Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    So not gonna be able to lease a Mustang GT, turns out for doesn’t lease them only the cohost one that’s with three or four dealers told me this past week since I last checked in here last Tuesday.
    Was addicting to try ring that Dodge charger help me with my cousin last Monday a week from today, still tempting sound so sick for stock car. Just sitting in the passenger seat was enough for me I love it, but kind of does a little too much gear and think you could feel it. Same with the Ford Ranger with a stove later on that night if you lay downshift it’s like too many years and putting these days.
    @breld go for it do you know do you wanna buy that Volvo and we’re all here to support you. What cars leaving the fleet week end of the week ha ha Ha.
    @ Stick guy, my son going to a few dealers this past Saturday to do some car looking with the wife and daughter. See how you have to work that in there with their coat shopping awesome.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    too big a barge for my taste, but I gotta say, this is a stunning car.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2012-porsche-panamera-4dr_hatchback_4s-used-wp0ab2a70cl061776.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    Beautiful car.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    stickguy said:

too big a barge for my taste, but I gotta say, this is a stunning car.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2012-porsche-panamera-4dr_hatchback_4s-used-wp0ab2a70cl061776.html

Nice car but never a fan of those light carpets. They get dirty just looking at them.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    floor mats. Easy and cheap fix.

I still want a Panamera. Sigh.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    It''s a polarizing design. Interior is very nicely done though not very space efficient for the size of the thing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ stick guy, sounds like a lovely car you posted from one of your local used car dealers very nice.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    qbrozen said:

floor mats. Easy and cheap fix.

I still want a Panamera. Sigh.

At least burn some rubber off the Charger's tires first.

The Panamera can be #50

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

wonder which car is faster?

You posted a V8, I'd wager it would edge out the Charger.

not sure which trips the lights first, but I know the Porsche will keep going longer. and most likely, you won't get scared off as soon!

edited October 2019
    Hell, the Panamera V6 can give my R/T a very tight race.

But I ain’t gettin a Panamera for $10k, so the Charger easily wins the value column.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

plus, you can take the Charger to Jiffy Lube if you feel like it!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    stickguy said:

That makes a big deal in all seriousness. I’ve said this before, but my parents SUVs each cost around the same amount of money. Dad’s Yukon gets the oil change/tire rotation for $70 or $80 with coupon. $70-$80 at the Porsche service department gets you a tissue when you sneeze.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

if we decide to splurge and max out the budget on something nice, that is why it won't be a Porsche (especially since that would have to be a used one). I assume a base Macan costs just as much to maintain as a "real" porsche does.

I suppose the cheap cousin Q5 would be a reasonable alternative, if you got the right trim level!

stickguy said:

Oh, no no no. I wouldn’t even trust Jiffy Lube (or similar places) With my lawn mower.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Taking the Elantra back to the dealer today.

Called last night to make a 5:30 appointment to drop it off. Woman on the phone asked if I was buying another Hyundai. I said "no", she then said "well we prefer you do this during the day, but if that's the only time you have that's cool with us"

HMM... look up my file lady. I've bought 5 cars since 2009 with your dealer group. Oh and sidebar, most likely a sixth next fall (Enclave #3).

Anyway... looking over the last three years with the Elantra. For $210 / month with $250 OOP I can't say a bad thing about it. Cheap transportation through the crazy expensive child care years.

Car didn't have a single thing go wrong. The tech worked great, good AC/Heat, and heated seats you could cook an egg on. Zero rattles after three years and drives just like it did when it was new. I was pretty hard on the little guy and it never got under 29 MPG.

All in all a very pleasant ownership experience and I'd recommend one to anyone.

tjc78 said:

Taking the Elantra back to the dealer today.

Called last night to make a 5:30 appointment to drop it off. Woman on the phone asked if I was buying another Hyundai. I said "no", she then said "well we prefer you do this during the day, but if that's the only time you have that's cool with us"

HMM... look up my file lady. I've bought 5 cars since 2009 with your dealer group. Oh and sidebar, most likely a sixth next fall (Enclave #3).

Anyway... looking over the last three years with the Elantra. For $210 / month with $250 OOP I can't say a bad thing about it. Cheap transportation through the crazy expensive child care years.

Car didn't have a single thing go wrong. The tech worked great, good AC/Heat, and heated seats you could cook an egg on. Zero rattles after three years and drives just like it did when it was new. I was pretty hard on the little guy and it never got under 29 MPG.

All in all a very pleasant ownership experience and I'd recommend one to anyone.

Always good to hear about a pleasant ownership (leasorship) experience. While you didn't gush over the driving experience, it served you very well for the last 3 years. You & @stickguy seemed to have liked the value aspect. Very hard to argue with $210 per month for a brand spankin new car.

I always tell people there are deals like this out there if you are willing to work hard and negotiate. Every time I hear someone say they are "lookin for a cheap car" with a budget of less than $10K, I suggest leasing an Elantra, Civic, or Corolla. The excuse is always "I don't want to have payments." $210 per month comes out to a little over $7,500 for 3 years. So yes, you can plunk down $7-$10K on a good used car that you can drive "payment free" for the next 3 years. That used car is still going to depreciate, need maintenance, repairs, tires, brakes...

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

And a great buy as a slightly used car.

The next (current) generation to yours is even better all around too.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    $39 Groupon for two oil changes (within a year) at my locally owned shop. I need to take the Tahoe in there soon, as I think the one year is almost up. Free tire rotations at Discount Tire.
    The Prelude goes in Thursday for its annual state inspection. Only driven 2,300 miles since last year so it'll be exempt from emissions and shouldn't need much else hopefully.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    An absolutely great value, @tjc78 and it served it's purpose well.

As far as the lease return, it is interesting to hear that. I think Hyundai is like some other brands where accepting a lease return is not mandatory unless it is the dealer you originally leased from. I've heard horror stories of CJDR dealers being unwilling to ground returns. Sounds like they're annoyed but the lease return should take them 5 minutes - maybe you could even test drive something to make them feel better about it.
    I took mine back to the dealer TJC is talking about. I just showed up, no appointment. Took 5-10 minutes, no fuss. I did call prior to ask about logistics, and they told me to just bring it by whenever I felt like it.

Was not the dealer I bought it from. Wasn’t even the local guy I used for service!

That's great! A pleasant surprise.
    I don't suspect any problems, I think I just got a cranky person on the phone.

I could certainly understand if you came in on a Saturday afternoon, but anytime during a week day shouldn't be an issue!

@28firefighter
    Yes, it did serve it's purpose well.

The X1 is going to BMW on Friday for it's pre-return inspection. I'm not expecting anything but you never know.

Interestingly, BMWFS did warn me that the dealer could put up a stink about accepting the return because only the originating center has to take it. It would be a huge bummer if I had to drive this thing down to Portland.
    Good news: Water pipe noise seems to have disappeared on its own. I still plan to improve the way it’s attached to the joists in hopes of eliminating future issues.

Bad news: the Tahoe radio was popping something awful this afternoon, and as I pulled into the parking lot at work, it lost power briefly and a bunch of warning lights came on. Then, everything went back to normal before I could even see which lights illuminated. Going to check the battery connections when I get home, but if there’s nothing obvious there, it will probably be a mechanic visit.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790

The X1 is going to BMW on Friday for it's pre-return inspection. I'm not expecting anything but you never know.

Interestingly, BMWFS did warn me that the dealer could put up a stink about accepting the return because only the originating center has to take it. It would be a huge bummer if I had to drive this thing down to Portland.

That seems ridiculous! What, do they expect people to just remain tethered in one place for three years? I would say, if they don't want to take it, that's fine. You can just leave it in the lot with the keys inside. Your lease period is done; it is their problem now!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Best lease return ever was my 2006 Avalon. The bank came and picked it up at my job!

I'm sure I've told this before but someone came running into my office thinking it was being re-possessed or stolen. LOL.

xwesx said:

That seems ridiculous! What, do they expect people to just remain tethered in one place for three years? I would say, if they don't want to take it, that's fine. You can just leave it in the lot with the keys inside. Your lease period is done; it is their problem now!
    I suspect it could also have to do with whether space is available on the main or overflow lot.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Could be worse... it could have been like the lease on my 2011 Regal where the leasing dealer had no record of the car at all. I even had the title which is something they were supposed to have kept. I never made the connection as it was just stuck in a file with all the other paperwork from the time of the acquisition. In retrospect I should have just kept my mouth shut until they finally called. I suspect GM Financial or whoever wrote the lease would have eventually rattled their chain.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

pensfan83 said:

xwesx said:

I suspect it could also have to do with whether space is available on the main or overflow lot.
    This, I believe, is the underlying issue. Also, BMW dealers have to buy a certain number or percentage of lease returns to resell as CPO units or otherwise use one of a limited number of "passes" to reject a car and ship it to auction, so this might have something to do with it. Though I did just read somewhere that a BMW lease returned to the non-originating dealer can be rejected without using one of their "passes" - maybe @roadburner can confirm?
    That sounds like a BMWFS issue, that should not be of any concern to the customer

stickguy said:

That sounds like a BMWFS issue, that should not be of any concern to the customer

To most people no. But I like to understand the drivers behind these things since I tend to operate on the fringe of what most dealers would consider friendly to their bottom line. B)
    Ok good news. My wife found a 2nd job working at a hospital that is about a 25 minute drive from our house. She will see homecare patients a few days per week and then work at this new hospital a few days a week.

She did get a flat tire today on her way for some pre employment testing (W2, drug testing...). With 33K miles on the (rather expensive) OEM Continentals, do I go ahead and replace all four?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    nyccarguy said:

Ok good news. My wife found a 2nd job working at a hospital that is about a 25 minute drive from our house. She will see homecare patients a few days per week and then work at this new hospital a few days a week.

She did get a flat tire today on her way for some pre employment testing (W2, drug testing...). With 33K miles on the (rather expensive) OEM Continentals, do I go ahead and replace all four?

Depends on how worn they are.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    edited October 2019
    nyccarguy said:

If the flat requires replacement, then you are likely into the mileage where the tread difference will cause stress in the AWD system. If these are OEM tires, they are probably 2/3 or better through their usable life anyway.

Short answer: Yes, you should probably plan on replacement of the set.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Congrats to your wife, @nyccarguy. Very happy to hear she is landing back on her feet.

Regarding the tires, my guess is you can't possibly have more than 3-4/32 remaining on them all around. You're into the point of replacing all 4 if they cannot repair.
    agreed about tires. Hopefully it can be plugged.

Update: it looks like the negative battery cable on the Tahoe is corroded, but that may or may not be the only issue. Bad grounds and a bad main fuse also seem to be common problems on the GMT900. I’m going to call my local shop tomorrow to see whether that’s something they can check out.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    stickguy said:

if we decide to splurge and max out the budget on something nice, that is why it won't be a Porsche (especially since that would have to be a used one). I assume a base Macan costs just as much to maintain as a "real" porsche does.

I suppose the cheap cousin Q5 would be a reasonable alternative, if you got the right trim level!

I’m getting ready to find out...hoping for the best.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

So the Elantra is gone ... but not without drama.

They “grounded” it with the wrong miles. 8408 instead of 18408.

I refused to sign the paperwork until it’s corrected. Apparently this is kind of a process as Hyundai has to undo the return and reprocess.

They told me it doesn’t matter... yeah sure.

I have all the paperwork and it appears that the dealer is buying the car anyway as they put their plate frames on it and the warranty sticker on the window.

Guy handling the return said they love clean low mileage returns like this.

@new York car guy. Nice on the wife finding an arcane job! Very happy for her!!! And yes I would replace. Those. Tires. I’m the pilot but don’t get the OEM ones get some other brand of your choosing.
    @tJC that’s funny on the lease return of your 2006 Toyota Avalon, and the bank came to get it at your job, and someone thought it was getting repossessed. Lol
    nyccarguy said:

Great news on the job front.

I’d probably be looking at a set or at least two matching Continentals.

@ everyone above talking about the Hyundai lease returns, or my mom returned her 2003 Santa Fe, they came and got it from the house with our truck. They even came to the house two weeks prior to do the end of lease inspection. We just had it sit in the driveway for two weeks and she already had bought a 2006 same one just in black 2003 was read my favorite color on any car she’s had Tuesday nice bright red.