Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I am on my second white car and first metallic white. I think the color suits the car. I think it was something like a $1500 option.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    edited October 2019

Off with the old

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    For the many GTI fans I know we have here, some things I didn't know until now.

https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1213

No car has a claim to fame on a day to celebrate all things plaid quite like the Volkswagen Golf GTI – thanks to one woman’s pioneering choices that over the past four decades have become a symbol of driving enthusiasts worldwide.

The Volkswagen Golf GTI’s debut in 1976 caused a sensation. Even though only a few details distinguished it visually from the original Golf, Volkswagen—influenced by one of the company’s first female designers—succeeded in transforming the compact car into an affordable sports car for the masses and capturing the mood of the era.

Gunhild Liljequist—a porcelain painter and chocolatier candy-box designer by trade—was hired on to Volkswagen’s Germany-based Department of Fabrics and Colors in Wolfsburg in 1964 when she was just 28. Her work focused on paint hues, trims and interior detailing, so when the first Golf GTI came into production in the 1970s, she was tasked with designing various elements of its interior from a sporting angle. Liljequist’s genius centered on giving the GTI two distinct, but simple, textile elements: a tartan seat pattern and a golf ball-style gear knob.

“Black was sporty, but I also wanted color and quality,” Liljequist said. “I took a lot of inspiration from my travels around Great Britain and I was always taken by high-quality fabrics with checked patterns … you could say that there is an element of British sportiness in the GTI.”

And the golf ball gear knob?

“That was a completely spontaneous idea!” Liljequist said. “I just expressed my sporting and golf associations out loud: ‘how about a golf ball as the gear knob?’”

Although her ideas faced some resistance, the tartan seat pattern, now known as “Clark Plaid,” and golf ball knob would become an iconic part of the GTI.

For a woman who personally loved just black and white patterns, color illuminated Liljequist’s professional world throughout her 30-year career at Volkswagen. The 1960s to the 1980s were a highly creative and experimental time in car design, and Liljequist’s work helped to influence some of Volkswagen’s most iconic paint hues, trims and interior detailing, while designing some special models of her own.

Beyond the Golf GTI, her two most notable contributions to the car world was her 1987 limited edition ‘Etienne Aigner’ Mk1 Golf Cabriolet—a car design influenced by the luxury maker of handbags, luggage and various other leather accessories—and her discovery of an iridescent, pearl color that she applied to a car’s surface, using a transparent foil. The metallic quality of paint on modern cars today is in part the result of Liljuquist’s experimentation in paint and coloring. Liljuquist retired in 1991, but her legacy is literally stitched into the fabric of Volkswagen.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

On with the new. Plus a very high tech wheel alignment.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    those are cool looking treads. I like them. hopefully though it is a long, long time before I need to worry about SUV tires again.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    nyccarguy said:

Plus a very high tech wheel alignment.

LOL. I was using a similar-looking laser alignment system in my father's shop back in 1992. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    On vehicle dispositions, I haven't actually had all that many either. I will say, though, that I have never traded in a car.

I have lost two through crashes, one buyback, rest either private party or give away. I don't much feel like taking the time to count them all out. My guess is maybe ten.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Mixed news on the Tahoe. Mechanic was able to reproduce the problem, but thinks it’s something in the gauge cluster. Says there is a local place that does repairs, but said the guy has had mixed luck fixing them and recommends I wait until it gets worse. Not very confidence inspiring. I may see if there’s somewhere I can ship the cluster off for repair.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    @corvette - what exactly is the issue with the cluster?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    It went completely dead on me while driving the other day - all needles down to zero, then fired back up with the warning chime and lights, then went back to normal.

There have also been some other weird things like the remote start not cranking, and the HVAC temperature turning itself up to high heat, that make me think it’s a battery cable or ground issue and not the gauge cluster.
    sounds like it is time to dump the old beast and go shopping!

That is really frustrating.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Jag back from dealer, CEL extinguished (vacuum leak) car washed and vacuumed. Final bill even came out $10 less than original estimate. That bought me lunch.
    Nor'easter rains on their way, since the dealer hand-washed the Hag, maybe I'll wax it in the garage later. Now that it's back to 100%, and the $ I've put into it the last year or so, maybe I'll keep it; it looks almost new, too. Keep at least to New Year's Eve, the traditional let's make a car deal day for me...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

stickguy said:

sounds like it is time to dump the old beast and go shopping!

To clarify, just the gauge cluster went dead, not the entire truck. But, it never hurts to look, right? :)
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221
    edited October 2019
    Audi Q7 inspection shoes that the left side of the front bumper had been scraped and repainted but no underlying structural damage. Otherwise just a small scratch on passenger rear door, transmission oil pan leak and front tires need replaced.

I think I should buy it.

Anyone think otherwise?
    Assume the transmission oil pan leak is covered under warranty?
    First CL person came by and wants to time to think about it, but threw out an offer $1000 less than my asking which I rejected out of hand. Why waste my time?

Assume the transmission oil pan leak is covered under warranty?

Should be

Auto check and carfax are clean.

Autocheck shows it as personal vehicle but carfax shows corporate

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    The Prelude "failed" its state inspection today for being too "loud", which is BS so a wasted morning for me.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    @mjfloyd1 go for it! Sounds like a great price.
    Why do I like buying cars long distance???
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

@corvette - what exactly is the issue with the cluster?

Sounds like a cluster..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

pensfan83 said:

The Prelude "failed" its state inspection today for being too "loud", which is BS so a wasted morning for me.

That sucks.. typical for PA, though, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

mjfloyd1 said:

Why do I like buying cars long distance???

You haven't seen the car?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Had an inspection done by a guy recommended to me (not by the dealership). Lots of pictures and an autocheck report
    corvette said:

It went completely dead on me while driving the other day - all needles down to zero, then fired back up with the warning chime and lights, then went back to normal.

There have also been some other weird things like the remote start not cranking, and the HVAC temperature turning itself up to high heat, that make me think it’s a battery cable or ground issue and not the gauge cluster.

Sound like you may be having issues with cracked solder, if indeed the cluster is the problem. All of the issues you note could originate with a problem there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Sounds like Costco is going to try and avoid accepting my mileage warranty claim on the Pilot Sport 4S's. A bunch of BS about uneven wear.

Well, there are a thousand Discount Tires I can take a swing with!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

That sucks.. typical for PA, though, right?
    Generally yes but the same shop inspected it last year so I'm genuinely confused. When I pointed this out to the SA he said that tech is no longer working there so he can't speak to why he passed it. I asked how they determined it was too loud and whether they used a decibel meter and was told it's a "very loud" aftermarket exhaust and he cited the vehicle code as his supporting rationale. When I pressed him on how that was related to the safety inspection he got visibly upset and said his tech told him it would not pass and he was simply passing along the message. I thanked him, took the keys, and left.

It's disappointing because this is a reputable indy Honda/Acura shop and this visit was the total opposite of the first two. I didn't deal with this SA the past 2 times but he was pretty unapologetic and wasn't thrilled when I was asking questions, almost as if I were out of line. If I go back I'll go out of my way to avoid him.

The exhaust isn't some cheap hack job, it was installed cleanly, and wasn't cheap. It's really not any louder than the many other cars with aftermarket bits so it seems subjective.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Q7. I have a front wheel bearing failing on mine. 88,000 miles! Ridiculous. I received the new bearing yesterday (HUGE!!), and my new amazing tool kit for replacing the bearing came in today. I'm stoked. Hard to stay at work instead of just running home to play with it.

But, $600 in, and shop wants $1,400. Plus, I would be out that for a one-time deal. Now, if I *ever* have another wheel bearing failure on any car, I'm set.... just the cost of the bearing and a fun hour or so of my life. :)
    xwesx said:

Sound like you may be having issues with cracked solder, if indeed the cluster is the problem. All of the issues you note could originate with a problem there.

Well, I'm vindicated. (Keep in mind that sometimes it's expensive, irritating, and inconvenient to be vindicated...) Picked up keys and paid shop for diagnosis and an oil change. Took the Infiniti home, walked the dog, then walked back to the repair shop to get the Tahoe. As soon as I took off down the road, I got a "Stabilitrak off" error (which immediately went away, then an SRS error, which also went away. Pulled in my driveway and everything electrical went completely dead as soon as I turned the engine off.

Got out the multimeter and I'm showing zero volts once you get past the "mega fuse" behind the battery, which explains why nothing works. Apparently the fuse failing, or the terminals around it corroding, are common failures. I couldn't pry the cover off, so no way to be sure.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    On getting rid of cars:
    12 sold private party
    1 traded
    2 died, gave 1 to local high school mechanics shop

On the 2010 Mazda: Congrats! I bought one of my sons a used 626 hatch and it was a great car, lasted a long time. And most of his friends couldn’t drive stick so it never became the dorm car.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    good job Corvette. so new main fuse and battery cables coming up?

The plot thickens. Tow truck driver shows up, connects his jump box to the fused side of the main fuse, and it started right up! He asked if I wanted to just drive it to the shop. Uh, no, I have an AAA subscription for a reason.

Once he got it loaded on the truck, he turned it off, and amazingly, was able to restart it under its own power. Definitely something wonky going on with the fuse block, though.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    This sounds just like my 2009 Genesis. It was a bad ground. The “fix” from the factory was to clean and torque all grounds.

Mind you this was on a brand new car, but it did fix the problem.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    They sent us down to Miami airport yesterday around 4:45 and coming back to base, there was an accident on the Palmetto Expressway right before the express lane entrance. Took us over a half hour to go 4 miles so ended up getting back at 6:20 to clock out. A very long day and hoping tomorrow won't be as long!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Another F. Myers run at 6 am today, picked up 6 cargo vans. Chevy's, Ford Transit and a couple Dodge ones. I had a Chevy but bummer, had no usb port so was FM radio the whole way back. Turned into an over 12 hour day again today. First time I made any overtime at the job, worked about 47 hours for the week. My next check should be very healthy! Really wanted to say no but, said it was "mandatory", but please come in as we need you. Hard to say no really.
    The Enterprise app went through but still, no phone call as was told. Guess they figured I wasn't serios as I didn't accept the Ft. Lauderdale job a couple years back. But this new gig is basically 5 minutes from the house which changes everything really. A short commute with no more tolls would be ideal but guess it ain't meant to be. If it's still posted in Indeed.com, might just send it on through again. Working that close to home would be a great way to go out though.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited October 2019
    I finally got the refurbished gauge cluster and new dash wiring harness installed in the 63 corvette split window coupe. I put the fuses in and connected the battery and...

It fired right up.

I installed new speedometer and tachometer cables with some cable lubricant. Also installed the refurbished wiper motor.

Still have some adjusting to do, reinstall drivers seat, clock, radio, glovebox.

It is total project creep. Already had seats reupholstered in the finest vinyl (plastique) and new carpets installed. I wonder how long until I decide that the paint does a disservice to the interior??
    once you start, no looking back!

tjc78 said:

This sounds just like my 2009 Genesis.

I'm thinking that bailout-era iron may not be the best quality, although my Tahoe is a late enough build that it (apparently) avoided the bad valve bodies which plagued GM's six speed truck automatics from 2007-early 2009 (my 2008 Yukon was affected, which was the final nail in the coffin for it).
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Met with the local GM Finance guy to talk about options for the Volt (lease is up in early December). At this point the residual is lower than the car is worth so that’s good for me. I think buying the car is a cheaper option than leasing a new EV or plug-in, as the Bolt does not appeal to me. And we really like it. I’m going to drive a Leaf Plus this weekend, and unless I’m really wowed, we plan to keep the Volt. Any of you buying out your lease, did you get an extended warranty? I’ve never done that so I’m thinking not. We plan to keep it at least 5 years, and hopefully the Encore will keep trucking on as the runabout second car that long too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    don't know what the regular warranty is, but just treat it like any used car you are thinking of buying. I have never gotten an extended warranty on anything, but some people like them.

edited October 2019
    The thing that annoys me about today is that, had the shop done a normal electrical diagnostic instead of driving my work truck around, trying to get the gauges to malfunction, and had they checked the battery terminals, etc., they probably would have found the iffy main fuse, and my truck wouldn't have died in my driveway at all. Of course, I have the benefit of hindsight. I don't think they were incompetent, which is why I had it towed back there, they just didn't do the thing that would have found the problem.
    mjfloyd1 said:

I finally got the refurbished gauge cluster and new dash wiring harness installed in the 63 corvette split window coupe. I put the fuses in and connected the battery and...

It fired right up.

I installed new speedometer and tachometer cables with some cable lubricant. Also installed the refurbished wiper motor.

Still have some adjusting to do, reinstall drivers seat, clock, radio, glovebox.

It is total project creep. Already had seats reupholstered in the finest vinyl (plastique) and new carpets installed. I wonder how long until I decide that the paint does a disservice to the interior??

If you need me to do some shake-down test driving, let me know.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

X1 got a clean report back during pre-inspection and the Genius that helped me was wonderful. Basically ran through lease return and gave me her information for when I'm ready to ground it.
    any progress on the Viggen front?

I still think BaT might take it, even with some cosmetic issues. But what do I know!

edited October 2019
    One offer for $6k that I did not counter. Guy last night is mulling it over and I have someone else interested that may want to see it on Sunday.

I really don't want to deal with BaT. The most comparable one I saw went on BaT for $8k and while it didn't have as much maintenance history, it was in much better shape cosmetically. Factor in listing fees, etc., and I think it'd end up being a wash. The last thing I'd want to have happen is to get LESS.
    Mechanic cleaned the terminals around the main fuse and cleaned the battery terminals. Drove it 30 minutes with no issues. Hopefully that will take care of it. No additional fee.
    The Altima was officially transferred today and while the car has received its share of criticisms, none of that will come from me. It was rock solid for nearly 5.5 years with only fluid, tire, and other consumables part of the cost of ownership. It served us well
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464
    xwesx said:

On vehicle dispositions, I haven't actually had all that many either. I will say, though, that I have never traded in a car.

I have lost two through crashes, one buyback, rest either private party or give away. I don't much feel like taking the time to count them all out. My guess is maybe ten.

TEN, aren't you afraid to admit to something like that in here? Don't be surprised when you're asked to relinquish your card for admittance to this site !!! :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    You are the only person I know of that had a V6 Altima. I wonder how much a difference that made?