Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

I have a confession to make. My little one and I glanced at a last-gen Jeep Liberty and thought it wasn’t all that bad looking. May even consider the right one. I am also thinking of test driving a Nitro.

Nothing good today. Visited 2 dealers that had all garbage cars. Not worth my time. Would have liked to shop more but I have a couple guys here putting up fence at the slowest pace I have ever witnessed.

I like the Liberty- especially the Renegade.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    My neighbor had a Liberty (I think an earlier one). It was not a great car. and definitely not something that fits the rough and tumble "macho" look.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

If you could buy a $56k used car for clean trade-in value ($48k), but you had to do it without an inspection, would you do it?

What kind of car? I don't think there is any used car I'd buy at that price without an inspection.
    qbrozen said:

If you could buy a $56k used car for clean trade-in value ($48k), but you had to do it without an inspection, would you do it?

It depends. $56k could represent a wide range of vehicles, ages, and mileage. As y'all know, I've bought cars with no inspection. ;)
    It's a 2015 MB GL63 AMG with 37k miles and one-owner. Cosmetically beautiful. It's like 200 days past a major service. VSC 4yrs, 40k miles is $7800!
    Oh, a 5-yr-old ridiculously complicated luxo-barge? Oh sure! I mean, what could POSSIBLY require inspecting? Not a worry in the world on that one.

That definitely needs an inspection and possibly an exorcism.

I once purchased a pre-owned $20k Mercedes diesel without my own inspection that ended up needing over $30k worth of work (essentially a new engine, new suspension, and diesel particulate filter). I traded it in when I got the Q8. Lost so much money, but did win a small judgment against the dealership. Illinois law is now such that I could have returned the vehicle.
    Speaking of suspensions, my TTS is getting a new rear suspension assembly. I took it in for a seat heater button not lighting up correctly in the left side vent, and the tech said the TSB on the rear suspension mounts applied to my car (he heard noises that shouldn't be there), so they ordered that as well. Bring in my car a week later, and they call the next day to confirm the need a whole rear shock assembly (from Germany). They said to get comfortable with my old loaner, the '16 A7 TDI that's black on black that I'm borrowing, it could be up to 3 weeks.

While I'm upset they tried to get away with just the mounts, I'm happy to get a fresh set of shocks for the rear. I was just thinking KW Variant 3 Coil-overs might be a nice upgrade. I asked about the fronts and they said they were fine. Apparently the rear threw a code (they are magnetically adjustable). Interestingly, the TSB included a suspension software update (who'd of known, but I guess I should have since they are adjustable electronically and magnetically), I believe it has ended my train of "don't ask don't tell" policy regarding my tune. They will cover this one, but the younger newer service adviser (I knew I should have stuck with my old veteran guy), said that Audi USA was getting terrible about paying warranty claims for tuned cars, and he'd likely have to pay for this through his own "account" or something like that. I mentioned how the shocks had nothing to do with the tune (though he just gave the tuners another idea to "tune" the suspension with software for the track). He said while he didn't agree with Audi USA, that's what they are doing now.

Should have stuck with the adviser that turns a blind eye. Maybe my tech got mad for calling him out on changing fresh Motul 600 brake fluid for the normal dealership stuff, or maybe mentioning the odd brake fluid raised too many flags.
    It would have been flagged TD1 no matter who your service advisor was. When they hook up to your OBD2 port they know how many flashes the ECU has received vs how many it should have. They can also check an actual vs spec on multiple parameters and see that you are outside of the factory parameters on multiple specs.

You have to pay to play.
    Yes, but nothing says the service advisor or tech can't ignore a TD1 and turn a blind eye to how many flashes are on the counter. Besides, Audi keeps updating the software themselves, they could easily lose count.

There are companies out there that thinks they've outsmarted the system, but the easiest way is to find a tech that turns a blind eye.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    edited September 2019
    andres3 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

What kind of car? I don't think there is any used car I'd buy at that price without an inspection.
    qbrozen said:

It depends. $56k could represent a wide range of vehicles, ages, and mileage. As y'all know, I've bought cars with no inspection. ;)
    It's a 2015 MB GL63 AMG with 37k miles and one-owner. Cosmetically beautiful. It's like 200 days past a major service. VSC 4yrs, 40k miles is $7800!
    Oh, a 5-yr-old ridiculously complicated luxo-barge? Oh sure! I mean, what could POSSIBLY require inspecting? Not a worry in the world on that one.

I once purchased a pre-owned $20k Mercedes diesel without my own inspection that ended up needing over $30k worth of work (essentially a new engine, new suspension, and diesel particulate filter). I traded it in when I got the Q8. Lost so much money, but did win a small judgment against the dealership. Illinois law is now such that I could have returned the vehicle.
    Speaking of suspensions, my TTS is getting a new rear suspension assembly. I took it in for a seat heater button not lighting up correctly in the left side vent, and the tech said the TSB on the rear suspension mounts applied to my car (he heard noises that shouldn't be there), so they ordered that as well. Bring in my car a week later, and they call the next day to confirm the need a whole rear shock assembly (from Germany). They said to get comfortable with my old loaner, the '16 A7 TDI that's black on black that I'm borrowing, it could be up to 3 weeks.

While I'm upset they tried to get away with just the mounts, I'm happy to get a fresh set of shocks for the rear. I was just thinking KW Variant 3 Coil-overs might be a nice upgrade. I asked about the fronts and they said they were fine. Apparently the rear threw a code (they are magnetically adjustable). Interestingly, the TSB included a suspension software update (who'd of known, but I guess I should have since they are adjustable electronically and magnetically), I believe it has ended my train of "don't ask don't tell" policy regarding my tune. They will cover this one, but the younger newer service adviser (I knew I should have stuck with my old veteran guy), said that Audi USA was getting terrible about paying warranty claims for tuned cars, and he'd likely have to pay for this through his own "account" or something like that. I mentioned how the shocks had nothing to do with the tune (though he just gave the tuners another idea to "tune" the suspension with software for the track). He said while he didn't agree with Audi USA, that's what they are doing now.

Should have stuck with the adviser that turns a blind eye. Maybe my tech got mad for calling him out on changing fresh Motul 600 brake fluid for the normal dealership stuff, or maybe mentioning the odd brake fluid raised too many flags.
    It would have been flagged TD1 no matter who your service advisor was. When they hook up to your OBD2 port they know how many flashes the ECU has received vs how many it should have. They can also check an actual vs spec on multiple parameters and see that you are outside of the factory parameters on multiple specs.

You have to pay to play.
    Yes, but nothing says the service advisor or tech can't ignore a TD1 and turn a blind eye to how many flashes are on the counter. Besides, Audi keeps updating the software themselves, they could easily lose count.

There are companies out there that thinks they've outsmarted the system, but the easiest way is to find a tech that turns a blind eye.
    It is not up to the tech. If it is hooked up to your OBD2 then it is up to Audi corporate. The tech is entirely out of the equation. Audi will not pay the local dealership to perform the repairs (should driveline only).

Some fixes can be done without hooking up to OBD2, but a software update is not one of them.

I wish that you were right but not so much.

Not a single company that upgrades power for Audi by ECU flash will guarantee you that you will not get a TD1. Audi can even detect tuner boxes and give you a TB1.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

I have a confession to make. My little one and I glanced at a last-gen Jeep Liberty and thought it wasn’t all that bad looking. May even consider the right one. I am also thinking of test driving a Nitro.

A former co-worker had a Liberty for 3 years (a lease). Guzzled gas, and was troublesome. He was glad to turn it back in. I have not heard many people sing their praises (or that of the Nitro which is the same under the skin). Lots of problems it seems.

Here's a good deal on a Ridgeline (hint hint):
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c2083&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c21833&zip=08608&distance=200&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=MILEAGE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=245545448
    Just factor in approx $1000 for a timing belt service at 105,000 miles (IIRC) - this is an interference engine. Same motor as my old MDX. A buddy and I did it for $300 using OEM parts.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    qbrozen said:

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

My driveway was ripped up today. We are having them lengthen and widen it while they are at it. 21 feet wide and I believe something like 130 feet long.

Wow! That's a hefty driveway! Are you painting a yellow line down the center while you're at it? ;)
    Far be it from me to put anything in his head but after his road is finished and lines and numbers have been painted, he could get his friends and neighbor's together on weekends for the @qbrozen 130. B)

jmonroe
    I looked over the completed project today (well, almost completed), and I was quite a bit under on my number. It is approx 70 yards long from tip to tip.

Lines, numbers? Oh well, at least you got the starting rope ready to be dropped. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Got a couple of PP sales lined up for viewing tomorrow ... I think.

One is a 2011 Equinox AWD 4-cyl with leather. 120k miles but asking only $4900.

I am slowly going back and forth for info on a ML500 with 91k, but he is asking $9500, which is full retail, so I’m not sure I want to waste my time.

If the Equinox fails, I may go look at a quad cab Dakota. Then a couple of v8 JGC’s are speaking to me. BUT, my time tomorrow is limited, as usual.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I am thinking JGC may fit the bill perfectly for you. Plus .... and I could be wrong but you definitely have a like for Mopar.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

here is one they make sound like it is cleaner than the board of health. Price within budget.

https://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/details-2007-jeep-grand_cherokee-4wd_4dr_laredo-used-1j8gr48kx7c618882.html

stickguy said:

here is one they make sound like it is cleaner than the board of health. Price within budget.

https://www.turnersvilleautomall.com/details-2007-jeep-grand_cherokee-4wd_4dr_laredo-used-1j8gr48kx7c618882.html

Thanks for the find. But when a dealer is using “incentives” on a used car, it is likely one I will avoid:

As low as $7700*

*Internet price reflects $500 Nissan of Turnersville College Grad and all Financing Rebates/Incentives up to $500.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Dakota sounds good. but that thing definitely worked hard with that beast of a tow hitch on it!

Equinox, if the miles don't bother you, looks clean and pretty cheap.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    What about a prior gen Pilot?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

What about a prior gen Pilot?

Saw one at the dealer i was at yesterday. Entire truck had been badly repainted.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @qb good luck on the searching can’t wait to hear about it tomorrow.
    @qb learn the driveway and Friends are coming along very nice.
    @qb I happen to really like the last generation pilot, love the sheep the Boxee style, the third row is so roomie was in the ones my aunts used to have gone to my brothers for four hours and I was fine. Also love the last generation 2005 to 12 pathfinder a lot. Or even an Xterra two. One day would love to get my hands on one not rusty and abused either first or second generation Xterra, although prefer the second generation.
    The last generation liberty I like to, and nitro, I think they might’ve made a third one the aspirin based on those two but not sure how those look.
    Unfortunately those FJ cruiser nice to put their way overpriced if no one wanted them they wouldn’t be purchased because everyone wants them they’re overpriced just like the used wrangler we overpriced because everyone wants them main reason.
    @ stink guy happy belated anniversary to you and your wife. Love those Santa Fe’s to set up a few other dealers recently love them. When you’re ready either buy or lease if lease to try to go through a broker probably will do better maybe what do you all think. If by I know you know what to do.
    @ Fabian, love that Honda that they don’t unfortunately sell here love the maxi style.
    edited September 2019
    nice. and you got a Hemi Daytona and a clean looking CUV for hauling crap around, all for the price of a Ford Fiesta.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Interesting plays, @qbrozen. Curious to see how happy you are with this stable.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @qbrozen, enjoy!
    at these price points, and since he can DIY most anything, not much in the way of exposure. You get bored of one, cut it loose!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465
    @qbrozen, from the Burgh it looks pretty good but I know you want to put your hands all over it.

Good luck with it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

The problem with the Mercedes AIRMATIC suspensions, for me, is that they cost so much. The factory warranty on them is like a year or three years—it's something ridiculous. Arnotts have a lifetime warranty, but the parts are still extremely pricey and independent mechanics run about $120/hour in my area. Add in ADS or Active Curve, you are easily $6k+ for a total replacement.
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    @qbrozen nice looking Equinox! Is that an LS or LT? I thought only LT had leather seats, but they could be aftermarket.
    @ stink guy happy belated anniversary to you and your wife. Love those Santa Fe’s to set up a few other dealers recently love them. When you’re ready either buy or lease if lease to try to go through a broker probably will do better maybe what do you all think. If by I know you know what to do.
    @qb con-grads on the second punch!
    corvette said:

@qbrozen nice looking Equinox! Is that an LS or LT? I thought only LT had leather seats, but they could be aftermarket.

It's a rather odd configuration. I also thought only LT had leather, but these really don't seem to be aftermarket. No moonroof or anything else. VIN comes up as an LS. I don't get it. It definitely has the BT package, though.

So far, I've already ordered a front push bar and replacement headlights with black buckets. Only $300 total. I know I'll get some hate, but I plan on blacking out the wheels (unless I have another set that will fit) and other chrome bits. I am going to figure out how to raise it up a little and then slap on oversized M/T tires. Maybe a roof basket and extra lights, too. mwuhahahah.

going for a look kind of like this.

so, basically, you are going into your second childhood?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I'm sure that rip-roaring 2.4L Ecotec will buy loads of street cred. :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

just put a 4" tailpipe opening on it. all you need.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats on punch #2 @qbrozen !

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

corvette said:

It's a rather odd configuration. I also thought only LT had leather, but these really don't seem to be aftermarket. No moonroof or anything else. VIN comes up as an LS. I don't get it. It definitely has the BT package, though.

So far, I've already ordered a front push bar and replacement headlights with black buckets. Only $300 total. I know I'll get some hate, but I plan on blacking out the wheels (unless I have another set that will fit) and other chrome bits. I am going to figure out how to raise it up a little and then slap on oversized M/T tires. Maybe a roof basket and extra lights, too. mwuhahahah.
    Bring that bad boy west and well find some trails :)
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    obviously, that rogue is quite the exaggeration. lol.

The 2.4 really ain't all that bad. More power than pretty much any economy car. Yeah, OK, its 3900 lb. It actually reminds me A LOT of our first gen Forester. Very quick off the line, but passing at speed takes a great deal of planning. I will say it makes good noise. My son keeps commenting it sounds very racy from within the cabin when I step on it.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Q....nice punch #2. You’ve been quite the wheeler-dealer. Big congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    qbrozen said:

obviously, that rogue is quite the exaggeration. lol.

The 2.4 really ain't all that bad. More power than pretty much any economy car. Yeah, OK, its 3900 lb. It actually reminds me A LOT of our first gen Forester. Very quick off the line, but passing at speed takes a great deal of planning. I will say it makes good noise. My son keeps commenting it sounds very racy from within the cabin when I step on it.

I’ve driven one of that vintage. The 4 isn’t bad at all. Cruises at high speed just fine and enough torque to get you moving.

Keep us posted on the progress.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

When does the Daytona arrive? That should cure the passing power problem.

Could easily go pick it up. Short flight from EWR to Norfolk, then 5-6 hour trip back to see what you got.

stickguy said:

When does the Daytona arrive? That should cure the passing power problem.

Could easily go pick it up. Short flight from EWR to Norfolk, then 5-6 hour trip back to see what you got.

tomorrow or Wed, I think.

I looked at all options and they didn't make any financial sense. I'm paying only $300 for transport.

The Prelude's CEL goes back to a knock sensor, very odd since performance hasn't been affected. Connections were checked/tightened and the code cleared. So far the CEL hasn't illuminated so it's possible it was a loose connection to the computer.

After that was resolved the drivers window and door lock controls stopped working. Found that appears to be the result of pinched wires because when the door is fully open they work fine, when closed...nope. Since the door panels were off for the front speaker install I suspect a wire loom just needs repositioned. The shop that did the install said they would take care of it so tomorrow it goes there.
    $300 is cheap. It would cost more to fly down and drive back.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Congrats Q!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    qbrozen -
    Congrats times 2 !
    - Ray
    Not even ONE punch this year...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Odds are I am punch free too. I just hope the wife’s work slows done enough in another month or two that we can take a “date day” to go out looking. Can’t be too hard, with only 5 cars on the shopping list!

I'll have at least one in 2020 (TLX) and one in 2021 (Tacoma) when leases mature.
    2021 I am a lock!