Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    I don't know if the price is good, bad or indifferent, but dang, this sucker is gorgeous. I need to like double my salary (I am open to job offers!) or inherit a million bucks from some relative I never heard of.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2016-porsche-panamera-certified_panamera_4_edition_navigation_camera_bose_blis-used-wp0aa2a70gl007595.html

this is an odd thing to see at a luxury brand (primarily) used car lot, with only 18 miiles on it. that is hard to do. Must have been towed in! Kinda cool, but I can only imaging the look my wife would give me if I brought this home.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2019-mercedes~benz-sprinter_cab_chassis-diesel_sprinter_cab_chassis_3500xd_standard_roof_170wb_dually-used-wdapf4cd6kn016392.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    stickguy said:

! the wife in particular likes that, since she gets stressed having to learn all new controls and tech. And the new stuff in particular might be too much for her. She hasn't figured out much of what the TLX does, and that is pretty straight forward for a loaded car these days. So she just drives it without touching anything!

Boy does that sound familiar.

I made an appointment with the Subaru genius (not sure what they are really called) for this evening to go over all the stuff on the wifes new Ascent. Most, if not all, the things are already on my Legacy. She decided she didn't want to go so I guess I will just listen and watch.

She never used the cruise contral or navigation in her former Forester. I don't know what else, but I suspect she never used the remote start either.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

She hasn’t figured out CarPlay yet (I think I just need to sync her phone) and I know will never use cruise. She hasn’t driven it in a while, and when she does, it’s not very far. Just to work if I need her car for some reason.

If we get a modern car for her, will need to do some real training. And will have dealer set it all up to her phone at delivery. I can add mine later.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Or she could simply not need to use any of those features for the type of driving she does. I have CarPlay and never use it, don't miss it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276
    edited October 2019
    @kyfdx - I’m old enough that I remember Time magazine having pictures of woolly mammoths on their front cover with the admonition that the earth was headed for the next ice age. How times have changed...
    ab348 said:

Or she could simply not need to use any of those features for the type of driving she does. I have CarPlay and never use it, don't miss it.

Much of it. But she really wants the navigation because when traffic on her normal highway route home goes haywire, there are various alternates, some of which she gets lost on. Usually I end up being on Star.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    My wife picked up the Volvo pretty quickly. It can be a little confusing.

What is funny is watching her try and get in it.

The doors unlock with the smart key as soon as you put your hand behind the handle.... there is a little dimple on the door handle that locks it. She can't stop herself from putting her thumb on that dimple when she is getting into the car. So, it unlocks and then re-locks as she is pulling the handle. Rinse and repeat a few times until she realizes what she is doing wrong. Naturally, without question it's the car's fault.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The Volvo at least resembles an iPhone, which is what we have. And no weird touchpad like the new RDX. I need to get her to play with that, and the X3 I drive. And see if she can get either car into gear.

She still gets all confused about the electronic parking brake in the TLX, and I showed her that a bunch of times.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557
    corvette said:

breld said:

And dealerships are closed on Sundays here, so no can do. And then we leave on our TCM (Turner Classic Movies) cruise on Monday, so I'll at least be put off for another week!

Where there's a breld, there's a way! I can't imagine a small inconvenience like a vacation or a dealership being closed would stand in the way of you making a deal.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. If anyone can pull off buying a car while on a cruise, it's our poster buddy @breld. I understand virtual test drives have improved significantly the last couple of years. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    stickguy said:

She hasn’t figured out CarPlay yet (I think I just need to sync her phone) and I know will never use cruise. She hasn’t driven it in a while, and when she does, it’s not very far. Just to work if I need her car for some reason.

If we get a modern car for her, will need to do some real training. And will have dealer set it all up to her phone at delivery. I can add mine later.

We used Car Play when we went on a trip last weekend for Waze. The Ascent doesn't have navigation (close your eyes) or a sun roof. She has an iPhone so maybe she knows how to use it. I will show her again since I did all the driving. She is smart. She just doesn't care.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Anyone want an Elantra?

Surprised my local dealer didn't take it. They put their plate frames on it right after I turned it in.

https://www.cioccahyundai.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2017-Hyundai-Elantra-SE-Quakertown-PA/3526317433

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Seems like a lot of car for the money.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Out of curiosity how close is the price to the RV?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Residual was around $12,500.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I wonder what it went for at auction.
    There is no way it even went to auction. The dealer must have gotten it directly from Hyundai Finance. I turned it in less than two weeks ago.

My guess is they bought it for $11k. Figure $1500 for CPO and the rest is profit...
    Getting ready to start hitting the pavement for yet another RAV4 for my mother. I looked at an XLE Premium with a 34K sticker.

Using the numbers here in the leasing thread and hoping for a generous 10% discount I'm still at $400 with just first month. I can't let her pay that for a mildly equipped RAV.

tjc78 said:

Getting ready to start hitting the pavement for yet another RAV4 for my mother. I looked at an XLE Premium with a 34K sticker.

Using the numbers here in the leasing thread and hoping for a generous 10% discount I'm still at $400 with just first month. I can't let her pay that for a mildly equipped RAV.

My in-laws are looking for a car to lease to keep here in Seattle. All of the mid-high trim crossover SUVs are leasing crazy high right now. CR-V EX-L, Forester Limited, Rav4 XLE Premium, CX-5 GT etc are all $350+ per month including tax, at least, with first month and TTL at signing. Very frustrating.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061

tjc78 said:

My in-laws are looking for a car to lease to keep here in Seattle. All of the mid-high trim crossover SUVs are leasing crazy high right now. CR-V EX-L, Forester Limited, Rav4 XLE Premium, CX-5 GT etc are all $350+ per month including tax, at least, with first month and TTL at signing. Very frustrating.
    My friend did a deal on a 2019 X1.

$41K MSRP
    36/12
    $355/mo (including 6% tax)
    $355 + $2800 MSDs due at signing.

But, he shopped CR-V and CX-5. They were all around $350/mo. (or more).

Not that I'm recommending it, but maybe a Nissan Rogue would do better?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

At $12,500 would have been a great buy for a teen to do HS through college. At $15k, getting close to the price of a new one (which is also the nicer redesigned model)

They want to be under $300/month including tax, which is just not compatible with the features they want right now. A rogue isn't a bad idea - I'll dig into that, even though I think it is a less than compelling car.
    CUVs always seem to lease like that. Which is a big reason I didn’t get one. Tlx was near the same price as a CRV EX or CX5.

tjc78 said:

Her current one was 32K and is $316 / month with $500 OOP.

She doesn't want to go up much in payment. I just crunched the #s using an 11% discount which is what the brokers are giving on LH. I'll get that with the relationship I have with the salesperson, but the program is the program. MF translates to 3.36% and only a $500 rebate.

I don't want her to get a Rouge. She always liked my Elantra, when I get a minute I'm going to crunch some #s on a Tucson.

Tucson is nice. And for a lease, why not a rogue?

Go real crazy. Mitsubishi. Eclipse cross or whatever they call it? Gotta be able to get a deal on one of those. Maybe an outgoing escape? They drive nice.

The Tuscon does not lease well at all, either.
    I'm just not a huge fan of the Rogue.. and they are CVT too, right? She may never even notice, so probably wouldn't matter.

I haven't run #s on a Tucson. I remember getting a pretty solid deal on one for a buddy of mine but that was over a year ago and certainly programs have changed.

Rav 4 is CVT now isn’t it? Not sure if Tucson switched over yet.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,233
    What is it about the RAV4 that appeals to her? Better visibility? AWD? Toyota reliability?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

av 4 is CVT now isn’t it?

No it's an 8 Speed.

Michaell said:

What is it about the RAV4 that appeals to her? Better visibility? AWD? Toyota reliability?

She hasn't had anything but a Toyota since the late 90s when we she gave up her 96 Thunderbird. She does like her current RAV and told me she likes the new style.

I'm going to show her some things tonight. Personally I think she can come down a size class. She only ever has one passenger or my kids in the back.

Not many decently equipped SUVs hitting mid 300s with only first month OOP it seems.

If the lease programs are that awful, would she be better off buying and possibly keeping it longer than 36 months?
    edited October 2019
    Weirdly, after I cancelled Onstar, the red light indicating a system malfunction went out, so I think it's at least getting a cell signal... Still no Bluetooth, though, so I'm still guessing there's something bad in the module.
    But out the current one and keep it forever. Problem solved.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited October 2019
    tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Her current one was 32K and is $316 / month with $500 OOP.

She doesn't want to go up much in payment. I just crunched the #s using an 11% discount which is what the brokers are giving on LH. I'll get that with the relationship I have with the salesperson, but the program is the program. MF translates to 3.36% and only a $500 rebate.

I don't want her to get a Rouge. She always liked my Elantra, when I get a minute I'm going to crunch some #s on a Tucson.</blockquote

The Buick Encore CUV usually leases well. Wife and I really liked ours - cute, comfortable, thrifty and reliable. Their lease program covered maintenance for the life of the lease and Onstar. Also, there was no disposal fee. I don’t know if it would be too small for the in-laws, however, it rides like a larger vehicle and is roomy for it’s size.

All solid suggestions guys! She really likes having a new car and can afford it so probably going to stay on the hampster wheel!

I’ve thought about the Encore, nice little Ute. I like the Equinox and Terrian as well. There usually can be deals on those.

I'm looking at a GLA250 loaner for my in-laws. MB doesn't hit the residual if it has less than 3000 miles.

I'm getting a $1200 OOP and $310/month including 10.5% tax and crazy WA registration fees for a $41k GLA. I hate the car but it hits all the things they wanted...
    I would drive a GLA for that money.

Tom, is it that crucial to hit a certain price point? I know I always go through this, and eventually (within reason of course) end up going with something I actually want, even if it is a little more money. If you are willing to do the lease after lease plan, saving money can't be the #1 requirement, so if $50/month is not going to be noticeable in the long run, get whatever it is that she really wants.

Just about everyone here at one point has shopped and taken a "deal", and ended up regretting it (or at least, hated the car for the duration).

at least the new RAV is a lot sharper looking than the old ones. Seems bigger too but that could be an illusion. Someone in my neighborhood just got a white limited, and it is actually pretty sharp.

I'll admit I like the looks of the current RAV4 as well.

But, AWD is not a "need to have"?

The next size down for Toyota would be the CH-R.

A neighbor across the street from me just got a Kona - in white. Not the most favorable color, with the black wheel arches. But, I like the concept of it.

With a 3 years lease, long term reliability isn't that big of a concern.

A GLA for $310/mo would be pretty good.

The Nissan Kicks packs a lot of features into a pretty reasonable price - if you can live with FWD only.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

The GLA is not for me - at $40k, it has halogen headlights and no Nav, which is mindblowing to me. But it hits the requirements in other areas - power passenger seat (hard to find), dual zone climate control (hard to find in entry trims), CarPlay etc.
    if it comes with Carplay, I don't care about not having Navi built in.

and from Mom, I bet that she would never know it had FWD instead of AWD. I know my wife never would on her RDX (and quite possibly, neither would I!)

so going with the FWD cheaper model makes sense.

the Kona is really nice, but definitely smaller. But roomy enough for me.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    I like the Kona too in certain colors - as Michaell says, they have a lot of black plastic on the exterior (son of Aztek?) and it doesn't look great in light colors. I prefer the Kia Niro in terms of looks.

A Sportage is a step up but I have no idea what those go for.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2019
    I had a new RAV4 for a rental in Houston this week. I think it was an XLE. I like the looks and while it wasn't anything exciting to drive it was more than competent.
    Looks like my in laws will end up with a GLA. It’s a former loaner with P01 Premium, Smartphone Pack, and matte wood trim. MSRP is just over $40k so fairly stripped.
    Whatever floats their boat. Are these in laws the ones who planned to borrow your spare car, when you had one--don't they live out of town?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Matte dark wood I bet, it's always that blackish wood.
    edited October 2019
    Yes, but they're here WAY more than they originally had planned - initial thought was 6-8 weeks a year. So far this year it's been like 17 or 18. Which is great for Sam and getting lots of family time, but untenable for us in terms of sharing.

Yes, but they're here WAY more than they originally had planned - initial thought was 6-8 weeks a year. So far this year it's been like 17 or 18. Which is great for Sam and getting lots of family time, but untenable for us in terms of sharing.

Wouldn't it be less expensive for them to rent a car when they are in Seattle?

The way I'm looking at it is this - $310/mo for 12 months is $3720. Divide that by the 18 weeks they are in town and that's just over $200/week. I'm sure they could rent something for that rate.

Not to mention insurance and storage costs.

What am I missing here?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited October 2019
    Michaell said:

The way I'm looking at it is this - $310/mo for 12 months is $3720. Divide that by the 18 weeks they are in town and that's just over $200/week. I'm sure they could rent something for that rate.

What am I missing here?
    They ran the numbers and came to the conclusion they could not.

In the off season $200/week is doable. But from May-September during cruise season, rentals can run as high as $500/week, esp for an SUV. They're here quite a bit during the summer.

Michaell said:

What am I missing here?
    They ran the numbers and came to the conclusion they could not.

In the off season $200/week is doable. But from May-September during cruise season, rentals can run as high as $500/week, esp for an SUV. They're here quite a bit during the summer.
    Do they need to rent an SUV?

Hey, it's not my money, and I've got no skin in the game, I'm just genuinely curious.

But, I'm glad Sam gets to see his grandparents as much as he does. I only saw my paternal grandparents a handful of times in my life - I grew up in CA, while they lived in NY.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator