tears with her powerful ground strokes and well placed serves.

Once again, great job Bianca, stay grounded and continue to make Canada and womens' tennis proud.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Interesting how things turn. I remember how the auto companies fighting tooth and nail new MPG Regs and pollution standards. Now, they’re for them. California led the way in those efforts.

The current technologies that help small 4 cyl, fuel efficient engines, with the power of V6 and V8s of yore was fueled by those regs.

Plus, the drivetrains today, with 8,9 and even 10 speed automatics, in addition to CVTs contribute greatly to those efforts.

It looks like California is leading the way, again. Only this time, they have the backing of the auto manufacturers.

This has never been more critical than it is now, given the direct links of climate change tha recently manifested itself in DORIAN.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited September 2019
    Did I see somewhere recently that it cost $15,000. to replace a water pump on certain Ford vehicles, or was that a joke.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Speaking of Dorian, it arrived here yesterday. A large storm in that it affected most of Nova Scotia to some extent, and it made landfall about 30 miles west of here. We got 3 to 4 inches of rain and wind gusts of perhaps 80mph, but locally it was not as intense as Hurricane Juan of 2003 that did much more damage here, though there is damage over a much wider area this time. I emerged unscathed except that power has been off for 22 hours so far which is a pain. Our power utility here is notorious for frequent outages so this is no surprise.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited September 2019
    ab348 said:

Speaking of Dorian, it arrived here yesterday. A large storm in that it affected most of Nova Scotia to some extent, and it made landfall about 30 miles west of here. We got 3 to 4 inches of rain and wind gusts of perhaps 80mph, but locally it was not as intense as Hurricane Juan of 2003 that did much more damage here, though there is damage over a much wider area this time. I emerged unscathed except that power has been off for 22 hours so far which is a pain. Our power utility here is notorious for frequent outages so this is no surprise.

Glad you found it not the worst of hurricanes. You'd not know that from the general media coverage. It's always cute seeing a youngster doing weather reports here on TV in the midwest with a broadcasting trade school course in how to talk weather on TV act like an expert on macro effects and about hurricanes, cause and behavior.

Our friends who had lived on Folly Beach in Charleston said this hurricane was not as drastic as it was hyped. In fact, His Folly Beach friends stayed in their house on the island. During The previous recent major hurricane a, was it Irma, the Folly Beach folks went to TN to their brother's home for the storm. They were invited to go to my friend's place in far upstate SC but went to relative's larger home.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

We had similar problems here with media posting on FB/Twitter (and presumably TV which I couldn’t watch w/o power) not just yesterday but in the days prior. This storm seemed to flummox even usually reliable meteorologists both in its approach and then with its behaviour once it arrived. They kept switching its strength from Cat 1 to 2, going back and forth several times, and then after it made landfall warned that the worst was yet to come (it wasn’t). While I suppose nothing could match the buildup it received beforehand it really was nowhere near what the media would have you believe. That was made even worse by non-weather media folks taking a weather statement and then adding their own spin to it to make it more dramatic and dire. The unnecessary anxiety I’m sure that generated was not good. A newsreader or reporter shouldn’t be speculating without a basis in fact or training.

houdini2 said:

Did I see somewhere recently that it cost $15,000. to replace a water pump on certain Ford vehicles, or was that a joke.

Well, it only costs $5000!
    https://youtu.be/1xNb2n9igiA

edited September 2019
    houdini2 said:

Could this be what you’re thinking about?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-water-pump-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

Affected vehicles:

https://www.ktmc.com/ford-lincoln-water-pump-engine-failure?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIGOiOHB5AIVT1qGCh1gdAcOEAAYASAAEgIV2_D_BwE

From what I’ve read Ford designed some engines with internal water pumps which if they failed trashed the engine with coolant. No warning since the pump was hidden.

What were they thinking?

Chrysler had the same issue with the 2.7L V6 and I recall a friend of my son having an 80s Caddy which blew an internal water pump wrecking the engine.

You’d think they’d learn.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

Hey, that's our local news!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

houdini2 said:

Hey, that's our local news!
    Hope it wasn't your car! :(

that's a Flex. XWESX is probably tracking it down right now to bring back to AK

Interesting fast market place where I get coffee.
    Looked in my rear view mirror while drinking my coffee this morning, and I saw this.
    Frequently see classics fueling up at this location.

edited September 2019
    This is the season for cruising those old cars. Many don’t have AC or the old systems don’t work. I often wonder what those owners have to do to run on unleaded ethanol gas.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

This is the season for cruising those old cars. Many don’t have AC or the old systems don’t work. I often wonder what those owners have to do to run on unleaded ethanol gas.

Worst case scenario is having to pull the head(s) and install hardened valve seats.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Never could stand those mirrored headlights.

Fun fact about old MBs, they can take unleaded without conversion.
    edited September 2019
    The unleaded usually isn't a problem unless you have a older engine under heavy load or turning high RPMs. The ethanol is a much bigger problem for old cars. It can degrade hoses internally, dissolve older seals and O-rings (or deposits that were sealing leaks!) and generally mess up older carbs.

The headlight shields are like spotlights - some people seem to thoink every cool car in the '50s/'60s had them. I am not a fan of either. But just as bad is the newer trend to install LED "angel-eye" sealed-beam equivalents which I really dislike.

Forgot to mention - power here is back on after just over 24 hours.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    fintail said:

Never could stand those mirrored headlights.

Fun fact about old MBs, they can take unleaded without conversion.

Ditto for BMWs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Today, I was a guest in a skybox at the Dolphins game - good thing my friend drove down to Miami because all I did was drink beer on tap and eat finger foods - the 59-10 romp by Baltimore left us with nothing else to do but get drunk and fat.

But I did get home early enough to see one of the best US OPEN Men’s Finals on ESPN. Nadal was great - but Medvedev came from behind to make it a 5 set match. Best ever!

2021 Genesis G90

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

houdini2 said:

Could this be what you’re thinking about?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-water-pump-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

Affected vehicles:

https://www.ktmc.com/ford-lincoln-water-pump-engine-failure?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIGOiOHB5AIVT1qGCh1gdAcOEAAYASAAEgIV2_D_BwE

From what I’ve read Ford designed some engines with internal water pumps which if they failed trashed the engine with coolant. No warning since the pump was hidden.

What were they thinking?

Chrysler had the same issue with the 2.7L V6 and I recall a friend of my son having an 80s Caddy which blew an internal water pump wrecking the engine.

You’d think they’d learn.
    My friend, Mike W., owns carcomplaints.com. He drives a Jeep and his wife drives a 4Runner. I don't troll that site, but it's useful when looking to buy.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

Last from me on Hurricane Dorian: power outages today dropped below 200K accounts across Nova Scotia but those folks might be a while as the biggest/easiest ones were connected first. Now they are down to street blocks where trees took out poles and lines, so it will be a slog.

Last night a local real estate lady posted some pics on FB of Peggy's Cove at the height of the storm. They look like made up pics but I have reason to believe they are legit having seen shots like this from that location in the past.

The Golden Ray, a cargo ship (built in 2017) capsized off the coast of Georgia. The ship was carrying approximately 4,200 vehicles. Does anybody know what type of vehicles it was carrying and are they salvageable?

According to Reuters, Hyundai and Kia vehicles were the cargo on board; the Korea Herald said the vehicles were headed to the Middle East for export and that some were Kia Motors cars while others were from "other global carmakers."
    Always sad. I assume they are all a total loss.

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    ab348 said:

Last from me on Hurricane Dorian: power outages today dropped below 200K accounts across Nova Scotia but those folks might be a while as the biggest/easiest ones were connected first. Now they are down to street blocks where trees took out poles and lines, so it will be a slog.

Last night a local real estate lady posted some pics on FB of Peggy's Cove at the height of the storm. They look like made up pics but I have reason to believe they are legit having seen shots like this from that location in the past.

WOW. Some wave!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    bwia said:

The Golden Ray, a cargo ship (built in 2017) capsized off the coast of Georgia. The ship was carrying approximately 4,200 vehicles. Does anybody know what type of vehicles it was carrying and are they salvageable?

According to Reuters, Hyundai and Kia vehicles were the cargo on board; the Korea Herald said the vehicles were headed to the Middle East for export and that some were Kia Motors cars while others were from "other global carmakers."

While I can't tell you what cars they were i can tell you they are not salvageable. #1. They are soaked in salt water. 2. They had to have suffered damage when they hit the sea floor. #3. I would hazard to say that at a depth of between 200 and 250 feet structural damage would start from the water pressure. and 4# the cost of recovering the vehicles would cost more than they could ever get for them.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    A bigger issue is rescuing the crew
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    stickguy said:

Always sad. I assume they are all a total loss.

They’ll be on CL next week as “extra clean”.

edited September 2019
    suydam said:

They rescued all but 4 who were trapped in the hull. Of the 4 I understand 3 have been saved with one still trapped in the engine room but they’re hopeful he can be saved too.

Just heard that the coast crewman is rescued.

As to salvage, it looks like the ship is sitting on it’s side with over half the hull above water. As long as the cars didn’t break loose, some of them may be salvageable.

edited September 2019
    In auto pilot mode, a Tesla driver is asleep behind wheel on the Mass Turnpike Route I-90 going at 60 mph. Well, here is your proof of concept. Auto pilot really works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQo-26k7Zbg
    they got the last of the crew out. Now can deal with getting the ship out of there somehow.

suydam said:

They rescued all but 4 who were trapped in the hull. Of the 4 I understand 3 have been saved with one still trapped in the engine room but they’re hopeful he can be saved too.

Just heard that the coast crewman is rescued.

As to salvage, it looks like the ship is sitting on it’s side with over half the hull above water. As long as the cars didn’t break loose, some of them may be salvageable.

I didn't see pictures when I first posted, my question now is where were the cars stowed on the ship?

multiple decks, side to side.

looked it up it's a vehicle carrier which means that the cars were secured but likely secured for normal to heavy seas. A capsizing or in this case a partial capsize I would suspect a good number of cars broke from their tiedowns and many are under water. I would suspect that many are toast.

plus, they still have to get the ship towed to shore and stabilized (rotate it upright?) to even think about getting the cars out. stuff must be flying about all over in there doing that. Plus getting soaked.

they are not salvaging salable units out of that mess.

edited September 2019

looked it up it's a vehicle carrier which means that the cars were secured but likely secured for normal to heavy seas. A capsizing or in this case a partial capsize I would suspect a good number of cars broke from their tiedowns and many are under water. I would suspect that many are toast.

Probably the fire that occurred when the ship capsized was from tumbling cars bursting into flames. Toast indeed.

I read the cars were Hyundais....going to the Middle East.
    Who would have thought one of those ships could carry 4000 cars!

that is a CRX. pull it out, and still probably get $2k out of it.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:

I had the privilege of being given a guided tour of a vehicle transport ship in Brunswick, GA, several years ago. The ship I toured had just recently arrived with s shipload of BMW’s. There were many decks - not very high from floor to roof of each deck. Cars were tied down with heavy chains to the floor. The capacity was well over 4500 vehicles. When cars are unloaded, they formed a circular chain bumper to bumper on the dock.

Amazing is all I can say!

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

According to Vessel finder she was on her way to Baltimore, MD. Maybe to pick up more cargo?

Fascinating to see how they load the cars on to a ship. They are 4 inches apart....driver can only open the door of the last car parked. Drivers are taken by van back to get more cars. Now there is a fun job! Worth 2 minutes to see how they do it.
    https://youtu.be/u_OSnioeFjY

edited September 2019

Some of my tennis guys were talking about memory yesterday. This was something I was amazed at, but didn't think anyone else thought about it. We decided really good car salesmen have terrific memories!

I last saw my sales rep about 2 years ago. I saw him working at his desk when I was there for service, and I thought I would say hello, and I started to explain who I was and he said he knew who I was and he asked me how Mrs D was (by name). I would be terrible at being able to do that.

Mike....do you have a good memory for people's names? Are there some tricks you can use to recall who someone is?

edited September 2019
    Can anyone recognize what it says in the bumper stickers on the trunk of this BMW?
    I only see them while it's in the pool; no other pictures show the trunk.

Driver, I’m lucky I remember names of my relatives. Their cars, those I remember.