Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    jipster said:

jmonroe1 said:

jipster said:

abacomike said:

My 2018 S450 turns 2 years old today with 17,150 miles on the odometer. I have an appointment to take it into the local Mercedes dealer's service department a week from Wednesday for its "B-1" service (2 years or 20,000 miles). I will be needing new tires soon which will cost me about $1200. I am going to try and get as much wear out of the current tires as I can so I won't have to replace them again before turning in the lease.

I have had 2 years of trouble-free enjoyment out of this car. I have become spoiled by this magnificent vehicle. It is going to be difficult to downsize next November - but at least I have had the experience of driving the flagship Mercedes for a part of my life and don't regret my decision to lease one for three years. Still drives like the first day I got it. 😛😛😛

$1200? Are these high performance tires? Not getting much tread life out of them. I'm looking to get around 50,000 miles out of my Coopers. :-)
    50K miles on a set of tires? I'd whack my favorite goldfish for tire mileage like that. The best I ever got was around 42K from a set of Bridgestones on my '95 Bonneville back in the late 90's. The more I think about that the more I think I made a "documentation error". As you regulars in here know, I have been known to do that. :@ :@

jmonroe
    Daughter's car. Actually just replaced. Tires lasted thru her senior year of high school, college, grad school and 5 months of the real world. Probably could have gotten another 10k miles on those Cooper tires, but they were dry rotted a bit. About 7 years old. Replaced with Cooper Evolutions I bought off Amazon. Surprisingly those tires were only 3 weeks old. Didn't think you could purchase them so factory farm fresh. I've had Continental tires, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Big O, probably a couple other brands I can't think of.... I'd have to say Cooper's are the best overall in what I like in a tire. PLUS, they get the Jipster star of approval for the tire that gives you the most bang for your buck. B)
    We put Coopers on many of our vehicles over the years, and we have them currently on the Outback.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited November 2019
    stickguy said:

I have a disposal. would not care if it went away. I never put stuff down the drain. Only run it occasionally in case something sneaks down there. I scrape the plates into the garbage, and then either wash or put into the dishwasher.

It will probably work better if used routinely...keeps the blades from seizing up. Needs a good workout once in awhile.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited November 2019
    driver100 said:

Sorry Imid. To brighten your day this car is the special one featured for this months show.

I prefer my Cruise Cars to be unadulterated, but this one is cute.

That car is eye catching, but it's not what I'd even look at when walking the rows at a cruise in OR
    a car show here. It's NASCAR: there's nothing there of a 1950 Ford other than the shell. It's
    all been replaced underneath and even on the outside of the shell, the paint.

BTW, on the Frazer I posted, notice the top is a darker shade of green paint. That was a
    typical upscale ornamentation at the time--a sign of luxury. The color doesn't show up
    very well because it was near dusk when I took the picture. The car also had pushbuttons
    for door latches if I read right in my early digging. I saw those but I was hesitant to ask the
    owners to open the door. I was just pleased the hood was shut--nothing as aggravating as a
    car show with all the nice original cars sitting with their hoods up like a bunch of robins in
    the next hoping the adult bird will return and drop food into their gaping jaws.

I'll do more research but I think the car is a later
    model maybe 50. I didn't talk to the owners they were busy at the Trunk passing out Treats
    to the leftover Halloween kids and adults roaming the plaza lot. Not my cup of tea.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I don’t want to put garbage and crap down my drain and out to waste water treatment if I don’t have to.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I don't put a lot of food scraps into the waste line. They go in the garbage sack. I can only imagine the food waste rotting in the sewer line water and having to be further broken down by the sewage treatment plant, hopefully, before it's returned to the waterways. I consider it Earth friendly to just put it into the garbage.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Up here all food waste goes into a green bin for weekly or biweekly pickup where it is composted supposedly. Leaves and garden waste join it there. There is no market for the compost but the city uses it in parks and on sports fields. Costs a lot to do though.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    edited November 2019
    I try to not use our disposal too much, I typically scrape the dishes as well.

There may also be a furry friend that gets that duty too!

IMO if you are going to use one to grind up food/bones routinely get a top of the line 1 HP model that makes the particles as small as possible to minimize impact on the sewer line. Our sink is in a corner cabinet and although the cabinet is big the opening isn't large so I went with a fairly compact disposal. It doesn't like bones and isn't great with citrus peels. Grinding up a lemon peel once in awhile helps keep any odors down.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

This morning I had a service appointment for the ATS. When I had it in back in September and got into the wrangle with the dealer about a transmission shudder and the service bulletin recommending a transmission flush using a new synthetic trans fluid to cure the shudder it took two tries before they finally did it, which immediately cured the shudder. But when I picked it up that second time the service writer made a comment that the tech had noticed a leak and that an adapter of some sort needed to be changed. Part had to be ordered in. With the GM strike it did not arrive until last week, so today was the day. It is supposedly a 2-hour job which strikes me as odd, but whatever.

What I found interesting was when I was given the work order to be signed, it said "Customer has noticed a leak under the car". I have not noticed any leak nor did I complain about one. I suspected all along that a ham-handed tech broke whatever it is and this is a way to get GM to pay for the repair rather then them having to eat the cost. This may be common, I dunno.

I have been there enough lately that the service writer knows my preferences, so when she called to make the appointment she said without prompting that she would give me a rental car, and sure enough, today I am back in my favorite XT4 loaner. I have used it enough that my phone pairs with it automatically now. :smile: While I was waiting near the entry doors for it to be brought around I heard, then saw, this rumbling up the street making a lovely sound. It pulled into the service lanes and a young Chinese fellow got out along with his GF/partner. The Chinese flag on the fuel filler door was a giveaway. He also had added some aftermarket accents to the exhaust tips and I am not sure if that spoiler is factory or aftermarket. Just another of the well-heeled foreign students who are driving very fast cars here.

You own this ATS, correct? Not a lease? If so I'd be a little upset about the nagging issues. How was your other one before this?

I've had the 3.6 powertrain in three vehicles now and other than the crankshaft seal early on in the 2012 LaCrosse they have been pretty good to me requiring zero dealer visits other than maintenance.

edited November 2019
    ab348 said:

"Customer has noticed a leak under the car".

I suspect that's a way to get GM to move quickly replace the relucatant piece. If
    the note is that the tech observed a seep showing along a fitting, that doesn't generate
    as much energy as "customer" noticed drip.

I don't know what part didn't seal right. I know that when going from blend motor
    oil or regular oil to synthetic there often are seeps that show up because the synthetic
    carries much better solvents to remove "crud" in spots, opening up seeps.

A connector on the transmission lines to and fro the radiator are things I don't like to touch. I
    always fear they won't reseal, synthetic or regular. I had to change the radiator on the
    98 leSabre and was relieved the connectors resealed okay. The plastic radiator housing
    had developed a pressure split on the compound curved area on the top shoulder.
    Seeped slowly but only when hot.

On the garbage disposers, I pick the higher end models that have sound insulation along with more
    mass which makes them quieter when they are running. My wife uses it more than I use it and
    it's audible in the other room when we had cheaper ones. I installed them myself.

Easy peasy.

Only 1246 1245 posts to go.

tjc78 said:

You own this ATS, correct? Not a lease? If so I'd be a little upset about the nagging issues. How was your other one before this?

I've had the 3.6 powertrain in three vehicles now and other than the crankshaft seal early on in the 2012 LaCrosse they have been pretty good to me requiring zero dealer visits other than maintenance.

The other one had a number of recalls to be dealt with but otherwise was trouble-free. This one has had no issues until recently when the transmission shudder appeared, now fixed. GM had/has a problem with an overly aggressive software program with the 8-speed transmission trying to maximize fuel economy, and this new fluid seems to be the only way to resolve the resulting issues. The main problem locally is that we only have 2 GM dealers here. I am not crazy about this one and have never had much luck with their service department. But the other dealer is the sketchy one I posted about a while ago that was sending misleading sales-promotion emails and the like and has a bad reputation (at least in my mind), so there isn't a lot of choice here.

Like a lot of dealers (maybe most), this one is far too concerned with selling you non-warranty services when you bring it in for warranty work. That really turns me off. They are also far too quick to respond with the dreaded "could not duplicate" when you bring it in with a specific issue. The culture in the service department there isn't good IMO, although I like the service writer lady I deal with. It's a shame upper management doesn't fix things but I suspect they use the same philosophy in all of their dealerships. The bogus satisfaction surveys they do claiming "completely satisfied" responses are necessary or otherwise people you are dealing with could lose their jobs does not help.

One nice thing of living in a major metro area. Lots more dealers to choose from. Of course they also tend to be busier!

On the garbage disposers, I pick the higher end models that have sound insulation along with more
    mass which makes them quieter when they are running. My wife uses it more than I use it and
    it's audible in the other room when we had cheaper ones. I installed them myself.

Easy peasy.

Ours sounds like an 18 wheeler driving through the kitchen.

stickguy said:

I don’t want to put garbage and crap down my drain and out to waste water treatment if I don’t have to.

Just to be clear...98% of food goes into the garbage, the garbage disposal just chews up the little bits that don't get scraped away. If too many larger particles go down the drain they could build up over time......by using the disposal to break up the small bits, and using lots of water....it tends to keep things flowing.

Back home we have 4 garbage bins, recycleables (plastic, cardboard,etc), food and compost type trash, plastic bags, general garbage. In Florida just the first 2.

Imid, I agree about the Frazer car....looks great and much better if like an original. In nearby Sun City people love their golf carts. Walgreens, CVS, Walmart etc all have about 12 parking spaces for golf carts. They are legal to drive on the roads, but not on the main highway of course. Today I saw a 57 Chevy one...looked like this. This will be the next stage for Cruise Nights....checking out Cruising Carts.

edited November 2019
    At the campground we have our park model trailer in (right outside Sea Isle City, NJ) golf carts are a major "thing"

People have theirs all decked out. Our friends spent the cost of a nice used car on theirs and they having it all redone again this off season.

I want to get one for convenience, but really don't care if it is all done up.

Lots of golf courses right along 9.

Just sayin.....

The day I buy a golf cart will probably be the day I have to use the automatic parking feature on the E400.

That there is!

After the golf kart pictures posted I saw this today browsing my old stomping ground's fakebook pages:

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    @imidazol97 I saw something the other day about those car styled boats.
    Maybe made by Evinrude? Sure is pretty.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I think it was Motorweek that did a piece on the Volo museum, they have some car styled boats. The docent said they were not very good boats...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@laurasdada,
    Yes, probably saw it on Motorweek.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Don't most progressive cars have electrically-assisted steering now? No fluid, other than the electrons, to flush out.

Electric fluid, that's blinker fluid right. Optional on BMW's apparently. :smile:

Ha.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    ab348 said:

This morning I had a service appointment for the ATS. When I had it in back in September and got into the wrangle with the dealer about a transmission shudder and the service bulletin recommending a transmission flush using a new synthetic trans fluid to cure the shudder it took two tries before they finally did it, which immediately cured the shudder. But when I picked it up that second time the service writer made a comment that the tech had noticed a leak and that an adapter of some sort needed to be changed. Part had to be ordered in. With the GM strike it did not arrive until last week, so today was the day. It is supposedly a 2-hour job which strikes me as odd, but whatever.

What I found interesting was when I was given the work order to be signed, it said "Customer has noticed a leak under the car". I have not noticed any leak nor did I complain about one. I suspected all along that a ham-handed tech broke whatever it is and this is a way to get GM to pay for the repair rather then them having to eat the cost. This may be common, I dunno.

I have been there enough lately that the service writer knows my preferences, so when she called to make the appointment she said without prompting that she would give me a rental car, and sure enough, today I am back in my favorite XT4 loaner. I have used it enough that my phone pairs with it automatically now. :smile: While I was waiting near the entry doors for it to be brought around I heard, then saw, this rumbling up the street making a lovely sound. It pulled into the service lanes and a young Chinese fellow got out along with his GF/partner. The Chinese flag on the fuel filler door was a giveaway. He also had added some aftermarket accents to the exhaust tips and I am not sure if that spoiler is factory or aftermarket. Just another of the well-heeled foreign students who are driving very fast cars here.

I think they prefer to say a customer noticed a problem rather than admitting the tech is proactively helping the customer..... not sure why. They did the exact same thing recently with the "TSB on my rear shocks." the paperwork stated I had said there was an issue with the rear shocks (which several months ago, reporting a rear noise, could be stretched as the truth, but they fixed that with a wheel bearing replacement, failing to mention the failing rear shocks).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    Just got a call from my brother - he just put down a deposit on a 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT. He expects delivery in the next 2-3 weeks as soon as his dealer receives it. His color choice is Silver with gray interior. MSRP is just over $40,500.

He just bought a Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, so I asked him why he needs a second vehicle? He said he just wants an SUV in the garage when he needs it. His grandchildren come down frequently from the northeast (he has 8 of them) so he will have a car for them to drive. Must be nice! 🤪😜😗

2021 Genesis G90

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Super nice car, Mike. It won't be anything like his Benz of course, but we love our 19 Outback Limited (with the H6 engine).
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Dealership repair departments can get into trouble doing what is termed 'upselling' warranty issues.
    Less risk in saying customer reported it and fixing it.
    Turns out the offending part was some sort of oil cooler adapter fitting. I think (but not 100% sure) that it is actually a transmission fluid cooler.

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

jipster said:

abacomike said:

My 2018 S450 turns 2 years old today with 17,150 miles on the odometer. I have an appointment to take it into the local Mercedes dealer's service department a week from Wednesday for its "B-1" service (2 years or 20,000 miles). I will be needing new tires soon which will cost me about $1200. I am going to try and get as much wear out of the current tires as I can so I won't have to replace them again before turning in the lease.

I have had 2 years of trouble-free enjoyment out of this car. I have become spoiled by this magnificent vehicle. It is going to be difficult to downsize next November - but at least I have had the experience of driving the flagship Mercedes for a part of my life and don't regret my decision to lease one for three years. Still drives like the first day I got it. 😛😛😛

$1200? Are these high performance tires? Not getting much tread life out of them. I'm looking to get around 50,000 miles out of my Coopers. :-)
    Only 2 manufacturers make tires that fit - Pirelli ($1400) and Goodyear ($1200). Run-Flat performance 20" tires. Front tires wear out in 10,000 miles. Original Pirelli's (rear) are still on the car - 17,250 miles. The front tires wear out so fast and the car is in perfect 4 wheel alignment. UGH!
    It bothered me that I had to get tires for the C250 at 30000 miles....can't imagine tires wearing out at 10k miles. You spend a fair chunk of money for new ones....and hardly anyone notices. No one comes up to you and says nice tires.
    Just joking a bit, because it is a nice feeling to have more control on wet roads, and better steering...I did notice that.
    If no one's told you "nice tires!" then you haven't had truly nice tires! :smile:

People notice the Sport Cup 2's.... though maybe only because they are noticeably aggressive.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Every year something breaks down when we come back to Florida, and usually when we go back home. This year it is the Garbage Disposal Unit. Now, we have covered a lot of topics, but, I don't know if we have covered GDUs before.
    Do you know how much work it is having to scrape everything off of a dish so you won't clog up the sink? We take GDUs for granted, but, let me tell you they are worth every penny of the $95 it costs to get a new one. Most stores including Home Depot and Lowes have them for $95, but with Amazon we ordered it Saturday by noon, it arrived the same day for that same price. At HD you order it and then pick it up when it arrives at the store.

Now we have to get "The Guy" to come in and install it...he is off for a few days with sciatica.

Wow, first world problem of the idle rich. :) Never had a garbage disposal. Never thought it a burden to scrape a plate. I do let the butler open my car door though. :p
    I would say a garbage disposal is a necessity these days. That and a microwave oven, oh, don't want to forget a dishwasher, washer and dryer, air conditioner, cell phone, computer, etc.

btw....A garbage disposal probably costs less than using Mr Plumber a few times a month. The $95 model lasted 9 years.....about $10 a year not to have to scrape tiny bits off plates, and a lot of food like rotten tomatoes can be thrown right down the drain. A good one can mulch chicken bones.
    I agree on the microwave but a garbage disposal a necessity? I don’t think so. I can’t use one with my septic system. I haven’t had to use Mr. Plumber on the kitchen drain in the 38 years I’ve lived here. The bathroom drain is another story with all that soap and hair.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I have a disposal. would not care if it went away. I never put stuff down the drain. Only run it occasionally in case something sneaks down there. I scrape the plates into the garbage, and then either wash or put into the dishwasher.

It will probably work better if used routinely...keeps the blades from seizing up. Needs a good workout once in awhile.
    An Italian tune up on a garbage disposal?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    abacomike said:

He said he just wants an SUV in the garage when he needs it.

I’d have to ask him, “Then why didn’t you order an SUV?” ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

abacomike said:

He said he just wants an SUV in the garage when he needs it.

I’d have to ask him, “Then why didn’t you order an SUV?” ;b
    Wasn't there just an article that 90% of the wagons sold in the US are Outbacks? Looks like Subaru is successful at renaming a wagon an SUV.

@imidazol97 I saw something the other day about those car styled boats.
    Maybe made by Evinrude? Sure is pretty.

That is really cute. I never heard of that before, but it seems to have been a fairly popular thing to do. The 59 Chev seems to be the most popular to match;

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Every year something breaks down when we come back to Florida, and usually when we go back home. This year it is the Garbage Disposal Unit. Now, we have covered a lot of topics, but, I don't know if we have covered GDUs before.
    Do you know how much work it is having to scrape everything off of a dish so you won't clog up the sink? We take GDUs for granted, but, let me tell you they are worth every penny of the $95 it costs to get a new one. Most stores including Home Depot and Lowes have them for $95, but with Amazon we ordered it Saturday by noon, it arrived the same day for that same price. At HD you order it and then pick it up when it arrives at the store.

Now we have to get "The Guy" to come in and install it...he is off for a few days with sciatica.

Wow, first world problem of the idle rich. :) Never had a garbage disposal. Never thought it a burden to scrape a plate. I do let the butler open my car door though. :p
    I would say a garbage disposal is a necessity these days. That and a microwave oven, oh, don't want to forget a dishwasher, washer and dryer, air conditioner, cell phone, computer, etc.

btw....A garbage disposal probably costs less than using Mr Plumber a few times a month. The $95 model lasted 9 years.....about $10 a year not to have to scrape tiny bits off plates, and a lot of food like rotten tomatoes can be thrown right down the drain. A good one can mulch chicken bones.
    I agree on the microwave but a garbage disposal a necessity? I don’t think so. I can’t use one with my septic system. I haven’t had to use Mr. Plumber on the kitchen drain in the 38 years I’ve lived here. The bathroom drain is another story with all that soap and hair.

Maybe you need to attach one to the bathroom drain.

When you get used to having one it becomes a necessity when it breaks down. I used to think a TV channel remote control was unnecessary, power windows, steering wheel heater, GPS, but now I don't want to lose having them.

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

The other one had a number of recalls to be dealt with but otherwise was trouble-free. This one has had no issues until recently when the transmission shudder appeared, now fixed. GM had/has a problem with an overly aggressive software program with the 8-speed transmission trying to maximize fuel economy, and this new fluid seems to be the only way to resolve the resulting issues. The main problem locally is that we only have 2 GM dealers here. I am not crazy about this one and have never had much luck with their service department. But the other dealer is the sketchy one I posted about a while ago that was sending misleading sales-promotion emails and the like and has a bad reputation (at least in my mind), so there isn't a lot of choice here.

Like a lot of dealers (maybe most), this one is far too concerned with selling you non-warranty services when you bring it in for warranty work. That really turns me off. They are also far too quick to respond with the dreaded "could not duplicate" when you bring it in with a specific issue. The culture in the service department there isn't good IMO, although I like the service writer lady I deal with. It's a shame upper management doesn't fix things but I suspect they use the same philosophy in all of their dealerships. The bogus satisfaction surveys they do claiming "completely satisfied" responses are necessary or otherwise people you are dealing with could lose their jobs does not help.
    If it makes you feel any better my 1995 Lincoln had a similar shudder. It involved the torque converter. Common problem on the Mark VIII. Solution was the same, change the fluid. In my case I also had them add a quart of a product called Lube Guard. Shudder gone and stayed away for the 40k miles I owned the car.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    I agree - it's a wagon - but I won't tell him that - he wants an SUV. Why mess up his use of the English vernacular? He's happy he bought an SUV! 😝

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

I agree - it's a wagon - but I won't tell him that - he wants an SUV. Why mess up his use of the English vernacular? He's happy he bought an SUV! 😝

Yeh but the kids are going to know it is only a wagon :'(

it has a lot of utility, is actually quite functional off road (well, dirt roads where any soft roader is ever going, and even a bit more aggressive trails) and none of them are vaguely sporty.

so it is an SUV (CUV these days).

there is a vette like that local to me know. very low miles. Some doc (plate reads "surfdoc") must of gotten tired of his toy quickly. Or maybe could not handle a manual trans, since it has an honest to goodness stick shift and clutch!

not subtle though. especially the interior. Nor is it cheap.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2019-chevrolet-corvette-2dr_z06_coupe_w_2lz-used-1g1yr2d66k5602046.html

This law firm seems to have a much closer "interpretation" to mine than @snakeweasel for the passing lane laws, particularly as relates to CA and "slower traffic keep right." The left column is the law, the right column appears to be their definition of what it all means.

Law Firm 1, @snakeweasel 0

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SLOWER-TRAFFIC-KEEP-RIGHT.pdf
    edited November 2019

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

If it makes you feel any better my 1995 Lincoln had a similar shudder. It involved the torque converter. Common problem on the Mark VIII. Solution was the same, change the fluid. In my case I also had them add a quart of a product called Lube Guard. Shudder gone and stayed away for the 40k miles I owned the car.
    Almost all Fords of that era (4.6 / 4 speed) have/had shudder. My Gandfather’s 93 Town Car Cartier did it almost from day one. First time dealer changed torque converter. It came back 5k later and since it had become a more widespread problem the known cure was the new fluid and additive. After that it never shuddered again for 5 years (on that same fluid )

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

I think it was Motorweek that did a piece on the Volo museum, they have some car styled boats. The docent said they were not very good boats...

One of these days I just have to get to the Volo museum. I mean it's only an hour away and I go by it several times a year.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

“Maybe you need to attach one to the bathroom drain.”

You mean like this guy did?

I understand that Volo is more of a consignment shop than a museum - I gather everything is for sale, and not everything is museum-quality - but can still be entertaining to browse.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    andres3 said:

This law firm seems to have a much closer "interpretation" to mine than @snakeweasel for the passing lane laws, particularly as relates to CA and "slower traffic keep right." The left column is the law, the right column appears to be their definition of what it all means.

Law Firm 1, @snakeweasel 0

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SLOWER-TRAFFIC-KEEP-RIGHT.pdf

Reread it, they are agreeing with me.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

This isn't much different. GM replaced a lot of torque converters on these under warranty at first until they realized that wasn't the problem. The fix is a new kind of synthetic Mobil 1 transmission fluid that apparently is ridiculously expensive (I was told the fluid itself is worth $300) and requires a very specific and complex flush/refill procedure using specialized equipment. So far it seems to be the fix.