Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    carnaught said:

abacomike said:

Tomorrow morning, right after rush hour, I am driving up the coast to my brothers place in Ponte Vedra (just north of St. Augustine and just south of Jacksonville) for a long weekend to celebrate our birthday together. It's 301 miles door-to-door.

I take the Turnpike north to Ft. Pierce and then I pick up I-95 the rest of the way and exit at County Road 210 East to Nocatee. I usually stop for a quick hamburger halfway up there.

He is taking me to Ruth's Cris for dinner Thursday night - our birthday.

What's nice about driving up there in the S450 is the Distronic Driver's Assistance system which steers inside the lane and changes lanes autonomically. It makes for a more relaxing trip. I turn on the massage feature to soothe my aching back. The only problem I am going to have is heavy rains for the first 150+ miles.

Always nice to get away for awhile. 😛😜🤪

@abacomike, Happy Birthday Mike, in advance! Have a safe trip.
    Thanks carnaught - 75 years old - no spring chicken, that's for sure.

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    stickguy said:

Opinions needed.

What do the experts think of the 2008-12 Chevy Malibu 2.4L as basic transportation? Is it reliable? Are there any weak points? I’ve read about oil burning but not much else.

Can't help more than you probably already know (when in doubt, Google it) but I assume they are pretty solid and reliable. Maybe not the most exciting, but not what you are likely looking for!

maybe too rich for your blood, but I know you love your low mile hoopties, and this one qualifies. Should have a lot of life left in it!

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2012-chevrolet-malibu-ls-used-1g1za5eu2cf393815.html
    That’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’m already looking for my son’s next Uber car since the hand me down PT is an unknown quantity.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

Opinions needed.

What do the experts think of the 2008-12 Chevy Malibu 2.4L as basic transportation? Is it reliable? Are there any weak points? I’ve read about oil burning but not much else.

My sister had one, pretty decent basic transportation. She didn't have very many issues with it until it suddenly died on her at around 85k miles, but I think that had something to do with her daughter driving it into a bridge abutment. Other than that it was pretty reliable.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited October 2019
    abacomike said:

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

Tomorrow morning, right after rush hour, I am driving up the coast to my brothers place in Ponte Vedra (just north of St. Augustine and just south of Jacksonville) for a long weekend to celebrate our birthday together. It's 301 miles door-to-door.

I take the Turnpike north to Ft. Pierce and then I pick up I-95 the rest of the way and exit at County Road 210 East to Nocatee. I usually stop for a quick hamburger halfway up there.

What's nice about driving up there in the S450 is the Distronic Driver's Assistance system which steers inside the lane and changes lanes autonomically. It makes for a more relaxing trip. I turn on the massage feature to soothe my aching back. The only problem I am going to have is heavy rains for the first 150+ miles.

Add me to the pile of well wishes, happy B-day.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    stickguy said:

Opinions needed.

Can't help more than you probably already know (when in doubt, Google it) but I assume they are pretty solid and reliable. Maybe not the most exciting, but not what you are likely looking for!

maybe too rich for your blood, but I know you love your low mile hoopties, and this one qualifies. Should have a lot of life left in it!

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2012-chevrolet-malibu-ls-used-1g1za5eu2cf393815.html
    I had several of those as dealer loaners when my HHR was being serviced. I thought they were very nice, quiet, comfortable, solid. Power was ok, the 6 speed auto being very good. It would do an honest 30+ mpg on the highway. The LS is nice, but the LT, not much more expensive, and probably negligible now has some nice feature as ambient interior lighting, a little extra trim, etc. to dress it up.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Yes, I had a 08 HHR 2LT for a little over a year. It was a one owner, 11k mi, fully loaded. I liked it, my family, well not so. It gave way to a slightly larger and used 09 CRV EXL.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    edited October 2019
    You guys are probably right about the abuse flag!

I haven't heard many bad things about those Malibus. Should be solid transportation

Happy Birthday Mike!!!

Ruth's Chris... nothing wrong with that.

We are heading to NYC in a few weeks with another couple. Rented a nice 2 Bedroom AirBnB in Hell's Kitchen. I'm hoping that our friends are up for dinner at Keen's...

http://www.keens.com/

To
    Die
    For

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    tjc78 said:

Gotta be. It actually isn't marked for abuse, it says it was flagged as spam, which it obviously isn't.

I clicked one by accident recently when trying to quote but was able to retract it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    Happy Birthday @abacomike !

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    carnaught said:

bwia said:

I'm in the market for a new mattress and foundation. Some time ago there was much discussion about the Casper brand but I can't remember what the verdict was on that.

I'm planning to ship that mattress to my Caribbean home so I'm particularly interested in a supportive hybrid foam queen size warm-climate mattress, something not too warm or not too hot and most importantly it can be shipped in a box. I would appreciate your sleeping experience with Casper or any brand that comes in a box. Thanks!

Check out a Purple 2 mattress. It’s a hybrid mattress, firm but not too much so, and has cooling technology. The latter works for us in this heat zone.

Thanks @carnaught for that recommendation. That cooling technology is exactly what I am looking for. I will check it out at Macy's this week. Hugs (where are the emoticons when you need them.)

Opinions needed.

Had them for rentals a few times and really liked them. A very nice car compared to the 2 generations that preceded them. Like most GM cars you are better off getting one that is a few years into the run as most of the issues have been engineered out of them by then. I like the LT version as someone else noted. One of the ones I had as a rental was dark blue metallic with a light gray two-tone interior, looked sharp. The dash design on those was especially good.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    @abacomike
    Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday. One for each of you!

Don't fall asleep while driving with the car steering itself the way some Tesla drivers have!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited October 2019

bwia said:

I'm in the market for a new mattress and foundation. Some time ago there was much discussion about the Casper brand but I can't remember what the verdict was on that.

I'm planning to ship that mattress to my Caribbean home so I'm particularly interested in a supportive hybrid foam queen size warm-climate mattress, something not too warm or not too hot and most importantly it can be shipped in a box. I would appreciate your sleeping experience with Casper or any brand that comes in a box. Thanks!

Just make sure it’s something the bugs don’t like.

Say how have you weathered (no pun intended) all these storm raging through the Caribbean this year?
    @oldfarmer50, as to Atlantic storms, we were very lucky this year except for Abaco in the Bahamas. However, we had an early storm in July that caused severe flooding in Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados and Martinique. Global warming may not be real but one cannot deny the extreme heat and constant flooding being experienced in the southern caribbean.
    abacomike said:

carnaught said:

abacomike said:

Happy Birthday to Mike and his younger twin brother; and don't forget to take frequent breaks on your long trip. Enjoy!
    stickguy said:

seems innocuous. I know that I accidentally hit the report button sometimes (especially on a portable device) thanks to clunky fingers. usually catch it, but a few times I think it got submitted before I could. Then I felt bad.

Don't feel so bad, two weeks ago I too was flagged for an inoffensive post on the GM strike. :@
    Let's all congratulate Nobel prize winners for electric cars and more.

The 2019 Nobel Prize in Chemistry has been awarded to former MIT Lincoln Labs researcher John B. Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham and Akira Yoshino for the development of lithium-ion batteries.

The Nobel Committee said: ‘‘Lithium-ion batteries have revolutionized our lives and are used in everything from mobile phones to laptops and electric vehicles. Through their work, this year’s Chemistry Laureates have laid the foundation of a wireless, fossil fuel-free society.’’

Goodenough’s work on cobalt oxide was based on research done by Whittingham who created an early version of a lithium battery during the oil crisis of the 1970s. Yoshino, in turn drew, on Goodenough’s discovery and in 1985 created the first commercially successful lithium-ion battery.

read more at https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2019/10/09/nobel-prize-for-chemistry-awarded-scientists-for-development-lithium-ion-batteries/Bc3qr2o1yLfbN5KAGkYE3N/story.html
    I keep hoping that production of hydrogen for use as a fuel will soon become commercially viable so that we can move on from batteries to fuel cell vehicles.

“died on her at around 85k miles, but I think that had something to do with her daughter driving it into a bridge abutment.”

Probably a design defect. 😂

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The damage didn't buff right out?

edited October 2019
    ab348 said:

I keep hoping that production of hydrogen for use as a fuel will soon become commercially viable so that we can move on from batteries to fuel cell vehicles.

I’d like to see that too. I remember many years ago reading about that system in popular science and it seemed like a dream come true. They played it up as everyone having 1000hp cars with extreme range.

So far only Toyota has done serious research into FC cars. A local company Plug Power was supposed to be working with them but so far all they produce are fork lifts for non ventilated werehouses.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited October 2019
    stickguy said:

Opinions needed.

Oldfarmer, I noticed a neighbor has one of these;

The one down the street is cream color and it has black wheels. I like the looks, it is a 2012 to 14 Lincoln MKS. It looks solid and substantial, yet they probably depreciate like a used Lada. Reviews not spectacular, steering slow and pokey, not a great ride, instrument controls are hard to use, not much room for legs for the driver, cost about $50000 which was equivalent to a real luxury car, and a Ford taurus all equipped was a much better car for a lot less money.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

That picture reminds me just how much I can't stand all black wheels.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited October 2019
    tjc78 said:

I haven't heard many bad things about those Malibus. Should be solid transportation

Happy Birthday Mike!!!

We are heading to NYC in a few weeks with another couple. Rented a nice 2 Bedroom AirBnB in Hell's Kitchen. I'm hoping that our friends are up for dinner at Keen's...

To
    Die
    For

Looks like a very cool place, somewhat pricey but probably worth it. But...can’t get past the mutton for $62. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.

tjc78 said:

There are certain cars upon which black wheels look good. That is not one of those cars.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I need to understand how the hydrogen is generated before I get too excited about that source of energy for automobile propulsion. If it takes more energy to generate the hydrogen than the hydrogen can produce later (how could it be otherwise?), I don't see the point, beyond, as with electric cars, moving the pollution to a remote location, as opposed to eliminating it.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

So far only Toyota has done serious research into FC cars. A local company Plug Power was supposed to be working with them but so far all they produce are fork lifts for non ventilated werehouses.

Honda makes the Clarity.

https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-fuel-cell

I need to understand how the hydrogen is generated before I get too excited about that source of energy for automobile propulsion. If it takes more energy to generate the hydrogen than the hydrogen can produce later (how could it be otherwise?), I don't see the point, beyond, as with electric cars, moving the pollution to a remote location, as opposed to eliminating it.

How it gets generated is something way above my pay grade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production

carnaught said:

tjc78 said:

Happy Birthday Mike!!!

To
    Die
    For

Looks like a very cool place, somewhat pricey but probably worth it. But...can’t get past the mutton for $62. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.

The mutton is really, really good. Yes the place is pricey, it will run you easily $300 for two w/ tip.

It's around the corner from the Empire State Building, so that makes a nice before/after dinner experience.

ab348 said:

Buy hydrogen is not a fuel, it's a storage medium for energy. To get hydrogen one must either produce fossil fuels or break apart hydrogen from whatever its bonded to and you have to produce energy to do that.

Basically you are just adding another step to the process. I just dont see hydrogen being widely adopted unless forces on us.

To oversimplify it they produce electricity through a chemical process that bonds the hydrogen atom with oxygen creating water. They only problem is that while hydrogen is very abundant it is usually bonded with other elements like oxygen to create water. To create pure hydrogen one must apply energy to it to break apart the bond. Like electrolysis that will separate the water atoms into oxygen and hydrogen.

In the case of electrolysis all you are doing is adding electricity to something to get it out later. Like a battery.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
    DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
    CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21760] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement.

(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.

(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.

(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.

(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily when in a condition permitting safe operation.

(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on any shoulder of a highway, on any sidewalk, on any bicycle path within a highway, or along any crosswalk or bicycle path crossing, where the operation is not otherwise prohibited by this code or local ordinance.

(h) This section does not prohibit the operation of a transit bus on the shoulder of a state highway in conjunction with the implementation of a program authorized pursuant to Section 148.1 of the Streets and Highways Code on state highways within the areas served by the transit services of the Monterey-Salinas Transit District or the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 426, Sec. 2. (AB 946) Effective January 1, 2014.)

So basically it says "dont drive into oncoming traffic".
    I see it more as:

"ALWAYS DRIVE ON THE RIGHT, PASS LEFT, all the time you moron! ONLY exceptions as follows:

yadda yadda yadda.....

If your LLCing excuse isn't listed in this VC, the law just AIN'T on your side.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

ab348 said:

Buy hydrogen is not a fuel, it's a storage medium for energy. To get hydrogen one must either produce fossil fuels or break apart hydrogen from whatever its bonded to and you have to produce energy to do that.

Basically you are just adding another step to the process. I just dont see hydrogen being widely adopted unless forces on us.
    It's just a balance though. Balance the costs (not just financial but also environmental) of producing lithium-ion batteries or whatever new medium comes down the pike in the future versus the costs of producing hydrogen. Of course the one advantage hydrogen has over batteries, at least for now, is the lack of recharging time. You would just fill up your electrically-powered car at a hydrogen station. That, plus not having to deal with Elon. :sunglasses:

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Happy Birthday, Mike. 75 is the new 60. I hope.
    Casino's probably going to give you a gift!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Was there a price given for that Malibu? It looks in suspiciously good shape, even the upholstery and the interior door panels look cleaner than on my 2017.

tjc78 said:

I like the black wheels on this Lincoln, makes it look real bad ---!
    You don't expect them on a refined car like a Lincoln, so it stands out. This looks like the kind of car you can take anywhere, it looks strong, and it is the kind of car you don't have to baby, probably looks even more bad boy with a few parking lot dents. This car says "What, Me Worry?" It is like, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks....this is my tough guy car.

Maybe I should write the ad copy?

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Opinions needed.

Oldfarmer, I noticed a neighbor has one of these;

The one down the street is cream color and it has black wheels. I like the looks, it is a 2012 to 14 Lincoln MKS. It looks solid and substantial, yet they probably depreciate like a used Lada. Reviews not spectacular, steering slow and pokey, not a great ride, instrument controls are hard to use, not much room for legs for the driver, cost about $50000 which was equivalent to a real luxury car, and a Ford taurus all equipped was a much better car for a lot less money.

To me it all depends on why a car depreciates. If it’s that no one wants to drive a car that’s out of style, i’d buy that car. If it depreciates because it falls apart or needs expensive repairs, then no.

I figure that the Lincoln scores on both points.

tjc78 said:

Definitely not good on that Lincoln. I’ve seen a few sports cars that don’t look too bad but for most I don’t care for them. One of our posters had a truck with black wheels but they had polished silver inserts which looked pretty good.

ab348 said:

Honda makes the Clarity.

https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-fuel-cell
    Didn’t know that was actually on the market.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    driver100 said:

Was there a price given for that Malibu? It looks in suspiciously good shape, even the upholstery and the interior door panels look cleaner than on my 2017.

The one I posted? I think it was about $9,800

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited October 2019
    @oldfarmer50
    Somewhat a stripped model at 67000 miles. But well cared for based on Carfax. Was owned by city of Piqua for years and transferred there from 3rd to 4th owner. Then went to Covington Ohio, a small town, city for a short time.

https://www.smedleys.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Chevrolet-Malibu-LS-Vandalia-OH/3520307683
    asking $7999

@oldfarmer50
    Somewhat a stripped model at 67000 miles. But well cared for based on Carfax. Was owned by city of Piqua for years and transferred there from 3rd to 4th owner. Then went to Covington Ohio, a small town, city for a short time.

https://www.smedleys.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Chevrolet-Malibu-LS-Vandalia-OH/3520307683

I always shudder when I see “call for price”.

I use to think that multiple owners was a red flag but my Sebring had 3 previous owners. Each owned from 5-7 years so you figure they weren’t dumping a problem on the next guy. Now 4 owners in less than half the time? Hmmmmm.

good luck finding a lower mile unit than the one I scoped out for you!

edited October 2019

@oldfarmer50

I always shudder when I see “call for price”.

I use to think that multiple owners was a red flag but my Sebring had 3 previous owners. Each owned from 5-7 years so you figure they weren’t dumping a problem on the next guy. Now 4 owners in less than half the time? Hmmmmm.
    On autotrader.com they stated $7999 asking.
    I'd guess the car was used lightly in whatever city duty it had. It's older but possibly was an executive's car? Or used by motor pool. Low mileage as I search autotrader for comps. Car started out near @kyfdx territory near Cincy airport in KY.
    Did you look at the CarFax?

Here's an LT but its CarFax has been around a lot of different places. Military owned?

https://www.whiteallenchevy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-Chevrolet-Malibu-1LT-Dayton-OH/3488419373

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
    DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
    CHAPTER 3. Driving, Overtaking, and Passing [21650 - 21760] ( Chapter 3 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement.

(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.

(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.

(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.

(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily when in a condition permitting safe operation.

(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on any shoulder of a highway, on any sidewalk, on any bicycle path within a highway, or along any crosswalk or bicycle path crossing, where the operation is not otherwise prohibited by this code or local ordinance.

(h) This section does not prohibit the operation of a transit bus on the shoulder of a state highway in conjunction with the implementation of a program authorized pursuant to Section 148.1 of the Streets and Highways Code on state highways within the areas served by the transit services of the Monterey-Salinas Transit District or the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 426, Sec. 2. (AB 946) Effective January 1, 2014.)

So basically it says "dont drive into oncoming traffic".
    I see it more as:

"ALWAYS DRIVE ON THE RIGHT, PASS LEFT, all the time you moron! ONLY exceptions as follows:

yadda yadda yadda.....

If your LLCing excuse isn't listed in this VC, the law just AIN'T on your side.
    Really, resorting to name calling. Please read the law again, it states the right half, not in the far right lane. So if it is an 8 lane expressway (4 lanes each way) and I am in the far left lane I am still in the right half of the road. My interpretation is correct as one of the exceptions is for one way roads. The law you provided doesn't state keep right except to pass just to keep it on the right half of the road.

In short dont drive in the oncoming traffics lanes.

ab348 said:

ab348 said:

It's just a balance though. Balance the costs (not just financial but also environmental) of producing lithium-ion batteries or whatever new medium comes down the pike in the future versus the costs of producing hydrogen. Of course the one advantage hydrogen has over batteries, at least for now, is the lack of recharging time. You would just fill up your electrically-powered car at a hydrogen station. That, plus not having to deal with Elon. :sunglasses:
    I do believe that in the future it will be a mix of energy sources. However I do believe that it will be more a mix of fossil fuels and electric moving more and more towards electric as technology progresses. Hydrogen will likely be a minor player as it is difficult to transport and to store. It has a low volumetric energy density and is usually stored under high pressure or supercooled as a liquid. Plus remember the Hindenburg.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    From Pittsburgh... guy was wondering why there weren’t more black walnut husks on the ground given the size of the tree. His wife calls and says the car is making a funny noise and there’s a burning smell...
    Critters!
    better than rodents eating your wires. at least that you can clean out.

edited October 2019

Plus remember the Hindenburg.

Of course if the Hindenburg was filled with gasoline it would have gone up even quicker and hotter, so that may not be a compelling argument.

PF_Flyer said:

From Pittsburgh... guy was wondering why there weren’t more black walnut husks on the ground given the size of the tree. His wife calls and says the car is making a funny noise and there’s a burning smell...
    Critters!

Some poor squirrel is going to go hungry this winter!