Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inside gauge lights gradually dim.

sdnysdny Member Posts: 8
edited November 2019 in Toyota
I have a 95 camry that the inside gauge lights gradually dim until they are all out. If the lights are off for about an hour they will come on bright and gradually dim again. What could be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Electrical gremlins are always tricky to pin down. Your lights dimming could be a sign that your alternator is going south.
  • Options

it is just the inside gauge lights, btw i have new battery
  • Options
    also the headlights are normal
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The power for the dash lamps comes from the 15amp oparking light fuse. If the parking lamps are "normal" while the problem is occurring, then testing should start at the dimmer (rheostat) and ground circuit (G200) in the Left Hand kick panel.
  • Options
    I will check to see if the parking lights are normal when this happens. Thanks
  • Options
    checked the parking lights they are working fine when this happens
  • Options
    Then you have your starting point with the dimmer and the instrument panel ground. Get a schematic, and be ready to test when you make the problem occur again. Remember that all of the testing should be done while the issue is present.
  • Options
    strange thing happened tonight, the lights were going on and off-hey would stay on for about 5 minutes then go off then repeat.
  • Options
    Just the dash lights, not the parking lights, right?
  • Options
    right just the dash lights
  • Options
    Then the problem is just in the dash light circuit, which includes the dimmer rheostat. Do you have a schematic available and do you know how to do voltage drop testing?
  • Options
    no i don't have a schematic nor do i know how to do voltage drop testing