Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited September 2019
    Mine will happen just as soon as I find something that excites me enough to pull the trigger. By definition it will need to happen by the end of December.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I got a shopping date with my daughter to go pick out something for my wife.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Congrats Q!
    Crap, I filled the XF up last Thursday night, CEL came on Friday. Last time, a couple of months ago, had the code read, it was the Evap system read. But, I was hoping it was simply I didn't tighten the gas cap a full three clicks; and indeed the CEL extinguished a couple of days later. So, again hoping gas cap, which I also inspected, seems OK, but now when I start the car, the RPMs jump up to ~3k and then fall back to normal idle. Don't know if that's related...

So, if it's Evap system, that'll probably be ~$800+, rear signal (used part) ~$200. Plus six year maintenance in December, do I want to invest in the beauty? I'll figure it out after Caribbean Cruise, hoping that Mike is still working on proper weather...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    It could be deteriorated rubber: either the seal on the cap or a hose, etc. pitching fits. Yours is not an old car at that age, but they do start to remind you they're machines.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

It could be deteriorated rubber: either the seal on the cap or a hose, etc. pitching fits. Yours is not an old car at that age, but they do start to remind you they're machines.

Aye, with age comes aches... Not an issue (hopefully), I just think back to keeping the Lexus alive for a few too many years and a few too many $$$.
    First world problems.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Things aren’t going well for my wife’s job hunting. She applied for unemployment and received a letter today saying that they determined she was fired due to “deliberate misconduct...”. She’s a mess. She’s applying for jobs, but is finding out she was making in the higher side of the pay scale in our area for her profession and experience. So we’ve got 7ish weeks of her PTO and then our income gets cut by about 40%.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    nyccarguy said:

Things aren’t going well for my wife’s job hunting. She applied for unemployment and received a letter today saying that they determined she was fired due to “deliberate misconduct...”. She’s a mess. She’s applying for jobs, but is finding out she was making in the higher side of the pay scale in our area for her profession and experience. So we’ve got 7ish weeks of her PTO and then our income gets cut by about 40%.

Have you consulted a lawyer?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

nyccarguy said:

Can she appeal that decision? I'm not familiar with unemployment law in CT.

May be worth looking into an employment attorney since something doesn't smell right based on what you're telling us.
    edited September 2019
    Also we were just here, as you know, and a similar pay hit. Hang tough and feel free to PM if you want to chat.
  • mb_enthusiastmb_enthusiast Member Posts: 232
    Is she a nurse?
    My stable: 2019 Audi Q8, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG, and 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500W4Found new homes: 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2011 Mercedes-Benz R350 BlueTEC, and 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8Illinois real estate broker and commercial property manager
    that sucks Bradd. did sound like a weird situation. Maybe someone up the food chain screwed up, and pinned the blame on her? Also makes it hard to look since even if it was bogus, still has the record. So might have to eat the paycut to get back into action.

Things aren’t going well for my wife’s job hunting. She applied for unemployment and received a letter today saying that they determined she was fired due to “deliberate misconduct

Is she a nurse?

No. She’s a physical therapist. Thanks for listening guys. It really means a lot. I know she’ll be OK, but it is so hard to see the person that your world revolves around be in such an awful state of mind. She’s doing a good job at forcing herself out of bed every day. This is nothing compared to what @mb_enthusiast is going through with his dad or @qbrozen ‘s parents both dying so close.

I think our next step is to consult a lawyer. I fear it might be frivolous. The letter from the state says she was discharged for “willful misconduct.” In the attached sheet, it says “Wilful misconduct means deliberate misconduct in willful disregard of the employer’s interest, or a single knowing violation of a reasonable and uniformly enforced rule or policy of the employer, when reasonably applied, provided such violation is not a result of the employee’s incompetence.”

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    nyccarguy said:

Things aren’t going well for my wife’s job hunting. She applied for unemployment and received a letter today saying that they determined she was fired due to “deliberate misconduct

Is she a nurse?

No. She’s a physical therapist. Thanks for listening guys. It really means a lot. I know she’ll be OK, but it is so hard to see the person that your world revolves around be in such an awful state of mind. She’s doing a good job at forcing herself out of bed every day. This is nothing compared to what @mb_enthusiast is going through with his dad or @qbrozen ‘s parents both dying so close.

I think our next step is to consult a lawyer. I fear it might be frivolous. The letter from the state says she was discharged for “willful misconduct.” In the attached sheet, it says “Wilful misconduct means deliberate misconduct in willful disregard of the employer’s interest, or a single knowing violation of a reasonable and uniformly enforced rule or policy of the employer, when reasonably applied, provided such violation is not a result of the employee’s incompetence.”
    Not a lawyer, but I'm sure a competent one could focus on the words "deliberate" and "willful".

As I believe you explained it, it was human error, not deliberate. It's not like your wife said "I'm going to take care of this patient, despite what the chart says".

And, it's also possible that the wording is such to frighten former staff from pursuing legal recourse.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    nyccarguy said:

Is she a nurse?

It sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me, typical cya. I wish the best for your wife and family.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

nyccarguy said:

At least consult with one. I don't mean it in this way, but, from what you describe, this fall's squarely in the category of "employee's incompetence," therefore willful misconduct does not apply. Willful assumes intent, whereas "incompetence" = "human error." There's no reason not to own such a mistake, she just needs to not internalize it as though it somehow defines her or her ability to move forward.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Have you consulted a lawyer?
    She has consulted with a lawyer. The guy was very empathetic to her situation & told her that he doesn’t think it would be worth it to sue because the hospital has lawyers on retainer and has endless resources. She’s going to call him tomorrow and inquire about unemployment.

xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

At least consult with one. I don't mean it in this way, but, from what you describe, this fall's squarely in the category of "employee's incompetence," therefore willful misconduct does not apply. Willful assumes intent, whereas "incompetence" = "human error." There's no reason not to own such a mistake, she just needs to not internalize it as though it somehow defines her or her ability to move forward.
    Believe me. I’ve been telling her that for the last 2 1/2 weeks. One moment doesn’t define her. I’ve told her to look at the thousands of people she’s helped over the years. I told her they can take away her job, but not her degree & not her experience.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    And not those she has helped make their lives better. She can hold her head high and know she has made a positive experience for those she’s touched.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

When I was in the ICU a couple years ago, the Physical Therapist on my case was the only one who got me up out of bed and moving again after two weeks of being bedridden. I credit them with getting me back to the point I could walk out of the hospital on my own.

I’m sure your wife has many patients with similar experiences. Make sure she remembers that.

sadly, the 100's you go above and beyond to help or save don't count. Just the one that might make someone up the chain look bad or complain to the hospital.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    1. Redact all personal/identifying information from your notes and write a book about trying to provide quality and continuity of healthcare in a world which rewards dreck.
    2. If writing about your profession hasn't blunted your passion then start your own PT practice. (Because you're not going to make any money on that book.)
    3. I highly support building the "I love me" wall for all good soldiers in healthcare. Include every award and degree.

Don't forget to add your anger management completion certificate. I'd definitely hang that one on the wall if ever I complete it. :@
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • BillingsgateBillingsgate Member Posts: 2
    We had 5 and anyways planning to buy another one once the resources are available.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ New York car guy, sorry to hear about all the trouble with your wife’s having to find another job I know this all too well, it’s good she’s getting out of bed and doing what she has to do everyday! Glad your wife is not letting a job define her who she is and all the people she’s helped over the years. I’m glad she consulted with a lawyer to, as you know always here for you your wife anyone else in this group who is a phone call away if they need someone to talk to seriously guys. Everyone enjoy the day and make the best of it. By the way not selling the Thunderbird thought about it would be foolish and I would be happy with anything new just doesn’t get driven as much as I like it is what it is.
    I didn’t like dealing with the unemployment when I had to for the six months what a nightmare and all the hell they put you through, and for me the technology to use was even accessible so I couldn’t go I just went for the meetings to show that I was looking for work ha ha. And they’re always so miserable and rude over here at least. My man be thankful you have a job people but that’s on them being cranky and miserable. Just look at the department of motor vehicle they usually all miserable for some reason.
    @ stick guy when is the shopping day with your daughter look at cars for the wife?
    @qb Nice on the upgrades for the equinox, glad to hear of the 2.4 isn’t all that bad you would think from what you hear over the Internet it’s horrible, I’ve never been in one of those to experience it always like to experience things for myself. I’m sure like all of you in here due to uncle based on what you hear or read on the Internet. But glad the toner is arriving later this week to as well, $300 is cheap for transport not bad. I had paid a couple years back a little more than that to ship my Thunderbird from upstate New York might’ve been 500.
    @qb what’s going on with the old car that you have?
    Thanks to all who have reached out to me here and privately. I greatly appreciate it!

@qb what’s going on with the old car that you have?

it's just sitting there waiting for life to slow down a little.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Need to update your signature, @qbrozen!
    Bradd, my college roomie is a PT, works with handicapped children. Much respect for the profession, as well as all healthcare (police, fire, etc.). No doubt she's made a difference in people's lives and will continue to do so.

I was downsized in the mid 90's, took a while (I changed careers, retrained), but bounced back to bigger and better things.

So, good thoughts to your wife and family!

@qb sounds good, hopefully soon enough life will slow down just a little too can have some time for your car.
    @ New York car guy you are welcome.
    @ Laura starter, agreed have much respect for police firefighters first other responders doctors physical therapist all those people.

Need to update your signature, @qbrozen!

Thanks. Done. I am disappointed to learn that I have purchased just car 49. I thought I bought #50 this past weekend. :(

Get back out there and buy a hooptie!
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    5 cars now?! We're struggling to juggle the driveway and garage for the 4 we have, which I hope is finally coming to an end in 2 weeks.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    In Beverly Hills Cop II, a young Chris Rock plays the part of a valet at the famed Playboy Mansion. As Axel pulls up in the cement mixer he's driving, Chris says:

"Check this out. I get ten dollars for cars. I get twenty dollars for limos. What the hell is this?"

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    nyccarguy said:

Sorry to hear about your wife’s job situation.

Was there a sign on the door or on the patient’s bed stating that they were to be at bed rest? If not, there is blame to be shared. The patient also should have been informed that they were at bed rest...

Just sayin...
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I'm happy to go back to two shortly, Elantra's days are numbered.

Speaking of which, I'm driving the Elantra this week as I have the Enclave packed to the gills for stuff that I'm taking to the campground. Unit is being delivered on Thursday afternoon. Heading down there mid day to sign for it and then taking off Friday to start setting stuff up.

I want to build a nice set of stairs and a fire pit, grab two mattresses for the loft, hang TVs, then be back home for 5 to load up again and bring the wife and kids down. Wife really wanted to be there Friday, but she is launching a new platform this week at work and can't break away.

So it looks to be a busy few days!! Weather looks great Sat and Sun so want to get some beach time in too.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited September 2019
    You could save a lot of time and money by just skipping the televisions.... It is a campground/retreat home, right? ;) Stock up on board games, cards, etc. for those rainy/cold days, and lots of beach and sports equipment for those that are not!

Either way, enjoy your time! It will be busy, but also good memories.
    Good luck. Curious, since the campground is seasonal, does that mean you can’t get to work the home once they shut Down? Or is it the facilities only closed?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    The ATS is getting some rustproofing touched up so I am at my dealer group’s flagship facility. One of the dealers here is a Toyota franchise. I took a walk out back and saw their inventory of Tacoma frames waiting for installation. Just 8 here today but in the past I’ve seen as many as 16.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Good thing wasn’t a unibody!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    pensfan83 said:

5 cars now?! We're struggling to juggle the driveway and garage for the 4 we have, which I hope is finally coming to an end in 2 weeks.

I saw that Monte Carlo SS again today. I'll have to stop and take a picture, next time

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

xwesx said:

You could save a lot of time and money by just skipping the televisions.... It is a campground/retreat home, right? ;) Stock up on board games, cards, etc. for those rainy/cold days, and lots of beach and sports equipment for those that are not!

Either way, enjoy your time! It will be busy, but also good memories.

TV's are easy! The mounts are already installed, however I do see your point!

I really gotta move so I can add cars. I just don’t have parking space that doesn’t block the garage, and I hate to have to jockey cars around. Plus I hate parking outside.

Basically I need a bigger garage!

stickguy said:

Good luck. Curious, since the campground is seasonal, does that mean you can’t get to work the home once they shut Down? Or is it the facilities only closed?

Thanks!!
    It runs from April to November. The pools close on Labor day, everything else is open.

We intend to do a sunroom next year, they told us we can work that off season if desired. They don't allow you to stay over in the off season nor provide any water service.

Thanks. So you need to winterize it.