Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited. power locks,windows, low beams, running lights, dash lights not

PatricPatric Member Posts: 2
edited August 2019 in Jeep
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited. power locks,windows, low beams, running lights, dash lights A/C compressor not functioning. I have a 2003 for a parts car that recently threw a valve. Everything works in it... Trying to find out what could take out so many functions.

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Is there ANYTHING electrical working?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    edited September 2019
    When troubleshooting a car with multiple failures, the best approach is to pick one of them and figure it out. Then only if necessary move onto another issue. The headlights are contolled by the body computer and it commands relays in the underhood power distribution center. There are separate fuses for the high beams (#3) and the low beams (#15) and they both should be hot at all times. Beyond that most of the testing is done with the assistance of a capable scan tool. The first step is to see if the relays can be controlled without the body computer by using commands from the scan tool. Depending on that result then the testing would concentrate on the under hood fuse block and the lamps themselves if the headlights don't turn on. Or if the headlights do work with the scan tool then testing would be done at the body computer and the multifunction switch inputs to it.

One note, the door locks depend on the body computer as the primary controller. You could choose to investigate that first just as easily however trying to swap parts from one car to the other as a test routine is not advisable. Depending on the different vehicle options you could end up worse off than you are right now.