Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    Long day, as @breld noted. My head hurt when it was all said and done, and I'm not even doing the shopping.

We decided that the interior by Playskool nixed the Blazer. In addition to the BMW and Honda stores- next to each other, how convenient - we also stopped at a CarMax and saw the V90 CC that was posted a week or so back. Beautiful car, marred by an odd exterior color. Wandered the lot, then I think we all hit a wall.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    I was fortunate enough to drive the A5 home from CarMax - I got picked up this morning. That is one nice car, but I sort of understand why the exchange may happen - it's like a bigger, slightly softer, automatic version of the GTI.

More diversity in the fleet is a good thing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    breld said:

And dealerships are closed on Sundays here, so no can do. And then we leave on our TCM (Turner Classic Movies) cruise on Monday, so I'll at least be put off for another week!

Where there's a breld, there's a way! I can't imagine a small inconvenience like a vacation or a dealership being closed would stand in the way of you making a deal.
    stickguy said:

New XC60 is very nice. But a lot more expensive then the prior generation since they are a big upgrade, and don't go very far back.

My mom is not really a car enthusiast. Her comment on the previous generation XC60, before they bought their Q5, was "if we can buy a brand new one for half of MSRP, I'd be willing to take it." :p
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    As evidenced by some recent purchases here on the board, Audi did really well with the Q5. I wasn't shocked, but a bit surprised at how much I enjoyed the drive of the previous gen model yesterday. The new one naturally has some nice updates on the interior and tech options, but the overall driving experience is not noticeably better (which simply speaks well of the old version, which has been around for quite awhile).

The 2.0T had enough power, but my target could be the not as ubiquitous 3.0T version - the engine from my Q7 in the more compact package could be very engaging.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    I might swing the wife by the Audi dealer to scope one out. I doubt she would ever go with it. Not a big VW or Audi fan to start with, and I am not sure I want to commit to one for 8-10 years. Cost is the other issue. Pricey to buy new, and not a cheap lease either. So that leaves buying CPO, which seem to still be on the expensive side, and she really would prefer brand new.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    Around here anyway, for routine servicing, the dealer and a good indy might indeed be similarly priced, and the dealer might even be a better deal as it will be faster (I seldom wait more than 2 hours at the dealer, while the indy is "we'll do it when we do it"). But for any real repairs, I think the labor rate at the indy is significantly less, it adds up. My local dealer is Autonation, who has had immense employee turnover since it changed hands from a family business, where I've been going to the indy for nearly 15 years, all that matters too.
    ab348 said:

I asked him that, since we have a good M-B indy shop here. His response was they were just about as expensive as the dealer, but I think that was a rationalization on his part. He tends to be overly trusting and loyal and probably had undue faith that the dealer would treat him right.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    @breld- have fun on your cruise!

You are a car buying machine - the epitome of CCBA!

I can only imagine what I would be like if I lived where there were so many car dealerships with nice cars but alas I live in a town of 60,000 plus 40,000 college students so I have my choice of Audi, VW, Subadoo, Honda, Hyundai, Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, KIA, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler, Jeep, Toyota, Mazda, or Volvo.

So only high end is Audi. They still have 9 2019 Q7 on the lot with over $9000 discount so I’m assuming that the 2020 vehicles are on the way. Is it just me or are the new model year cars showing up later?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Michaell said:

Long day, as @breld noted. My head hurt when it was all said and done, and I'm not even doing the shopping.

We decided that the interior by Playskool nixed the Blazer. In addition to the BMW and Honda stores- next to each other, how convenient - we also stopped at a CarMax and saw the V90 CC that was posted a week or so back. Beautiful car, marred by an odd exterior color. Wandered the lot, then I think we all hit a wall.

So you did look at a Blazer? Any other opinions? I haven’t seen the inside of one yet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

So you did look at a Blazer? Any other opinions? I haven’t seen the inside of one yet.
    I wondered the same. I saw one on the road and it looked pretty nice.

The description of “playskool” interior gives me pause
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

Which platform is the Blazer built on? Is it an Equinox? Malibu?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

Which platform is the Blazer built on? Is it an Equinox? Malibu?
    C1 platform that debuted in 2017 on the XT5 and is under the Acadia as well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I think the Blazer is on the Equinox platform. But don't make me swear to it. Pretty sure though it is just a butched up soft roader (like the Passport off the Pilot).

I thought that the Blazer kinda stole the Camaro interior look? But in any case, not something you are buying because you want the look and feel of an Audi or Volvo.

Floyd, you broke Lincoln and Cadillac's heart not counting them as high end!

@stickguy- I’m good with that!
    We didn't look at or drive the Blazer. It's not something on my radar, but @jpp75 and @michaell took a close look at it at the car show earlier this year and were (obviously) unimpressed.

mjfloyd1 said:

@breld- have fun on your cruise!

You are a car buying machine - the epitome of CCBA!

I can only imagine what I would be like if I lived where there were so many car dealerships with nice cars but alas I live in a town of 60,000 plus 40,000 college students so I have my choice of Audi, VW, Subadoo, Honda, Hyundai, Chevy, GMC, Cadillac, KIA, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler, Jeep, Toyota, Mazda, or Volvo.

So only high end is Audi. They still have 9 2019 Q7 on the lot with over $9000 discount so I’m assuming that the 2020 vehicles are on the way. Is it just me or are the new model year cars showing up later?

Thanks (regarding the cruise)!

Not so much a buying machine this year, but I take that as a good sign that I may be getting a little less crazy and impulsive. Unfortunately, it probably has more to do with my consumer instincts being consumed for most of the year with the home buying and moving process.

@mjfloyd1 - so how is the experience thus far with the Q7? Despite choosing to trade mine in, I still think it's about the best SUV out there.

It'd be easy to make the argument that I should have kept the Q7 and traded the A5 for the wife's Alltrack. But I think I'd still be in the same place - with the change in my driving routine and virtually no need for the 3rd row anymore, I'd be looking to reduce our car debt with a less expensive SUV anyway.

But man, that Q7 was a dream.

so if the Q7 was too much car/money, doesn't make much sense to be looking at an X5. The Q5 seems to be where this is headed (though a nice X3 for some variety sounds good too!)

stickguy said:

Floyd, you broke Lincoln and Cadillac's heart not counting them as high end!

And Volvo!
    My wife did think the XC90 was nice, but thought the Q7 was “sportier”. I don’t get that at all, but the Q7 was what she wanted so that’s what I got.
    a full scholarship to a school you want to go to anyway would be amazing. Even a bit extra like $5k is a nice bonus.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    mjfloyd1 said:

As a proud dad moment, my oldest got a 1350 SAT which is good but looking at merit scholarships, the cutoff for another approx $5K per year was 1360 so she took it again and scored a 1360. They allow you to group your best math and best English scores and her new “super score” is 1420.

Also found out that she is a finalist for the Eli Lilly endowment scholarship for our county in IN so she has a 20% chance at a full tuition paid for four years to any public or private college / university in IN. That would be great but I’m not counting on it as there are 9 other great candidates. She has an interview next week!

Congrats on the SAT score!

Unfortunately, they have to perform, once they get there. Our scholarship joy only lasted one year. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

mjfloyd1 said:

As a proud dad moment, my oldest got a 1350 SAT which is good but looking at merit scholarships, the cutoff for another approx $5K per year was 1360 so she took it again and scored a 1360. They allow you to group your best math and best English scores and her new “super score” is 1420.

Also found out that she is a finalist for the Eli Lilly endowment scholarship for our county in IN so she has a 20% chance at a full tuition paid for four years to any public or private college / university in IN. That would be great but I’m not counting on it as there are 9 other great candidates. She has an interview next week!

That's great! Congrats!

stickguy said:

so if the Q7 was too much car/money, doesn't make much sense to be looking at an X5. The Q5 seems to be where this is headed (though a nice X3 for some variety sounds good too!)

Maybe. Cost-wise, these CPO X5's off lease return are up to $10k less than what my Q7 was worth on trade, so a reasonable step down in that way.

Then I'm thinking...hey, if a Q5 is too similar to the GTI in driving dynamics, maybe the answer is to get the Q5 and change up the fun car...like maybe an M235i or something!

Oh, the wheels never stop spinning. :)

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Unfortunately, they have to perform, once they get there. Our scholarship joy only lasted one year. :(
    Ugh

It looks like she needs to keep a 3.5 to keep the merit scholarship at the schools. I honestly wasn’t expecting the Lilly to be in play so I have not even checked into that.

She takes AP and honors courses and has a 4.2 on a 4 point scale while being the #1 golfer and is on the cheer and competitive cheer teams. She already has some college credit from taking the exams for her AP courses. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and knows that she wants to go to a smallish school near home so it looks like DePauw in Greencastle IN (although I think she would be bored out of her head there) or Butler in Indy. My wife is taking her to a cheer clinic at Butler today.

Time will tell what she chooses. It appears that DePauw is better with merit scholarships and she has many friends there, but Butler has a PA school so...
    breld said:

stickguy said:

Maybe. Cost-wise, these CPO X5's off lease return are up to $10k less than what my Q7 was worth on trade, so a reasonable step down in that way.

Then I'm thinking...hey, if a Q5 is too similar to the GTI in driving dynamics, maybe the answer is to get the Q5 and change up the fun car...like maybe an M235i or something!

Well, to me, a better plan is to keep the GTI and go with a hot rod X3 if the 2.0t isn't enough for you.

edited October 2019
    breld said:

stickguy said:

I am slowly learning to buy what I like and keep it. I used to read car magazines all the time and get “car envy”, but I’m older and hopefully wiser. But I still do stupid things well just because I can, I guess

Here is a link to where I bought the Q7. They seem to be pretty high volume. The sales lady said they get lots of lease returns and recently got some really low mileage vehicles from customers who could not afford the notes. That’s sad.

https://www.nalleybmw.com/certified-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=certified&year=&model=&bodyStyle=&odometer=&internetPrice=&start=0&sort=&facetbrowse=true&searchLinkText=SEARCH&showInvTotals=false&showRadius=false&showReset=false&showSubmit=true&facetbrowseGridUnit=BLANK&showSelections=true&dependencies=model:make,city:province,city:state&suppressAllConditions=true&newListingAlias=/new-inventory/index.htm&usedListingAlias=/used-inventory/index.htm&certifiedListingAlias=/certified-inventory/index.htm
    I want to do stupid things. Just can't afford it! Keeping long term does have some benefits. Usually financial of course. But also less stress with searching and buying! the wife in particular likes that, since she gets stressed having to learn all new controls and tech. And the new stuff in particular might be too much for her. She hasn't figured out much of what the TLX does, and that is pretty straight forward for a loaded car these days. So she just drives it without touching anything!

key is, make sure you are getting something really nice and not compromising, so you don't get tired of it right away. And buy something that will last.

@breld. - I can tell you that taking a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon to Chicago vs driving the Q7 from Atlanta was a night and day comparison. They wanted the GL to have less than 95K miles for some odd reason...
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ”You are a car buying machine - the epitome of CCBA!”

Yes,@mjfloyd1, he is the Grand Poobah of the CCBA, but has been on sabbatical this year :) .

stickguy said:

breld said:

stickguy said:

Well, to me, a better plan is to keep the GTI and go with a hot rod X3 if the 2.0t isn't enough for you.
    Oh well, now that you mention it, this doesn't seem to be priced all that badly.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783871098/overview/

no pictures, but they have a fairly basic white one for not too bad a price. Odd thing is that it is an S drive. You would never see that up here in the NE

https://www.nalleybmw.com/certified/BMW/2019-BMW-X3-in+Atlanta-f54e57120a0d0c1407a31ced03392168.htm

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    @breld — “I’m getting less impulsive.” 😂😂😂😂😂 The year still has 2 months to go!
    Regarding “not that many dealerships”. Where I lived in rural Ohio, there were 3 — count em — THREE. GM, Jeep, and Ford. And that was in a town that was the county seat! Fortunately the capital city was just an hour’s drive away.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I must agree. We have lots of dealers, just not dealers for cars that I am looking for.

Local Audi dealer has great pricing on new Audis generally but their used car prices are typically $3000 high.

They tend to not play fair with the Chinese students price wise and take advantage of them when they want to sell their nicer cars before returning home.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @breld nice nice! Cant. Wate. For the punch. Like always!
    got bored so browsing around.

this looks like something QB would like. A luxury upgrade big hot rod sedan, in case want to upgrade the kids to 1st class in the second row!

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2014-jaguar-xj-4dr_sedan_xjl_portfolio_awd-used-sajwj2gd8e8v70463.html

this looks like a good kids car for HS/college. Cheap, lots of life left, and not very fast but great gas mileage. Could easily get it for your 17 YO HS senior, and run it right through college graduation.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2016-scion-im-5dr_hatchback_cvt-used-jtnkarje2gj514534.html

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited October 2019
    This popped up locally. Seems a bit much especially given how bad the driver seat is worn. Also no mention of the angle gear.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2005-volvo-v70r-6mt-manual/7002911207.html
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I have no clue what the market on these is now, but I do like that one. Just never cared for the beige interior with gray paint. Should be Nordkap (that's the dark blue, right?) and I think it is pretty common for the leather to do this, especially if not maintained regularly. Would be surprising if the angle gear made it this long. Maybe that was an earlier repair. If not, something to budget for!

Love the huge cargo area. A box is still the best shape for a utility vehicle. And that 3rd row seat gives me a laugh.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I love it for $8-$9k. Not $13.5.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    that what these go for now? I would have a tough time saying no at $8k if it passed a PPI. Though I know that they all have needs, no matter how perfect. And I am not really enough of a DIYer to make that affordable.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    mjfloyd1 said:

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Ugh

It looks like she needs to keep a 3.5 to keep the merit scholarship at the schools. I honestly wasn’t expecting the Lilly to be in play so I have not even checked into that.

She takes AP and honors courses and has a 4.2 on a 4 point scale while being the #1 golfer and is on the cheer and competitive cheer teams. She already has some college credit from taking the exams for her AP courses. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and knows that she wants to go to a smallish school near home so it looks like DePauw in Greencastle IN (although I think she would be bored out of her head there) or Butler in Indy. My wife is taking her to a cheer clinic at Butler today.

Time will tell what she chooses. It appears that DePauw is better with merit scholarships and she has many friends there, but Butler has a PA school so...
    My son didn't have all of that good stuff... just monster test scores and 34 hours of AP credit.

I can't think of a less diverse place to go to school than Depauw. Going away to college already puts you in the top 10%, but Depauw is off the charts for rich kids. No commentary on the quality of education there, however. (or, your ability to send her there) Just my $0.02.

My son learned a lot by going to school on an urban campus. At least with Butler, you get the benefit of living in the city. (if I was picking.. lol) I went to Hanover for a short time, back when the earth was still warm. Going to Madison was big entertainment.. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Undergrad was a cake walk - kept my academic scholarship (full ride) all four years. Only kept my law school scholarship the first year (it would’ve been reduced to half after the first year anyway, UK is stingy with their scholarships like that).
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    @mjfloyd1 - congrats! Thanks for sharing! You must be extremely proud!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited October 2019
    529 is well funded so I’d like her to be able to pay for grad school with what is left.

I really just need her to find a place that she will be happy honestly

I went to the University of Evansville undergrad and kind of hoped that she would go there because they have direct admit to PA school or IU school of medicine if you keep your gpa up - assuming MCAT or Grad school testing scores are up to snuff.

But the facilities don’t compare to DePauw or Butler...

I understand what you are saying about diversity but her high school is quite diverse so this will be a rare time that I just shut up.
    nyccarguy said:

@mjfloyd1 - congrats! Thanks for sharing! You must be extremely proud!

Thanks.

The best part is that she is really a great kid!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    @mjfloyd1,
    Making an assumption that PA is Physicians Assistant?
    One of my kids wanted to be a doctor, so we sent her to a kind of 'Space Camp' for future doctors.
    As soon as she saw blood, she fainted, so change of career. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    A PA is a pretty recent career track(?), but can be a pretty good one.
    Whatever school your child gets into, the most important thing is what they do when they get there.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert