Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Take the roof off for even better visibility.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

ab348 said:

This isn’t good. Roving groups of employees in the Chicago plant intimidating workers? Stock price down 15%? I wouldn’t want to be Hackett, seems like he’s way over his head. The comments are interesting too.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/ford-botches-explorer-launch-putting-ceo-back-hot-seat

C&D just published a comparo that had the Explorer 4th of 5 vehicles in the group, not good for a new model.

Who are these “roving groups of workers”? Management or union? Almost sounds like someone is deliberately trying to sabotage that plant.
    Anytime you get large groups of people cliques form and these cliques can evolve rules regarding themselves and how others interaction with them. Sometimes these "rules" can be intimidating, either actively or passively. Think of your high school days.
    So these are schoolyard bullies getting $63/hr. and screwing up production? Sounds like both the union and management would want these characters out of there. Running a factory like a middle school gym class is no way to build cars.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

How about one of these....Jeep Gladiator (nice and square or at least angular)?

Must be fun to drive, we saw one of the yard guys doing donuts in one out back in the gravel last week. Pretty dumb to be abusing a $50k vehicle within eyesight of the big bosses. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

So these are schoolyard bullies getting $63/hr. and screwing up production? Sounds like both the union and management would want these characters out of there. Running a factory like a middle school gym class is no way to build cars.

In my last job most of the workforce was unionized. There were militant pockets in certain parts of the organization. The warehouse and distribution part was the worst in that respect. New employees who did not adopt the anti-management mindset of the unionist types were harassed and abused until they fell into line, even if they were simply trying to improve things. It was utterly pig-headed behavior and was quite eye-opening.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

Sounds more like prison. But HS works too!

Well I was trying to make it relatable to everyone not just you.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    But not all union members are that bad. I belonged, still do, to the Letter Carriers union and they were a big help to us, always! Fought for better wages & benefits and were there when management f'ed up, which was often. They tried to save my job for me, but were unable but wasn't their fault. Now, all we need is the federal judge to do the right thing so we can win our class action lawsuit and get the compensation which we all deserve! Even if it's only a few grand, it would be totally worth it to see the post office loose here!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    ab348 said:

In my last job most of the workforce was unionized. There were militant pockets in certain parts of the organization. The warehouse and distribution part was the worst in that respect. New employees who did not adopt the anti-management mindset of the unionist types were harassed and abused until they fell into line, even if they were simply trying to improve things. It was utterly pig-headed behavior and was quite eye-opening.
    This is how Detroit got to be the way it is and why nearly all new manufacturing is set up in non-union areas. Go figure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Then there are "public service" unions, for which there is no competition.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    You people know everything. Got something odd today, and I can't figure out what the scam is (but know it must be one).

got an envelope today, address to my daughter, with a greeting card inside. But I think the stamp said "pre sorted" Inside was an American Greetings "congratulations I hear you are having a baby" card (just abut gave me a heart attack too!). Addressed here, but she still gets some mail never having changed her address.

Inside the card, there was a note (without her name) that said something like "I just heard, congratulations, I hope you enjoy this! and signed with first name, last init. A bunch of clippings (mostly coupons) and 5 gift cards, for various baby sites I never heard of, with a receipt from a gift card seller wrapped around them, totaling $245 in value. Receipt looks legit, shows last 4 digits of the CC number, all the usual stuff.

I suppose it could have been put in the wrong envelope, and kid confirmed that she did not know anyone by that name (nor was she pregnant) but no clue why said person would be sending her anything. And the card did not have her name on it anywhere.

assuming it was intentional, is there some scam where you get screwed trying to use a gift card? I just can't quite figure out what the angle is on this one.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Was there a return address?

It does sound real from what you're saying is there.

Do the gift cards have telephone numbers or preferably web sites that you can go on to check the value on the cards.

A note to someone who's a friend who is pregnant would say, "Mary," or "Hi Mary"

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited October 2019
    Had a confusing inicident on the interstate heading to lunch last Thursday. I saw headlights ahead on the left side of the 3-lane interstate. I was in left lane so I moved to middle lane, then right lane, thinking of head on driver going the wrong way.

It was a Luxury car stopped along the concrete divider wall facing oncoming traffic with a local bear behind her with his light bar flashing white, bright lights over her vehicle along with red/blue to warn oncoming traffic.

I can only guess that she got on the off ramp that's and came up the wrong way, realized it, dodged any traffic and got to the right side of the pavement. That left her against the wide break down lane along the median barrier facing the high speed lane coming at her!. Then she called 911 for HELP!

Traffic wasn't heavy. She could have made a U-turn, I would think. But likely panicked.

Was passed by a Hyundai Ioniq today on the highway. Wasn’t familiar with it as I don’t follow most hybrid-EVs. Must appeal to entitled millennials because the young operator was driving like a jerk.

Are these considered performance cars?

But not all union members are that bad. I belonged, still do, to the Letter Carriers union and they were a big help to us, always! Fought for better wages & benefits and were there when management f'ed up, which was often. They tried to save my job for me, but were unable but wasn't their fault. Now, all we need is the federal judge to do the right thing so we can win our class action lawsuit and get the compensation which we all deserve! Even if it's only a few grand, it would be totally worth it to see the post office loose here!!

I’ve worked for non-union employers and I can appreciate the screwing an unrestrained management can pull. I’ve also worked in a closed union shop and while I benefited from the collective bargained higher wage I also saw the union protect incompetent workers and their friends. For the non connected there wasn’t much representation. I ignored this since I never had need of any intervention that I couldn’t handle myself.

Outright harassment by the union would have been unacceptable.

OF, I think the Ioniq is the opposite of an entitled Millenial car. Most likely just a jerk that happened to have it.

Was there a return address?

It does sound real from what you're saying is there.

Do the gift cards have telephone numbers or preferably web sites that you can go on to check the value on the cards.

A note to someone who's a friend who is pregnant would say, "Mary," or "Hi Mary"

no return address. And the cards do have phone numbers, and the receipt from some company that sells gift cards ("giftcardsareus" type of operation). At some point I will research those. Just don't need any of the stuff (like custom baby clothes, or a pouch to cover a baby while feeding). Odd stuff.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Are they true gift cards or more like discount vouchers since anything you’ll buy will be more than the amount on the card?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

seem like normal gift cards with balance amounts written on them.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    stickguy said:

You people know everything. Got something odd today, and I can't figure out what the scam is (but know it must be one).

got an envelope today, address to my daughter, with a greeting card inside. But I think the stamp said "pre sorted" Inside was an American Greetings "congratulations I hear you are having a baby" card (just abut gave me a heart attack too!). Addressed here, but she still gets some mail never having changed her address.

Inside the card, there was a note (without her name) that said something like "I just heard, congratulations, I hope you enjoy this! and signed with first name, last init. A bunch of clippings (mostly coupons) and 5 gift cards, for various baby sites I never heard of, with a receipt from a gift card seller wrapped around them, totaling $245 in value. Receipt looks legit, shows last 4 digits of the CC number, all the usual stuff.

I suppose it could have been put in the wrong envelope, and kid confirmed that she did not know anyone by that name (nor was she pregnant) but no clue why said person would be sending her anything. And the card did not have her name on it anywhere.

assuming it was intentional, is there some scam where you get screwed trying to use a gift card? I just can't quite figure out what the angle is on this one.

https://wtvr.com/2019/02/13/sheriffs-office-debunks-scam-of-gift-card-filled-letters-from-jen/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

thanks. I hadn't had a chance to check, but now I don't have to! That is exactly what they are.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

sharp looking car. Love the seats. When we sat in the Outback a few weeks ago it was a limited and had them. Very comfy.

The Ascent seats look really nice....nice instrument panel. Seems to me we looked at Foresters when we bought the 2013 Passat and they were pretty minimal....drab inside.
    When are you going to replace the dealer's paper floor mats? Do you or anyone bother with Weather Tech or anything like that?
    I just use what comes with the car....sometimes rubber, sometimes carpet. I kind of prefer rubber, don't have to worry about it.
    Actually there are all-weathger mats under the paper ones. I asked my wife if I could take out the paper ones before the trip and I just got glared at. The carpeted ones are in the garage on a shelf.
    Thats what I do...use the rubber mats, save the carpet ones in pristine condition....if I can remember where I put them.
    When we bought the wife's Jetta, it had the rubber mats in it, and the carpet ones were in the trunk. The carpet mats did come in handy ONE time, after which I learned my lesson about parking on a hill when ice and snow aren't completely cleared.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    that is where the mats in my daughters Jetta still are I think.

I got a set of Acura rubber all weather mats shortly after getting the RDX. the carpet ones have been on the shelf in the garage ever since (6+ years). And they take up a surprisingly large amount of space.

qbrozen said:

Should have been about $695 tax and $130 for title and reg.

Oh that’s different then. It’s just a regular rip off. :@ i know some states really nail car owners for registration separate from sales tax.
    In both NC and KY we pay personal property tax on our vehicles, on the order of 1% of the current book value every year. Indiana used to assess excise tax, which I know was reduced when they started the lottery and may have since been eliminated.
    edited October 2019
    sda said:

We've had the Q5 for 3 months today and 5k mi. All good, seems to be averaging mid 20s mpg and 29+mpg highway. Quiet, smooth, comfortable, quick, satisfying. Here are a few subtle features you don't necessarily discover until dark. I was not expecting the cool footwell lighting.

That is some cool lighting. My Volvo had much more plain footwell lighting, so I was surprised to see none at all when I got the RDX.

Oh, and I'm a little envious of your MPG!
    stickguy said:

thanks. I hadn't had a chance to check, but now I don't have to! That is exactly what they are.

Now you have to explain why you gave out your personal information to the mother-to-be store. :o

Information request from the brain trust.

I have been seeing articles about lawsuits and recalls involving excessive oil consumption in Chevy Equinox with the 2.4L.

Haven’t been able to determine if this problem was limited to the Equinox or on other GM vehicles with the 2.4L like the Malibu.

It’s also not clear if this problem is with direct-injection, port injection or both.

Any thoughts?

edited October 2019
    The first link below has references to Malibu and Equinox 2.4 engines
    Malibu
    LE5
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine#2.4

Equinox
    LAF
    LEA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Equinox

You can click on those blue engine names for further links and information
    in the Wiki articles.

Problems seem to be mostly with the version in the Equinox and Terrain, not sure why just those.

Usually becomes a problem with some after 60,000 miles or so, more likely as it gets close to 100K. It is a bit mysterious as owners report no leaks or blue smoke, though who knows for sure. There is special coverage for some model years up to 120K miles but I would avoid them regardless.

edited October 2019

The first link below has references to Malibu and Equinox 2.4 engines
    Malibu
    LE5
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine#2.4

Equinox
    LAF
    LEA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Equinox

You can click on those blue engine names for further links and information
    in the Wiki articles.

So it looks like the Equinox used a different version than the Malibu. Good to know. Thanks.

I’m guessing you never had an oil burning issue with your Chevy fleet.

ronsteve said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

sharp looking car. Love the seats. When we sat in the Outback a few weeks ago it was a limited and had them. Very comfy.

The Ascent seats look really nice....nice instrument panel. Seems to me we looked at Foresters when we bought the 2013 Passat and they were pretty minimal....drab inside.
    When are you going to replace the dealer's paper floor mats? Do you or anyone bother with Weather Tech or anything like that?
    I just use what comes with the car....sometimes rubber, sometimes carpet. I kind of prefer rubber, don't have to worry about it.
    Actually there are all-weathger mats under the paper ones. I asked my wife if I could take out the paper ones before the trip and I just got glared at. The carpeted ones are in the garage on a shelf.
    Thats what I do...use the rubber mats, save the carpet ones in pristine condition....if I can remember where I put them.
    When we bought the wife's Jetta, it had the rubber mats in it, and the carpet ones were in the trunk. The carpet mats did come in handy ONE time, after which I learned my lesson about parking on a hill when ice and snow aren't completely cleared.
    I just saw a YouTube video on a guy who bought a super low mile Corvette from Carvana. It had two owners in only 2500 miles which he said was a red flag. (Duh) Another red flag was the floor mats were missing and the paint was stripped in a few small areas. He asked his mechanic what might strip the paint and was told that doing 160 on the track would do it and they remove the floor mats to avoid accidentally catching them in the pedals.

Needless to say, he gave the car back.

ab348 said:

Problems seem to be mostly with the version in the Equinox and Terrain, not sure why just those.

Usually becomes a problem with some after 60,000 miles or so, more likely as it gets close to 100K. It is a bit mysterious as owners report no leaks or blue smoke, though who knows for sure. There is special coverage for some model years up to 120K miles but I would avoid them regardless.

I would hate to pay good money for a car that burns oil. Even my old Plymouth with 160k miles didn’t burn much (it leaked about a quart every 1000 miles though).

I don't think I have ever had a car that really burned oil. Maybe back in my HS/College beater days, but none of those got driven enough miles to really notice. And were really cheap.

since I "grew up" and started getting real cars, adding any oil between changes even has been very rare.

Guess I’ll have to check my chevy’s oil.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

did you get the immediate problems fixed and put it back together?

and with the Charger sitting there, do you even bother to drive it?

qbrozen said:

Guess I’ll have to check my chevy’s oil.

The 4.3L in my Chevy doesn’t seem to use much oil between 5k mile oil changes.

stickguy said:

did you get the immediate problems fixed and put it back together?

and with the Charger sitting there, do you even bother to drive it?

I switch back and forth depending on the task.

Still squaring away the chevy. Have had other chores getting in the way. But I did order the other front wheel bearing that seems to have started grinding 2 days after I replaced the one side, and I ordered a Tech II scan device off ebay that has the capability of programming the steering sensor, among other things, so fingers crossed that will finally get the warning lights off.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited October 2019
    stickguy said:

Got one at my house too, addressed to my unmarried daughter who no longer lives here. :)

The presort is pretty much the giveaway, but the address was printed and they got a letter in the wrong case in the name. I do like the "return address got smeared off by some machine" look.

So it looks like the Equinox used a different version than the Malibu. Good to know. Thanks.

I’m guessing you never had an oil burning issue with your Chevy fleet.

Long post alert:
    My Cobalt with 140,000 miles uses 1/2 quart--in 8,000 mi now that it's over 100K mi.
    It is the 2.2 version of the Ecotec.

My 2.5 in the Malibu 14 is an updated version of Ecotec and different than the 2.5
    in the 2013 Malibu and others having been improved for stop-start. It uses none as
    I can tell with 6000 mi oil changes.

The Cruze 15 with 1.4 L turbo uses almost none at 6000 mile oil changes.

I have always used quality oils. Cobalt gets Dexos 2 rated Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic.
    Cruze and Malibu get Dexos rated oil at the dealer, I believe full synthetic now.

My 3800s in the leSabres did use oil after 100K and averaged a quart in 3000 miles
    by the time they hit 150K.

To soapbox a little, I believe I've read that some of the truck related engines have very
    light pressure rings, which improves fuel economy due to lower drag. It's my opinion those
    rings can easily be stuck with over running the lifetime
    of the oil that many people do rather than an oil change AND the filters need to be able
    'to capture a full load of crud before the extended oil change. Otherwise the filters are
    having more of the oil bypass the filter and the crud is built up in the oil.

The people not changing their
    oil on time for the type of driving they do is sort of like the sludge problem toyota gave its
    owners with an extended oil change recommendation and oil that wasn't up to the problems
    in the toyota engine wiht hot spots deteriorating the oil.

IOW, I'll bet the SUV/truck engines having more problems, had owners saving some money
    by extending their oil change.

Earlier Equinoxes had some maintenance items and the engines were made in China
    by GM, IIRC. I may be wrong on that. A band director I knew had one of those.
    His brother did the repairs on it. Sort of like the coolant leak problems on 3800 engines
    that needed new intake manifolds and gaskets by 100K.

The best thing about my Equinox thus far is the engine. With 121k, it runs as smooth and quiet as a sewing machine.

The people not changing their
    oil on time for the type of driving they do is sort of like the sludge problem toyota gave its
    owners with an extended oil change recommendation and oil that wasn't up to the problems
    in the toyota engine wiht hot spots deteriorating the oil.

IOW, I'll bet the SUV/truck engines having more problems, had owners saving some money
    by extending their oil change.

One of the car complaints sites had posts by owners having engine problems on the Equinox. A lot of them had things like "Never checked the dipstick", "Not a mechanic, I just put gas in it", "Changed the oil once a year", etc., and the majority of them bought the vehicle used with an unknown maintenance history. So at the least let's just say that they may not be as tolerant of lack of maintenance as other engines.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

The position I'm in now is covered by a union and it pretty much stinks. If you have a grievance better hope you're friends with the union steward otherwise you're on your own. The contracts we get aren't that great and few people like them but the keep getting voted on. And as for pay raises, my average pay raises when I was not in a union position were better.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    There is no question, whatsoever, that the evolution of labor unions was essential to our growth as an industrial society in the early 20th century. That evolution continued well into the 20th century as a means of improving working conditions, enabling workers to earn a living wage, providing health and life insurance to the workforce and families, providing working hours that were fair and reasonable, through labor-management negotiations.

The significance of labor unions has ebbed in recent history for many reasons, too numerous to itemize here. But there has been a slight resurgence in the past decade of organized labor for reasons of fair and equitable sharing of higher corporate profits since the recession of 2008-2015.

Working conditions in manufacturing have improved geometrically in the recent decades. Safety on the job has also improved - not just because of unions, but also due to increased liability of corporations.

In my opinion, there will always be a place in our society for organized labor even as manufacturing has become more and more reliant on robotics/automation - workers still need to monitor production and manufacturing assembly lines even as we move further away from an industrialized economy toward a service oriented economy.

2021 Genesis G90

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited October 2019
    For all that remember that bridge collapse in Miami (FIU), the NTSB has issued abstract of its report and press release. Unfortunately I was right, it was mainly a fatal design flaw, not construction workmanship or materials. The only issue related to the construction was that once the cracks were observed, they should have shut the street down, which they did not. For obvious reasons - until the collapse there was basically zero appetite in responsible agencies for public inconvenience due to political blowbacks.

I'm a little disappointed with some aspect of the report. It seems it stopped in hanging the engineer (deservedly so) and recommending some rather minor improvements into the funding/building process, but it did not look into the whole project management/financing aspect, which in my opinion was a contributing factor. Essentially pressures on schedules, prices and public convenience creates incentives for teams to cut corners during the chase, but it seems this was not recognized by NTSB same way they do thorough reviews of airline procedures, training, or regulatory environment after plane crashes (or NASA management practices after the space shuttle disasters). Seems like they just were content with pointing the finger at the obvious culprit, but didn't ask questions, why such a situation occurred.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited October 2019
    abacomike said:

There is no question, whatsoever, that the evolution of labor unions was essential to our growth as an industrial society in the early 20th century. That evolution continued well into the 20th century as a means of improving working conditions, enabling workers to earn a living wage, providing health and life insurance to the workforce and families, providing working hours that were fair and reasonable, through labor-management negotiations.

The significance of labor unions has ebbed in recent history for many reasons, too numerous to itemize here. But there has been a slight resurgence in the past decade of organized labor for reasons of fair and equitable sharing of higher corporate profits since the recession of 2008-2015.

Working conditions in manufacturing have improved geometrically in the recent decades. Safety on the job has also improved - not just because of unions, but also due to increased liability of corporations.

In my opinion, there will always be a place in our society for organized labor even as manufacturing has become more and more reliant on robotics/automation - workers still need to monitor production and manufacturing assembly lines even as we move further away from an industrialized economy toward a service oriented economy.

The issue with current unions is that as they are shrinking in private sector (for variety of reasons), they keep growing and become more powerful in the public sector. During negotiation process the people on the other side of the table often have political connections with the union leadership and very little personal stake in defending the agency they represent from excessive demands, quickly pushing the process out of control.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Mazda unveiled its first full EV, the MX-30, today at the Tokyo auto show. The MX-30 is powered by a 35.5-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery; electric driving range numbers are not yet available however.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2019
    Here is a short promotional video of the MX-30. It looks nice in motion...and better looking than some.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwB1jzxhcM
    dino001 said:

The issue with current unions is that as they are shrinking in private sector (for variety of reasons), they keep growing and become more powerful in public sector. During negotiation process the people on the other side of the table often have political connections with the union leadership and very little personal stake in defending the agency they represent from excessive demands, quickly pushing the process out of control.

The result of that is seen locally here with police and fire personnel making 6-figure annual salaries quite routinely. Some of that is due to overtime and gaming of the system, but it seems that you have to work pretty hard not to make 6 figures as a constable or firefighter here. Teachers here will be the next ones to break that barrier. Many already do, thanks to a collective agreement that lets them take courses over the summer break to upgrade their certificates, which gives them an automatic raise despite it not being required for their teaching assignment. That aspect of compensation is therefore essentially unmanageable. Of course all of those groups get virtually total job security, great benefits, and a pension plan.

In my experience the worst part of managing in a unionized environment is that collective agreements become very complex over time, and so there is often a minefield to navigate when it comes to employee management, and plenty of reasons for filing of grievances, which can drag out for a very long time. Many managers simply give up trying to manage their staff because they have been neutered.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'm friendly with another owner of a plumbing supply business in my area. His place is Union. Right now he is dealing with contract negotiations. I told him that if his guys go on strike, I'm going to bring the Union Rat over!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited October 2019

I just saw a YouTube video on a guy who bought a super low mile Corvette from Carvana. It had two owners in only 2500 miles which he said was a red flag. (Duh) Another red flag was the floor mats were missing and the paint was stripped in a few small areas. He asked his mechanic what might strip the paint and was told that doing 160 on the track would do it and they remove the floor mats to avoid accidentally catching them in the pedals.

Needless to say, he gave the car back.

The so-called “mechanic” and the buyer both sound like imbeciles; I would bet that you can interrogate the ECU and discover the top speed attained by that vehicle. And I would never buy a sports car that couldn’t handle track days. That hand-wringing bed wetter needs to be sentenced to driving a Sentra for the rest of his miserable life.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited October 2019
    My Vega burned oil, a lot of oil. I always kept extra quarts in the trunk. More recently my 06 Passat 2.0T burned a quart every 7-800 miles yet ran well. That was my last German car until the Audi. That was a 11 year divorce, lol.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My ti has burned a quart every 2,500 miles or so since new. The Clubman’s oil consumption rate is one quart every 900 miles or so, which is not unusual for the N12 four.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive