Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,538
    stickguy said:

We have nothing special planned this weekend, so I’ll arrange an errand outing that conveniently passes a couple dealers I want to stop at. And a brewery.

If I were you I'd just go to the brewery. It's probably free which is a hellava lot better than fighting off the hot-pants urge which could result in taking the chance of writing a check or signing up for lease payments. Deals are always better at the end of the year. You're almost there don't screw it up now. However, you'll be faced with the dilemma of the truth of honest posting in here which could cost you membership to this site. Damn, I'm glad I'm not you. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,899
    Just think he could trade in a beautiful burgundy car for a charcoal grey one. :open_mouth:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,505
    The craft breweries by us are far from free. But very tasty!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    stickguy said:

Craft beer is my hobby. Brewery tap rooms are my favorite places

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

We'll have to get you all to come to Denver and attend the Great American Beer Festival.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    corvette said:

@qbrozen hmm... I'm going to return the Bluedriver to Amazon and may check the Foxwell out.

Depends on your needs. I did buy Bluedriver hoping it would fix my Chevy problem. But, truth is, I'll keep it because it covers all vehicles, while the Foxwell is (currently) ONLY for GM across certain years. This is the first issue I've had that a generic reader did not help me fix.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    corvette said:

@qbrozen hmm... I'm going to return the Bluedriver to Amazon and may check the Foxwell out.

Bluedriver is great for code reading on basically anything. The Foxwell is brand-specific, IIRC. So, for example, I imagine that qbrozen's is for GM. I am not sure whether you can register additional manufacturer data on the same device or not.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

Depends on your needs. I did buy Bluedriver hoping it would fix my Chevy problem. But, truth is, I'll keep it because it covers all vehicles, while the Foxwell is (currently) ONLY for GM across certain years. This is the first issue I've had that a generic reader did not help me fix.
    Oh, whoops. Oh well. That's what I get for responding as I'm reading.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

+1
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited October 2019
    qbrozen said:

pensfan83 said:

qbrozen said:

corvette said:

@qbrozen what tool was that?

I got the Foxwell NT510.
    https://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html
    $129 brand new from ebay
    That's what I have as well! Only used it once so far but it seems pretty intuitive.
    It was easy enough to poke around in, but I was getting worried it would not do what I needed. Took me about 20 mins of methodically clicking through each menu to find the SAS. I know it reports to the BCM, but it was not in that menu of this tool. I forget now where it was, I believe maybe the transmission menu, of all places. I know it isn’t a prepopulated menu, and the tool is only reporting back what it finds as it scans modules, but I’d venture a guess what it was translating as “transmission” was not the transmission at all. Something along those lines.
    Unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable or mechanically inclined as you so I was mainly looking for a reader that would give me an idea of what the issue was and what the expected repair cost would be. In thankfully limited use so far its been good.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    wife and I (and the daughter when she is hanging with us) like to go to the various craft places near us. Some are quite good (beer quality wise) but they are all a fun time.

that scanner QB brought, from looking at the link, comes with 1 software package installed. and you can buy more. If can handle up to 5 packages at a time.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

We have nothing special planned this weekend, so I’ll arrange an errand outing that conveniently passes a couple dealers I want to stop at. And a brewery.

If I were you I'd just go to the brewery. It's probably free which is a hellava lot better than fighting off the hot-pants urge which could result in taking the chance of writing a check or signing up for lease payments. Deals are always better at the end of the year. You're almost there don't screw it up now. However, you'll be faced with the dilemma of the truth of honest posting in here which could cost you membership to this site. Damn, I'm glad I'm not you. :'(

jmonroe
    JM, you’re forgetting that this is stickguy we’re talking about here. No chance of him getting something yet. He hasn’t made his short list of 47 possible choices yet nor gotten lease numbers from at least 5 places on each of them. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

hey, I already cut the short list down to 5. and then took one more off, so it is down to 4!

Remember, this is the wife's car, so the pool of possible options is much smaller. and almost positive this one will be a purchase, not lease.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    May just keep it, then.

Second deck guy came in at $67 a square foot. Cheaper than my regular contractor but not a huge difference either way. Ugh.
    materials not cheap these days. and labor eats you up.

do you have an elevated deck? Any option to take most of it down and go with a patio of some sort?

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

We'll have to get you all to come to Denver and attend the Great American Beer Festival.
    I take that to mean Edmunds is going to spring for travel and room accommodations. What week should we plan for this tasty event? :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I saw a bunch of updates on that on FB. Looks like a fun time. Fattening and causing a headache maybe, but fun.

stickguy said:

do you have an elevated deck? Any option to take most of it down and go with a patio of some sort?

Now you know why I do my own decks. Material costs are not marked up when I buy them and I don't charge myself to put it all together. Deck building is not the rocket surgery professional deck builders would have you believe it is.

jmonroe
    when we bought our first single family house (after a condo) it was a new build. I put the deck on myself (with a little help a few times from friends/family). But it was really not that hard. Just a simple box, maybe 15x20? Nothing overly fancy, but way overbuilt. One beam. Called for 3 posts, I think I put in 4 (maybe 5).

worst part was digging the post holes by hand, In august. In dirt recently packed down by construction equipment. nasty. Did that part after dark.

sold the house after about 7 years. Last time I drove by, sucker was still standing and looked pretty good, at least 25 years later.

only scary part was putting lag bolts into the house sill.

if you can read instructions and use a tape measure and speed square, and a saw, and do basic math of course.

I imagine it can get complicated if you start getting into multiple levels and lots of angles. Mine was barely above grade (probably only had 2-3 steps off the far end to the yard).

Building it is the fun part! After that, it is all work.
    stickguy said:

when we bought our first single family house (after a condo) it was a new build. I put the deck on myself (with a little help a few times from friends/family). But it was really not that hard. Just a simple box, maybe 15x20? Nothing overly fancy, but way overbuilt. One beam. Called for 3 posts, I think I put in 4 (maybe 5).

worst part was digging the post holes by hand, In august. In dirt recently packed down by construction equipment. nasty. Did that part after dark.

sold the house after about 7 years. Last time I drove by, sucker was still standing and looked pretty good, at least 25 years later.

only scary part was putting lag bolts into the house sill.

When I built my first deck in the Summer of '89 (it was on my second house) and it was an extension off of a 7 by 9 foot covered porch. So I made the deck one step down from the existing porch. I guess you could call that a multi-level deck. I used a couple 1/2 lag screws to hold the deck ledger board in place at that point, then used about six 5/8 inch galvanized carriage bolts for the real support at that point. I know that thing was not coming down at that point after all that support. Since the deck was one story up I used six 6 x 6's to build two piers parallel to the house. You were a lot more energetic than I was about the digging because I rented a two man power 12 inch hole auger to drill down 5 feet for each 6 x 6. And yeah, I hit a few bricks that were thrown in as fill when that house was built (I was the second owner). Had to use a manual digger bar to get those bricks out of there but there was NO WAY in hell that I was going to dig six 12 inch diameter holes 5 feet deep manually with a digger bar. That damn sure was not going happen.

That house is just 2 blocks away from where I live now and I see the deck still standing when I ride by. The guy that bought that house when we moved to SC in '92 was true to his word about taking care of the deck because he knew he didn't want to pay to built another one.

Where there is a will there is a way. I mean, c'mon man, we're not talking about performing heart surgery on ourselves; it's just a measly deck.

jmonroe

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134
    I think I recall something quirky on the Armada, like closing the front door hard and seeing it reverberate in the front fender. Interior materials were nicer than expected, no odd rattles etc, but I found the seat uncomfortable for long drives. I imagine when those find retail buyers, they sell at a nice discount. The Escalade I rented last month was exponentially more advanced, but you pay for it.
    corvette said:

Oh, my QX was a base model which didn't have the fancy suspension, so probably the same as the Armada you rented. Brake dive was worse than my 10 year old Tahoe (with the original suspension and 130,000 miles). I really liked the interior other than the dated infotainment. Also, a pet peeve with Nissan/Infiniti products (including my G37) - the sound the doors make when you close them does not have the same sort of solidity as the German makes, and exterior door handles make a tinny, hollow sound when you release them. A little sound deadening would go a long way in fixing those issues, I think.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    edited October 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

I take that to mean Edmunds is going to spring for travel and room accommodations. What week should we plan for this tasty event? :o

jmonroe
    Do you look at life as nothing but a series of opportunities for others to buy you things? :wink:

I've not been to the GABF - tickets sell out quicker than any concert that comes to town, then the scalpers take over.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

xwesx said:

Building it is the fun part! After that, it is all work.

That's why I recommend PVC decking and aluminum rails... no maintenance.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Do you look at life as nothing but a series of opportunities for others to buy you things? :wink:

I've not been to the GABF - tickets sell out quicker than any concert that comes to town, then the scalpers take over.
    It's worked so far, no sense changing now.

As for the GABF event, I suggest you put off helping others do car shopping for a couple minutes so can get us tickets before they're gone. Do you really want to try explaining how you screwed this up for all your poster buddies in here? :'(

jmonroe
    Unless it is elevated, when I finally move if the new house is not already deck equipped, I will be putting in a stamped concrete patio instead of a deck. Probably need a small landing platform though, unless the back is really close to grade level. But I have no intention of putting another deck on. And it definitely won't be wood if I have to.

I did a patio. No maintenance, I even had created with a semi circle at the end to place a fire pit in the middle and chairs around. Nothing glamorous but a nice place to chill with the only maintenance being a power wash once in a while

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ New York car ride, that sounds like an awesome Saturday spending with mom looking at a few potential candidate for at least awesome keep us updated on the role.
    @ Michael, hopefully you in Broad and Dad 23 get out there and do some car looking wanna hear all about it.
    @ add 23 welcome to the group don’t think I said anything prior. I think I saw a posting of yours once before.
    @jmonro. All these questions, I’m the one supposed to be doing the interrogating or we’re gonna start a team here. lol lol
    @ stick guy, hopefully you stop a few dealerships and ice and going to a brewery sounds like a fun weekend.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417

@ New York car ride, that sounds like an awesome Saturday spending with mom looking at a few potential candidate for at least awesome keep us updated on the role.

I’m not going with her. She’s rolling solo on this one. I don’t want to influence her decision. I just find out what she likes, then will cast my net and get her the best price.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Update on Mom’s car shopping. She drove the RX350 and didn’t like it. She said it “felt” too big and it was difficult for her to judge the front of the car while making right turns. The sales woman she is dealing with showed her an NX300 in the showroom. She sat in it and liked it, so they went for a test drive. Mom liked that better anD the sales woman will email me a quote for her based on the parameters I discussed.

She’s going back to drive the Cadillac again now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

might want to try an RDX too.

Crappy leases, no?

Speaking of Cadillac, I happened upon an XT4 in the Starbucks parking lot. What I noticed was another badge on the right side that read 350T. So I had to look that one up, and this is what I found. Pretty darned absurd.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cars.com/amp/articles/dont-be-confused-when-you-see-these-numbers-on-the-backs-of-2020-cadillacs-1420757581840/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Speaking of Cadillac, I happened upon an XT4 in the Starbucks parking lot. What I noticed was another badge on the right side that read 350T. So I had to look that one up, and this is what I found. Pretty darned absurd.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cars.com/amp/articles/dont-be-confused-when-you-see-these-numbers-on-the-backs-of-2020-cadillacs-1420757581840/

It's dumb... but, not much different than Mercedes and BMW having number designations that don't really mean anything, other than one engine is more powerful than the other. (330 vs. 340 or E300 vs. E450)

I guess XT4400 would be a lot, all strung together.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I remember when GM started putting ABS on the back of their cars (80s, 90s?). :D

Everyone has to brag about something.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

Yes, it's elevated, but I think I could do a covered concrete porch.
    kyfdx said:

I remember when GM started putting ABS on the back of their cars (80s, 90s?). :D

Everyone has to brag about something.

And I remember when Lutz decontented it in the early 2000s. ;)
    Yeah, I agree that the latest Caddy numerology is pretty obscure. I suspect that will not last long. Though given they are supposedly GM's flagship line for electrification I guess they will need something other than displacement to proclaim.

It makes far less sense to me when you have only one engine option.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,134
    Regarding Caddy naming weirdness, DeNysschen seems to leave a little chaos in his wake, and also has an ability to fail upwards. Good old boys club.
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 869

@ add 23 welcome to the group don’t think I said anything prior. I think I saw a posting of yours once before.

Thanks, been MIA for quite a while but getting back on the horse, so to speak :)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    edited October 2019
    CEL extinguished in the XF. Woo hoo, the Jag lives to see another day. Hail, Britannia electronics!

Invited the boy to an early dinner tomorrow night, watch the Pats game. I wanna see his new 3 in the wild! See if he bought a tire pressure gauge, snow brush/scraper, flashlight... if not, his birthday's coming...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

CEL extinguished in the XF. Woo hoo, the Jag lives to see another day. Hail, Britannia electronics!

Invited the boy to an early dinner tomorrow night, watch the Pats game. I wanna see his new 3 in the wild! See if he bought a tire pressure gauge, snow brush/scraper, flashlight... if not, his birthday's coming...

Are you soliciting gifts from us? :o

jmonroe

fintail said:

Regarding Caddy naming weirdness, DeNysschen seems to leave a little chaos in his wake, and also has an ability to fail upwards. Good old boys club.

I think the nomenclature change was post-departure.

Snuck a test drive in today. Wife wanted to go to the giant "at home" store a few towns over to look for baskets for the coffee table (my idea was get rid of the dead crap in them and don't have any baskets, was not well received). So, since we had nothing special to do and wife was grumbly about doing something, I offered to take her. Knowing that we had to pass right by a couple of my favorite dealers to get there, so made a quick detour into the Subaru dealer parking lot at about 3:30ish. Surprised (probably good for Subaru) that the place was hopping, but a salesguy greeted us out in the parking lot. Told him we wanted to drive an OB, so got taken inside to see one on the floor and then off to his desk for interrogation some questions.

Oh, did I mention that they pop up a "come in to test drive, get $50" promo when you look at inventory? Of course, I printed that off, and handed to him at the beginning. so in a few days will get a $50 Visa gift card. Not a bad days work. Whenever we can finally get out to Hyundai, they have the same thing, and I definitely will be bringing it! May have to put Cadillac back on the list (they have one too), Hey, cars are expensive (so are baskets), gotta pay for them somehow.

anyway, as to the car. Drove a nice blue OB limited, base engine. Turns out the wife liked the color, a good start. Car is really, really nice. Superb seats, with a nice thigh extension for the driver. we both were comfortable with how we could set them. New giant center screen was very nice, and excellent graphics. The map looked better than having google maps up on my iPad. Puts my TLX to shame. Tons of room in the back seat. Quiet, good ride, nice handling, and being more carlike, great visibility especially to the front. Feels smaller than it really is, especially in tight quarters.

only negatives (admittedly it was a short drive) are that the engine was kinda weak (wife mentioned it had much less oomph than her RDX). Not an issue, since I would get the XT anyway, but always good to test the base engine first to make sure you need the HiPo one. In this case, you do. And the wife really hates the auto stop/start. Normally not a big deal, since you can turn it off. The salesguy did it, but instead of a dedicated button, it was buried about 4 menus deep. Which would be a problem, since per him, it reset every time you start the car to be active. Need some research on that, but could be a deal breaker for her!

anyway, outside of that one quibble, it was a seriously impressive package. No wonder they are selling like hotcakes. And one interesting tidbit. SG said that while in the past the H6 had a very small take rate (>10%) on the new one, the XT seems to be the engine everyone wants, so can't get enough of them for inventory.