Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    I spent a split day. Wife agreed to go car looking (to make me happy) so did that after lunch. then a stop at Lowes for another new tool gizmo, and back to the kid's place for a little more contracting.

today's project was installing a new ceiling fan in the sunroom. The prior owners had demo'ed everything for some reason out there (pull out paneling, leaving bare OSB, took down the light, leaving the wires hanging out of the box, and pulled up the stick down vinyl planks. between that and being filthy, it was not a happy place.

now, all the windows have been cleaned, door painted, concrete floor painted, OSB painted (you can actually do that. still looks like OSB, but now white!) New rug down. And as of an hour ago, a spanking new ceiling fan with light up on the ceiling. Didn't fall down, isn't wobbling, and no sparks, flames or smoke poured out of the ceiling, so I consider it a success.

I was hoping the switch in the kitchen that seemed to control nothing was for that ceiling fixture. Turns out there was a wall fixture on the side wall it worked. Just another burned out bulb. replaced that, and now it works.

the new gizmo was a continuity tester. for some reason, I don't seem to have collected one over the years. what a wonderful gadget. Figured out the box need the door to the outside (sutffed full of wires) is probably intended to be the switch that controls the fan. So need to get a switch to installed, and based on the more wires than expected to find, it might be a 2 way (which usually means there is another switch someplace so who the hell knows). That is for another day. at least the fan and light work on the pull chains. if I get the switch done and that works the fan, more the better.

just about done now. last project (which my daughter might end up doing) is putting on new doorknob and deadbolt on the door into the house after she finishes painting it. and tonight I need to install the last blackout shade in the bedroom, and I should be pretty much done. until she finds something else to put on the list.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Looks like the 35th Anniversary edition is not selling as well as VW would hope. That’s a significant discount. With my partner rebate these would be 21,960...

https://www.campbellvw.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&model[]=JETTA+GLI&page=1
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    I think the biggest strike, at least for me, is they didn’t include the sunroof or fog lights like the did on the R type, mainly the sunroof.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

I think the biggest strike, at least for me, is they didn’t include the sunroof or fog lights like the did on the R type, mainly the sunroof.

Yeah. Have to step up to Autobahn for that.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

My mom had one of those before her V60. It’s quick.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    On the XC60 - halogen DRLs on luxury vehicles just look wrong to me anymore.
    a 2012 is practically an antique compared to the new designs. Got the same issue with my RDX.

love the colors on that Volvo though. should be quick and super comfy. A bit light on options. Can always tell by all the empty button spots on the center stack!

Got my last project done after dinner. Installed the 6' wide blackout shade. That sucker was heavy. and of course, the opening was 1/2 inch narrower than the standard size blind (70") so 2 options. Pay 2x as much for a custom, or cut it to size yourself. With the tight budget the kids are on, they picked the cheaper option, and I dug the chop saw out and cut an inch off with that. Actually worked great, then pretty easy to install, just required 4 brackets because of the weight.

I spent way too much time working with my hands above my head today. Definitely too old for that.

forgot the car updates. Stopped at Subaru. Saw a sales go in the parking lot. he said they had a few new OBs, but they were on a corporate stop sale (no clue why, maybe to clear out the 2019s, or let stock on the ground build up), and said they were in the back corner. so we went looking\. Might have been across the street in the extra lot. did see a base level Legacy. Looked just like the old one, but definitely different interior. Have to go back next weekend to actually check one out.''

then went next door to Volvo. sat in everything inside. Loved the seats in the S60! For the cuvs, they had a V60 CC. Nice, I liked it. She thought :it was a wagon. And that it sat too low (she thought she fell down into the seat. So that is out. Really liked an XC40 they had, but after some discussion, decided it was a bit too small, plus from reading it might not be luxurious/cushy enough for her. She did like the XC60 though, and we were parked next to one outside so saw it really was not longer. Not sure about wider. But one nice feature, power folding mirrors!

no drives today. Still need to swing by Hyundai, BMW and VW dealers to test sit. With possibly a side stop at the Audi dealer. I do want her to check out the tiguan. Even though she does not like VW, but she finally said what it was she did not like. The seats in the Jettas, were too tight for her. most likely, that won't be an issue in the Tiguan.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @stick guy nice on all of the car looking. Yesterday!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Who was looking at an '80s Monte Carlo SS?

Saw a local one for sale.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Depending on location, I’d be targeting an X1 here. I would think minimal drive offs and well equipped should be in the mid 300s.
    Kicking myself over passing on that i3 deal. But, between the remaining payments on the X1 and the dance with the suicide doors for a rear facing car seat, we probably would have ended up unhappy.

The hunt continues.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    kyfdx said:

Who was looking at an '80s Monte Carlo SS?

Saw a local one for sale.

Wasn’t that @pensfan83 ?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

yes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I like those a lot more than a Hummer. I never really liked them at any level, but as always, different strokes for different folks.

Agreed.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Kicking myself over passing on that i3 deal. But, between the remaining payments on the X1 and the dance with the suicide doors for a rear facing car seat, we probably would have ended up unhappy.

The hunt continues.

Just remember the rear facing car seat is for a very limited time, so would become a non-issue in pretty short order.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited September 2019
    suydam said:

The hunt continues.

Just remember the rear facing car seat is for a very limited time, so would become a non-issue in pretty short order.
    The new recommendations are to be rear facing to the max of the seat. Most seats are 35-40lb max and 49” tall max.

Sam is pretty average and isn’t even 30 lbs yet. It’ll be another 12-18 months before he is forward facing. On a 24 month lease that’s not insignificant.

(I tried this argument in my head and it failed)
    now this, if you want a sedan, is a really nice car. I love the colors, and the equipment level is about perfect. Pretty much exactly what I would have specced out. Not sure how price compares, but does not seem out of line.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2017-bmw-3_series-certified_330i_sport_line_6_speed_manual_trans_nav_cam-used-wba8b9c5xhk676557.html

Like that a lot.
    edited September 2019
    That is quite a fleet. Love it.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    I'm surprised you didn't have all the cars in the driveway; I know it's long enough.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited September 2019
    "Mazda 3's Poor Rear Visibility Makes It the Camaro of Compact Hatchbacks

We measured and found that the view outward plummets by as much as 50 percent, making it the worst in the compact-hatchback segment.

By DAVE VANDERWERP
    AUG 30, 2019

C/D test data quantifies what's easily seen by the naked eye: a substantial drop in rear visibility in the latest Mazda 3 hatchback.

The nearest point on the road that the driver can see is 97 feet behind the 3's rear bumper, more than six and a half times the length of the car itself.

That's nearly 50 percent worse than the previous-generation 3 and the worst in the compact-hatchback segment...."

More at the link

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28857236/2019-mazda-3-hatchback-visibility-rear-window/

And the Mazda 3 has a torsion-beam rear suspension that has degraded handling according to C & D and some other publications. I used to be a fan of Mazdas, but not as much anymore. I think the sedan looks ok, but the hatchback just looks strange to me.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    qbrozen said:
    I think you would like that. Tons of fun and a great second, fun car. The Jeep owners are great and of course the aftermarket is huge when the inevitable modification bug hits.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

edited September 2019
    breld said:

Pretty well settled in the new house. We had movers on Friday, and my wife was unpacking boxes and putting things away about as fast as the movers could move them in.

My time was spent mounting and wiring 6 TVs (and I have one more to go once an extra bed is finished in the basement). And of course, the garage is my realm too, and I at least cleared enough room to get the 3 cars in. Started hanging some shelves and organizing today, but still have some work to do.

As I was organizing the garages today, I naturally had all the cars out and took this pic reflecting our apparent infatuation with VWAG.

All very pretty. I could make do with any of them!

Glad the move is done. I’ve done a couple from major relo’s to a new state to just across town and they can be equally stressful.

benjaminh said:

"Mazda 3's Poor Rear Visibility Makes It the Camaro of Compact Hatchbacks

We measured and found that the view outward plummets by as much as 50 percent, making it the worst in the compact-hatchback segment.

By DAVE VANDERWERP
    AUG 30, 2019

C/D test data quantifies what's easily seen by the naked eye: a substantial drop in rear visibility in the latest Mazda 3 hatchback.

The nearest point on the road that the driver can see is 97 feet behind the 3's rear bumper, more than six and a half times the length of the car itself.

That's nearly 50 percent worse than the previous-generation 3 and the worst in the compact-hatchback segment...."

More at the link

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28857236/2019-mazda-3-hatchback-visibility-rear-window/

And the Mazda 3 has a torsion-beam rear suspension that has degraded handling according to C & D and some other publications. I used to be a fan of Mazdas, but not as much anymore. I think the sedan looks ok, but the hatchback just looks strange to me.

Funny, there was an ad on TV for these over the weekend and from the rear quarter view I said to myself it must be nearly impossible to see out.

au1994 said:

qbrozen said:
    I think you would like that. Tons of fun and a great second, fun car. The Jeep owners are great and of course the aftermarket is huge when the inevitable modification bug hits.
    I always said I’d have another Jeep someday. Of course, I was thinking CJ7, but I suppose this would qualify. But now I’ve been thinking... “wait a sec. why am I OK with cloth and no amenities in a Wrangler, yet have been turning my nose up at any H3 with cloth?”

Yes, mods would be in store for any of these “trucks” I have been looking at. Was even reading up on what I could do with the XC60 (hint: not much).

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Anyone notice that Honcker changed their name to Rodo?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    edited September 2019
    Yes I did... I was like what is this new app on my iPad? I googled it, then proceeded to delete it!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    That was me lusting after the 80's Monte Carlo SS. The Prelude must have heard that I was looking to sever the relationship because the check engine light came on last night.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    yes, noticed that name change. well, I didn't notice as much as they sent me an email to tell me they changed their name. My login still doesn't seem to work, so I can't check up on the new app to see if it is any different. Probably not.

I have a doc appt today and there happens to be 2 dealerships "on the way" that have several vehicles I'd like to test drive. Between them, I should be able to check out the Wrangler Unlimited, XC60, JGC hemi, and another Hummer. Oh, and a 2013 C300 4matic Sport with 58k miles for $14k. Seems like a good value. Although I'm sure it won't satisfy my sportscar slot, but worth a look.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    pensfan83 said:

That was me lusting after the 80's Monte Carlo SS. The Prelude must have heard that I was looking to sever the relationship because the check engine light came on last night.

The last time mine thew a CEL, the Idle Air Control Valve was the culprit. Mine was original and VERY dirty. Pretty inexpensive fix IIRC. The part is a generic Honda part and NOT Prelude specific. My mechanic was able to get one from his sources same day.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    @pensfan83 are Buick Grand Nationals still crazy expensive?
    Love the neighborhood Breld. The house across the street is exactly the style I want.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    edited September 2019
    Love the fleet & the new 'hood! Best of luck to you! @breld

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yeah honker changed the name. App is different too. But they did add a slider to adjust DAS and payment to anything you want, with 1st payment the minimum. I still browse just to see what must be highly incentivized at the moment.

They took away “deals of the day” but I think that might be coming back.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    corvette said:

Depends.. some can be had for under 5 figures, others (like a mint 87 GNX) could be six figures.

I'd look for a clean Regal T-Type over a Monte, but that's just me.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited September 2019
    corvette said:

I would love one but I've generally shied away from considering a GN because of the premiums they command. I've seen them range anywhere from mid 30's to almost six figures. Clean, low mile GNX's can go over six figures.

Personally I don't see a real benefit to paying for a low mileage example unless you plan to keep it that way in the hopes of retaining or increasing its value. If I'm planning on driving it more than a few hundred miles a year I'm fine with one that has higher mileage as long as required maintenance and repairs are documented. I found that out when searching for the Prelude. I could pay a premium for low miles and face an internal debate whether I preserve it in the hopes of turning a profit come sale time or I buy one for half the price that has higher miles, same condition, and have zero concern about turning a profit. I chose the latter and almost one year in am glad I did.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    qbrozen said:

Believe me, I thought about leasing for him but he’d need the damage waiver and more than 20k/yr, so the cost effectiveness goes out the window. He buys cars for $3k-$6k and wrings 2-3 years out of them.

Except when he doesn't! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

I always said I’d have another Jeep someday. Of course, I was thinking CJ7, but I suppose this would qualify. But now I’ve been thinking... “wait a sec. why am I OK with cloth and no amenities in a Wrangler, yet have been turning my nose up at any H3 with cloth?”

Yes, mods would be in store for any of these “trucks” I have been looking at. Was even reading up on what I could do with the XC60 (hint: not much).

When you get as old as the H3, it is probably best to look at the best car for the mechanical equipment you want, and you can worry about appointments like leather aftermarket. It is not overly expensive to reupholster in leather if you really want to go that route.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Goal reached!

Alright. Got out to 1 dealership today. Drove a Charger, E550, JGC hemi, and a Hummer they had. Really really liked the Charger. The sound is just phenomenal. I didn't even mind the old 5-speed unit. And this particular one has really nice leather/suede seats that seem to be a very rare find. Was thinking I'd want a newer one, and I would prefer the '11+ style, but this one is super clean and cheap, so it is tempting me. Someone talk me out of it: https://www.bakerjeep.com/used/Dodge/2008-Dodge-Charger-Princeton-99a9c91c0a0e0a6b408c7ad5d4a47f23.htm

That was first. Then drove the E550 right after it. I gotta say, I much preferred the Charger. The E had an overly harsh ride. It was downright nauseating. The JGC was nice enough, but I didn't like how it drove. Very bouncy. Again, nauseating. The Hummer had mechanical issues, so I drove it maybe a half mile before returning it to the dealership.

edited September 2019
    So the charger, is that the practical/utility car, or the sports car, of the two-fer?

Too big for my taste, but looks like a nice one. Loaded. If you like it, go for it!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    I dunno, Q., it looks like it is is great condition, but for a car that is almost 12 model years old with 100K miles that seems like a lot of money.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    Sounds to me like the powers above are steering you away from a Hummer.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y