Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    maybe I'll take a peek at an Exploder. Would rather the 4.6, but the only one I have found so far has 20k more miles than this one for the same price.
    https://www.worldwideautonj.com/2009_Ford_Explorer_Hamilton_NJ_28443699.veh#

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    If you could buy a $56k used car for clean trade-in value ($48k), but you had to do it without an inspection, would you do it?
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

If you could buy a $56k used car for clean trade-in value ($48k), but you had to do it without an inspection, would you do it?

What kind of car? I don't think there is any used car I'd buy at that price without an inspection.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    tifighter said:

Did someone say mean-looking SUV (lol)?

That's an interesting looking minivan.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager

It depends. $56k could represent a wide range of vehicles, ages, and mileage. As y'all know, I've bought cars with no inspection. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    Not a bad looking exploder. Good option to consider.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    nyccarguy said:

@nyccarguy and @tjc78 - How old were your kids when you turned them forward facing in their car seat?

We followed the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations. We turned our boys around at 1. We waited until our daughter was 2.
    My son was about 15-16 months when he went to front facing. My daughter was very tiny so she made it a bit longer but still before 2.

My daughter now turns 4 in October and is in a booster (she is skinny but tall). My son is 6 in March and is riding with just a belt. Yes I know that is not Kosher but he is nearly 60 lbs and tall enough the belt is in proper position.

IMO the car seat laws are a bit out of control. I remember riding in the front at 6 years old.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I probably rode home from the hospital in my mother’s lap.

It is a little crazy. My wife wanted to keep him to the max rear facing and I'm just not sure I understand why...
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900

It is a little crazy. My wife wanted to keep him to the max rear facing and I'm just not sure I understand why...

It’s pretty uncomfortable for them as they get taller. My daughters legs were hitting the back of seat and scrunched.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited September 2019
    tjc78 said:

IMO the car seat laws are a bit out of control. I remember riding in the front at 6 years old.

Agreed. It is all about moderating risk, so do what you're most comfortable doing in terms of timing of those things. IIRC, we had ours in rear facing for around first six months, then were front-facing in the two-piece "carrier" style car seat until they outgrew it, after which they were in the five-point front-facing seats to around four or five years old, then we removed the five-point harness and they used the vehicle's seat belt over the front of that seat.

We didn't stop using the full seats until we went on our transcontinental trip in 2013, at which time our daughter was just shy of six (son was nine). Those seats were both too bulky to haul all across the continent, so we bought them each a butt-booster and never looked back. I think they were each around nine or ten when they stopped using those.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Sam’s have been that way for probably 6 months. He doesn’t complain and it seems every study says it’s safer. But sheesh it’s inconvenient.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Guy I’m friendly with has a V8 4 Runner like the ‘04 you posted @qbrozen. Mechanically very sound, but the last time he brought it in the mechanic warned him that it’s starting to rust.

I know it’s common in 4Runners & Tacoma’s of that vintage, but the brine they Pre treat the roads with can’t help matter either.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    My kids were way too tall to have ever been in rear seats that long. They were born wearing 6 or 9 month sizes! So if it works for you, I’m sure it’s a good idea.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Rust seems to plague every 4x4 older than 10 yrs around here.

I went to check out the v8 exploder. Bumpers were painted by a toddler. I didn’t bother digging further than that. Walked amongst the many indy car lots on that stretch of road. Only thing that really caught my attention was a 2010 Equinox. Sharp little trucklet. This one had 140k miles so I did not inquire. But it is something I’ll keep an eye out for.

you obviously have way more knowledge than me in terms of inspecting cars, and dealing with potential problems.

But, this is the issue I run into every time I try and come up with a cheap used car option. I start looking, and find out what the trash is like in the 7-10K price range, get frustrated, then just buy a new car.

saw a nice medium blue X3 today walking across a parking lot after dinner. so pointed out how nice looking a car it was. she agreed, but said it was too light a blue. Which it was, but otherwise nice.

then she pointed at a car across the street and said she liked the color. a gen 1 Edge, in a red/brown/bronze color. I usually love those, but she is not always a fan.

so, learned something today!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I know there's a car commercial forum on Edmunds, but I thought this was appropriate for here.

1) It makes me want a new 2020 Audi RS6 Avant badly.
    2) It's an extremely well made 6 minute plus car commercial.
    3) It tugs on the heartstrings, particularly for newer father's out there.
    4) It speaks to your soul deep down for Audi enthusiasts out there.
    5) All wagon lovers in the world can appreciate the effort that went into this.
    6) The new RS6 is beautiful in my opinion, the way a wagon can be, aggressive, without being bold like a Toyota, but elegant and classy aggression the Audi designers do so well.
    7) It gives Americans 600 reasons to buy a wagon, and they all go "neigh neigh!"

So well done! Bravo Audi.

:smile:

https://youtu.be/g8gw8B939Eo
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Sam’s have been that way for probably 6 months. He doesn’t complain and it seems every study says it’s safer. But sheesh it’s inconvenient.

The studies I found were very unconvincing and not really full-blooded studies in my opinion. I couldn't find the evidence I was hoping for to back up the conclusions and summaries.

It seems for the horrible to average driver in the US (which is a VERY LOW bar), it makes sense. For better drivers, it might not make sense. The idea is you'll crash into something yourself, front first, rather than more likely to be rear-ended (good drivers are more often rear ended than doing the rear ending). The benefits of rear-facing seem to assume you'll ram something from the front. Obviously, the stresses on the neck are the opposite if you are hit from behind first.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2019

What kind of car? I don't think there is any used car I'd buy at that price without an inspection.
    qbrozen said:

It depends. $56k could represent a wide range of vehicles, ages, and mileage. As y'all know, I've bought cars with no inspection. ;)
    It's a 2015 MB GL63 AMG with 37k miles and one-owner. Cosmetically beautiful. It's like 200 days past a major service. VSC 4yrs, 40k miles is $7800!

qbrozen said:

It's a 2015 MB GL63 AMG with 37k miles and one-owner. Cosmetically beautiful. It's like 200 days past a major service. VSC 4yrs, 40k miles is $7800!
    Oh, a 5-yr-old ridiculously complicated luxo-barge? Oh sure! I mean, what could POSSIBLY require inspecting? Not a worry in the world on that one.

That definitely needs an inspection and possibly an exorcism.
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Oh, a 5-yr-old ridiculously complicated luxo-barge? Oh sure! I mean, what could POSSIBLY require inspecting? Not a worry in the world on that one.

I once purchased a pre-owned $20k Mercedes diesel without my own inspection that ended up needing over $30k worth of work (essentially a new engine, new suspension, and diesel particulate filter). I traded it in when I got the Q8. Lost so much money, but did win a small judgment against the dealership. Illinois law is now such that I could have returned the vehicle.
    I think you just made my point.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    Not in the market, but hoping to convince @breld to go on a test drive with me tomorrow...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Famous last words
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Lincoln has yet another 30 second advertisement with Matthew McConaughey....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhFKTQkf3A
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    nyccarguy said:

@nyccarguy and @tjc78 - How old were your kids when you turned them forward facing in their car seat?

We followed the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations. We turned our boys around at 1. We waited until our daughter was 2.
    The BMW car seat I had smuggled in was designed to be forward facing from 12-months up.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Had a 4 Runner years ago. I put 50K on it with no issues. Only did required maintenance and nothing failed. Sold it to a neighbor who was communing back and forth to Columbus every day (around 180 miles/day). He put another 100K miles on it. Only did a battery replacement, tires, brakes, required maintenance. Nothing really broke on it.

He gave it to his son, who proceeded to put another 50K on it (while doing dubious maintenance, if any at all) before selling it. No issues at all.

It was rusting, but at 200K miles, I’d say it was/is a great vehicle. You can’t kill them.

Not sure about the current ones, but mine was a tank. Body on frame. An honest to goodness low range, which I used on the deepest snows and to yearly camping vacations to the Smokies.

Slow, relatively thirsty by today’s standards. Still, comfortable and wouldn’t have hesitated to drive it cross country to off road in it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ ondryas3. Nice on the above!

Had a 4 Runner years ago. I put 50K on it with no issues. Only did required maintenance and nothing failed. Sold it to a neighbor who was communing back and forth to Columbus every day (around 180 miles/day). He put another 100K miles on it. Only did a battery replacement, tires, brakes, required maintenance. Nothing really broke on it.

He gave it to his son, who proceeded to put another 50K on it (while doing dubious maintenance, if any at all) before selling it. No issues at all.

It was rusting, but at 200K miles, I’d say it was/is a great vehicle. You can’t kill them.

Not sure about the current ones, but mine was a tank. Body on frame. An honest to goodness low range, which I used on the deepest snows and to yearly camping vacations to the Smokies.

Slow, relatively thirsty by today’s standards. Still, comfortable and wouldn’t have hesitated to drive it cross country to off road in it.

I wouldn’t mind finding a preserved ‘80s 4runner with 22RE engine and 5-spd. I rather liked the one I drove through my college years.

edited September 2019

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

I once purchased a pre-owned $20k Mercedes diesel without my own inspection that ended up needing over $30k worth of work (essentially a new engine, new suspension, and diesel particulate filter). I traded it in when I got the Q8. Lost so much money, but did win a small judgment against the dealership. Illinois law is now such that I could have returned the vehicle.
    Speaking of suspensions, my TTS is getting a new rear suspension assembly. I took it in for a seat heater button not lighting up correctly in the left side vent, and the tech said the TSB on the rear suspension mounts applied to my car (he heard noises that shouldn't be there), so they ordered that as well. Bring in my car a week later, and they call the next day to confirm the need a whole rear shock assembly (from Germany). They said to get comfortable with my old loaner, the '16 A7 TDI that's black on black that I'm borrowing, it could be up to 3 weeks.

While I'm upset they tried to get away with just the mounts, I'm happy to get a fresh set of shocks for the rear. I was just thinking KW Variant 3 Coil-overs might be a nice upgrade. I asked about the fronts and they said they were fine. Apparently the rear threw a code (they are magnetically adjustable). Interestingly, the TSB included a suspension software update (who'd of known, but I guess I should have since they are adjustable electronically and magnetically), I believe it has ended my train of "don't ask don't tell" policy regarding my tune. They will cover this one, but the younger newer service adviser (I knew I should have stuck with my old veteran guy), said that Audi USA was getting terrible about paying warranty claims for tuned cars, and he'd likely have to pay for this through his own "account" or something like that. I mentioned how the shocks had nothing to do with the tune (though he just gave the tuners another idea to "tune" the suspension with software for the track). He said while he didn't agree with Audi USA, that's what they are doing now.

Should have stuck with the adviser that turns a blind eye. Maybe my tech got mad for calling him out on changing fresh Motul 600 brake fluid for the normal dealership stuff, or maybe mentioning the odd brake fluid raised too many flags.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    qbrozen said:

Eh. I don’t think the design of the Ridgeline has aged well at all (if you were even one of the few who liked it before).
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/245545448

I was in traffic today next to a 1st-gen Ridgeline. I will freely admit that I hated the styling when they first came out. But I guess time heals all wounds, even to the eye, and now that it is just a used car it isn't particularly offensive to me. Certainly not as bad in that way as several other Asian models, not to mention the Aztek. Looking at it objectively, it seems the perfect solution to the set of needs you posted. If you could find a decent one that isn't rusty within in your budget I think that is what I would go for. I would feel much more confident with a decade+ old Honda than some other makes. Were their transmission woes over by the time this one came along?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

benjaminh said:

Lincoln has yet another 30 second advertisement with Matthew McConaughey....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhFKTQkf3A

That would certainly be cheaper to play during the 2020 Superbowl then Audi's 6:40 second spot I linked above. I'd love to see a 6:30 second version at the Superbowl, but how many RS 6's would that cost?
    I saw one of these in traffic today. Was surprisingly cute and in looking up what it was, it is remarkably civilized inside. Seemed to keep up well with traffic though I wouldn't want to drive it on a windy day.

It's a Honda Vamos, made up until 2016. The one I saw looked almost brand-new and was in well cared-for condition, even had wind deflectors on the side windows. Maybe the ideal solution for @qbrozen if he can handle RHD... :laughing:

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Nice on all of the above
    happened to pass the local Jag dealer today. It used to also have the SAAB dealer in the same building, but since they went under, was just Jag. New to me, they now have the Land Rover store (formerly about 3-4 miles down the road, also in a stand alone store) in there too. Not sure what is going on with that building (renovating or selling something else out of it, or just selling it) but it was in a spot with lousy access.

they are all I believe part of the group that owns the VW/Audi/Porsche stores (those are all together) and the MB palace just up the street.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    ab348 said:

I saw one of these in traffic today. Was surprisingly cute and in looking up what it was, it is remarkably civilized inside. Seemed to keep up well with traffic though I wouldn't want to drive it on a windy day.

It's a Honda Vamos, made up until 2016. The one I saw looked almost brand-new and was in well cared-for condition, even had wind deflectors on the side windows. Maybe the ideal solution for @qbrozen if he can handle RHD... :laughing:

To me, that’s great looking. I would definitely buy one of those were it offered in the US. Van-like space that fits in your garage. Never seen one before.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    stopped to lot shop at Hyundia today. Oh, noticed a lot of new signage for Genesis on the building too (they have always been in there) which is surprising, since last fall I was talking to them and they were supposedly redoing the old CPJ location about a mile or 2 away (huge place that they were already using the service area from). Seemed to make a lot more sense to move Hyundai store up there since it is bigger. So who knows?

plenty of Genisii around. And I saw a delivery happening on a Kona Electric (said electric in big letters on the back).

they did have a couple nice Santa Fes parked out front. They are really growing on me. Nice styling in and out and well equipped. Need to get the wife out to drive one. They had a 2.0t in Lava Orange I loved. sent her a pick, but she wasn't convinced. But she liked the blue one next to it. Daughter thought they looked snappy too.

so we shall see! Today is our anniversary but she got a dozen roses instead of a new car.

thebean said:

ab348 said:

To me, that’s great looking. I would definitely buy one of those were it offered in the US. Van-like space that fits in your garage. Never seen one before.
    Here you go, just waiting for you to buy it.

https://www.japanesevehicles.com/vehicle_details.php?vid=199778

Odd thing about that site, it told me that vehicles had to be 15 years of age or older to be imported into Canada (and for the US, it basically said forget it). The one I saw is a late model and was registered here with local plates, so I wonder how that was done.

I have a confession to make. My little one and I glanced at a last-gen Jeep Liberty and thought it wasn’t all that bad looking. May even consider the right one. I am also thinking of test driving a Nitro.

Nothing good today. Visited 2 dealers that had all garbage cars. Not worth my time. Would have liked to shop more but I have a couple guys here putting up fence at the slowest pace I have ever witnessed.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Speaking of suspensions, my TTS is getting a new rear suspension assembly. I took it in for a seat heater button not lighting up correctly in the left side vent, and the tech said the TSB on the rear suspension mounts applied to my car (he heard noises that shouldn't be there), so they ordered that as well. Bring in my car a week later, and they call the next day to confirm the need a whole rear shock assembly (from Germany). They said to get comfortable with my old loaner, the '16 A7 TDI that's black on black that I'm borrowing, it could be up to 3 weeks.

While I'm upset they tried to get away with just the mounts, I'm happy to get a fresh set of shocks for the rear. I was just thinking KW Variant 3 Coil-overs might be a nice upgrade. I asked about the fronts and they said they were fine. Apparently the rear threw a code (they are magnetically adjustable). Interestingly, the TSB included a suspension software update (who'd of known, but I guess I should have since they are adjustable electronically and magnetically), I believe it has ended my train of "don't ask don't tell" policy regarding my tune. They will cover this one, but the younger newer service adviser (I knew I should have stuck with my old veteran guy), said that Audi USA was getting terrible about paying warranty claims for tuned cars, and he'd likely have to pay for this through his own "account" or something like that. I mentioned how the shocks had nothing to do with the tune (though he just gave the tuners another idea to "tune" the suspension with software for the track). He said while he didn't agree with Audi USA, that's what they are doing now.

Should have stuck with the adviser that turns a blind eye. Maybe my tech got mad for calling him out on changing fresh Motul 600 brake fluid for the normal dealership stuff, or maybe mentioning the odd brake fluid raised too many flags.
    It would have been flagged TD1 no matter who your service advisor was. When they hook up to your OBD2 port they know how many flashes the ECU has received vs how many it should have. They can also check an actual vs spec on multiple parameters and see that you are outside of the factory parameters on multiple specs.

You have to pay to play.
    Test drove a Bolt EV Premier today. Really fun car - quick, excellent interior, nice layout. The cabin was very quiet and the backseat was big. Probably the same size inside as the i3 but with regular doors it was much more accessible.

The big problem? The seats are horribly uncomfortable. My back was hurting after all of 2 miles driving it. The manual adjustments simply don’t do enough and there is no lumbar adjustment.

I really wanted to love it but it just didn’t work for me.
    edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

I have a confession to make. My little one and I glanced at a last-gen Jeep Liberty and thought it wasn’t all that bad looking. May even consider the right one. I am also thinking of test driving a Nitro.

A former co-worker had a Liberty for 3 years (a lease). Guzzled gas, and was troublesome. He was glad to turn it back in. I have not heard many people sing their praises (or that of the Nitro which is the same under the skin). Lots of problems it seems.

Here's a good deal on a Ridgeline (hint hint):
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c2083&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c21833&zip=08608&distance=200&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=MILEAGE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=245545448

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,976
    I took my test drive today. I convinced @breld to accompany me to a Mazda dealer where I drove a 2018 Mazda 3 GT sedan with a stick shift. CPO with only 1100 miles on it, and a price tag under $21,000.

Blue over black leather, pretty well-equipped with the Bose stereo. I liked the way it drove - the lack of a turbo was more than made up by for the row-your-own transmission.

Could be a contender - if I was in the market

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

the big If.

I was really smitten by the Santa Fe's I saw today. really gotta drive one. Might hit the sweet spot of cost, features, size, and a biggie, wife being comfortable with it.

Recently I think she is going backwards being able to handle tech stuff (work PC, phones, etc.). An X3 or new RDX (even an XC60) might put her over the edge. Santa Fe does all the same stuff, but just simpler (more like a "normal" car)!

oh, the Outback would probably be even more perfect, if she can get over it being a "wagon"