Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I’m a bit curious on the Leaf myself.

Here in CO, xcel energy provides a $3,000 rebate and the state has a $5,000 tax credit. The Nissan dealers will credit the $8,000 toward the purchase (you assign the credit to them) in addition to whatever dealer discount they provide. Generally, dealers are advertising about $11k off, and then you get the $7,500 federal rebate at tax time.

Pretty good deal.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    edited October 2019
    My TDI arbitrage car is for sale! Confirmed VIN. Was goofing around and found it.

https://www.grandjunctionvolkswagen.com/used/Audi/2013-Audi-A3-481c08ee0a0e0ae8475c3b8c63521aa9.htm
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    That’s cool. It looks like a nice car. I know you bought it for the buy out. Did you drive it much? Like it? I noticed the local dealers selling TDIs now. Most come with a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. I also observed that most have been serviced and list a new battery as part of the service. I guess sitting for over a year that’s a good idea. They do seem reasonably priced.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    corvette said:

Paging @qbrozen or anyone else who might have one - can anyone recommend an OBD scanner device? I should probably have one anyway, but my OnStar is now showing a red light and isn't working.

Edit: Ordered a BlueDriver from Amazon. There is a popular scanner called FIXD that is less expensive, but doesn't include the repair database BlueDriver does (FIXD charges a subscription fee for the database).

Bluedriver would have been my suggestion.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

sda said:

That’s cool. It looks like a nice car. I know you bought it for the buy out. Did you drive it much? Like it? I noticed the local dealers selling TDIs now. Most come with a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. I also observed that most have been serviced and list a new battery as part of the service. I guess sitting for over a year that’s a good idea. They do seem reasonably priced.

Put about 1000 miles on it in 6 months. I loved it. Really fun car. I think this is probably over priced. You can get Jettas and such sub-$15k.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029

My TDI arbitrage car is for sale! Confirmed VIN. Was goofing around and found it.

https://www.grandjunctionvolkswagen.com/used/Audi/2013-Audi-A3-481c08ee0a0e0ae8475c3b8c63521aa9.htm

Only a 4 hour drive for me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    I would not mind having this for a toy, if it just wasn't ruined by having the wrong transmission, and 1 too few pedals. Even though it has zero space for anything, probably not even a weekend bag.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2009-pontiac-solstice-2dr_convertible-used-1g2mn35b09y108068.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Wrong trans and wrong engine

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I liked the coupe better, and I agree with @qbrozen, you'd want the GXP.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    edited October 2019
    I just drove past the Subaru plant on my way to Chicago- new Outbacks sitting outside.

What a great idea- drive from south of Indy to Chicago and back home, then immediately drive to Atlanta to pick up Q7
    if I wanted a prior generation 3 series, this one is just about perfect. love the colors, and all the options you need.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2016-bmw-3_series-certified_328i_xdrive_sport_package_awd_led_nav_cam-used-wba8e3g51gnu01526.html

Love the colors on that 328.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    fintail said:

11 months? Wow. MB has never started hounding me until maybe 7 months out.

I took the picture and tossed the flyer, there isn't a chance we do anything until June at the earliest. My understanding is that Acura has an unpublished 6 month pull ahead but only 3 payments are fully waived. The rest are rolled over or you need to write a check.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    if they aren't cancelling the rest of the payments, it is a 3 month pull ahead, not 6. You can trade it in any time you want on a new lease if you want to deal with the payments.

no way I am giving it back early if I have to pay for the old car and new car at the same time.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    That's pretty strict. The MB 6 month pull ahead is well known, and is a clean slate - you just start over. They can bend the rules too, IIRC when I got the Bluetec, it was ~10 months out, they were really itching to get rid of it.
    pensfan83 said:

I took the picture and tossed the flyer, there isn't a chance we do anything until June at the earliest. My understanding is that Acura has an unpublished 6 month pull ahead but only 3 payments are fully waived. The rest are rolled over or you need to write a check.

And with that, the Saab is gone. I'm so depressed.
    sad, but less stressful. eventually you will get another toy.

I told Sam and he cried. It was brutal. That was after he finished crying because the eagles lost.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

I told Sam and he cried. It was brutal. That was after he finished crying because the eagles lost.

Lucky he isn't a Bengals fan. He would never stop crying.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

I told Sam and he cried. It was brutal. That was after he finished crying because the eagles lost. </

Selling is always a mixed bag.

My buddy was right, every SAAB ends in a SAAB story...

Got the BlueDriver going - it's a neat tool, but unfortunately, it didn't show any codes stored which would point me to the issue with OnStar. I think OnStar, in theory, is a gimmick, and I take issue with some of the fear-mongering ads I've heard on the radio before, but at a discounted rate of $10/month, I think it's reasonable for the automatic crash notification, instant diagnostics if you get a check engine light, and emailing me once a month with my oil life and tire pressures. I could still just cancel my plan and do without. Going to try to do some more research on GM truck-specific forums.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Pretty BMW though I'd prefer the blue over beige combo. A 328 is something I could really learn to love and the one I'd get if I went German again. But leaning more towards hybrid or electric next time I do purchase. Do believe I'd get another Golf if they still had the SEL version as I made a tremendous mistake by not getting one back in 2014. The few extras it contained are things I really did want and spending the extra $ would've been worth it.
    Going forward with the next purchase, plan to really think things out and get exactly what I want, cost be damned. Just not convinced it'll be a 2020 model anymore to be honest. Just going to play it by ear and keep on looking. Think I'll know it when I see it/drive it no matter what "it" is. It'll have to put that silly smile on my face like the Golf had done all these years, one when I see it, I'll have that thrilling feeling inside that I own this piece of machinery. So just plan on enjoying the ride I've currently got while continuing o look for what comes next!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

was chatting with the wife earlier about how there are things you don't really "need", but once you have them, you really don't want to go back. Even if it costs a bit more to get what really makes you happy. If you can afford it, go for it so you don't regret it every day you drive it.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    With both my Buick and Chevy I get diagnostics, monthly email report, and use of remote services with the app. That’s all free for 5 years. It’s the extra stuff that has a monthly charge, and isn’t worth it to me. I’ve got AAA for towing and such, and the chance of being knocked unconscious in a crash is pretty small. Assuming you or someone is conscious you could just hit the Onstar button and activate the plan.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @28firefighter - mazel-tov on the sale of your Saab. Nice to know you found a good home for it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Hopefully the new owner will address the cosmetics and give it a little love. It sounds like they appreciate it for the unique and fine vehicle it is.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Sparky. Good name for an electric car!

Good job on the sale. Probably best all around for you and the car. Unless you wanted to make it a lifetime member of the family, you had some fun and moved on. Can always find another toy down the line.

stickguy said:

Sparky. Good name for an electric car!

I can't take credit for it. My Dad and I were talking about names with Sam on FaceTime after we got it, and as soon as my Dad said it, Sam latched on.
    stickguy said:

Good job on the sale. Probably best all around for you and the car. Unless you wanted to make it a lifetime member of the family, you had some fun and moved on. Can always find another toy down the line.

This is exactly the thought process I went down. I either needed to fix it up to my standards and make it a lifetime holder or it was time for it to go. I loved the Viggen, but I never saw it as a forever car.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    mjfloyd1 said:

tjc78 said:

xwesx said:

jmonroe1 said:

xwesx said:

Q7. I have a front wheel bearing failing on mine. 88,000 miles! Ridiculous. I received the new bearing yesterday (HUGE!!), and my new amazing tool kit for replacing the bearing came in today. I'm stoked. Hard to stay at work instead of just running home to play with it.

But, $600 in, and shop wants $1,400. Plus, I would be out that for a one-time deal. Now, if I *ever* have another wheel bearing failure on any car, I'm set.... just the cost of the bearing and a fun hour or so of my life. :)

Just curious and I hope you don't take this as being too nebby, but how much did your new toy, the wheel bearing tool kit, cost you? Like they say, "if you don't have the right tools you can't do a professional job". Years ago I convinced Mrs. j that you can't do everything around the house just because you have a hammer, screw driver and a pair of vice grips.

Let us know how long it takes to do the job. I know it will be worth your time if only because of learning something and the self satisfaction you'll get.

jmonroe
    $500. An excellent kit, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045H9UJQ/
    That wasn’t available for rental at Autozone, etc?
    I wondered the same. You pay a deposit that gets refunded when you return the tool set.
    You guys are funny. You seem to forget where I am located! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Ok, found this vid. Different tool kit but shows the process. Leave it to the Germans. This is why I much prefer the hub and bearing to be a single replaceable unit.

Fingers crossed the manual kit from Amazon can handle enough torque from your arm to do the job.

My kit did exactly the same thing, except that it cost less than this one (at least from the place I was able to find it, and it is full universal for other makes and models.

Job it done (nearly). I didn't get the brakes set right in terms of the clearing air from the fluid, so I'll need to sort that out to night. But, I now drive in blissful silence. Yay.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    ab348 said:

I hope his arm has enough torque to do the job. :laughing:

Yeah, forget that! My cordless impact driver did just fine, though. Did the whole job in one battery, too. It finally quit while I was installing the last lug nut.
    corvette said:

Paging @qbrozen or anyone else who might have one - can anyone recommend an OBD scanner device? I should probably have one anyway, but my OnStar is now showing a red light and isn't working.

Edit: Ordered a BlueDriver from Amazon. There is a popular scanner called FIXD that is less expensive, but doesn't include the repair database BlueDriver does (FIXD charges a subscription fee for the database).

For reading, I definitely like my BlueDriver. It doesn't do any sort of send protocols, though, so you cannot use it to reset maintenance reminders, etc.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    xwesx said:

ab348 said:

I hope his arm has enough torque to do the job. :laughing:

Yeah, forget that! My cordless impact driver did just fine, though. Did the whole job in one battery, too. It finally quit while I was installing the last lug nut.
    I remember the episode of Wheeler Dealers when Edd had to change the rear wheel bearing in a Renault Alpine. It was retained by a large outside-thread nut with slots for a special removal tool to to engage. He fabricated his own tool but the thing was on so tight that he had to use heat plus a couple of long pieces of pipe over the wrench handle to get enough leverage, then once that was finally off, a hydraulic press to remove the bearing itself. No fun.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

The original bearing was horridly difficult to remove, but it did finally come out. Thankfully, the reinstall was much smoother.

Gonna get grit in your bearings working on the ground like that!

stickguy said:

Gonna get grit in your bearings working on the ground like that!

Only in the ones I don't want. I'm used to working in these conditions; been doing it for decades. I'm actually very thankful that I had neither rain nor snow (well, no more than a dusting) during this weekend's activity. Temps were even tolerable at about -1-2C (28-30F) for the duration.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ 20 fire fighter yes sad day but at least it went to a good home.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @zwest Nice which car was it that you did this work on this past weekend?
    Q7
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    The boy picks up the "new" 3 on Wednesday; I've given him much fatherly advice on maintenance and the requirement to now have $ in the bank for the necessary and inevitable's...
    Business Manager made a mild effort to sell warranties, mostly tire/wheel. But, I explained "self-insure" to the boy and declined.

Jag went in Thursday to fix vacuum leak, all now appears well. Cost more than I had hoped, but less than I expected, so I'll call it a win. Since they hand washed (and vacuued) I applied the winter coat of polymer. Now that I've invested a decent amount of $ in it the last year or so, I'm likely going to keep it a bit longer. Not to mention it still looks new-ish and drives so darn well. But, I'll retain the option of New Year's Eve bargaining.

I think buying the Mazda 3 scratched the itch, for now. But, jealous the boy gets a "new" car and I'm driving a nearly 7 year old sled. I stink at this CCB thing.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

They took pains to not mention or show the miles, so it is quite safe to assume MANY. That said, it does look good; definitely a great color combo for the year.
    Speaking of unicorns.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Holy moly. I live in Subaru country and haven’t seen one of those in years!
    Deets?