Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Since it's so quiet in here today I thought I'd post a few fun pics as a diversion. Last week the FB page "Asphalt Anthropology" posted 43 pics of the car cruising scene that existed on Van Nuys Blvd in 1972. They were a wonderful picture of Southern California in that moment in time. Here are a few favorites:

Can you imagine...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I love the row of vans. And the dudes cruising in the rambler.

And I’ll fly out right now to buy the Camaro for $2,000.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Happy Thanksgiving, eh! From a US employee of a Canadian company enjoying the quiet today. No meetings!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    driver100 said:

It is 2:30 p.m. Eatern time, and no one posted yet!

Happy Thanksgiving Day ab!

I posted something earlier. Who knows what happened to it?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    My Fusion is listed on the dealer website, but no details or price yet.
    Probably have to wait for the title to clear.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

Sorry, but I was working today. No holiday for me. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I'm enjoying the pictures.
    The cars are interesting but the body language of the candid shots tells a story of the lives of those young folk.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Got sent a link by Lincoln with some good info about the car.
    Here is the Revel audio system video.
    https://players.brightcove.net/2379864788001/r1KkNWkhg_default/index.html?videoId=5161308867001
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Well today being Leif landed first day we had the day off and took the BMW on the first long trip as we went to Galena.

Car drove great, got a little over 32 MPG with a mix of Interstate highway and rural back roads (maybe a 50/50 mix) and some driving in the Galena area. The car did well on the hills once we got into the driftless region keeping speed on the ascents effortlessly. Leaving Galena we took the top down, it was in the low 50s but with the heated seats and the neck warmers we were warm. Although we did put it back up before we got back on the interstate.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    driver100 said:

You Canadians are screwed up. Today ain't Thanksgiving; today is Columbus Day. Thanksgiving is in November not October. :o

But, if you insist, Happy Thanksgiving. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

You Canadians are screwed up.
    jmonroe
    If you think we are screwed up now, just wait until after the federal election a week from today. :worried:

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    If you think we are screwed up now, just wait until after the federal election a week from today. :worried:

Well, if you want to change things, do like we've done for years here in the US, vote early and often. That'll at least give you a 50/50 chance. :p

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

Happy Thanksgiving, eh! From a US employee of a Canadian company enjoying the quiet today. No meetings!

I worked in Canada for a U.S. company....I always showed no bias....celebrated both Thanksgivings.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited October 2019

Well today being Leif landed first day we had the day off and took the BMW on the first long trip as we went to Galena.

Car drove great, got a little over 32 MPG with a mix of Interstate highway and rural back roads (maybe a 50/50 mix) and some driving in the Galena area. The car did well on the hills once we got into the driftless region keeping speed on the ascents effortlessly. Leaving Galena we took the top down, it was in the low 50s but with the heated seats and the neck warmers we were warm. Although we did put it back up before we got back on the interstate.

So, is driving a BMW a unique experience? It would be a shame to go through life and never experience driving one or something similar.

I like that town.....some towns look really nice when they modernize those old classic buildings.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

You Canadians are screwed up. Today ain't Thanksgiving; today is Columbus Day. Thanksgiving is in November not October. :o

jmonroe
    Or it's Indiginous People's Day...

No partisanship in these forums!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Just because you have the wannabe holiday that comes later..........

Ab....cool pictures. I am tempted to look into the Camaro for $2000 too.
    I like that .....is it a Buick (maybe Riviera) or Oldsmobile in front of the barber shop, hardware store in the picture below the Camaro.
    Oh, and even better, a 57 T-Bird second from the end, it doesn't get much better than that.

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

I have to agree....we'll be Thankful if we can survive this one.

That is a Riviera in the picture below the Camaro. Sharp looking. Must have been one heck of a shock to the system back in the day.

We went to Maryland over the weekend and took the Ascent. About 375 miles round trip. Comfortable for 5 people and luggage. It is more powerful than I thought it would be. No problems at all. Not Roadburner fast by any means, but it gets the job done.

When we take my 6 cylinder Legacy we can get there and back with gas left over. With the 4 cylinder, turbocharged Ascent we stopped for gas - not sure if we needed it, but felt better.

Here's the interior for those who don't like black interiors:

And a quickie of the dash I took while hauling stuff into the house:

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I like that! Very nice!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Love it, @venture. I wouldn’t even shop the market at this point if we needed 3 rows. I like the Ascent that much.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Gotta run right out and get some. I can’t believe I’ve never changed it.

https://youtu.be/E6GsXhBb10k

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

sharp looking car. Love the seats. When we sat in the Outback a few weeks ago it was a limited and had them. Very comfy.

funny video. Nice though that a Ranger is so easy to work on!

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    venture said:

We went to Maryland over the weekend and took the Ascent. About 375 miles round trip. Comfortable for 5 people and luggage. It is more powerful than I thought it would be. No problems at all. Not Roadburner fast by any means, but it gets the job done.

When we take my 6 cylinder Legacy we can get there and back with gas left over. With the 4 cylinder, turbocharged Ascent we stopped for gas - not sure if we needed it, but felt better.

Very nice... always a fan of non-black interiors!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    venture said:

That interior is a relief to the eyes.

stickguy said:

sharp looking car. Love the seats. When we sat in the Outback a few weeks ago it was a limited and had them. Very comfy.

The Ascent seats look really nice....nice instrument panel. Seems to me we looked at Foresters when we bought the 2013 Passat and they were pretty minimal....drab inside.
    When are you going to replace the dealer's paper floor mats? Do you or anyone bother with Weather Tech or anything like that?
    I just use what comes with the car....sometimes rubber, sometimes carpet. I kind of prefer rubber, don't have to worry about it.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

So, is driving a BMW a unique experience? It would be a shame to go through life and never experience driving one or something similar.

I like that town.....some towns look really nice when they modernize those old classic buildings.
    No not really a unique experience, I've driven a lot of cars of which many were well made higher end vehicles and this one doesn't really stand out. Now dont get me wrong it's really nice and beats out my other cars but new it costs twice as much as the Sonata and then some. I dont think I would spend the bucks for one brand new.

Galena is a lovely little town in the far northwest of Illinois, much of the town looks like it did 150 or more years ago. Even many of the homes near the business district maintain a distinctive look of years gone by.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I find a BMW is unique, performance and handling are probably better than any other mainstream car. It is made right.
    In our case, as we got a little older, we want a bit more comfort and handling/performance are less important.
    I do miss the handling of a BMW, but, comfort has become more important to me these days.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @venture - those seats in your Ascent look incredibly comfortable and supportive. Do those come in black?

Does the Ascent have the same size gas tank as your Legacy? One of my legacy’s good qualities was the fact that it could regularly go 420 miles between fill ups. I pushed it to over 500 miles once, but then ran out of gas.

The 4cyl Turbo efficiency of the Ascent will only get you so far. I’m sure like our Pilot and my Tacoma, the weight comes in to play. Especially when you compare it to your Legacy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Nice interior. Reminds me of my Volvo. Love light seats and dark carpets.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    venture said:

What color is the dash. It looks like it has a blue tone on my screen.
    I like the neutral seats and I love the dash if is a blue based color.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

The Ascent seats look really nice....nice instrument panel. Seems to me we looked at Foresters when we bought the 2013 Passat and they were pretty minimal....drab inside.
    When are you going to replace the dealer's paper floor mats? Do you or anyone bother with Weather Tech or anything like that?
    I just use what comes with the car....sometimes rubber, sometimes carpet. I kind of prefer rubber, don't have to worry about it.
    Actually there are all-weathger mats under the paper ones. I asked my wife if I could take out the paper ones before the trip and I just got glared at. The carpeted ones are in the garage on a shelf.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Actually there are all-weathger mats under the paper ones. I asked my wife if I could take out the paper ones before the trip and I just got glared at. The carpeted ones are in the garage on a shelf.
    Speaking of which, it may be time to swap out the carpet mats for the all-season mats in the Outback. Had our first snow last week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

nyccarguy said:

@venture - those seats in your Ascent look incredibly comfortable and supportive. Do those come in black?

Does the Ascent have the same size gas tank as your Legacy? One of my legacy’s good qualities was the fact that it could regularly go 420 miles between fill ups. I pushed it to over 500 miles once, but then ran out of gas.

The 4cyl Turbo efficiency of the Ascent will only get you so far. I’m sure like our Pilot and my Tacoma, the weight comes in to play. Especially when you compare it to your Legacy.

They do come in black...black and ivory.

I don't know what size the gas tanks are. Fuel mileage isn't my thing. I don't think I can get 420, I don't know. Mine is the 3.6 liter six cylinder.

Yeah, the Ascent starts to run out of pull at 80 mph. It will keep going, but it doesn't seem to like it.

venture said:

What color is the dash. It looks like it has a blue tone on my screen.
    I like the neutral seats and I love the dash if is a blue based color.
    It's actually gray. The sun was blasting through the windshield when I took the pictures. It was sitting in the driveway.

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Thats what I do...use the rubber mats, save the carpet ones in pristine condition....if I can remember where I put them.

Not a great day so far.

The UPS my desktop went kerflooey when I was working with it. Had to go to Best Buy to get a new one.

The faucet in the powder room was dripping slowly so I decided to replace the cartridge. Of course, it was stuck and I pulled the sink top off of the vanity. Not a big deal, but now I have to get some caulk and glue it back down.

I sat on the remote for the TV in the family room and did something. The picture is small and the programming doesn’t show on the guide. I haven’t had time to look at that.

This was all before lunch time. :smile:

You're on a roll!! I might suggest not using anything with an open flame the rest of the day... :laughing:

Speaking of things that drive you nuts... 37 years ago, when our family home was down to just me and my father, and we both decided it was time to move on, I took a very few things with me that he didn't want and thought I could use. I still have his old hammer that is god-knows how many decades old and a few of his other old hand tools. He also put in the box an old Heinz jar full of assorted small finish nails, picture hangers and the like which I have used sporadically ever since. A small thing but useful and it reminds me of him when I fetch it.

Maybe 10 years ago the jar disappeared. I looked for it numerous times and could never find it, but knew I didn't throw it out. Finally 3 or 4 years ago it reappeared in the very back of a cabinet I seldom use. I told myself I would keep it in plain sight from then on and did so. Until today, when I went to use it and it wasn't there. I looked in the usual spots (including that cabinet), tried to remember the last time I needed it, and drew a blank. That mustard jar has the gift of invisibility.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    3 or 4 years into the future...

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    ab348 said:

Speaking of things that drive you nuts... 37 years ago, when our family home was down to just me and my father, and we both decided it was time to move on, I took a very few things with me that he didn't want and thought I could use. I still have his old hammer that is god-knows how many decades old and a few of his other old hand tools. He also put in the box an old Heinz jar full of assorted small finish nails, picture hangers and the like which I have used sporadically ever since. A small thing but useful and it reminds me of him when I fetch it.

Maybe 10 years ago the jar disappeared. I looked for it numerous times and could never find it, but knew I didn't throw it out. Finally 3 or 4 years ago it reappeared in the very back of a cabinet I seldom use. I told myself I would keep it in plain sight from then on and did so. Until today, when I went to use it and it wasn't there. I looked in the usual spots (including that cabinet), tried to remember the last time I needed it, and drew a blank. That mustard jar has the gift of invisibility.

Welcome to the club.

• houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    ab348 said:

You're on a roll!! I might suggest not using anything with an open flame the rest of the day... :laughing:

Just hold on until tomorrow. You won't even remember what happened today.
  • houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    ab348 said:

Good story AB, thanks for sharing.
    @venture,
    Mileage and range will improve over time.
    We have had a couple of vehicles that got their best mileage around 110K.
    @jmonroe1 and you other Burghers

I got my invitation to the Pirates annual dinner for their sponsors and charity beneficiaries. It's a really nice event at PNC Park.

The players were not there last year, but in previous years they were. Two years ago Josh Bell, Tyler Glasnow, and Mitch Williams sat at our table.

It was always in the Lexus Club. Now it's in the Hyundai Club. :open_mouth:

Does the club sponsor reflect the team performance? :wink:

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    I wonder when that changed. I've only ever sat in the expensive seats a few times with the most recent coming last year and it was still the Lexus Club.

Enjoy yourself though!
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    ab348 said:

Does the club sponsor reflect the team performance? :wink:

That must be it. :smile: