Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Q, your stories are not leading me towards getting a cheaper used car to save money.

But now at least you know why it was for sale!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited October 2019
    The Charger is faultless thus far. :)

At least I got the equinox cheap. If I can fix the issues, I could potentially sell it for a profit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I thought that you had to order up a new head unit?

stickguy said:

I thought that you had to order up a new head unit?

But the old one works. I just want a BETTER one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oh wait. Correction, the microphone doesn’t work. That’s right.

Good luck with Chevy. Interesting that the codes keep changing. I can see clearing one when you fixed a problem, but not why that would create different ones.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @qb no you will get to the bottom of issues with the equinox just takes a bit of diagnosing which I know you’ll figure it out. Could be such a simple thing throwing all the codes but can’t wait to hear the report and update soon with that. Is it still drivable without any crazy issues? The charger is flawless though. I am glad to hear that.
    @ Corvette, that’s good that you can get a body control module from another car and put it in without bringing it to the dealer and good that locksmith or able to do that just have to find one ahead of time it has the software. I had a newer cars now you can only use the modules once in their garbage and you have to buy a new one but I’m glad with the G 37 you don’t have to. Keep me and everyone in here updated on this all I know you’ll get to the bottom of it.
    @jmonro. Now now, why can I drag you and everyone else into this, you’re all my friends right my virtual friends ha ha Ha. Won’t be fun if I don’t drag you all into this, just me alone no fun no fun no fun. Have a good day man and everyone else in here will check back in here tonight.
    @ Sandman, wow so they already replaced it once already the radio if he still having those issues, unfortunately it happens, but would qualify for the lemon buyback, I know it’s only a radio and nothing mechanical but still. Worth looking into.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    No, something like a faulty infotainment system wouldn't qualify under the Lemon Law as the vehicle is functioning as designed, no mechanical failures to speak of. And there's no danger that could be caused by this issue. No, it's a warranty issue that Chevy will just have to deal with. Luckily it happened before the first year was up so they have plenty of time to rectify the situation. Besides this small issue, she loves the vehicle. Looks beautiful in the darker blue and since it's an "RS" model, much of the trim is blacked out as are the Chevy bowties front and rear. It's also a fun vehicle to drive and has a decent stereo. I would of preferred the hatch personally and she went in thinking of only the hatch but found it to be a bit on the small side and wanted a bit bigger. Now for me, the smaller the better. But, it just hasn't hit me that it's the vehicle for me so I'm not looking at one anymore. But in the right color combo with the correct options, I could be tempted to switch out but know after a little bit of time, I'd regret that decision. And am not doing "a Tucson" as I call it now, getting a new vehicle I really shouldn't be buying! I'll know it when I see it, drive it...just like happened with my first drive in my Golf. I knew within 5 minutes that this would eventually be mine. Maybe not that year but eventually, I'd be owning a VW Golf. To me, it was that good.
    So far, haven't driven another vehicle where I got that same vibe besides that white Porsche I drove a few months back. It was pure joy and was magical once I mashed down on the accelerator. From a driving perspective, that Escape I drove yesterday was very impressive and fun. I got "that smile" on my face!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    mjfloyd1 said:

Successful Q7 punch. Great sales lady.

The Q7 with adaptive (air) suspension rides much better than the GL 350. Got 26 mpg averaging 80 mph. I must admit that the GL got about the same mileage but had a huge diesel tank - I did not refuel in the 500+ miles and had over 1/8 tank left when I arrived at the dealer.

Saved by Waze on the way down as there was apparently a horrible crash in Chattanooga that shut down both directions of traffic. It routed me to 41 and 5 miles later, I was on a very unbusy I 75.

Did take me over an hour (at 7 am) to get to the dealership and it was only 28 miles away from the hotel. Ugh

Hey, but all is well that ends well! Congrats on the new ride!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@qb no you will get to the bottom of issues with the equinox just takes a bit of diagnosing which I know you’ll figure it out. Could be such a simple thing throwing all the codes but can’t wait to hear the report and update soon with that. Is it still drivable without any crazy issues? The charger is flawless though. I am glad to hear that.

Thanks. Yes, I have been driving it around without any issues, other than the noisy bearings. Replaced one and now I think the other has quickly followed.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    edited October 2019
    The Prelude needs an e-brake adjustment and a rear tie rod end for safety inspection. Never heard of rear tie rod ends unless it's a 4 wheel steering car, which mine is not so maybe control arm assembly is a better way to describe it. He also said my oil cooler o ring seal has a slow leak but since it's going into storage in 3.5 weeks that's a punch list item for next spring.

Not a word on the exhaust.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Here's a winter special for Walt. Heck, depending on the price, I would take this for myself! Must be a pretty rare bird with a stick, and below 100K. Too bad no pictures yet!

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Subaru/2005-Subaru-Legacy+Wagon-cherry-hill-nj-db665df70a0e0a17036c5a0b0b067610.htm

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    stickguy said:

Here's a winter special for Walt. Heck, depending on the price, I would take this for myself! Must be a pretty rare bird with a stick, and below 100K. Too bad no pictures yet!

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Subaru/2005-Subaru-Legacy+Wagon-cherry-hill-nj-db665df70a0e0a17036c5a0b0b067610.htm

That thing is going to need head gasket, water pump, thermostat, and timing belt at a minimum unless there is documentation of it having been done. Awesome car though and doing those things will get you another 100k miles.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    My guess is an asking price around $9-10k depending on condition.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Yeah.. likely out of my desired price range ( under $5K)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I’ve noticed there are more cheap cars on FB, than CL.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I still haven't figured out a lot of those FB listings. Prices don't seem to be legit. But, I have never pursued one.

on that OB, is that one of those cars where unless you have good proof, you just bake those updates into your offer? Or can you just PPI, and if no problems are apparent, just run it and wait for signs of distress show up?

maybe not a good idea if failure is likely to be a quick hit, and catastrophic failure?

Crossed 500 miles on the i3 today. We are using it way more than I expected.
    I checked the RDX today since I had it out. close to 57,000 now. 7 years and a month old now.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Crossed 500 miles on the i3 today. We are using it way more than I expected.

I’ve had my Tacoma for one month today (23 to go, right CCBAers?) and have just over 2,500 miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Well, in fairness, you do have a commute.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

Well, in fairness, you do have a commute.

And hockey...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756

stickguy said:

That thing is going to need head gasket, water pump, thermostat, and timing belt at a minimum unless there is documentation of it having been done. Awesome car though and doing those things will get you another 100k miles.
    The XT engine doesn't have the same issues as the EJ25 when it comes to head gaskets. But, agreed that it will need a going through on other items given the age. Quite a unicorn, especially if it doesn't have a brutal past. I went looking for one several years ago, and they were not easy to come by in good condition.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    dang Bradd, you are going to be way over miles at this pace. And definitely not something that makes sense to buy at the end with an 85% residual (or something close to that)!

The commute is definitely part of it. Probably a little over 1,400 miles. My sons have had a few away games (West Haven - 100 miles RT, Newington - 150 miles RT, Bolton - 180 miles RT, Springfield - 205 miles RT) which is about 635 miles. Another 500 or so miles driving around town.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    You can average that back down though, can't you? Drive the Prelude on nice days?

My Volvo is actually a touch over already (150 miles) because of some trips to the shore and I also took it to MD on Wednesday. Swap cars with the wife for a few days here or there and it will get right back to where it should be or under. Her ride to the train station is 10 miles round trip.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Looks like I should be somewhere around 7,500-8,500 on the tlx at one year make. At about 6,600 at about 10 months. Depends on if I take another 600 mile RT to NY next weekend. Otherwise it sits around a lot during the week.

tjc78 said:

You can average that back down though, can't you? Drive the Prelude on nice days?

My Volvo is actually a touch over already (150 miles) because of some trips to the shore and I also took it to MD on Wednesday. Swap cars with the wife for a few days here or there and it will get right back to where it should be or under. Her ride to the train station is 10 miles round trip.

The Prelude is a non issue for now. It will need a new timing belt/ water pump/ balance shaft seals soon as well as new tires. If I had to drive it in an emergency, I wouldn't hesitate. Right now it is parked in my driveway under a blanket, resting comfortably. Maybe I'll have those issues addressed in the Spring.

When I had the Pilot last week to put new tires on it, my wife drove the Tacoma. She wasn't too enthusiastic about it to say the least. In fact, she said to me when we were out to dinner something to the effect of: "Enjoy your pickup for the next 2 years. I want you to get a car when the lease is up. I like having a car to drive."

I took the 15K per year lease KNOWING that I would go over the mileage. TFS only charges $.15 per mile if you go over.

.15 isn't bad. I know Volvo and a lot of other makes is .25.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    nyccarguy said:

When I had the Pilot last week to put new tires on it, my wife drove the Tacoma. She wasn't too enthusiastic about it to say the least. In fact, she said to me when we were out to dinner something to the effect of: "Enjoy your pickup for the next 2 years. I want you to get a car when the lease is up. I like having a car to drive."

Well, there. You've been TOLD. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@xwesx - Interesting regarding the XT engines - I've seen quite a few for sale locally over the last couple years that all seemed to have blown heads OR recently redone heads. Just assumed it was a Subaru thing.

I looked for one of these heavily when I was looking at the Viggen. I love all the hits in that series - the Legacy GT, Legacy GT Spec B, and Outback XT.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    My mileage has decreased dramatically since we moved.

But my wife's has gone the other way, as expected. She has put something around 4-5k miles on her Alltrack since acquiring it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2019
    nyccarguy said:

I’ve had my Tacoma for one month today (23 to go, right CCBAers?) and have just over 2,500 miles.

Very nice! I'm about to hit 10k after 10 months of ownership. I have 15k/yr so there's some cushion there but I've put almost 3k on the C30 since January so if I didn't have that I'd be closer to my limit.

I got a Canyon SLE as a rental while traveling for work this week, it was a 2WD V6, bright red and had about 11k miles on it. It's definitely faster than the Tacoma, but otherwise I prefer the Tacoma overall.

The wind noise at highway speed was some of worst I've heard in a long time. It was somewhere near the top of the driver's side windshield. At first I assumed it was a poor replacement job, but the windshield seemed original. I still can't get used to the low rent interior, I don't understand how GM produces such horrible interiors. My coworker traveling with me (who has also ridden in my Tacoma a few times) mentioned that the Tacoma is much better all around. It's a shame because I do like the styling, but the interior and overall quality were just a big letdown.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Got the winter wheel set on the A5 last week - the wheel spacers recommended by @mjfloyd1 made a huge difference in the overall look. Looks "right" now instead of last year when they looked just a bit funny.

Knowing I'll want to eventually replace said A5 with an SUV, I'm obviously browsing...

My brother has this same car in blue...Q5 3.0T:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/784798411/overview/

Or for a little more (and perhaps a little compromise on model year and/or miles) I could go back to an SQ5:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/785619483/overview/

Like most of us would be, I'm naturally drawn to the SQ5. But the somewhat more sedate Q5 with the 3.0T is attractive in its own right. If there was a larger price difference it'd be an easy decision, but since they're fairly close it's hard to ignore the extra touches on the S version.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    Glad the spacers worked out.

I just remembered that while driving through Georgia, I saw a non-hellcat Charger with a license plate that read
    HECKCAT
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

The Prelude is a non issue for now. It will need a new timing belt/ water pump/ balance shaft seals soon as well as new tires. If I had to drive it in an emergency, I wouldn't hesitate. Right now it is parked in my driveway under a blanket, resting comfortably. Maybe I'll have those issues addressed in the Spring.

I took the 15K per year lease KNOWING that I would go over the mileage. TFS only charges $.15 per mile if you go over.
    We have about 1,400 miles on ours, 12K/year allowance so already under the limit. That's funny about your wife not liking it, mine drives the Tacoma more than expected which is good because while I love the truck it is nice I don't have to wrestle the Acura from her.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Close to 29K on ours, and not quite 28 months old, so over by about 1200-1500 miles, with 8 months to go.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If I got a PU of any Dort, I doubt my wife would ever want to drive it. Which could be an issue if I ever need her car.

Pretty bad.
    tjc78 said:
    One good thing:
    A great hack isn’t a shortcut or a workaround; it’s the smart leveraging of information.

And, a lot of misinformation, sprinkled in with some actual truth.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not to mention, blatantly ripping off leasehackr.
    edited October 2019
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/bothell-2006-subaru-outback-25-xt/6991109058.html

Saw this for sale locally, if it is any indicator of the market for an Outback XT in Subadoo country. I think they're asking a bit much, but frankly good condition XTs with maintenance done are really hard to come by with the 5spd, even considering the high miles.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    Sigh.

Let's just hope that this article doesn't get a lot of eyballs - I fear that folks will read this, then show up in our threads and start asking ridiculous questions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

Sigh.

Let's just hope that this article doesn't get a lot of eyballs - I fear that folks will read this, then show up in our threads and start asking ridiculous questions.

It is from 2018 - I don't think you need to sweat it.
    I really like that model Sube. sounds like fun

Me too. Keep reminding myself I just sold the viggen because I have nowhere to park a third car.