Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    I finally got a chance to put some Shinola on the convertible. I used Meguiar’s Ultimate Fast Finish. Took about ten minutes not counting wash time.

Not bad for 20 year old paint.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    driver100 said:

We are off to see family in Victoria B.C. Will be back on Tuesday. I don't think I can log on using my tablet, tried with a different account etc., so I should be back soon...I will be able to read, BUT, Sorry, can't comment :'(
    You will have to try and manage without me.

Been there, done that. :(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    News of the day is that the UAW announced that their 49000 members are striking GM as of midnight.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    entirely possible that devolves into a nose cut off to spite the face scenario.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2019
    Another day at Miami Dolphins Hard Rock Stadium where the beer and the food was stupendous, the air-conditioning welcomed and the Dolphins lost 43-0 - even worse than last week. At least they scored 10 points last week!

A pathetic performance by every member of the team including the new head coach. The stadium had half empty seats. Next home game will be almost empty in my estimation. Going to be a long winter down here - not one pro team with any chance of winning. An atrocity! 😗😂😂😩

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Keep it up and they’ll pay you to sit in the box.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    Tank for Tua!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Keep it up and they’ll pay you to sit in the box.

Even the skyboxes were empty - frustrating!

2021 Genesis G90

At least you got to see TB12 and AB play catch.

ab348 said:

Yes - Tom Brady is, without doubt, the best QB in NFL history. Brown is amazing - he is so quick and deceptive - worth the millions they are paying him.

2021 Genesis G90

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Detroit press is saying Ford is having to ship quite a few 2020 Explorer's and Aviators off the Chicago assembly line to Flat Rock for repairs, some apparently rather significant. Perhaps they pushed these into production before they were ready for prime time too? What a mess.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    abacomike said:

ab348 said:

Yes - Tom Brady is, without doubt, the best QB in NFL history. Brown is amazing - he is so quick and deceptive - worth the millions they are paying him.
    Good football layer, sleazy human.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    berri said:

Detroit press is saying Ford is having to ship quite a few 2020 Explorer's and Aviators off the Chicago assembly line to Flat Rock for repairs, some apparently rather significant. Perhaps they pushed these into production before they were ready for prime time too? What a mess.

There have been some recalls in the news for various cars lately.

At least Ford will have some time to catch up sales if the UAW strikes against GM tonight.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

ab348 said:

Which one? B)

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

ab348 said:

Not the first one like that in the history of the NFL. In fact, if you didn't know better, it's almost easy to understand that they condone it. If you're good they have a place for you.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    @imidazol97
    You may well be right, especially if the GM strike drags out. Some very contentious and difficult issues on both sides of the bargaining table. But the Explorer is probably Ford's number 2 critical vehicle behind the F-150. I was looking forward to following its RWD debut experience. Guess I'll have to wait awhile now.
    It seems that one of Ford's major corporate metrics (and thus what helps drive senior management compensation) is "on-time launch". As we saw with the Focus DCT fiasco, this can have unforeseen consequences (or maybe they saw them and just didn't care).

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

ab348 said:

Carnaught, if you mean Brown, perhaps you are correct - but Brady does not fit that category of “sleazy” IMO.

2021 Genesis G90

For some strange reason, it seems a bit odd that GM is frequently the main target of The UAW. GM always seems the first one to have a strike on its hands.

Could be the lack of appropriate collective bargaining on GM’s part or on the part of the UAW. Why always GM?

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

It seems that one of Ford's major corporate metrics (and thus what helps drive senior management compensation) is "on-time launch". As we saw with the Focus DCT fiasco, this can have unforeseen consequences (or maybe they saw them and just didn't care).

That has to be the way they draw it up at Harvard's business school..."that's the next suckers problem, I got mine now let's see if the next guy can get his".

jmonroe
    abacomike said:

For some strange reason, it seems a bit odd that GM is frequently the main target of The UAW. GM always seems the first one to have a strike on its hands.

Could be the lack of appropriate collective bargaining on GM’s part or on the part of the UAW. Why always GM?

Because GM is the biggest. If they can get concessions from GM, the rest will fall like dominoes. At least that's the way it used to be and it worked. I met a guy a long time ago that worked at a Fisher Body plant not too far from me and he used to moan, "why are we always the guinea pig".

jmonroe
    I wonder how much a barrel of oil will jump in price when the market opens tomorrow. My guess is $15.00+. That would put it at over $73.00 a barrel.

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited September 2019
    abacomike said:

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

ab348 said:

Carnaught, if you mean Brown, perhaps you are correct - but Brady does not fit that category of “sleazy” IMO.

Yeah talking about Brown, with some child support and other issues. Brady, like him or hate him, does not fall in that category.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    but Brady does not fit that category of “sleazy” IMO

A different kind of sleazy...

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    abacomike said:

It's all about the Benjamins. Last year GM made $8 billion in profits while its executives are earned humongous salaries and bonuses. Besides, Ford and Chrysler signed contract extensions with their employees. And the strike hopefully will curb GM's penchant for plant closings.

In the end, the strike will not hurt GM that much as it will help to bring down bloated dealer inventory levels from 77 days to a more respectable 61 days for the industry.
    edited September 2019
    Hadn't Ford moved a lot of production out of the UAW's US area?

It was a mistake when UAW was given part ownership of GM and was allowed to continue the stranglehold on BIG 3 production within the US. This morning the radio show talked about average folks are paying over 20% of their healthcare costs: UAW workers are paying 3%, and complaining about it.

For the UAW to demand even more now takes chutzpah to overlook that bond holders, including many mutual funds, got nothing on GM bonds when the original company dissolved as UAW got ownership in the new company.

The UAW also has had some problems about the management--I recall recently a large sum of cash was found in the Canton MI home of one of the big wigs. Corruption always affects those at the top of these pyramids and that applies to unions.

As to the closed plants, IIRC an electric truck company is supported for buying Lordstown. The negotiation offerings by GM have been publicized after the UAW went out complaining they weren't given enough when involved in part ownership of the new GM and having been kept as a union strangling the company. Honda, toyota, don't have that problem at their plants within the US, do they? GM offered $8000 each as as bonus for signing?

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited September 2019
    I’ve been on both sides of that coin...having worked as a Union Member (UAW, in particular) while I was trying to earn money to finish college. And, I’ve been a part of GM Plant Management (very briefly) after graduation. Dont’ know why, but GM always had an adversarial relationship with their hourly workers. Of course, coin flips both ways.

Bottom line, when GM had hat in hand, they came to the gov’t and the hourly workers for help. UAW had foregone wage increases and bonuses as a result.

Now, when it’s time to fulfill the promises made for payback once GM got healthy, they seem to have a short memory. Can’t do that and expect to get away with it.

I don’t side with the UAW all the time. This time, I do.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Mike, I feel for the fans of the Miami pro teams. Both baseball and football (which has the more storied franchise) have been stripped of their former glory. Cincinnati fans feel your pain.

But, with the Dolphins, for management to so unashamedly tank is a travesty.

I do feel good about our REDS. The long, drawn out rebuild is starting to make sense. The Bengals? Will give the new coaching regime some time. But, it’s clear to me they have so many holes to fill, I hope they end up with one of the top draft slots next season so we can finally get another QB and build around him.

Of course, that’s Miami’s plan of action, too. Although, by tanking this season, they have a wealth of draft capital to build upon.

Mike, I feel for the fans of the Miami pro teams. Both baseball and football (which has the more storied franchise) have been stripped of their former glory. Cincinnati fans feel your pain.

But, with the Dolphins, for management to so unashamedly tank is a travesty.

I do feel good about our REDS. The long, drawn out rebuild is starting to make sense. The Bengals? Will give the new coaching regime some time. But, it’s clear to me they have so many holes to fill, I hope they end up with one of the top draft slots next season so we can finally get another QB and build around him.

Of course, that’s Miami’s plan of action, too. Although, by tanking this season, they have a wealth of draft capital to build upon.

I now refuse to go to any Dolphins games - food and beer/wine is one thing, but purposely tanking an entire season (probably 3-4 seasons) is a travesty to the Miami fans. The stadium was half empty yesterday and the next home game will have more visiting team fans in the stands than home team fans.

Miami is going to trade away more great players - not just for draft picks but also to reduce payrolls so an empty stadium won’t hurt them very much.

Our baseball and hockey teams are in the gutter as well and it is in the cards for the Heat to tank as well.

Maybe I will start following Chicago or Texas teams from now on - not worth getting upset with the Miami teams.😝😆😩😗

2021 Genesis G90

Miami will have to do what Cleveland did for a while - take advantage of their history on the big screen. I remember going with my now-wife to Indians games during Ricky Vaughn bobble-head giveaway night. Dolphins could do Ace Ventura bobble-head giveaway night.
    Laces out!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    yesterday was a bad day. Both Giants and Eagles lost.

Anybody else disgusted when McCown took the eagles into scoring position only to have Wentz take over at that crucial moment and not deliver? Horrible decision to take the ball out of a QB's hands when the momentum is in his favor.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Agreed on that... they should have let him finish the series.

edited September 2019
    abacomike said:

Maybe I will start following Chicago or Texas teams from now on - not worth getting upset with the Miami teams.😝😆😩😗

I'll offer the Bengals for you to follow. They have a sweetheart deal that they get paid for all the empty seats by the County's agreement with the Bengals.

To relate that to cars, that would be like an auto manufacturer being built their plant by the state/city and then paid for all the number of autos they don't sell each year if their sales aren't going at full tilt.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    abacomike said:

I think it’s two reasons - one, being largest, so if the unions show success there, the theory is other two will fall in line. Two, they also had likely very weak, self-serving management over the years. I remember one time Bob Lutz was asked why they didn’t fight the unions hard enough he pointed out to the strike fund, apparently unions had something like 3 months and GM wouldn’t last three weeks. I almost jump from my seats, why the reporter didn’t ask whose fault it was. They new about it for decades, but did nothing to strengthen financial position of the company. There are was - dividend cut/elimination, credit arrangements. But all if that would mean temporary pain for shareholders and the managers would have to face them, stock would be down, bonuses would be suspended or reduced. Not that it all happened later but at least Wagoneer, Lutz and bunch of other got their bonuses and saw their job to hide real condition of the company, rather than fix it.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I’ve been on both sides of that coin...having worked as a Union Member (UAW, in particular) while I was trying to earn money to finish college. And, I’ve been a part of GM Plant Management (very briefly) after graduation. Dont’ know why, but GM always had an adversarial relationship with their hourly workers. Of course, coin flips both ways.

Bottom line, when GM had hat in hand, they came to the gov’t and the hourly workers for help. UAW had foregone wage increases and bonuses as a result.

Now, when it’s time to fulfill the promises made for payback once GM got healthy, they seem to have a short memory. Can’t do that and expect to get away with it.

I don’t side with the UAW all the time. This time, I do.

There's a difference between the UAW leadership and the rank and file. The leadership is currently under investigation for various problems. I recall decades back talking about cars it was mentioned how the leadership of the Union has a different retirement plan from the rank and file, funded at 105% then. However, the rank and file plan was e.g. only 60% funded (I don't recall the exact numbers).

The union did not support the IUE and another one at the Moraine Assembly. They were left out of any of the nice benefits for jobs from the agreement with the gov't. Moraine was closed. The union folks were, well, up a creek.

And management at GM has always been middle bloated and all over paid. The middle types at Moraine Assembly were having to fight to get their retirement plan funded by the US government.

Half dozen of one, six of the other. I'm glad I'm not negotiating on this.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The fans in Pittsburgh are not feeling any better either. Roethlisberger is out for the season and will probably undergo Tommy John surgery. This creates an opportunistic opening for Colin Kaepernick to return to the NFL with little risk to the Steelers. Even the guys at ESPN are hinting at that prospect.
    Giants fans (well, many of them) will be happy to trade you Eli. Veteran presence! 2 super bowl rings!

This is going to be a crummy NFL season. I can already tell.
    Not if you are a patriots fan.

Steelers have been kidding themselves for a little while, now.....hanging onto Big Ben a little too long instead of drafting his successor.

Bengals did the same thing with Dalton. We could have drafted Lamar Jackson. WE didn’t. Bengals have waisted so much draft capital that we could have fielded a good team with the ones Bengals could have drafted, but didn’t.

At least the REDs have one of the best starting rotations in the NL set up for next year, and a couple of young sluggers to build around (Aquino and Suarez).
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    abacomike said:

GM is the only one with 30 billion in cash laying around.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    GM is the only one with 30 billion in cash laying around.

Speak for yourself! :D

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Rumors were floated last week by someone (forget who) that Roethlisberger was going to pack it in after this year anyway. But he is under contract for this year and next at $30 million per year so recover from surgery this year to collect that paycheck, and then bow out with another $30 mil next year.

edited September 2019
    Today, all the local newscasts and newspapers trounced on the Miami Dolphins approach to rebuilding their team. To lose two consecutive games by 49 and then 47 points is outrageous! They are not finished with trading their best players and those best players have made it known they want out.

If I was a Dolphin and I saw the handwriting on the wall, I’d want out as quickly as possible. Even the owner of the team said it will be long and painful to rebuild the Dolphins. What kind of message is that sending career players in their prime?

2021 Genesis G90

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    The search has begun.

My wife has had her Forester for over 4 years now so I figured it’s time to get her something new; even though she doesn’t care. She passes the 5% rule for needing a 3-row vehicle now, at least in the summer months. She does not want back in a minivan.

We went out looking yesterday so she could take her time since the dealers are closed on Sundays.

We started at Honda, looking at the Pilot. She liked them, but wasn’t thrilled.

Next was the Chevy/Mazda dealer. They didn’t have a single CX9 and she didn’t like the Traverse.

Next was Ford/Kia. Nothing there interested her. Well, actually the Flex got her attention. She laughed at it.

We went right past the Dodge/Nissan place and the Buick/GMC place and landed at the Toyota/VW place. She was not enticed by the big yellow things hanging on the rear-view mirrors at Toyota. Every Highlander had a reduced price of somewhere in the 40’s and she didn’t like the 4Runner. She is very frugal even though I’m buying. She was actually offended by the supposedly low prices.

She liked the VW Atlas. They only have 2019’s, but they are all reduced which, sort of, made her happy. One with any equipment at all is still in the high 30’s.

Next was Subaru. She is working on her third Forester so I thought it might be good to go with some other brand. She really likes the Ascent.

It looks like the Atlas and Ascent have 1 vote each and the Pilot has ½ vote.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Don't tell her the Pilot is closely related to the Odyssey ;)
    abacomike said:

I wonder how much a barrel of oil will jump in price when the market opens tomorrow. My guess is $15.00+. That would put it at over $73.00 a barrel.

I filled up two cars yesterday, one with RUG @ $2.39, one with PUG @ $2.99. So far prices haven’t changed. In fact for RUG prices have come down a little.

I don’t expect that to last so I’m gassing the rest of the fleet tomorrow.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

abacomike said:

I filled up two cars yesterday, one with RUG @ $2.39, one with PUG @ $2.99. So far prices haven’t changed. In fact for RUG prices have come down a little.

I don’t expect that to last so I’m gassing the rest of the fleet tomorrow.
    I filled up the Outback yesterday - I think it was $2.70/gal for midgrade.

Looks like I may have timed that just right.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Hadn't Ford moved a lot of production out of the UAW's US area?

It was a mistake when UAW was given part ownership of GM and was allowed to continue the stranglehold on BIG 3 production within the US. This morning the radio show talked about average folks are paying over 20% of their healthcare costs: UAW workers are paying 3%, and complaining about it.

For the UAW to demand even more now takes chutzpah to overlook that bond holders, including many mutual funds, got nothing on GM bonds when the original company dissolved as UAW got ownership in the new company.

The UAW also has had some problems about the management--I recall recently a large sum of cash was found in the Canton MI home of one of the big wigs. Corruption always affects those at the top of these pyramids and that applies to unions.

As to the closed plants, IIRC an electric truck company is supported for buying Lordstown. The negotiation offerings by GM have been publicized after the UAW went out complaining they weren't given enough when involved in part ownership of the new GM and having been kept as a union strangling the company. Honda, toyota, don't have that problem at their plants within the US, do they? GM offered $8000 each as as bonus for signing?

An article I read says that GM workers have a compensation package worth $63/hr. While Toyota, Honda and other foreign car makers only have to pay $50/hr.

I’m sure the UAW guys work hard but maybe they should look at all the McDonalds workers who finally got $15. A company that goes out of business or automates doesn’t pay anything.