Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/bothell-2006-subaru-outback-25-xt/6991109058.html

Saw this for sale locally, if it is any indicator of the market for an Outback XT in Subadoo country. I think they're asking a bit much, but frankly good condition XTs with maintenance done are really hard to come by with the 5spd, even considering the high miles.

caveat of course about condition and maintenance, but with only 94K miles, this does not seem like all that bad a price.

might swing by and put some eyeballs on it, just out of curiousity.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/Subaru/2005-Subaru-Legacy+Wagon-cherry-hill-nj-db665df70a0e0a17036c5a0b0b067610.htm

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Me too. Keep reminding myself I just sold the viggen because I have nowhere to park a third car.

I got plenty of room. Just zero need. But if say my TLX got totaled tonight, I would be over there tomorrow!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Depends on condition, but I think it'll sell pretty quickly at that price.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    If I lost my dedicated garage space I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. The car is in too good of condition to park outside and it's never seen a winter. I'd want it to go to someone who would appreciate it the same way I do.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    breld said:

Got the winter wheel set on the A5 last week - the wheel spacers recommended by @mjfloyd1 made a huge difference in the overall look. Looks "right" now instead of last year when they looked just a bit funny.

Knowing I'll want to eventually replace said A5 with an SUV, I'm obviously browsing...

My brother has this same car in blue...Q5 3.0T:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/784798411/overview/

Or for a little more (and perhaps a little compromise on model year and/or miles) I could go back to an SQ5:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/785619483/overview/

Like most of us would be, I'm naturally drawn to the SQ5. But the somewhat more sedate Q5 with the 3.0T is attractive in its own right. If there was a larger price difference it'd be an easy decision, but since they're fairly close it's hard to ignore the extra touches on the S version.

I don’t recall if you’ve had a Q5 in the past, but we really like ours. It is beautifully put together, comfortable, quiet, drives great and is decently quick with the 2.0T. We do miss the room of the Pilot at times, but no regrets.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Michaell said:

Sigh.

Let's just hope that this article doesn't get a lot of eyballs - I fear that folks will read this, then show up in our threads and start asking ridiculous questions.

It is from 2018 - I don't think you need to sweat it.
    did not seem that bad to me. a couple are not really appropriate, but the majority fall into the common sense of "understand what you are signing" territory.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited October 2019
    tjc78 said:
    It's not just you! They might as well have said "37 secrets THEY don't want you to know about paper towels!"
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Cancelled the OnStar tonight. Tech support essentially said "if the light is red, there's nothing we can do and you need to take it to a dealer." I told them I'd resubscribe if and when I was able to repair it at an affordable price.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    tjc78 said:
    And not a single actual “hack.” Just saying “you should know the residual” (and count it as 2 separate hacks, I might add) isn’t a hack. I’d be interested in getting 2 bits of info from this author:
    1. Tell me under which circumstances I can negotiate the residual.
    2. Tell me what leasing companies are also brokers.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    At 59,620 right now so 60K is coming up very soon. Have decided to renew the 3 year alignment policy and have to go pay for it tomorrow. My friend at T's P put it in the computer today so since mine runs out tomorrow, we're in good shape. The price went up a bit but what stuff really comes down in price? He asked how long I plan on keeping the Golf and said at least a year but who really knows. The policy is transferable once so we're o k with that. But as long as the Golf is behaving, not looking to cut it from the herd yet. Do plan on testing a Corolla hatch and a Mini Cooper again just to see if they could work. At the Chevy dealer yesterday, saw a 2016 BMW 328i with just about 40K asking price was $18K. Car was a silver over black with the sports seats. Looked very clean and the CarFax is clean also. Figure the price is pretty good and the mileage per year ain't that bad. But do I really want a used vehicle with 40K on the odo as things will probably need changing soon enough considering I'm averaging around 13K/year with my small commute.
    Still waiting on the Hyundai Venue to show up. Told it's been delayed because the new Sonata has been pushed back also and that one is coming out first. There's also the Hyundai Elantra GT but like the sportier model of that. Leaning towards a hatch again but that 328i keeps calling my name!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

there was a Hyundai SUV family ad on the TV tonight (baseball game), and they introduced the Venue. So must be arriving soon. I might stop at a dealer tomorrow to look at a Santa Fe (if the wife is in a good mood). If I do I I will ask them.

The 328 is also well above your self appointed garage length limit.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    sda said:

breld said:

Got the winter wheel set on the A5 last week - the wheel spacers recommended by @mjfloyd1 made a huge difference in the overall look. Looks "right" now instead of last year when they looked just a bit funny.

Knowing I'll want to eventually replace said A5 with an SUV, I'm obviously browsing...

My brother has this same car in blue...Q5 3.0T:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/784798411/overview/

Or for a little more (and perhaps a little compromise on model year and/or miles) I could go back to an SQ5:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/785619483/overview/

Like most of us would be, I'm naturally drawn to the SQ5. But the somewhat more sedate Q5 with the 3.0T is attractive in its own right. If there was a larger price difference it'd be an easy decision, but since they're fairly close it's hard to ignore the extra touches on the S version.

I don’t recall if you’ve had a Q5 in the past, but we really like ours. It is beautifully put together, comfortable, quiet, drives great and is decently quick with the 2.0T. We do miss the room of the Pilot at times, but no regrets.
    I had an SQ5 of the previous generation and was certainly impressed with it, and not just for the extra power and sporty character.

So a Q5 like yours is high on my list.

Speaking of which...

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I did get out this afternoon and drove these two vehicles:

https://www.audiflatirons.com/certified/Audi/2017-Audi-Q5-5725e5df0a0e0a6b739386e7ee467da5.htm

https://www.audiflatirons.com/used-inventory/index.htm?make=Mercedes-Benz&normalExteriorColor=&lastFacetInteracted=

The miles on the Q5 are a bit high, but it is certified. I really enjoyed driving it...it has a nice tight feel to it and accelerates nicely and is very responsive in sport mode. Compared to the A5, it’s obviously a bit outdated in the tech dept, but having owned several of the previous gen Audis, it was all very familiar...in a good way.

Didn’t someone here own a GLC (other than my wife’s 3 month experience)?

I really liked the GLC too. In a sea of black MBs, I like the bright blue. This one isn’t loaded with options, but has the ones I’d want - Burmester Sound, premium package, led lighting. For a 2018 with only 11k mikes, seems like a reasonable, if not good, price.

@qbrozen - what’s something like that going for at auction?

Drove in a new MB A Class today at work, we got 5 people in there! Drove very nicely and had ample power to move all of us quite briskly at times. Was a white over black unit. Saw another black over black unit at body damage later in the day. Starts at $33,400 which is a bit much for a base model. But think many will pay that and more to get their foot into the MB door. Would I...doubtful on a new unit...maybe on a lightly used unit.
    But again, my garage side size leaves only a bunch of vehicles I can look at and then purchase. And leaving one vehicle outside everyday is just not going to happen here unless we move to a condo as we discussed the other day.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    The thing with owning an "economy" luxe brand like M-B is that you still get to pay their high-end service rates once the warranty or service plan runs out. A friend was telling me of his recent sorry experience with his S-class W221 (I think it is a 2011 model). He complained of a rattle up front when turning the steering wheel. Dealer diagnosed it as a bad front control arm. $1200 later he had a new control arm but the rattle remained. He took it back and the dealer said it must be the arm on the opposite side and advised another $1200 repair. He resisted and complained that they had done an unnecessary replacement and wasn't going to let that happen again. Finally a different mechanic at the dealer went over it more carefully and found 3 loose bolts somewhere in the front end. Tightening them eliminated the rattle but he was still out the $1200.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

breld said:

https://www.audiflatirons.com/certified/Audi/2017-Audi-Q5-5725e5df0a0e0a6b739386e7ee467da5.htm

https://www.audiflatirons.com/used-inventory/index.htm?make=Mercedes-Benz&normalExteriorColor=&lastFacetInteracted=

The miles on the Q5 are a bit high, but it is certified. I really enjoyed driving it...it has a nice tight feel to it and accelerates nicely and is very responsive in sport mode. Compared to the A5, it’s obviously a bit outdated in the tech dept, but having owned several of the previous gen Audis, it was all very familiar...in a good way.

I really liked the GLC too. In a sea of black MBs, I like the bright blue. This one isn’t loaded with options, but has the ones I’d want - Burmester Sound, premium package, led lighting. For a 2018 with only 11k mikes, seems like a reasonable, if not good, price.

About $33k.
    What did you get for the wife’s?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

the blue on that MB really is something. The Audi is attractive, but the interior tech is a bit old fashioned. Kinda reminds me of a better quipped version of our RDX. At this point unless I was shopping the really cheap end of the spectrum (like QB with the Equinox) I don't want to get a prior generation model and regret not having the latest goodies. My wife even comments that the RDX looks/smells like an "old car" now. But she still likes it (paid for, and she knows how to use everything, since there is not much to use).

Same dilemma I had with the Volvo V60CC I found (2018). Compared to the new models, it looked like an antique inside. But it was a lot cheaper! Just hard to commit to something for a long time, if it already feels outdated at the beginning.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    @breld - I really like that Q5. Very sharp color combination. I am curious as to the Audi CPO warranty:

* Limited Warranty: 12 Month/Unlimited Mile beginning after new car warranty expires or from certified purchase date

You are only going to have it for a few months anyway, so what is the difference how long the CPO warranty is?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    MB CPO is unlimited miles and you can choose 1,2 or 3 years for extra cost. No deductible.

It more than paid for itself on my wife’s GL 350 with 2 modules replaced in a headlight/ turn signal assembly and then later with alternator, all pulleys and serpentine belt replacement.
    stickguy said:

the blue on that MB really is something. The Audi is attractive, but the interior tech is a bit old fashioned. Kinda reminds me of a better quipped version of our RDX. At this point unless I was shopping the really cheap end of the spectrum (like QB with the Equinox) I don't want to get a prior generation model and regret not having the latest goodies. My wife even comments that the RDX looks/smells like an "old car" now. But she still likes it (paid for, and she knows how to use everything, since there is not much to use).

Same dilemma I had with the Volvo V60CC I found (2018). Compared to the new models, it looked like an antique inside. But it was a lot cheaper! Just hard to commit to something for a long time, if it already feels outdated at the beginning.

What did Terry say when he was still on this forum? “No sale green and no sale blue”. IIRC😂
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Blue was fine. It was no sale green.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    most blues. those really bright ones though can turn off a lot of buyers.

I happen to like green. Would happily buy another BRG shade.

For me, the black interior on that M-B is a bigger turn off than the blue outside, though it does look a bit bright an un-Mercedes-like.

the Germans really do know how to make a black interior particularly dour. I have no desire to go down that path.

I love my silk blue color on the Golf, don't see to many of them either and goes well with the ivory interior. I still really really like it and though was pretty pissed at the price to fix the front drivers door lock, it drives very smoothly and by putting the gear selector in "S" mode when merging into traffic, it does away with that slight turbo lag it has. The rpm's go down once I shift back into "D" mode and all is well. That turbo lag is quite annoying though and my only real complaint after almost 5 years of ownership.
    Stopped by Tires Plus on the way in this morning and paid for the new 3-year alignment policy, a 4 wheel alignment, and it was $129 plus taxes and fees. Transferable to another vehicle one time which should work out just fine. I'd say at this point that within a couple of years, I'll have something else parked where ever we are at that time. Will be hitting 60K before weeks end which still puts me at about 12,500/year mileage, give or take. Just hoping nothing big goes wrong within the next 18 or so months.
    But honestly, if I do find something that really blows my socks off between now and then, of course I'd swoop in and buy it. But it's gonna have to put that sh-t eating grin on my face like the Golf did during my first test drive. I knew within about 5 minutes that this was gonna be mine one day though it happened much sooner than I actually thought. No regrets even now. And the new Eagle GT's make it ride super smooth especially in the recent downpours we've been having...feel very secure in all kinds of driving truthfully. Probably would've ended up with Firestone Firehawk GT's if I had bought at Tires Plus but extremely happy with what I've got now.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I pity the fool who takes an out of warranty aging MB to a dealer for major repairs. These cars are why good indy shops exist. Those cars probably have more plumbing and wiring than the average house, and at the same time can be like caring for a stone Victorian era mansion built on a slumping hillside (and W221 is worlds easier to live with than a W220).

You are right though, old ones cost as much to maintain as new ones, just because they age doesn't mean they lose complexity. The price paid for pioneering bleeding edge tech.
    ab348 said:

The thing with owning an "economy" luxe brand like M-B is that you still get to pay their high-end service rates once the warranty or service plan runs out. A friend was telling me of his recent sorry experience with his S-class W221 (I think it is a 2011 model). He complained of a rattle up front when turning the steering wheel. Dealer diagnosed it as a bad front control arm. $1200 later he had a new control arm but the rattle remained. He took it back and the dealer said it must be the arm on the opposite side and advised another $1200 repair. He resisted and complained that they had done an unnecessary replacement and wasn't going to let that happen again. Finally a different mechanic at the dealer went over it more carefully and found 3 loose bolts somewhere in the front end. Tightening them eliminated the rattle but he was still out the $1200.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    It'll be closer to 40K (MSRP anyway, and with these going into fleets, they won't sell near that) equipped like most would want. I do like how the LED gauges are standard. I'd expect depreciation like a CLA.

Drove in a new MB A Class today at work, we got 5 people in there! Drove very nicely and had ample power to move all of us quite briskly at times. Was a white over black unit. Saw another black over black unit at body damage later in the day. Starts at $33,400 which is a bit much for a base model. But think many will pay that and more to get their foot into the MB door. Would I...doubtful on a new unit...maybe on a lightly used unit.
    But again, my garage side size leaves only a bunch of vehicles I can look at and then purchase. And leaving one vehicle outside everyday is just not going to happen here unless we move to a condo as we discussed the other day.

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    breld said:

That's me! We have a 2017 GLC - black on black. $33K seems very fair, as we paid $38K in 2018. So far it's been reliable - only one issue that required two trips to the dealer because the part was on backorder. I am still worried about the long-term reliability of it though, so will most likely get the extended warranty for $1,750.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    I know those bright blues I Toyota uses some other brands not crazy about them. I know two people that have Peyer generation RAV4’s with an ugly bright blue color. I love my red, and darker shades of blue. Not bright blue. My uncle used to have an accord in the early 90s with that ugly white blue.
    @qqb you are welcome isn’t that the way it usually goes when one feels the other one not long after ha ha Ha. But I know what I said in the other page the other day you got this. i’m glad it’s running well otherwise.
    @ Broiled, so the 25 is leaving the fleet and you’re getting an SUV soon?
    @ New York car guy, wow I know with your commute you back on the miles quick. But now you know for next time the wife told you ha ha Ha to get a car again ha ha Ha.
    @ Sandman, nice I’m getting the alignment package again yeah take your time and see which car do you like, might as will start from now slowly. Unless something really comes along and makes you smile as much as the cough like you said then go for it. But for now take it slow. Man that BMW like too bad doesn’t fit in your garage girls I know that would be the one to replace the golf.
    @ Send man, how was the visit this weekend with all your daughters? Well my bad I should say your daughters, I make it sound like you have 1 million kids ha ha Ha. What is the radio fixed on your daughters cruise?
    @ Send a man, kind of figured purchased a radio doesn’t affect any other systems on the car, and yeah it’s just I think that Chevy has a deal with with the warranty, but figured I’d ask you never know. Ha ha but I’m glad it’s a good car for her. Yeah I remember you mentioning about that Porsche a couple of months back to me to smile that’s only car besides the golf team drive daily. Have to see on that venue want to check it out to when it comes out just cause I can. Hopefully maybe by the beginning of next year or the end of this year. It will come out! Is your other daughter thinking about a car replacement or just not yet for a while. How about the wife? Figured I’d ask Bing what board this is.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    rny421 said:

breld said:

That's me! We have a 2017 GLC - black on black. $33K seems very fair, as we paid $38K in 2018. So far it's been reliable - only one issue that required two trips to the dealer because the part was on backorder. I am still worried about the long-term reliability of it though, so will most likely get the extended warranty for $1,750.
    Similar to me. Had a 2018 GLC in brilliant blue over beige that I kept for 18 mos. It had all the toys and the Burmester audio which I thought was quite good but not great, at least to my ears.

Yup. Just a matter of time.

qbrozen said:

breld said:

About $33k.
    What did you get for the wife’s?
    Hmm...so the $33k price is really good.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Uh oh.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    My sister has a GLC & is happy with it so far.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

fintail said:

I pity the fool who takes an out of warranty aging MB to a dealer for major repairs. These cars are why good indy shops exist.

I asked him that, since we have a good M-B indy shop here. His response was they were just about as expensive as the dealer, but I think that was a rationalization on his part. He tends to be overly trusting and loyal and probably had undue faith that the dealer would treat him right.

breld said:

Yup. Just a matter of time.
    NO PUNCH YEAR???

Bwahahahahahaha

next step is he posts on the RWTIV thread looking for a value on an A5. Then tomorrow makes the swap.

Well, Q already gave me a value on the A5 a couple months back when we weren't sure which vehicle was going away for the Alltrack. So I can go off that. :)

And dealerships are closed on Sundays here, so no can do. And then we leave on our TCM (Turner Classic Movies) cruise on Monday, so I'll at least be put off for another week!

Did do a good amount of browsing today with @jpp75 and @michaell...
    • Grand Cherokee - drove a 2016 Overland model (V6). Love the rugged looks of the Jeep and the somewhat "raw" feel of the naturally aspirated V6 (like my first Durango). There's a lot to like in the Jeep, but not sure I want one out of warranty, much less with the air suspension.
    • X5 (xdrive 40e) - these PHEV models seems to be coming back from lease and at attractive prices. Not surprisingly, since we liked our previous X5, I found this very familiar (in a good way). A top choice for sure. Unfortunately, when you go back a few years, BMW was a bit stingy on safety features like BLIS, so hard to find a 2016-2017 model with those things.
    • X3 - took a 2019 (slightly used) model out. It's nice, but for my needs, I don't need to spend that much for the new model. I'd rather spend less on an older Q5 or the GLC.
    • Honda Passport - as expected, very functional. Drove very smooth. Just not that exciting. But a nice package for about the same price as a 3 year old X5.
    All that just got me more undecided on whether I want to go with something a bit larger, like the X5, Passport or Grand Cherokee, or stick with the compacts I've been considering (Q5, GLC...maybe an XC60?).

New XC60 is very nice. But a lot more expensive then the prior generation since they are a big upgrade, and don't go very far back.

I really want to try out an X3. Something like you drove (maybe a service loaner) to help with the budget. For us though, it would be the primary do everything car, and a long term hold. I did park next to a prior version and it was nice, but I think the newest ones are a lot nicer. It is on the short list.

wife nixed the Passport. Too big and bulky. we definitely aren't going up into that larger class (well, OB is longer, but still a more compact car if that makes sense!)

The X3 we drove was good looking - phytonic blue with a mocha interior. Very rich. Definitely lacked one thing you couldn't live without @stickguy - no sunroof!

breld said:

• Grand Cherokee - drove a 2016 Overland model (V6). Love the rugged looks of the Jeep and the somewhat "raw" feel of the naturally aspirated V6 (like my first Durango). There's a lot to like in the Jeep, but not sure I want one out of warranty, much less with the air suspension.
    • X5 (xdrive 40e) - these PHEV models seems to be coming back from lease and at attractive prices. Not surprisingly, since we liked our previous X5, I found this very familiar (in a good way). A top choice for sure. Unfortunately, when you go back a few years, BMW was a bit stingy on safety features like BLIS, so hard to find a 2016-2017 model with those things.
    • X3 - took a 2019 (slightly used) model out. It's nice, but for my needs, I don't need to spend that much for the new model. I'd rather spend less on an older Q5 or the GLC.
    • Honda Passport - as expected, very functional. Drove very smooth. Just not that exciting. But a nice package for about the same price as a 3 year old X5.
    All that just got me more undecided on whether I want to go with something a bit larger, like the X5, Passport or Grand Cherokee, or stick with the compacts I've been considering (Q5, GLC...maybe an XC60?).
    Just to throw a curveball... if I was looking at a V6 cherokee and passport, I’d at least take a gander at a Blazer.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    breld said:

I drove an X5 xDrive40e quite a bit when I worked at BMW; I could average 30 mpg with judicious use of the various power modes. Too big for me however.
    If I was buying an SUV to replace the 2er(fat chance) it would definitely be either an X3 M40i or an X3 M Competition.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive