Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Opinions sought re: what sale price I can get for my car.

unpackhumunpackhum Member Posts: 12
edited September 2019 in Acura
I have a 2009 TL Tech AWD.
62.5k miles. Perfect maintenance.
In very good/excellent physical appearance.

Interested in opinions as to what price I can get for this.

Planning to advertise on Craigslist and perhaps eBay, although suggestions on where to advertise are welcome.

Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• unpackhumunpackhum Member Posts: 12
    Out of curiosity and to know a rock bottom price, I went to the Acura dealer where I get it serviced, who offered $6741.

CarMax offered $7000 but I screwed that one up - I'd been to Acura first and put the offer in the empty trunk and forgot about it, then went to CarMax.
    I'm sure the CarMax estimator opened the trunk and then it would make sense that he'd read the offer of $6741, so that could have affected his offer to want to just go slightly over Acura.
    One issue that may affect the price - at least as far as resellers like the Acura dealer and CarMax: I've had a few mild fenderbenders.

Acura used CarFax which stated "Accident reported"

2010 - "Damage Report"
    "Accident reported
    - Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision
    - Involving rear impact with another motor vehicle
    - Damage to rear
    - Functional damage reported
    - Minor damage reported
    - Airbags did not deploy."

A young guy moving slowly rear ended me at a light.
    There was no functional damage - I drove it around for weeks until the insurance claim was paid.
    The rear bumper cover was replaced.

(Unfortunately, I no longer have the body shop receipt/damage evaluation and they are no longer in business).

It also states "Damage reported on 02/05/2014 and 08/09/2019."

In 2014 the car was hit in the rear by the side while parked in a parking lot. I wasn't in it.
    Rear bumper cover and Reflector and A/M Tail lamp assy replaced. I got a copy of the body shop receipt yesterday so I can show it to potential buyers who question it - $1593.16 total cost.

About 6 weeks ago I was at a storage facility and backing up slowly managed to back into the edge of one of the concrete bunker type buildings.
    No damage to the building - I pointed it out to the manager and my insurance company spoke to her. Rear bumper cover replaced yet again. Body shop receipt shows $831.25 total cost.

CarMax report only mentioned the 2010 incident, but also stated "A lot of paint" or something like that.

When my original warranty was about to expire, I reported everything possible. There was a small area on the roof that had some pitting.
    I asked the shop manager several times about having that touched up. Finally he said "We're going to paint it".

I found out he intended to paint the entire car. I assumed he had a deal with a buddy who owned a paint shop and they were taking care of each other, as it was totally unnecessary to repaint the whole car.
    However, I had no complaint, as a fresh paint job after 4 years would make it look brand new again (although it was in very good shape).
    I don't think I had any idea it would affect selling the car in the future, although I'd intended to keep the car forever, so that wouldn't have bothered me if someone had pointed it out.

Anyway, all of the above are things pointed out to me by Acura and by CarMax as affecting the valuation.
    I intend to sell to a private party.

So - What do you guys think I should ask for it, given the pix above and also the info above which people accessing CarFax will see?

PS - Perfect maintenance, which is noted each time in the Maintenance booklet.
    edited September 2019

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Plug it into Carvana and Vroom. Normally, you’d be looking at $7500-$8k trade and possibly $9k from carmax/carvana/vroom. As you said, the history hurts it. $7k is actually pretty strong, IMHO. Maybe you’ll get lucky and get $8k from one of the online places, which I would suggest jumping on.

Private party is tough to evaluate because you never know how folks will feel about the repaint. I probably wouldn’t touch it, personally, but somebody else might think as you did that it is a good thing. You could try $9995 and see what happens.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I agree with @qbrozen . You have a car that is 10 years old (looks fantastic BTW). $7K is good money. Try Carvana & Vroom, although I suspect their offer won't be as strong with the hit on the CarFax. Are you trading it in on another Acura? See if you can get the UCM to meet CarMax's price.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited September 2019
    nyccarguy said:

I agree with @qbrozen . You have a car that is 10 years old (looks fantastic BTW). $7K is good money. Try Carvana & Vroom, although I suspect their offer won't be as strong with the hit on the CarFax. Are you trading it in on another Acura? See if you can get the UCM to meet CarMax's price.

"Are you trading it in on another Acura?"
    No. Not getting another car of any kind.

What is UCM?
    X Car Manager?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    unpackhum said:

nyccarguy said:

"Are you trading it in on another Acura?"
    No. Not getting another car of any kind.

What is UCM?

Used Car Manager. Disregard, if you aren’t trading

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    UCM - Used Car Manager

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited September 2019
    Thanks all for the feedback.

I made a mistake in my description - it's FWD, not AWD.

Carvana offers $6485.
    Vroom closed now.

As far as the repaint - that Service Manager at the dealership is gone, but the Service Rep. I've used since I got the car was there and knows the story and that the repaint didn't involve an accident.
    I could refer anyone who questions the repaint to give him a call or go over and speak to him in person.

If the 3 I've been to are offering $6485 - $6741 - $7000 - how much are they planning to sell it for?
    Wouldn't they want to double the price? Or minimally ask 10k for a 50% profit over their purchase price?
    The answer to this will give me a good idea of what I can expect to get from a private party.
    Miraculously, the AWD and FWD values are almost identical.

How much would they sell it for? Theoretically, they’d pay you $7k, ask $10,995, and take $10k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited September 2019
    qbrozen said:

Miraculously, the AWD and FWD values are almost identical.

How much would they sell it for? Theoretically, they’d pay you $7k, ask $10,995, and take $10k.

Thank you.

Vroom offered $6600.

So a 10k bottom (theoretically). I'd been thinking of that as the minimum I'll accept. Now I'll see what happens when I advertise it and how much over that I can (hopefully) get.

I'm in NV. Carvana took off 10% for the accidents, but then added back 10% due to NV.

I'm also coming up with:

KBB 7309 - 8352 Trade-in
    KBB 9118 - 10541 Range/ 9830 Private Party Value (so right at your $10k figure)

BlackBook Retail - Clean = $12,625
    Trade in - Clean = $9120
    DID NOT ASK ABOUT ACCIDENTS SO I'M FIGURING 10% LESS, but then as mentioned Carvana added back the 10% due to my location so perhaps $12,625 is obtainable (???).
    So I'm thinking of floating $13,100 obo for a starting shot.

Those 2 sites are calculating 1.4 to 1.5 x their Trade-In price for retail, same as your estimates.

Never any harm in trying. Too bad none of those books will actually cut a check for their estimates.