Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    it made that many. good odds it can handle another 5 months. For that price, you could sell some parts off of it and turn a profit. And for a winter beater for that few miles, an AT really should not matter.

a normally running car for $700, that isn't rusted out? Grab it, even if you just want to clean it up and flip it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

There was - I think the last year for the previous generation was 2018 - was on the slower side and had about 80-90 miles of range. My BIL has one and @tifighter used to have one. The new 2020 is supposed to have 200+ miles of range.

The Soul EV was good for what it was intended for - a city runabout. It felt solid enough at lease end. And because the range was short, there was never any question about its usage. The 2020 model, with the extended range, ironically brings more scrutiny because the extended range highlights the holes in the available charger coverage for it. Roll you eyes all you guys want over my like of Tesla, but they were early in getting the infrastructure out, and that helps make their cars a stronger all-usage proposition. IMHO, of course ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    At $700 I guarantee that headgasket is blown away. Note, the ad didn’t say “runs well.”
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    The i3 is RWD, which is a major plus for me. The only downside is the possibility of being mistaken for a tree-hugger. Maybe a bumper sticker along the lines of "My Other Cars have a Carbon Footprint the Size of Texas" would help.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The handling of the i3 is almost comical it’s so fun. You do not expect it to drive the way it does.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    kyfdx said:

Walked by a car that could be my winter beater, today.
    Anyone think that could get me 500 miles/month?

Really depends on whether it is suffering head gasket issues. There are some tell tale signs of that, so if you know what you're looking for in that regard, it's almost hard to go wrong at that price.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I was down to around 3/32's on all four corners and Goodyear had this incredible deal where I bought four and got $60 off at installation plus another $100 Visa gift card one needed to mail in or do it online. Getting $160 off made it a very compelling offer when I was thinking about doing it. It was supposed to be $25 off at installation but the day I had them installed, that rebate went up by $40. So I got an even better deal than originally thought. Think I could've gone another 6 months or so but figured why not, since I might just enjoy the car more with better rubber. Do feel a difference in ride and braking and would've gotten run flats again if they were part of the deal. The sales guy had these same Goodyear Eagle GT's on his own vehicle and seemed to like them. I was going for a different tire when I walked in there the fist time but he convinced me to get what I got.
    Got them over at the Goodyear store where I was stationed at the time but that afternoon, I was told I'm to report to my old office my next work day. First time I've ever bought tires from a Goodyear store as we usually use Tires Plus as they have so many more locations down here.
    But did like the run flats and like these new ones to. Just as long as I always have air in them, I'm happy!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I haven't replaced a set of tires since my 2006 Avalon. That was a 3/36 lease but the OEM Bridgestones were shot by 21K. I put Goodyear Eagle GTs on that wore OK but really hurt the ride of that car.

For me there is only one tire I'll buy. Michelin. So happy both my cars have them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

We had to replace the tires on the X1 earlier this year - made it about 23k miles on the OEM Pirelli RFTs before they were down to 3/32 front and 4/32 rear. Really not impressive performance at all.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    @Sandman6472 How many miles did you get out of the Bridgestones?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

We had to replace the tires on the X1 earlier this year - made it about 23k miles on the OEM Pirelli RFTs before they were down to 3/32 front and 4/32 rear. Really not impressive performance at all.

We picked up a nail with about 28K on the X3. Unrepairable. We were about 70%-80% worn, so I just got a set. Old ones were Goodyears, new ones are Pirellis.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I got 54K satisfactory miles out of a set of Continental Control Contact Plus tires, so went ahead and put them on again on the TSX.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I liked Continentals the few times I had them.

one of the only brands I ever had that wore out really prematurely was Michelin's. totally toast on my Odyssey by 30k, the replacements (Yokos I think) were still deep tread at about 75K when I sold it.

RDX Michelins made it to about 42K before they got replaced.

I had 50K on the Michelin Symmetry's on my 04 MGM. I'd wager they would have gone easily another 10, maybe more.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Lots of variation in rubber compounds used greatly affects tire wear. I had a set of Michelin x-Ice2 winters for my 2011 Regal that were pretty much done after 3 winters and maybe 15000 miles - due to the rubber compound they used on those. Conversely I bought a set of Michelin Defenders to replace the OE Goodyear Eagles on my '02 Intrigue which were pretty used up at 30000 miles and those Michelins wore like iron. Performance tires often do not last very long due to a sticky rubber compound. The Bridgestone performance run-flats used on my ATS are reported to last only 10-15000 miles.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Speaking of X-Ice, I felt that my XI3 wore very quickly on my wife's Forester over the three winters we used them. About 15,000 miles, she felt they were not performing as well by the end of last winter, so I resolved to replace them. They were slightly over 8/32".

Since I had a bit of a tire replacement backup this summer (van, Q7, and Forester all needed their all-seasons replaced), I decided to defer costs a bit. I bought new rubber for the van, figured I could run the Q7 part of the summer on the old tires, and just ran the XI3 through the summer on the wife's car with the plan to put new winter tires on her stock 17" rims (previously used for the summer tread) come September.

Things went a little crazy though, because I didn't replace the Q7 tires at all, ended up buying a new set of tires for that Focus I bought for a friend of mine, and the XI3 tires are still at 8/32" tread after a summer of use! I was amazed by that. So, now I'm just going to use them next summer as well. The Q7 didn't see much use this summer due to much biking and use of the Focus/Forester that my friend has/had. The summer tires are totally shot now (2/32" to 3/32" depth), so that will be first on the list of expenses next spring.

I put Yokohama IceGuard iG51v on my wife's car for her new winter rubber. 215/60R17 size, the smallest available in that tire. I am very happy with the performance on my Q7.... used for three winters now and still at 10/32" tread. Great snow traction, solid ice traction, and exceptional longevity.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Milestone:

I wasn't watching mileage, so this one caught me off guard and I just quickly snapped the shot in motion so that I didn't risk missing the even oughts.
    Nice! Chilly day up there! (Well, I'm sure not for you)

tjc78 said:

Nice! Chilly day up there! (Well, I'm sure not for you)

yeah, the weather isn't too bad on the temperature front. It is raining heavily though, which is unusual. Should be snow.

Sometimes the rubber compound just gets harder due to age, weather, temperature cycles, and/or bad design, causing poor traction even if there’s plenty of tread. That happened with the Yokohama tires that were on my G37, which were not even that old in terms of age.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    At $15k off, I am finding this incredibly tempting. Still a lot of money though.

https://www.mcdonaldvolvocars.com/commercial-new/Volvo/2019-Volvo-V90+Cross+Country-8e54277a0a0e0aea6a8caec576b72b10.htm

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited October 2019
    Nice! C’mon I can’t be the only Volvo owner on CCBA!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    breld said:

At $15k off, I am finding this incredibly tempting. Still a lot of money though.

https://www.mcdonaldvolvocars.com/commercial-new/Volvo/2019-Volvo-V90+Cross+Country-8e54277a0a0e0aea6a8caec576b72b10.htm

Looks like the $15K off is a leasing incentive according to their website

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Think I got around 35K on the Bridgestone run flats. Probably could've gotten another 5K or so miles but when I found out about the rebate on the Goodyears, decided to just have them swapped out. And at first as looking at a different tire, were the Assurance All Season ones. But my sales guy said these were better tires and had a bigger rebate at the time. Figured he knew his stuff so took his advice. The other sales person overheard the conversation and said he also got the Eagle GT's for his vehicle and really liked them. They had a Kelly brand tire I was also looking at but they told me not to even bother, guess it's their lower brand tire for folks who want as cheap as possible. Tires Plus also has their economy tire, some sort of Primewell tire that my guy always told me to look at Bridgestone, so I listened.
    Since it's not something one buys that often, figured I'd get something good to last me until I end up in something else. Getting the alignment checked on Tuesday morning and am betting they'll come back telling me it's out again. Had it done about 2 weeks ago, and it runs out on 10/19/19, so giving them another wack at it. We'll see in a few months if I'll buy another 3 year policy as it's transferable to another vehicle only once.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

that is an expensive wagon. even with the discount. Nice looking, though way too dark inside.

And doesn't JPP still have a C30? That was him, right? Or did he never get a replacement for the rotted out one?

nyccarguy said:

breld said:

Looks like the $15K off is a leasing incentive according to their website
    Now I see that - not that I'd be opposed to leasing it.

Funny - I asked the salesperson exactly that question and he didn't know.

stickguy said:

that is an expensive wagon. even with the discount. Nice looking, though way too dark inside.

And doesn't JPP still have a C30? That was him, right? Or did he never get a replacement for the rotted out one?

Yes, JPP has his C30 as a companion to the Tacoma.

Spoke with an owner of a Hyundai Ioniq today and he was quite happy with it overall. Getting about 45 mpg which isn't really bad. Once one gets over the weird looks of it, think it could be a very good vehicle. Will need to try one a few times before I make an informed decision. And with my next search, think I'll need multiple test drives of my short list, honestly. It won't be as easy as with the Golf. I really wasn't in the market then, wink wink, but after the first test drive, I was hooked. Decided to think it over because I had only owned it about 367 or so days. A week after the first test drive, went back, it was now my 3rd time at the VW store, and once they accepted Carmax's trade-in offer, did I make the deal. That second test drive really won me over. They had already agreed to swap out those awful stock alloys for ones from a different model. So once, they agreed to the extra that Carmax gave me, we shook on it and made the deal.
    Also helped that we had gotten the A3 a week earlier and I had driven it a few times. Kind of cemented the deal in my head but hated to trade-in the Tucson so early. After some long soul searching, decided that illogical as it was, getting the Golf was a good thing and moved on and never have really looked back as it was, and still is, the right decision.

Unless it is an emergency (replacing a wreck or some such) I don't understand why people don't spend more time test driving before deciding. Avoid a lot of mistakes that way, and besides, it is a whole lotta fun!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    stickguy said:

Unless it is an emergency (replacing a wreck or some such) I don't understand why people don't spend more time test driving before deciding. Avoid a lot of mistakes that way, and besides, it is a whole lotta fun!

I see lots of folks shopping for numbers rather than a car. And, lots of folks pick cars based on the deal, only to regret it later.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I feel like you’re talking directly to me.
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I see lots of folks shopping for numbers rather than a car. And, lots of folks pick cars based on the deal, only to regret it later.
    The vehicles I’ve bought because I really wanted them and liked them on their merits have been the ones I’ve generally been the happiest with rather than the ones I’ve bought/leased at a price point.

My Saab, Prelude, 328xi, & Infiniti. My wife’s X3, and 2 Pilots.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

you need to at least come up with a list of options you like. once you have narrowed it down to acceptable choices, then pick by deal if you want.

Right now I have a "short" list of 5 CUVs. some different flavors, but pretty much comparable. I could be happy with any of them, so buying on price (especially if was going to lease) would be fine.

The advice I give to the public at large wouldn't apply to this group, simply based on the volume of transactions we execute.

You'd be surprised at what people cross shop.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

No I wouldn't... B)

Michaell said:

The advice I give to the public at large wouldn't apply to this group, simply based on the volume of transactions we execute.

I see you guys every now and again tell someone that there is no possible way they are cross shopping every single permutation of Kia Stinger & Toyota Tacoma at the same time.

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

I see you guys every now and again tell someone that there is no possible way they are cross shopping every single permutation of Kia Stinger & Toyota Tacoma at the same time.
    Um, yeah.

And, we have no problem asking folks to refine their requests, if they are too broad.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Ky, here is an option I had not thought of before. Small, good MPG, hatch and a stick. Should also last darned near forever. This one is even in my favorite color!

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Scion/2004-Scion-xA-cherry-hill-nj-33c7c0790a0d0cc74e332a43ea80cfcc.htm

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

The vehicles I’ve bought because I really wanted them and liked them on their merits have been the ones I’ve generally been the happiest with rather than the ones I’ve bought/leased at a price point.

I noticed the Subaru wasn’t on the list. I don’t recall the Saab. When did you have that?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    stickguy said:

I liked Continentals the few times I had them.

one of the only brands I ever had that wore out really prematurely was Michelin's. totally toast on my Odyssey by 30k, the replacements (Yokos I think) were still deep tread at about 75K when I sold it.

RDX Michelins made it to about 42K before they got replaced.

I put Michelin Premier on my wife’s GL350 - even with rotations every 5K miles they were toast at 14k miles. Michelin was very good standing up with their warranty though.
    no warranty on the original tires though. Sneaky that way.

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I noticed the Subaru wasn’t on the list. I don’t recall the Saab. When did you have that?
    The Subaru would be one of the cars on the list I didn't particularly enjoy that I bought at a price point. Nice car. Well built. Just slower than slow.

In December of 1999, I leased a 2000 Saab 9-3 for 3 years. Silver/Black Base Model with an Automatic. Loved everything about it. It was my 1st European car.

stickguy said:

Ky, here is an option I had not thought of before. Small, good MPG, hatch and a stick. Should also last darned near forever. This one is even in my favorite color!

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Scion/2004-Scion-xA-cherry-hill-nj-33c7c0790a0d0cc74e332a43ea80cfcc.htm

That would definitely work.

Seems a little pricey for a base model of that age/mileage, but it is at a new car dealer, so....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

nyccarguy said:

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

The Subaru would be one of the cars on the list I didn't particularly enjoy that I bought at a price point. Nice car. Well built. Just slower than slow.

In December of 1999, I leased a 2000 Saab 9-3 for 3 years. Silver/Black Base Model with an Automatic. Loved everything about it. It was my 1st European car.
    I didn't like my one Subaru, either

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

well, I was not saying the price was good, and that if of course just asking. Not the type of car you normally want to buy at a new car dealer either.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    @qbrozen
    Still in the hunt

Any auction values for 2018 Audi Q7 prestige 3.0 with 7k miles?

Got roped into taking "the girls" out winter coat shopping (and in a shocking twist, the wife actually found a winter and fall coat she liked at Lands end). The price was I got to stop at a couple dealers that we were going past. Just a brief attempt at a complaint, but did not last long! No drives, just some showroom sitting.

Got to see a Tiguan finally. Loaded SEL premium. MSRP over $39K. Ouch. Very nice, but failed the front seat comfort test. I found the cushion too short, and not enough tilt to make up for it. But the wife rejected it outright because the bolsters were too tight for her. So, that is out. Our daughter though loved it, and mentioned wanting to trade the Jetta for one once she gets a new job closer to home (next spring hopefully).

The main stop was Subaru. Conveniently, they had a nice limited XT sitting in the showroom. Cinnamon pearl. I really liked the color. She didn't. But good news, she liked the car OK (style) and really found the interior nice. I was impressed. Would be even better to be able to turn the giant iPad screen on! But the style, materials, and feature content was top notch. Great seats too, and I was hooked by the thigh extender. Out was perfect for me, in was perfect for the wife. big selling point. Lots of cargo room too, and back seat was huge. Had plenty of gadgets, including heated steering wheel and rear seats.

so, I think she might have been expecting to dismiss out of hand, but instead was agreeable to go back at some point to try one. The kid seems to think it is a long shot, but will have to see how the wife likes driving it, and using the tech. I would have her drive that back to back with an RDX to compare.

if it drives as nice as the 3.6 I drove last year, I could be sold!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    The boy who cried, "punch:" After work yesterday, drove to local Mazda dealer to look at a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport hatchback; Gun Metal Blue over black. ~86k miles It had been waxed, but a lot of residue left, making it look more scratched than I think it is, it'll have to be washed. Alloys somewhat road rashed, but Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires with good tread; nice.

Sales dude introduced himself, non-commission, transparent, family owned dealership; high-volume turnover, gave me a bottle of water. Asked would I be trading the Jag, I said possibly for the 3 and a big bag of cash.... That I was looking for a second car, actually for my son the college junior. He asked did I want a test drive, at first I said, no, not in this miserable traffic, but he had a route... So:

Wow, how much fun that drive was! Car felt feather light, turned when I asked it too and did not stray from its line. 2.5 liter 4, nice get up and go, must be a nice power to weight ratio. Comfy cloth driver seat, seat cushion not too short. Everything I played with seemed to work. And, with windows up and radio off, road noise/wind wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Asked for a crap road, which was on the tour, suspension well handled the craters. Wonder how the thing felt new!

Tomorrow the boy and I will go together, hopefully out before kickoff of the Pats game. Currently dealer is asking $7991, with two keys. But, $495 doc fee, 6.25% MA tax and $135 to title and register (and who knows if they'll try for other scam fees, VIN etching is only $200? I'll take two!). If we decide to throw an offer, I'm going to try for OTD $8k max, but would really see if I can push for $7500 OTD. So, any thoughts here?

If this one doesn't work, there are more to be had, significantly more sedans than HBs. If not a 3, I'm also going to look at '10-'12 Ford Fusions, Hyundai Sonatas, Subies (but expensive here in New England). He "needs" a car by EOM as his ride to/from work ends before Halloween.

Of course, he's a bit mad at me for not giving him the XF...

Keeping the ex informed as she'll be paying half, she asked can't you find something safe and reliable with closer to 50k miles for under $10k? Sure, a car that enjoyed some time hanging out with Katrina...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Oh, yeah. After drive, there was a father/daughter looking at a black VW Golf Wagon/All track; 126k miles. I almost asked if he had a large net worth, joked about the 2 for 1 sale. He said great, we'll go 50/50 but I told him not my plan, he buys I get free. He smiled.

Daughter hops into the 3; I look at her and sternly say, "Get out of my car!" Sales dude called me this am, 3 is still available, hope other dad/daughter look elsewhere! Or, buy the VDub, they're customers of my dude, too.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

nyccarguy said:

That's telling... Are you sure you can hold out 24 months with the Tacoma? :D
    mjfloyd1 said:

I put Michelin Premier on my wife’s GL350 - even with rotations every 5K miles they were toast at 14k miles. Michelin was very good standing up with their warranty though.

I've never claimed a tire warranty. I've never had a tire that I felt comfortable driving on once it got anywhere close to the wear bars.