Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the rest of my list is in this category.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/luxury-compact-suvs

so my top 3 options, all finished #2 on their respective lists.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    stickguy said:

well, I know I will not be sending the outback review to my wife. Not if they put in on the wagon list!

Probably a wise move...you know best. But, the Audi Allroad is the equivalent, and the Outback was positioned to be a wagon, and in the past the Forester was the SUV model. It wouldn't bother me if I were buying....but, I like the handling and lower center of gravity of a "real car" or wagon, an SUV is made more for hauling than driving.......IMHO.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited September 2019
    I can't copy it exactly but I got put off by this Mazda ad when I first saw it in todays newspaper:
    2019 MAZDA3 Sport GX
    155 hp, 150 lb-ft torque, Skyactiv-G 2.0 L 4-cylinder engine
    5 Up to 6.6 L/100 km highway*
    WEEKLY FINANCE OFFER
    $79 @ 1.49%
    It ends up looking like a Mazda

At first glance, (the bold print was huge letters) it looked like they were selling a Mazda 3 for $79,149!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Talking about mid-size SUVs. I found this list interesting.....Top 3 are HyundKIAS, Ascent is #6;
    TOP MID SIZE SUVs
    I notice the scoring is close though....probably can go more by preference than the list.

The link takes me to a screen full of articles. Which one is it?
    Should be this one....
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/midsize-suvs
    Thanks. Amazing how some of those SUVs have a $20k difference between base and loaded models. Can’t imagine needing $20k of extra stuff.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

“Oldfarmer will like that The KIA Soul is number 1 on the small SUV list:”
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/subcompact-

I can’t see comparing a Soul with a Mini Cooper. The Soul is pure utility while the Mini is a performance car. The review is right that the Soul is not a super handling car but I don’t think that matters to it’s primary buyers.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

the rest of my list is in this category.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/luxury-compact-suvs

so my top 3 options, all finished #2 on their respective lists.

btw....why not a Forester?

I can’t see comparing a Soul with a Mini Cooper. The Soul is pure utility while the Mini is a performance car. The review is right that the Soul is not a super handling car but I don’t think that matters to it’s primary buyers.

They rate them on overall value....5 different criterion. They are close, 8.4 and 7.9, The Soul won its points on safety, Cooper on performance....but, I think the real difference is the top half of the list and the bottom half...you still have to judge what is important to you.

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409

Steelers have been kidding themselves for a little while, now.....hanging onto Big Ben a little too long instead of drafting his successor.

Bengals did the same thing with Dalton. We could have drafted Lamar Jackson. WE didn’t. Bengals have waisted so much draft capital that we could have fielded a good team with the ones Bengals could have drafted, but didn’t.

At least the REDs have one of the best starting rotations in the NL set up for next year, and a couple of young sluggers to build around (Aquino and Suarez).

We? Are you an owner or are you in management?
    Both...I pay their salaries since I buy the tickets!
    Ok so it's not "We" it's "They".
    If you are a sports fan, "We" is correct.
    Her sister has a Forester. So that probably comes into play. But mostly it is not "fancy" enough for her I don't think. Though I suppose when we stop at the dealer to look at the OB, can show her the new design Forester. But no hot rod engine is an issue.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

Those articles are garbage. They are supposedly a compilation of reviews from a number of unnamed sources. So you can make them come out however you want depending upon what sources you choose. All their "full reviews" are shockingly superficial.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

This was my ride today while the ATS was being serviced:

Aside from the all-black interior I was extremely impressed. Fortunately there are better colors on offer. I could see myself in one of these at some point.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    abacomike said:

According to news reports, next year (2020 NFL season), the Dolphins already have 3 1st round draft choices and an available 100 million dollar salary cap. In 2021, they have 4 more 1st round picks. But they admit this year will be most unfortunate for fans. TELL ME ABOUT IT!🤪😜😂

@abacomike, weren’t your Dolphins tickets free? If so, hard to gripe about a teams performance if you got in free. At least, it would for me. B)
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    edited September 2019
    stickguy said:

Her sister has a Forester. So that probably comes into play. But mostly it is not "fancy" enough for her I don't think. Though I suppose when we stop at the dealer to look at the OB, can show her the new design Forester. But no hot rod engine is an issue.

Wow, I hate to point this out, but you sure got yourself a high maintenance wife. B) Just kidding, of course. Most wives are high maintenance. 😄
    nice XT4. could work for us, but I just don't see me buying a caddy. can't hurt to look though.

Tesla must ship their cars by truck instead of rail. Going across the Texas Panhandle and New Mexico today, I saw no fewer than 11 truckloads of them (looked to be mostly Model 3’s) on I-40 heading east. And, that’s just in about 5 hours on the highway.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    thebean said:

abacomike said:

According to news reports, next year (2020 NFL season), the Dolphins already have 3 1st round draft choices and an available 100 million dollar salary cap. In 2021, they have 4 more 1st round picks. But they admit this year will be most unfortunate for fans. TELL ME ABOUT IT!🤪😜😂

@abacomike, weren’t your Dolphins tickets free? If so, hard to gripe about a teams performance if you got in free. At least, it would for me. B)
    I gripe about everything! 🤪😜😝😗🤣😛😀😅😋

2021 Genesis G90

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Speaking of tickets, I scored a crazy cheap deal on facebook for the 10/20 Giants game. We got 2nd row of the balcony at about the 40-yd line. Its the Toyota party box or some such thing. And VIP parking. $400 for the pair.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    qbrozen said:

Speaking of tickets, I scored a crazy cheap deal on facebook for the 10/20 Giants game. We got 2nd row of the balcony at about the 40-yd line. Its the Toyota party box or some such thing. And VIP parking. $400 for the pair.

Awesome, what time should I pick you up :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    ab348 said:

Aside from the all-black interior I was extremely impressed. Fortunately there are better colors on offer. I could see myself in one of these at some point.

To be honest. I totally agree with you, ab! I like that candy apple red with a cognac interior. I am open to getting a Cadillac SUV next year along with a host of other possibilities. I am drooling just thinking about shopping for a new set of wheels. It’s been almost 2 years since I shopped for a new vehicle.

I am sweating just thinking about it. I am going to have FUN FUN FUN TIL DADDY TAKES THE T-BIRD AWAY FUN! 😀😛😝😀🤪😜

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:

Those articles are garbage. They are supposedly a compilation of reviews from a number of unnamed sources. So you can make them come out however you want depending upon what sources you choose. All their "full reviews" are shockingly superficial.
    I respectfully disagree. I think the reviews are helpful. You don't have to weed out dozens of cars to get an idea what car may appeal to you. Cars that are in the top 6 are probably all fine, over 6 and I would be extra careful. But, these reviews are just a start....once I narrowed down my choice I would want to read more detailed reviews.

Also, there may be choices someone may not even be aware of. This may give you some new ideas. If you weren't sure about a car like a KIA Soul, this may give you more confidence to check it out more carefully.

abacomike said:

ab348 said:

I am sweating just thinking about it. I am going to have FUN FUN FUN TIL DADDY TAKES THE T-BIRD AWAY FUN! 😀😛😝😀🤪😜

FUN FUN FUN TIL Mercedes TAKES THE S Class AWAY

driver100 said:

I respectfully disagree. I think the reviews are helpful. You don't have to weed out dozens of cars to get an idea what car may appeal to you. Cars that are in the top 6 are probably all fine, over 6 and I would be extra careful. But, these reviews are just a start....once I narrowed down my choice I would want to read more detailed reviews.

Also, there may be choices someone may not even be aware of. This may give you some new ideas. If you weren't sure about a car like a KIA Soul, this may give you more confidence to check it out more carefully.

You are making the fatal assumption that the reviews they chose are actually credible and valid. We have no idea whether they are from the Audi Owners Appreciation Society or the BMW PR department. We just don't know. It's all just noise.

it is good though to see options you might not be considering, and some areas to look into closer.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

well, I know I will not be sending the outback review to my wife. Not if they put in on the wagon list!

Probably a wise move...you know best. But, the Audi Allroad is the equivalent, and the Outback was positioned to be a wagon, and in the past the Forester was the SUV model. It wouldn't bother me if I were buying....but, I like the handling and lower center of gravity of a "real car" or wagon, an SUV is made more for hauling than driving.......IMHO.
    The Outback has no strengths in "low center of gravity" or driving handling categories. Its strengths lie elsewhere, like high ride height and ground clearance. It's a true SUV, that simply looks like a wagon (as do many CUV's at least).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    houdini2 said:

Steelers have been kidding themselves for a little while, now.....hanging onto Big Ben a little too long instead of drafting his successor.

Bengals did the same thing with Dalton. We could have drafted Lamar Jackson. WE didn’t. Bengals have waisted so much draft capital that we could have fielded a good team with the ones Bengals could have drafted, but didn’t.

At least the REDs have one of the best starting rotations in the NL set up for next year, and a couple of young sluggers to build around (Aquino and Suarez).

We? Are you an owner or are you in management?
    Both...I pay their salaries since I buy the tickets!
    Ok so it's not "We" it's "They".
    If you are a sports fan, "We" is correct.
    As I tell my sister; they won, we sat on our buts and watched.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

You are making the fatal assumption that the reviews they chose are actually credible and valid. We have no idea whether they are from the Audi Owners Appreciation Society or the BMW PR department. We just don't know. It's all just noise.
    Too much conspiracy thinking. It is what it is, just general information, might be useful - might not. My thinking is every bit of information helps me make a better choice.

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

The Outback has no strengths in "low center of gravity" or driving handling categories. Its strengths lie elsewhere, like high ride height and ground clearance. It's a true SUV, that simply looks like a wagon (as do many CUV's at least).
    I like cornering in a car or wagon......more than in an SUV. I go on a loop to get onto a highway most days, I like the low center of gravity in those situations.

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Too much conspiracy thinking. It is what it is, just general information, might be useful - might not. My thinking is every bit of information helps me make a better choice.
    Misinformation helps in making bad choices too.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    ab348 said:

I haven't seen an XT4 up close and personal but from the rear photo it looks pretty good. Is the XT4 a tweener or is it a true midsize or compact vehicle? As I get older a traditional sedan makes less sense than an SUV. All the women in life drive SUVs and swear they will never return to a traditional sedan, unless perhaps a pure EV.
    My wife will never go back to a sedan for her DD.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

Nor mine.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Nor mine.
    Mine would prefer a sedan, if it had large windows and high seating like her GLK. She liked her A4, but few cars have high enough seats, and large windows.

edited September 2019
    bwia said:

I haven't seen an XT4 up close and personal but from the rear photo it looks pretty good. Is the XT4 a tweener or is it a true midsize or compact vehicle? As I get older a traditional sedan makes less sense than an SUV. All the women in life drive SUVs and swear they will never return to a traditional sedan, unless perhaps a pure EV.

According to the Cadillac site it is 181" long, virtually identical length to my ATS so I think that makes it a compact. Both have a 109" wheelbase. Interestingly the site says the ATS is 71" wide but claims this is 83.5" wide - I think that is a typo. It certainly didn't seem overly wide to me.

I really did enjoy it. Just the right height for getting in and out without putting my bad knee through torture. Plenty of room inside. Decent cargo space - I bought an emergency generator I've had my eye on that was on sale at a great price while I had it yesterday just because I knew I could get it home without a hassle. Fit right in the back no problem. A vehicle like this certainly has appeal.

Almost as big as a CX5. Not tiny. I’ll put it on my list!

83” would have to include mirrors. That’s wider than a ram PU

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I really did enjoy it. Just the right height for getting in and out without putting my bad knee through torture. Plenty of room inside. Decent cargo space - I bought an emergency generator I've had my eye on that was on sale at a great price while I had it yesterday just because I knew I could get it home without a hassle. Fit right in the back no problem. A vehicle like this certainly has appeal.

Yup, some of my thinking Porsche Macan vs. Jag XE or the like. Two more years for the boy in college, hatch utility would come in handy at times.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I love the flexibility a big box offers. We recently bought a gas grill and bathroom vanity, and each box slid right in the back of the RDX. Never would have fit in the TLX. Not quite as convenient as the daughters BF’s Silverado. We used that to return them after Assembly!

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Misinformation helps in making bad choices too.
    Not sure there is any actual "misinformation". Some information may be of value, some might not apply....most comments might be worth checking on further.

BTW....XT6, comes in at #7 in its class:

1. 2019 BMW X1

The 2019 BMW X1 is one of the highest-ranking luxury subcompact SUVs. It has the well-rounded performance you would expect from a BMW, highlighted by ... Read full review »

SCORE

2. Audi Q3

The redesigned 2019 Audi Q3 finishes near the top of our luxury subcompact SUV rankings. This small crossover is the total package: It's enjoyable ... Read full review »

SCORE

3. 2020 Volvo XC40

The 2020 Volvo XC40 ranks near the top of the luxury subcompact SUV class. It boasts powerful engine choices, an upscale interior, and ample ... Read full review »

SCORE

4. Lexus UX

The all-new 2019 Lexus UX has a stylish interior along with an excellent predicted reliability rating. However, its less athletic than many rivals, and its ... Read full review »

SCORE

5.Land Rover Range Rover Evoque

The 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque offers a premium cabin, a refined ride, and exceptional off-road ability. However, its subpar predicted reliability rating ... Read full review »

SCORE

5. BMW X2

The 2019 BMW X2 can't match the engaging performance of other sporty crossovers, and it has a cramped back seat. For these reasons, this ... Read full review »

SCORE

7. 2020 Cadillac XT4
    Zip
    The 2020 Cadillac XT4 places in the bottom half of the luxury subcompact SUV class. The XT4 has lots of room, but it falls ... Read full review »

SCORE

FULL STORY https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/luxury-subcompact-suvs

Reposting it doesn't make it any more valid.

ab348 said:

Reposting it doesn't make it any more valid.

I didn't post the compact luxury car survey the first time.
    Besides, some people may find some easy to use, useful overview information on the site.

For example, these tips may provide some ideas of what to investigate further;
    Pros & Cons
    Outstanding rear-seat legroom
    Lots of cargo space behind rear seats
    Awkward infotainment controls
    Fair amount of road and engine noise
    Mixed reviews on steering and brake systems

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    Yep, some type of obsession.

Face it 348, you're never going to get the last word. Many have gone before you.

Many have tried......few have succeeded.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    What I've learned is that negative reviews against GM products are often some kind of media conspiracy, and that product updates (corrections) are made because journalists object, not because the design was actually flawed.
    ab348 said:

Is that what they used to call the XTS? I found those to be nice. I thought they discontinued those.

Hey, how did you come out from the latest hurricane to brush your area?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I haven't been happier to be single in a long time, after reading that.

Still have another day in the Escalade ESV, that these things are seen as reasonable vehicles for the Stepford set in mcmansion orchards/rural areas is mind-boggling.
    bwia said:

driver100 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I like cornering in a car or wagon......more than in an SUV. I go on a loop to get onto a highway most days, I like the low center of gravity in those situations.
    If you like cornering in a SUV try the VW Atlas. VWs have a firm but not harsh ride which, to me, includes some impressive handling. Also can be got with a third seat.

Well, it’s started. The cheapest station in my area just bumped the price of regular by 10 cents.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

fintail said:

I haven't been happier to be single in a long time, after reading that.

Still have another day in the Escalade ESV, that these things are seen as reasonable vehicles for the Stepford set in mcmansion orchards/rural areas is mind-boggling.

bwia said:

The problem with being single is that there’s no one to tell you about all your faults. You go through life thinking you’re perfect. A wife will cure you of that delusion. :s
    "If lovin' me is wrong, I don't wanna be right..."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.