Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    qbrozen said:

YESSS!!! New tool arrived today. Used it to tell the Chevy about its new steering angle sensor and now all is right with its brain and zero warnings or codes are present. Woohoo!! Gotta wonder what the neighbors think when they see a man in his driveway with his arms up in the air in triumph.

Fantastic! That is such a great feeling. Congrats!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    edited October 2019
    corvette said:

@qbrozen what tool was that?

I got the Foxwell NT510.
    https://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html
    $129 brand new from ebay

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited October 2019
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

I got the Foxwell NT510.
    $129 brand new from ebay
    That's what I have as well! Only used it once so far but it seems pretty intuitive.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

corvette said:

I got the Foxwell NT510.
    $129 brand new from ebay
    That's what I have as well! Only used it once so far but it seems pretty intuitive.
    It was easy enough to poke around in, but I was getting worried it would not do what I needed. Took me about 20 mins of methodically clicking through each menu to find the SAS. I know it reports to the BCM, but it was not in that menu of this tool. I forget now where it was, I believe maybe the transmission menu, of all places. I know it isn’t a prepopulated menu, and the tool is only reporting back what it finds as it scans modules, but I’d venture a guess what it was translating as “transmission” was not the transmission at all. Something along those lines.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    that tool is cool. I should get one. Other than the fact that I have no actual need for it, and probably would never use it. But that never stopped me before!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

I got the Foxwell NT510.
    $129 brand new from ebay
    Hmm, how does that compare to the Bluedriver I bought a week or so ago? I know the Bluedriver doesn't do programming (like the Foxwell does), but does have repair information available for specific codes. Does the Foxwell let you get into the various specific modules like the Bluetooth/Onstar? I had a VAG-COM back when I had my first Jetta, and you could capture a lot of data and do a lot of programming with it.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

I got the Foxwell NT510.
    $129 brand new from ebay
    I have the same scanner loaded with BMW/Mini?RR software. Between it and the Carly app I can scan, diagnose, and code- as well as register batteries, reset AT adaptations, etc.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,147
    As that era comes into its own, that Prelude might not be a crazy thing to buy and hold. I notice it was sold new locally, too.
    I just can’t help but think it’s wasted sitting that much. But yes, I think this would be one to hold. It’s basically a Honda museum piece.
    corvette said:

Hmm, how does that compare to the Bluedriver I bought a week or so ago? I know the Bluedriver doesn't do programming (like the Foxwell does), but does have repair information available for specific codes.

That is pretty much the difference. I needed the ability to register sensors.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,422
    I wish my car still looked like that. Wow!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

I just can’t help but think it’s wasted sitting that much. But yes, I think this would be one to hold. It’s basically a Honda museum piece.

That's my thought. The car is a blast to drive but I'd be afraid of driving that anywhere.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Bradd, if you never street parked it and only drove about 230 miles per year, it would!

seems like a waste, and at that price, something for a museum. So no reason for any normal person on CL to buy it.

That one seems like a BaT special.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I see it still has its original tires, which makes me wonder if it still has its original engine oil and coolant as well. Do these have a cam belt? If so it is no doubt original as well.

Could be great, or could be a time bomb I suppose.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    Buy it, put in garage, rub it with a diaper.

The minute you start driving it the value goes down and things break.

Agreed BAT would fetch stupid money for that car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

No real surprise there. When was the last time anyone saw one?

edited October 2019
    I cross shopped the M37/M56 before I bought the G. The flat seats on the larger car killed it for me. If I wanted to slide off the edge of my seat, I'd take an aggressive corner in the Tahoe.
    That's the dilemma. If you want a gem that might appreciate, you have to waste it. This car with 200K, even in pristine condition, is worth a fraction. But it won't get the oohs and aahs this thing will bring in another 5-10 years.

And yeah, I'd bet a lot this has a timing belt, maybe something to look into to be safe.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    Very sad that no one got to enjoy driving that vehicle... and, now, they never will.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Last updated when, 2010/11? Infiniti letting a product age out again, without CUVs they'd be gone. I see more late model Rolls-Royce than these larger models , I am astounded the sales figures passed 3 digits, and I am suspicious of the claim. The real rarity is the LWB model, answering a question for the US market asked by the Chinese market, a hen's tooth.

ab348 said:
    @qbrozen hmm... I'm going to return the Bluedriver to Amazon and may check the Foxwell out.
    edited October 2019
    fintail said:

Infiniti letting a product age out again, without CUVs they'd be gone.

The QX80 I rented in Tampa is their flagship SUV and did not have CarPlay or blind spot monitoring. :o
    edited October 2019
    It's funny. I love looking at time piece cars in museums and at car shows, but cannot imagine being the person who owns it and basically never drives it. Perhaps because I'll never view any car as an investment and always as a depreciating asset meant to be used up.
    The QX80 I rented in Tampa is their flagship SUV and did not have CarPlay or blind spot monitoring. :stuck_out_tongue:

Infiniti is stingy with the BSM, you almost always need to have a fully loaded example to get it. IMO that should be made standard equipment on anything in that class of vehicle.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    20 fire fighter, wow that’s a rare find but I wouldn’t want it, you got to enjoy these cars not let him sit like that that’s not good for all the seals and everything. The timing belt has to be done regardless of all the mileage it’s Robert it breaks down, drive belts to Empire‘s. The tires too so you got a put some money into it even though it has under 6000 miles. And probably change the coolant and transmission fluid to and brake fluid. That’s the stuff you have to do regardless the mileage. And oil.
    @ Send man, glad you got to spend some time with your coworkers are used to work with at the post office yesterday. They get together once a month that’s awesome.
    @qb The tools you got to fix equinox and I would is back to perfect sounds awesome I saved a link for it for $129 not bad for a good scan tool they can get into every module. Does it have a talking function so I’d be able to use it? I should look into that.
    Happy Friday everyone, what’s everyone up to for the weekend? Anyone doing any car looking. Hope everyone had an awesome week.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,545
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

Hmm, how does that compare to the Bluedriver I bought a week or so ago? I know the Bluedriver doesn't do programming (like the Foxwell does), but does have repair information available for specific codes.

That is pretty much the difference. I needed the ability to register sensors.
    Happy to hear it worked for you. Given all of those types of widgets on the market, what made you choose that one? I know you said you wanted registration capability but how did you sift though all of them with that feature?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,070

Happy Friday everyone, what’s everyone up to for the weekend? Anyone doing any car looking. Hope everyone had an awesome week.

Only if @breld invites me out again.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870

You could tag along with us ;) We might be out and about hitting some lots this weekend!

Have a fantastic weekend @marcogallo1986 . No car shopping for me, but my Mom is on the hunt. Originally she had her heart set on a 2019 Porsche Macan, but the lease payment comes out to be just too high for her liking. She test drove a Cadillac XT5 yesterday afternoon and liked it. She is scheduled to test drive a Lexus RX350 on Saturday AM.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

It's funny. I love looking at time piece cars in museums and at car shows, but cannot imagine being the person who owns it and basically never drives it. Perhaps because I'll never view any car as an investment and always as a depreciating asset meant to be used up.

I don't know. Let's say $20k brings it home. Someone keeps it as a fun car for 5 years, puts another 10k miles on it. Don't we think this would get at least $20k on BAT five years from now with 15k miles?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

dad23 said:

You could tag along with us ;) We might be out and about hitting some lots this weekend!

Always happy to offer an opinion and help someone spend their money!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Bradd, either of those options will certainly save on maintenance costs!

edited October 2019
    I could probably use some opinions/suggestions, feel like I'm all over the board looking at options...

dad23 said:

I could probably use some opinions/suggestions, feel like I'm all over the board looking at options...

We should talk before hitting the lots.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

We have nothing special planned this weekend, so I’ll arrange an errand outing that conveniently passes a couple dealers I want to stop at. And a brewery.

dad23 said:

Now we’re talking! What are the basic criteria?

stickguy said:

Bradd, either of those options will certainly save on maintenance costs!

I'm hoping she takes a liking to the RX.

They are nice. We did like the NX a lot, but it was just a bit small in the back.

I'm currently driving a 2013 Pilot which I like, have had no issues with it, it's just being handed down to new drivers in the household. I've had trucks in the past so was originally thinking a new Tundra or F150 but then thought I'd never really use it as a truck and don't want to be lending it out either ;) I started looking at the Tahoe/Yukons for more room but figured we'd still have the Pilot if we ever needed to all go somewhere. So now I'm looking at the 4Runner, MDX/RDX, something along those lines. I've had back issues in the past so easier for me to get in and out of a bigger vehicle, otherwise the midlife crisis Corvette would be on the list! And I'm thinking lease as in another two years, it'll just be us, boys off to college (fingers crossed) and we may not need more than one vehicle. I'm thinking right around $500/mo or, again three off to college in a few years...

Consider a ridgeline I think. Other than that, the RDX is very nice, just a size class smaller. Fun to drive. Volvo XC60, can’t beat the Seats! x3 is nice. Maybe cheaper option, a Santa Fe 2.0t limited.

And yes, I just named my current short list, minus the new outback XT!

edited October 2019
    I went through this exercise with @breld last weekend. I reviewed the options by manufacturer

GM - Enclave, Acadia, Traverse, Yukon, Tahoe
    Ford - Explorer, Edge, Flex
    FCA - Grand Cherokee, Durango
    Honda - the Passport is nice; do you want another Pilot?
    Acura - MDX, RDX
    Nissan - Pathfinder, Murano, Armada
    Infiniti - QX60
    Toyota - 4Runner

Plus all the trucks.

I think the challenge will be to find something in the $500/mo range; you might surf the lease threads of the vehicles that interest you and see what others have done. I seem to remember a couple of 2019 Ram truck deals under $500/mo recently.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I had an Armada rental late last year, effectively the same vehicle with maybe less complex suspension. Same thing, it was like going back to 2010 in tech (which is when I think the design debuted). I was almost surprised it had Bluetooth. To its credit, I recall build quality seemed high.
    corvette said:

The QX80 I rented in Tampa is their flagship SUV and did not have CarPlay or blind spot monitoring. :o

Thanks @stickguy and @Michaell, a few of those are already on my list, a few new ones to consider!
    fintail said:

I had an Armada rental late last year, effectively the same vehicle with maybe less complex suspension. Same thing, it was like going back to 2010 in tech (which is when I think the design debuted). I was almost surprised it had Bluetooth. To its credit, I recall build quality seemed high.

corvette said:

Oh, my QX was a base model which didn't have the fancy suspension, so probably the same as the Armada you rented. Brake dive was worse than my 10 year old Tahoe (with the original suspension and 130,000 miles). I really liked the interior other than the dated infotainment. Also, a pet peeve with Nissan/Infiniti products (including my G37) - the sound the doors make when you close them does not have the same sort of solidity as the German makes, and exterior door handles make a tinny, hollow sound when you release them. A little sound deadening would go a long way in fixing those issues, I think.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    stickguy said:

We have nothing special planned this weekend, so I’ll arrange an errand outing that conveniently passes a couple dealers I want to stop at. And a brewery.

I can guarantee the brewery part for this weekend...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator