Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    There is no accounting for taste. The more I look at what's posted here, the more I believe that.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    venture said:

When leaving the grocery store this evening I noticed a bright yellow Pinto sitting there. There was an older couple getting in it. It was in like new condition. It had to be restored...but why? :smile:

Sentimental reasons? could have been original owners. Slim chance it was just so babied and protected over the years that it was nor restored.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I have no problems with people fixing up or buying a restored plain old or unloved car, because it means something to them. Usually from their childhood, or maybe first car. If I got a Volvo 140 or a Gremlin, that would be why!

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

There is no accounting for taste. The more I look at what's posted here, the more I believe that.

I used to think I was quite good at deciphering code, but after reading your above post, I guess I stink at it. Sure wish I knew the context you used to write your comment about "...no accounting for taste,,,"! Could you help me out with that context? Thanks! 😛

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    My iPad upgraded to the latest OS today. After it is done, Apple runs a intro to all the new features. I went thru it and either can’t see myself using them or in many cases, cannot understand even what value they bring. So many of them require you to remember how many fingers to use, in what direction to swipe or whatever, that I just can’t imagine people being able to keep it all straight in their heads.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    venture said:

When leaving the grocery store this evening I noticed a bright yellow Pinto sitting there. There was an older couple getting in it. It was in like new condition. It had to be restored...but why? :smile:

“I think I’m the only guy crazy enough to rotisserie restore a Pinto”

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    well, I guess if you are going to restore a Pinto, the cruising wagon is the one to restore.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Back in the 80s, my dad wanted to find a Cruisin Wagon as a metal detecting gear hauler. Even then, it was almost impossible to find a really nice one, so it never happened. Definitely the one to have now.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    omarman said:

venture said:

Was that an actual model or did you build that rear compartment? I kind of thought the same, why restore a Pinto, or the Ford Foulcar, I mean Falcon, but, sometimes the cars we used to think weren't much become gems later in life......like an Edsel. The Pinto is cool....looks like it would be fun to drive.
    Even a Falcon....which wasn't on anyone's dream car list at the time, could look really smart when decked out....63 Futura:

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

omarman said:

venture said:

Was that an actual model or did you build that rear compartment? I kind of thought the same, why restore a Pinto, or the Ford Foulcar, I mean Falcon, but, sometimes the cars we used to think weren't much become gems later in life......like an Edsel. The Pinto is cool....looks like it would be fun to drive.
    Even a Falcon....which wasn't on anyone's dream car list at the time, could look really smart when decked out....63 Futura:

When I was in high school I knew someone with a late 60s Falcon with a 302 CID V8. It was a pretty fun car, at least for high school students. B)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

A V8 falcon was pretty much a boxy mustang, so certainly could be made to be quick, and even handle OK

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited October 2019
    Hers are some shots from our week at the 50th Annual BMW CCA Oktoberfest:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Was your club sport there, or the 2 series?

The 2 Series- it's in the 4th picture.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Looks like a blast, @roadburner!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    How was everyone's weekend? We had a really nice anniversary weekend that was capped with an absolute abomination of an Eagles game.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited October 2019
    It was a great one. Nice relaxing day on Sat at the campground, followed by a great dinner in Sea Isle. Yesterday was a lazy day since it poured all day. Kid's got a little stir crazy toward dinner time, but that's understandable.

Sad that we have to winterize next weekend and then no weekend getaway until April.

I've lined up plenty of projects for the winter.. maybe even some of them will be done!

And yes... the Cowgirls destroyed us, no other words for it :angry:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    @roadburner
    Great pics, looked like a fun time.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Looks like a blast, @roadburner!

It really was, my wife came along and our son joined us on Wednesday. It was good to see a lot of friends I've made since I joined way back in 1982.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

How was everyone's weekend? We had a really nice anniversary weekend that was capped with an absolute abomination of an Eagles game.

Saturday I spent traipsing around various car lots with @breld, helping him figure out what direction he wants to go for his next car. He test drove the following:

2016 X5 40e
    2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
    2019 X3 30i
    2019 Passport

I got to drive his A5 - what a sweet, sweet ride that is.

Sunday we did some winterization of the house, then I watched the NASCAR race, while catching up on the many, many posts for lease numbers here at Edmunds.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    We enjoyed the beautiful weather to start winterizing outside a bit and picked up some things for Halloween costumes. It was nice to actually spend a weekend at home for once, we hosted some neighbors on Saturday night for a fire and all the kids made smores while some of the adults drank their smores ;)
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I did the usual Saturday household chores of changing the bed linens and then doing a few loads of laundry. Wasm't a great day for outside stuff so I watched the handful of episodes of the UK series "Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars" offered on MT TV which I enjoyed. I was unsure about that series at first but warmed up to it and hopefully more of it will come available soon. I like Drew Pritchard's original "Salvage Hunters" series too, which has its first season available on Prime. It is sort of a UK version of American Pickers (it might even have inspired that one) but I find it much more enjoyable.

Yesterday I put up some shelves in the garage and also hung a couple of sections of pegboard my brother donated to me. No excuses now for stuff being disorganized in there.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2019
    Is leatherette as good as or better than leather or semi-aniline? I know Mercedes uses MB-Tex extensively in its C- class, Lexus uses Nuluxe and Semi-aniline in its Lexus products, while Lincoln and Cadillac use some forms of faux synthetic upholstery.

So, which is better? For environmental reasons a strong case can be made for using synthetics rather animal hides, but I believe automakers are using synthetics to upsell customers to "genuine" leather while some say you can't tell the difference between them. What is certain is that the leather option comes at a steep price because it does not come as a stand-alone option. Instead, it is leather plus some cheap telematics for mucho extra dollars.

I never paid much attention to that debate as my wife will not buy a car without genuine leather upholstery. But I’m beginning to believe a dealer or two may have slighted her over the years.

My wife, would never know it was vinyl! Traditionally the biggest difference was durability. Some leather cracks bad over time (looking at you, Volvo). MB Tex will outlast the cockroaches.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Nice pix, RB. The M1 brings back memories of a neighbor of my folks and his black M1.
    What do the BCCA members think of the i8?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I only caught the first half of the Iggles game so I missed Zeke rushing over 100 yards by the 3rd Q. I think that's his 23rd NFL 100-yard rushing game in reg season play. 2 more if you add post season games.

After a friend left my house she texted, "I see 2 Teslas parked in one of your neighbors driveway!" I asked if they were yellow. B) This summer Yellow Cab of Columbus bought 10 Teslas to replace ICE taxis.

July 19, 2018 - Smart Columbus today announced the award of $30,000 in rebate funding to help Columbus Yellow Cab replace 10 internal combustion engine vehicles in its fleet with new electric taxis. Yellow Cab was awarded 10 rebates through the Smart Columbus Transportation Service Provider Battery Electric Vehicle Rebate Program, announced in June and funded by the $10 million grant awarded to Columbus by the Paul G. Allen Philanthropies as the winner of the Smart City Challenge.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.

Nice pix, RB. The M1 brings back memories of a neighbor of my folks and his black M1.
    What do the BCCA members think of the i8?

I haven't heard anything negative; a former Club President as well as a member with a great collection of vintage BMWs both own an i8- and more than a few members keep an i3 as a runabout/city car.

BMW racing driver Bill Auberlen did a 1000 foot burnout in a new M8...

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited October 2019

Was a football weekend here, so AFTER digging up 62# of potatoes and planting next year's garlic (100 plants), I got to see some pumpkin pie...

... and a bacon covered alligator!

bwia said:

Is leatherette as good as or better than leather or semi-aniline? I know Mercedes uses MB-Tex extensively in its C- class, Lexus uses Nuluxe and Semi-aniline in its Lexus products, while Lincoln and Cadillac use some forms of faux synthetic upholstery.

My 2014 ATS was a base model so it had leatherette. I could not tell the difference between it and real leather. I suspect the more upscale brands that use leatherette (i.e MB-Tex) do not give much up between the two. It is not like a 1960s vinyl upholstery.

My 2017 ATS has semi-aniline leather. It is really nice leather but not head and shoulders better than others I have experienced. Actually of the cars I have had, the nicest leather was, of all things, the "Nuance" leather on my '09 Lacrosse. That stuff was soft and had a lovely scent. My 2017 also has some sort of what I assume is synthetic suede on the dash and door panels, which I guess is OK, but that is a material that never did much for me.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited October 2019
    My Lincoln has Bridge of Weir leather. It doesn't say leather 'seating surfaces', so I assume it covers the whole seat.
    I just noticed the black paint has a metal flake to it, similar to the old Tuxedo Black that couldn't be produced anymore after the Tsunami hit Japan a few years ago.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @PF_Flyer,
    I'm guessing you went to the Penn State/U of M game last Saturday.
    We are heading up to the 'Big House' for the U of M/ND game next Saturday.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited October 2019

We've had the Q5 for 3 months today and 5k mi. All good, seems to be averaging mid 20s mpg and 29+mpg highway. Quiet, smooth, comfortable, quick, satisfying. Here are a few subtle features you don't necessarily discover until dark. I was not expecting the cool footwell lighting.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    MB Tex is standard up to the E and equivalents. I have no problem with it, 99% of people can't tell it from real leather, no special maintenance needed, much easier to clean, historical record of extreme durability, not much not to like.

In C and E, real leather is maybe a $1600 option, more for special finishes.
    edited October 2019
    This isn’t good. Roving groups of employees in the Chicago plant intimidating workers? Stock price down 15%? I wouldn’t want to be Hackett, seems like he’s way over his head. The comments are interesting too.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/ford-botches-explorer-launch-putting-ceo-back-hot-seat

C&D just published a comparo that had the Explorer 4th of 5 vehicles in the group, not good for a new model.

that issue just came today, and I glanced at that article. They did not seem too impressed by the Ford. Though it did beat the Buick, but that is a pretty old design at this point isn't it?

edited October 2019
    fintail said:

MB Tex is standard up to the E and equivalents. I have no problem with it, 99% of people can't tell it from real leather, no special maintenance needed, much easier to clean, historical record of extreme durability, not much not to like.

In C and E, real leather is maybe a $1600 option, more for special finishes.

I must have MB Tex but I don't think about it...it seems just like leather to me.
    But, I could be mistaken, it seems to me the real leather comes in some really nice colors....I thought I like that color more...but do I want to pay $2000 more because of it?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

I really dig your 2er. That M235i/M240i strikes the right BMW Balance of old school BMW style and everyday stellar performance for me. You don’t see that many 2ers coupes either. The ///M2 is awesome in its own right, but I don’t think I could ever justify the extra cost using it as a daily driver.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

I really dig your 2er. That M235i/M240i strikes the right BMW Balance of old school BMW style and everyday stellar performance for me. You don’t see that many 2ers coupes either. The ///M2 is awesome in its own right, but I don’t think I could ever justify the extra cost using it as a daily driver.
    After driving it all last week I've about decided to keep mine and just tweak it around the edges; it's so nice to have a car that you can configure as either a laid back cruiser or a competent track toy with the push of a couple of buttons. I also like not seeing myself coming and going. I think adding the M Performance diff and a mild tune will keep me happy for some time to come.
    Plus, it's paid for.

Two more O'fest snaps-

lot better visibility out of the old model!

stickguy said:

Being the "large window" expert, I agree.
    But, BMW makes beautiful cars.....especially some of those older models....with big windows.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@PF_Flyer,
    I'm guessing you went to the Penn State/U of M game last Saturday.
    We are heading up to the 'Big House' for the U of M/ND game next Saturday.

We go up and tailgate and then go back to the house and watch the game. The in stadium experience is no fun anymore. Constant piped in music, no dead air allowed, game stops all the time for TV to sell soap and there's no flow. I go to see the GAME, and that almost seems secondary anymore
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    ab348 said:

This isn’t good. Roving groups of employees in the Chicago plant intimidating workers? Stock price down 15%? I wouldn’t want to be Hackett, seems like he’s way over his head. The comments are interesting too.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/ford-botches-explorer-launch-putting-ceo-back-hot-seat

C&D just published a comparo that had the Explorer 4th of 5 vehicles in the group, not good for a new model.

Who are these “roving groups of workers”? Management or union? Almost sounds like someone is deliberately trying to sabotage that plant.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

But, BMW makes beautiful cars.....especially some of those older models....with big windows.

I like this particular old model.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

Who are these “roving groups of workers”? Management or union? Almost sounds like someone is deliberately trying to sabotage that plant.
    The story implies they are workers on the assembly line floor, but is less than clear:

What the CEO wasn’t counting on was for a problematic plant to cause trouble again. The Chicago factory, fined twice in the last two decades by federal workplace-harassment regulators, is riven with dissension that’s hampering productivity and quality, according to people familiar with the situation.

Roving groups of workers are intimidating other employees, creating a hostile environment, the people said. That’s driving up turnover and leaving some vehicle assembly unfinished, contributing to the company having to complete the work at the Michigan factory or at dealerships, the people said.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

ab348 said:

Anytime you get large groups of people cliques form and these cliques can evolve rules regarding themselves and how others interaction with them. Sometimes these "rules" can be intimidating, either actively or passively. Think of your high school days.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Sounds more like prison. But HS works too!

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I like this particular old model.

Me too!

How about one of these....Jeep Gladiator (nice and square or at least angular)?