Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    that your winter beater? If so, looks nice. I thought those were a niche collectible now, and not all that cheap? But if it runs good for a decent price, I would take it for myself.

just too bad it isn't bright screaming yellow!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

X5 is nice looking. Seats are actually in better than expected condition, especially if high miles. One of my favorite color combos.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Congrats @28firefighter on the sale. I haven’t done it in awhile, but it’s certainly a satisfying feeling completing a private sale.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,742

Deets?

Not mine. My son’s friend went to Missouri to get it. One owner Baja turbo with a stick. 160K miles. I drove it.. fast and solid. Bone stock. Interior looks like a 50K mile unit. Pretty sweet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Another visitor this weekend:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Quick public service message for my friends here.

I was looking to buy some tix for this Thursday night's Broncos game - my stepdaughter and her boyfriend are using our pair of season tickets, but thought I'd buy a few more for me and the boys to go.

I normally go through ticketmaster, but thought I'd browse craigslist. Corresponded with someone, asking what I thought were the right questions to the point I decided it was legitimate. Transferred funds to him through Zelle (via my bank's website) and then....nothing.

Shame on me and I certainly feel foolish. But I put too much weight on using Zelle through my bank's website - I figured you were protected somehow but not the case. And from a Google search, that's exactly what scammers rely on to get you.

Anyway - just thought I'd pass that lesson along.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    kyfdx said:

Deets?

Not mine. My son’s friend went to Missouri to get it. One owner Baja turbo with a stick. 160K miles. I drove it.. fast and solid. Bone stock. Interior looks like a 50K mile unit. Pretty sweet.
    I think that had the same engine as the Outback XT of that era right?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

kyfdx said:

Deets?

I “think” it has the Forester XT engine. But, I’m not sure. It’s definitely fast.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

breld said:

I was looking to buy some tix for this Thursday night's Broncos game - my stepdaughter and her boyfriend are using our pair of season tickets, but thought I'd buy a few more for me and the boys to go.

I normally go through ticketmaster, but thought I'd browse craigslist. Corresponded with someone, asking what I thought were the right questions to the point I decided it was legitimate. Transferred funds to him through Zelle (via my bank's website) and then....nothing.

Shame on me and I certainly feel foolish. But I put too much weight on using Zelle through my bank's website - I figured you were protected somehow but not the case. And from a Google search, that's exactly what scammers rely on to get you.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

Deets?

I “think” it has the Forester XT engine. But, I’m not sure. It’s definitely fast.
    Wikipedia thinks I’m wrong. Says 2.5 turbo from the Outback. It’s basically a pup version of the Outback, so that makes sense

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    breld said:

It happens to a lot of people! Even the actor Alec Baldwin got scammed out of tickets to a Liberty Island boat tour for his family a couple of weeks ago. One does feel foolish but as long as they didn’t also help themselves to CC numbers or your account it’s just one of those things. Ticketmaster’s fees are annoying, but I guess this is why we pay them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,260
    I was about to comment on the lack of info on the mileage. I think those shared a lot of parts with the E39, which also does not bode well. On the plus side, if it has 200k, it's probably on its third or fourth set of control arm bushings! :p
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    breld said:

I had those fears when shopping for tix for my son and me. Back and forth with someone on CL and asked if he’d take paypal because then I’d be protected. He said no, so I said no deal. Then found someone through the facebook tickets group. Turns out you can find a group for pretty much any team of people selling and buying tix. Helps to be able to see the person’s history and feedback, plus he took paypal.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Bummer Breld. I avoid CL like the plague. Even FB has a lot of scams, but at least you can know you are dealing with a local person. Problem is, even if you meet in person for hard copies, no guarantee they aren't fake. So paying the extra from the official team source at least gets you peace of mind.

All the tickets are digital these days, so at least no worry about fake paper tickets. I saw some who posted on craigslist said they would meet the buyer in person and complete the transaction that way - so money changes hands and the tickets are transferred on the spot.

Oh well - it's a bummer, but lesson learned and it's not the end of the world. I went ahead and bought real tickets this evening - through Ticketmaster's NFL Ticket Exchange.

breld said:

All the tickets are digital these days, so at least no worry about fake paper tickets. I saw some who posted on craigslist said they would meet the buyer in person and complete the transaction that way - so money changes hands and the tickets are transferred on the spot.

Oh well - it's a bummer, but lesson learned and it's not the end of the world. I went ahead and bought real tickets this evening - through Ticketmaster's NFL Ticket Exchange.

Stubhub?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yikes!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Yikes!

I happen to think it’s an improvement. But still pretty awful.
    not feeling it. Wheels suck too. and as a topper, I think white is a lousy color on that car.

other than that, what's not to like?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    The tix I bought for this Sunday’s game are paper, along with a premium parking pass. Hopefully not fake but we’ll find out.

So on the stereo front, I received an email from the place I ordered the head unit from. They claim it is out of stock and have offered a different unit that is $15 more and doesn’t even have carplay. So I went to the site to search for other models and the one I ordered popped up as a “flash sale” and 62/240 sold. I replied to the email, pasted that link, and asked them to explain how they are still selling it and claim to have them in stock.

Just like a car dealer advertising a screamer on a specific stock unit that is always sold yet continuously advertised, no?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,901
    I've seen those games with sellers. I think they don't take the ads down because then they have to pay more listing fees.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    @breld have you initiated a dispute through your bank for the Zelle payment? Your bank should have a fraud unit dedicated to investigating transactions like that. I would submit a dispute and let them take it from there. If you have additional questions you can PM me directly.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Glad to see @pensfan83 weigh in - I've not had a dispute over Zelle, but I know US Bank offers at least an investigation if you get taken advantage and it may result in getting your money back depending on what the outcome shows.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @zwest Nice on the brakes being done on the shoe seven, how is everything else going otherwise. Do use Facebook, go to go on it there’s plenty of stuff there on my Thunderbird if you wanna check it out and see. Haven’t posted much lately but there’s plenty to go through. My name just like on here. I also use Instagram to. If anyone else on here is also interested since I have no clue how to post pictures on here it’s iffy with this voiceover and voice dictation with this website. I don’t 100% blind accessible ha ha.
    @ Send man, hope you’re having a good week so far. You have the right idea take your time and get what you exactly want options and everything.
    @ Stick guy, that’s cool but that person who is in the wheelchair had a Fiat 500 X, it’s definitely different then your normal minivan I have a friend who has I think he still has it I haven’t seen him in forever we used to work with had a jeep patriot he was in a wheelchair.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

@zwest Nice on the brakes being done on the shoe seven, how is everything else going otherwise. Do use Facebook, go to go on it there’s plenty of stuff there on my Thunderbird if you wanna check it out and see. Haven’t posted much lately but there’s plenty to go through. My name just like on here. I also use Instagram to. If anyone else on here is also interested since I have no clue how to post pictures on here it’s iffy with this voiceover and voice dictation with this website. I don’t 100% blind accessible ha ha.

Going well! Finished up the wheel bearing project last night by finally figuring out how to bleed the brake system properly on that car (turns out, there are two bleeders per wheel). Yesterday, the brakes were rather interesting. I felt like I was driving my old van again... when the master cylinder was failing! LOL Things are dreamy today.

I also had a road rager go off on me this morning. That was fun. Driving in the mid-dawn, no lights, tailgating. He decided that me driving in the left lane on a busy street-level artery at five over the limit was not okay. He swings around me on the right, cuts off car behind and me as well, then swings back to the right lane at the light ahead because there were fewer cars there. Somehow stalls his old Tahoe (late 90s vintage), so the light turns green and everyone goes... guy just sits there. Then, he gets it started, flys along the road again cutting off cars as he weaves back up to my tail, then swings around me in the left turn lane as I am slowing at the next red light, slams on his brakes, skids about 50% in to the intersection only partly back in the left lane (just ahead of me), gets out of his car yelling profanities.... I just smiled and shook my head in pity. Guy is literally having a full-on tantrum.

He finally gets back in his vehicle before the light turns green and peels away. Sadly, he didn't crash and kill himself (or, thankfully, anyone else) that I saw, but he was going insanely fast at that point and was gone in no time. Happily, my daughter was reading in the back and didn't notice any of this going on (Yay for Q7 having excellent sound insulation!).

I'm having a great day though, so I decided to extend a little grace to this doofus and not call him in. Probably should have, but so it goes. I might have his little rant on dash cam though. LOL.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    pensfan83 said:

@breld have you initiated a dispute through your bank for the Zelle payment? Your bank should have a fraud unit dedicated to investigating transactions like that. I would submit a dispute and let them take it from there. If you have additional questions you can PM me directly.

Yes, I called my bank (US Bank) immediately and they did open up a case to investigate. I'm just not that hopeful of having the funds returned based on what I've read.

The thing that frustrated me the most was the individual I spoke to on the phone, who was very nice, stated that the website clearly says something about using Zelle for friends and family. I did take some offense at that and explained to her how the website does no such thing and instead outwardly promotes the service as a partnership between US Bank and Zelle.

I can see there point about not being there problem. Nobody took money from or hacked your account. You gave it to them willingly. Not really any different than if you wrote a check that was cashed. Would you have asked the bank to refund that?

Uhhh, no. Zelle is a P2P payment platform similar to Venmo except it is managed by specific financial institutions, which your bank and my employer/my bank participates in. What she may have meant to say, albeit poorly, is that it's meant for family and friends you trust, which still doesn't make it any easier to hear.

Investigations into Zelle fraud are out of my space but given what needs to be supplied to enable transfers and the fact only limited banks participate, I would think it should be relatively easy to pinpoint the perpetrator.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Pens, conceptually, isn’t that something to help out the police, if the customer files a complaint with them? To help the cops find the thief. And not something the bank would track down on their own and take action on?

I really like the looks of the new ranger. Ford dealer by me has a row right on the road and I drove by them again today, and they always catch my eye. Might not feel same way if I drive one, from what I’ve read. Hopefully the updated model arrives soon. And doesn’t bloat up.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Had the Golf re-aligned this am and got it back in worse condition with the wheel cocked more to the left than beforehand! Wasn't happy so stopped by another Tires Plus and they did it again, this time with better results. 2nd guy said it was out a bit which I found interesting as I had only driven maybe 40 miles in between alignments. I didn't hit nothing so guessing someone didn't do it right. Expires on the 19th but I'm done now and not sure I'm going to renew it. It's a bit cheaper if I do renew before it expires and did ask about a discount if we got three policies, figured one for the A3 and the other for the Accent. They are transferable one time to another vehicle, did it with the Civic and the Tucson and someone let me put the remainder on the Golf's first year...wink, wink! But it wasn't my high school friend who helped me out there.
    The Cruze is coming down on Thursday and we're going to have them fix the radio problem she's having. Chevy store is super close, next to the Hyundai place, and she'll just use the Golf if they need hers over nite. It's her birthday weekend and her old company needs her to stop by as she's doing some special project for them remotely like when she worked for them from St. Cloud. The Accent is also coming in for the weekend so we'll have a full driveway.
    Called Waste Pro and complained about their trash vehicle backing up on the fresh asphalt and taking a tire tread of it off. We waited a total of four days, only required two, of no driving on it and the only mark is a wider tire backing in like I've seen the trash truck do numerous times. Started a report and we'll see what they'll do to fix it. No other marks from our vehicles and it's been about three weeks since it was done. Hoping they'll do the right thing here and make it right as it looks bad really.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

If a determination by the investigating unit determines it's fraud it could go down the path of law enforcement notification but in situations like this fraud can be hard to prove. Misrepresentation and financial loss are present but the false statements made by the sellers could probably be twisted around by them to make it seem more like a misunderstanding (i.e. they were selling tickets on behalf of someone else who didn't follow through).

There are banks who screen users against derogatory lists and those which match Zelle patterns (in and out) to historical account patterns and flag them accordingly, but the main problem with Zelle and other P2P platforms like Venmo is there are no consumer protections, the risk is 100% on the users and the agreement pretty much states that fact. If nothing else reporting the fraud gets it on the record.
    Ran out of vehicles on Saturday, have never seen that happen! Two folks made reservations Saturday morning but we only had enough vehicles for the reservations made by Friday afternoon. Folks weren't happy but it's really a computer error as one can't make a reservation and walk in an hour or two later and expect a vehicle waiting for them. Turns out that between 11:30 and noon, we had three folks return vehicles but one never knows. Felt kinda bad for those others but when I went to our other office to get my vehicle and clock ot, saw them both there waiting for a vehicle. The other store closes an hour later so they were sent over there.
    There was some kind of festival in Miami over the holiday weekend and both us and Enterprise ran out of vehicles so I heard. The computers only close out the "area" when this happens and doesn't do the individual locations which really sucks. The program should be able to close out those branches that have no extra vehicles so it's a more real time scenario. Asked about why it can't do that and was just told the computer program isn't that sophisticated, but seems to me, should be real time.
    I do know that some folks have argued because they didn't get the exact car in the pic that they ordered but if they had read the fine print, it would've shown, "or similar vehicle" as no way can we usually get exact vehicles. Honestly, we do the best we can and when we can, we do but it's not that easy. I know since I'm usually moving the vehicles around. We go to either maintenance or the new car area or the airport and we get vehicles if we can. Usually, one of these locations has a certain amount set aside for "HLE" locations, so we take those. But the logistics are quite interesting honestly. That's the main reason we go out of the area some times to get excess vehicles they have just sitting there. Ft. Myers, West Palm or Boca Raton are the usual out of area places we go but last week, it was Naples and a few months ago, Vero Beach. On those farther trips, we usually try to take as many folks as possible to make it worthwhile really. Going to Ft. Myers for just two vehicles sometimes really isn't worth it but if we're low on vehicles, usually end up with a short road trip, my favorite!
    That job I turned down months ago at Enterprise was only for my county, Broward County. That, the out of place meeting location and the lower pay/hour led me to turn it down. Once they advertised for a driver position within 5 miles of the house almost two weeks ago, I again applied for and am still waiting on the call! Doubt they will which is a shame as the location is so much closer to our house that I said I'd take a slight cut in pay to drive less miles and have no more tolls to pay. Guessing the guy who interviewed me is still pissed I didn't quit Hertz and jump ship back when. Not fair really as this job has a much better location for me which I stressed when I resent my resume. Guess they're still pissed off or the job location wasn't what they advertised for. They have corporate offices where the position called for, very close to where we live. And I would've left Hertz for it as I want to wind down my working within the next few months or so.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    edited October 2019
    stickguy said:

I really like the looks of the new ranger. Ford dealer by me has a row right on the road and I drove by them again today, and they always catch my eye. Might not feel same way if I drive one, from what I’ve read. Hopefully the updated model arrives soon. And doesn’t bloat up.

The editorial side of Edmunds just today released their assessment of midsize pickup trucks. I watched the video where they laid it all out. Their ranking:

1. Ridgeline
    2. Jeep Gladiator
    3. Tacoma
    4. and 5. Colorado/Canyon (tie)
    6. Ranger
    7. Frontier

I found it somewhat odd as they said the Ridgeline was #1 despite it not being real great offroad because it was good in the areas most users tend to find important, then put the next 2 choices where they did because of their off-road capabilities. I actually do think the Ridgeline is probably the best choice for most people given how folks tend to use these vehicles, but if you accept that as criteria #1 the next two don't deserve to be in those spots. Ah well.

The video laid out their reasons for ranking the Ranger below the others, but basically it came down to a dated feel to the vehicle and some less than sparkling design choices.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

pensfan83 said:

Uhhh, no. Zelle is a P2P payment platform similar to Venmo except it is managed by specific financial institutions, which your bank and my employer/my bank participates in. What she may have meant to say, albeit poorly, is that it's meant for family and friends you trust, which still doesn't make it any easier to hear.

Investigations into Zelle fraud are out of my space but given what needs to be supplied to enable transfers and the fact only limited banks participate, I would think it should be relatively easy to pinpoint the perpetrator.

I've used it to send money to my son.

Doesn't the end recipient have to download their account info to Zelle, to receive funds?

I don't know if it works that way, because he's never sent any money back the other direction. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    ab348 said:

The video laid out their reasons for ranking the Ranger below the others, but basically it came down to a dated feel to the vehicle and some less than sparking design choices.

Well, the good news for Ford is that this does not keep the vehicles from selling! I see them regularly now.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Ridgeline is likely best overall option. I’m not likely to tow or off road. Canyon could be nice too as a compromise. I’m not worried about dates styling choices, if it looks ok. But handling ride and braking do matter!

We have Colorado's/Canyons at work and they really are a blast to drive. Prefer them to the Silverado's any day. Drove a couple new Ram trucks last week and found them very enjoyable to drive. A bit too big for my tastes but fun they sure were. Brand new with the plastic still on the seats. But the Canyon/Colorado cousins are a much better size and easier to drive around town and especially park. Deep down, still lusting over a two door Jeep Wrangler hardtop to be totally honest. Know the mpg's suck big time, but they are a hoot to drive. Sure, too big for my side of the garage and super thirsty, but if those two issues were overcome, I'd sure love one as my d d.
    We've been getting in a bunch more 2019 models lately and instead of all of them going to the airport first, the HLE's are getting our fair share now and folks seem to like 'em. Most of the 2018 and earlier models are either going to wholesale or to TNC for Lyft/Uber use. We all love getting to pick up new vehicles with all the plastic inside and just license plates installed and the Mulrooney stickers on the dash or in it. Very nice to get a vehicle with 5 or 6 miles on the odometer and having to go to the respective airports to get filled up so we can take them to our offices. And they get all different makes and models to.

2 door wrangler is real short. Would fit easily. Only 164 inches, so about the size of the golf. Just make sure your back can stand the stiff ride!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Gotta disagree with you on one point, Sandy. If I made a reservation and was promised a car, and was told “they just ran out”, that would be the last time I’d use that company. And Hertz costs more too, so you expect better service. Not even the cheap companies like Budget or Dollar have done that to me.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I would lose my **** if that happened. Once they accepted the reservation, there better be a car there, or get me one real quick.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    To paraphrase the great philosopher, Seinfeld: "I know what a reservation is." "No, apparently you don't!"

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

The editorial side of Edmunds just today released their assessment of midsize pickup trucks. I watched the video where they laid it all out. Their ranking:

1. Ridgeline
    2. Jeep Gladiator
    3. Tacoma
    4. and 5. Colorado/Canyon (tie)
    6. Ranger
    7. Frontier

I found it somewhat odd as they said the Ridgeline was #1 despite it not being real great offroad because it was good in the areas most users tend to find important, then put the next 2 choices where they did because of their off-road capabilities. I actually do think the Ridgeline is probably the best choice for most people given how folks tend to use these vehicles, but if you accept that as criteria #1 the next two don't deserve to be in those spots. Ah well.

The video laid out their reasons for ranking the Ranger below the others, but basically it came down to a dated feel to the vehicle and some less than sparkling design choices.
    IIRC, Motorweek ran the same comparo; Ridgeline also #1. Jeep further down the list...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

They are ignoring the biggest factor. Tough guy image. Being better for what you actually use the truck for is less important for most people.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    stickguy said:

They are ignoring the biggest factor. Tough guy image. Being better for what you actually use the truck for is less important for most people.

No, I think that is why the Gladiator and the Tacoma are #2 and 3. Most people never take them off-road but like the image that they might. I don't understand the Gladiator at all. Expensive, paying for lots of stuff most will never use (removable doors, roof, and folding windshield) and as the Edmunds piece revealed, it needs some pricey aftermarket additions to make it actually work off-road.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

The test results accounts for best for purpose. Sales results factor in image.

@lorastata. Nice your son picks up his new ride tomorrow, and good you told him about all the clothes along with owning a vehicle. Yes you have to get on it and getting a new ride for yourself, I should speak for myself in here I’m worse.
    Nice write up from Edwins on the pick up trucks, every magazine has her own things with that but I mean they have the right idea what matters rough and tough image doesn’t matter to most, really wouldn’t matter for me.