Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,763

Why not just buy the damn thing?

$600/month for five years

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

Yes, we could certainly drop to an LE or a lower optioned XLE. It wasn't so much Mom worrying about the price, its me wanting a good lease.

I spoke with her. She is fine with the payment. I am going with one more quote and then we will put a bow on it next week.

As for buying? She hasn't owned a car for probably 20 years. No time for her to start now.

I think I've discussed this car here more than my own!

About $30750 adjusted CAP.

It's a reasonable deal. It isn't like you were looking for the best payment on any small CUV. She wanted the RAV4. I think you did just fine.

Tell her that in three years, then next will be more than this one.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Guy said it was the fastest deal he has ever done

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Nicely done!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    good deal. Mom owes you one! Though she does live with you, so maybe you are even.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    After much pain, sweat, and tears, the old tcase is lying on my garage floor. I pried it away from the trans about 1.5 inches and came to a halt. Came to the conclusion that the damned useless exhaust bracket was interfering. I laid down on the engine, determined this thing is coming out one way or another. Stuck my arm way down into the abyss with a ratcheting wrench and broke it free. Got a little further but the cat was being a pain, so I took a saw to the bracket on the cat that wasn’t being used anyway and did away with it. Exhaust slipped out after that, followed by the tcase. Whew! Tomorrow afternoon begins reassembly. Hope I can figure out where everything goes since so much was done by feel.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'm sure that will buff right out..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

gonna be quite the hot rod without a cat or exhaust!

My mechanic was closed for a week, for vacation.

Just got to my "new" '08 Fit today.

Front sway bar links: $200
    Air filter, valve adjustment (every 60K), spark plugs, valve cover gasket: $450.

He says it is in overall good shape, but runs like crap (despite my extensive examination.. lol), and the sway bar links are causing a ruckus, but not that big of a deal.

I am really not a good judge of value in a very used car.. but, he says I did "okay".

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

My mechanic was closed for a week, for vacation.

Just got to my "new" '08 Fit today.

Front sway bar links: $200
    Air filter, valve adjustment (every 60K), spark plugs, valve cover gasket: $450.

He says it is in overall good shape, but runs like crap (despite my extensive examination.. lol), and the sway bar links are causing a ruckus, but not that big of a deal.

I am really not a good judge of value in a very used car.. but, he says I did "okay".

Considering all of that would have cost 2-3x for a euro, I’d say you did fine.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I think my mom is going to want a RAV4 for her next car. She claims the Camry isn't giving her access issues, but she wasn't able to get in and out of the E with complete smoothness - she's hitting that older boomer age where ride height is going to be handy (my brother in law has a Tribeca he bought a decade ago and loves, my mom likes riding in it). My brother has started a job with a 40 mile/day commute and hates driving his S10 on it, so he borrows mom's Camry as doesn't use it every day. Maybe she'll give it to him.

qbrozen said:

After much pain, sweat, and tears, the old tcase is lying on my garage floor. I pried it away from the trans about 1.5 inches and came to a halt. Came to the conclusion that the damned useless exhaust bracket was interfering. I laid down on the engine, determined this thing is coming out one way or another. Stuck my arm way down into the abyss with a ratcheting wrench and broke it free. Got a little further but the cat was being a pain, so I took a saw to the bracket on the cat that wasn’t being used anyway and did away with it. Exhaust slipped out after that, followed by the tcase. Whew! Tomorrow afternoon begins reassembly. Hope I can figure out where everything goes since so much was done by feel.

I’d have set the car on fire and roasted marshmallows by this point.
    Oh, it came to mind. I cursed it and its creators to no end.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Do you miss the BMW, at all?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    qbrozen said:

You are one stubborn, beastly human! Congrats on the accomplishment!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    qbrozen said:

Well, as infuriating as it was at the time, you're making me feel really good about how "smoothly" my wheel bearing replacement on the Q7 went. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    also making me feel good about not having old cars that need major surgery!

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

Do you miss the BMW, at all?
    No. I love the Charger. :)

edited November 2019
    Everything I’ve read points outs the Front/AWD GM SUVs aren’t fun to work on at all.

Update on my "new" '08 Honda Fit.

My indy mechanic closed up for a week to go on vacation. He just got to my car, yesterday.
    Both front sway bar links are broken: $200
    "This thing runs like crap".
    Valve adjustment (required every 60K)
    Valve cover gasket
    Spark plugs
    Air filter ("filthy")
    $450

$650 total.

Just an FYI, in case you think I have good judgment on used cars.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It’s a crap shoot in that market.

I looked over a Taurus once for my SIL. Nice shape, clean fluids, good maintenance history, no rust.... puked the transmission with no warning about a year into ownership.

assuming the bones of the engine are solid, and the clutch/tranny is good, once you get this deferred maintenance done it should last a long time without much drama. Really is a pretty simple car, by today's standards. And can always flip it.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    "$650 total.

Just an FYI, in case you think I have good judgment on used cars."

What's that - two car payments these days? As Stick pointed out, it is likely to run many many more miles with only routine maintenance. The trick is to have a good indy you can depend on to help keep it up, and you've got that covered.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    stickguy said:

assuming the bones of the engine are solid, and the clutch/tranny is good, once you get this deferred maintenance done it should last a long time without much drama. Really is a pretty simple car, by today's standards. And can always flip it.

I might be out $400 for some tires...

Of course, can't be sure this is all that is wrong, until the work is done. Hopefully, it runs good.
    Clutch, shifter and other mechanicals seem good. No rust.
    One plus: No automatic tranny to blow up and turn it into a lawn ornament.
    Also, I only drive about 600 mi/month now.

With tax/fees and all, I'll have about $3700 in it, plus repairs/maintenance. If I end up under $5K, it should be a reasonably good deal. I want to drive it this winter, and if I get it sorted out, I may flip it to my son, who is driving the leased Tacoma. That ends in June.

Insurance
    My State Farm agent quoted $480/yr for full coverage
    Price without collision/comp was $275/yr
    Was going to go for that, when the agent said that $250 deductible comprehensive was just $40/yr.
    So, that's what I ended up with. $315/yr for my normal liability limits plus comp. (no deductible on glass breakage here) It is an extra car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"$650 total.

Just an FYI, in case you think I have good judgment on used cars."

What's that - two car payments these days? As Stick pointed out, it is likely to run many many more miles with only routine maintenance. The trick is to have a good indy you can depend on to help keep it up, and you've got that covered.

Ah... it's an extra car, and I don't have payments on the other one, either. For under $5K, I get to play around with it, keep the summer tires on my other vehicle, and see where it goes.
    My mechanic is honest, dependable, fairly proficient and too cheap. Without him, not sure I would have bought this.

Downside: It's been cold as hell, here, and I'm still riding on summer tires, while this car has been on ice for two weeks. Fortunately, the roads have been dry, and I know what I'm working with. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    For those of you who don't frequent the cars and conversation thread, I thought I'd let you all know that I am now starting to post onto the curbside classic website. My first post in the cars of a lifetime series went live this morning:

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/cars-of-a-lifetime/coal-1979-pontiac-sunbird-a-beige-car-in-a-beige-land/#more-334675

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited November 2019
    Cool. As you may remember I drove a 76 Sunbird while I was in college. It had the V6, 5sp, ac, ps, pb, light metallic blue with two tone blue and white interior. Other than needing a replacement clutch, it was reliable. It was comfortable and quiet compared to my friend’s B-210. I traded it in 83 for a similar color
    80 Mazda 626 coupe 5sp and a car payment of $106 at 15% for 36 months. Good times.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I was wondering whether the “runs like crap” part was before or after the air filter, valve adjustment, and spark plugs.
    corvette said:

I was wondering whether the “runs like crap” part was before or after the air filter, valve adjustment, and spark plugs.

Before... that work hasn't been done yet. He called me on Friday afternoon to give his diagnosis, and see where I wanted to go with it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Sounds like a great winter beater to be honest. Always have liked them but the front seat was just too harsh for my bad spine. I felt the medal bars in the lower seat cushion and it hurt so passed on a Fit. Sat in a new one recently and it was so much better, more padding I'm guessing. And from what I've read, the HR-V is based on the Fit. Shame it doesn't have the 1.5 turbo engine of the Civic as every publication I've read has said the HR-V is a decent vehicle but under powered. Think there might've been one in my garage if this wasn't the case. Plus, the lack of radio knobs is a killer for me and won't even put it on the short list. Miss the reliability of a Honda but in reality, my '06 Civic LX had some issues that were un-Hondaesque and they ended up paying only 1/2 for the three weird issues I encountered. Thought that was so wrong of them but, took what I could get.
    As I've gone over the 60K point with my Golf, am thinking it might be time to look to something newer. Of course, if the Enterprise gig does in fact become reality, once I officially leave Hertz, my driving will be cut down dramatically so it'll stay in the pack.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Enterprise does work quickly and all my paperwork is completed and I got copies last night. If they only go back 3 years on the driving record, I'm cool. But, in 2013 I had a couple issues and in early 2014, 2 more. One was going 19 in a 15 mph school zone plus the other was for going 75 in a 65 zone of I-95 and both of these did show up as I paid both fines. I had gone to school for the 2013 infractions. But if they start looking at 2015 on up, I'll be golden. Funny, the fender bender I had with a Hertz vehicle in March of 2014 didn't show up as I thought I got the ticket. But recall that I went to school for that one possibly. Senior memory is fading a bit.
    Plan is if Enterprise is a go is to stay at Hertz till years end so I can get my year end bonus. Depending on how they take my news, could see me working a couple of days/week for a bit. If my spinal issues don't get in the way, could be doable. But again, need to heed the income limits of social security as I don't want to exceed them and lower the ridiculous amount I get now! Really is super unfair but, that's another story!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ Send man, was thinking of you Thursday the on the venue is out, there’s some dealers in Florida that have them. So a couple of car if he was. But on locally here in Long Island New York as of yet. It makes a nice cool blue color can’t tell how nice it is though I have to be there in person watching reviews doesn’t do me much good with that obviously.
    @QB glad if they were a removing some stuff you want the transfer case out of the equinox finally, I know you’ll figure out how to put the new one in without any major issues. Feeling around helps big time take it from me ha ha Ha. But good luck, and keep us updated. I’m glad you’re loving your other car the charger so much too as well.
    @TJC quiet after painfully looking around for a bit, you found a dealer to have the car in stock but mom wanted with a payment that she’s happy with with just putting the first months payment down sounds good to me that’s what I would do with any least these days. I know these leases are out rages these days and probably just gonna get worse, and for some more people to just buy used. But we’ll see. Just have to play the game and I go with one dealer and shop around when you find a car that you like with multiple dealers even out of state if you have to. Even when it comes to leasing, because the payments can vary from each dealer to dealer I realized that’s for sure.
    @ Send man, was thinking of you Thursday the on the venue is out, there’s some dealers in Florida that have them. So a couple of car if he was. But on locally here in Long Island New York as of yet. It makes a nice cool blue color can’t tell how nice it is though I have to be there in person watching reviews doesn’t do me much good with that obviously.
    @ Sandman, so glad to hear the interview went well at the other company, good luck and I hope you get the job which will be a lot closer to home. I don’t see why you wouldn’t just keep praying and keep your fingers crossed and keep us updated. Enjoy your weekend. By the way how was the auto show we went to last weekend are you still up going?
    Taking S to the Seattle Auto Show this afternoon with my BIL. His first time. He asked if it was like when we go to CarMax. Told him it was even better.
    Unfortunately Marco, didn't make it down to the show. The logistics got in the way so have decided to just wait to the smaller Ft. Lauderdale show in March. Much easier to get to and even though smaller, I'll get to see most of what I need to.
    The denim edition Venue wold be the one I'd be looking for. Would pay the extra premium for the options it has and since I love blue, it's a win win for me. I'll check online to see if the local store has any for me to go test drive.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Charlotte New Auto Show next week. It is in the convention center directly across the street from my office. I plan to go after work on Thursday and am looking forward to it. It will be interesting to see what makes don’t show as, sadly, it seems lately fewer participate.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I’m not sure where I am at moneywise on the Chevy. Pretty sure I am still under $6k. Carfax claims it is worth $6750 retail. LOL.

I saw that Mercedes, BMW and Mini skipped the Miami International Auto Show last week. From what I thought, the Miami show starts the new year car shows and with the South Florida area being a big MB, BMW & Mini market, curios as to why they'd skip us altogether. Makes no sense really as so many folks where we live drive them. Just very curious to me as to why the no show. The Ft. Lauderdale show in March is much smaller, so can see why maybe they choose to skip that one. I'd enjoy seeing some of their entry level models at a show where I could spend some time just seeing if the interior is a place I'd be wanting to spend some time in as the dealers want to get you in and out quickly. Personally, I need some time behind the wheel to see if this is something I'd consider buying some time in the future.

Seems so odd to me but, the more I see the new Toyota Corolla hatch, he more I like it. We have had a few of the CV-R's at work and very similar inside and out. Like the way they drive and thinking the Corolla hatch has a smaller blind spot in back, something I'd prefer. I like the bronze color and the pearlized ivory colors the best with the ash interior. Not much for a black interior anymore to be honest. And if it'll have Sirius/XM radio as an option, so much the better for me. And 90% of the time, it's only me in it as when we go out together, the A3 is the vehicle of choice, which is fine with me. My Golf is a bit cluttered inside, nothing that a 10 minute clean-up wouldn't solve. But since mine has almost 8K more miles on it, would rather use the Audi.
    Gotta a feeling I'm gonna end up getting something new in a very short time span once I decide on what that'll be. Once I make my mind up, don't take me very long to just do it. With the Golf, bought in a weeks time but, most of that was spent just deciding what to do with the Tucson. This time, think it's gonna come down to just two vehicles and a test drive back to back that will probably be all I need to make the decision.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    edited November 2019
    I like those Corolla hatches too. Just be sure the infotainment system is to your liking. That Toyota system is a bit different.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Q, my guess, with the transfer case sitting on the floor of your garage, you are not getting that much for the old buggy!

Well, I have Apple Car Play since I've got an iPhone XR currently and the couple I saw today online shows Sirius/XM as an option which I've also currently got. So, I'll be good no mater what I suspect. As much as I lime my current XM radio, I've got almost 900 songs in my iTunes library so when I shuffle them, I usually don't hear the same ones too often.
    I know at Hertz where I currently work, I've had to use my iTunes more since they discontinued the free Sirius/XM in their rentals. As long as I've got my lightning cord and a usb port, I'm good to go music wise. Or if the move is pretty short, just listen to the FM radio.
    I know that Toyota's infotainment systems ain't the best but can easily work around that especially if I want more grunt from the system. I've found a couple of stereo shops down here that know how to make most factory systems sound a bit better by adding an amp or just changing out the stock speakers where they tend to use the worst stuff. Most folks are satisfied with mediocre sound in their personal vehicles but I prefer to ramp it up a notch if possible.

stickguy said:

Q, my guess, with the transfer case sitting on the floor of your garage, you are not getting that much for the old buggy!

Well, it isn’t on the floor anymore. Lol. Was a busy day so I only got to spend about 90 mins on it today, which was enough to get the “new” one cleaned up, filled up, and set in place. It isn’t fully mounted yet just because it is a laborious process of cranking on each bolt a turn at a time to get it to fuse itself to the transmission again. I’ve got about a quarter inch to go. Haha

good luck with it. sounds like the end is in sight. Hope it all works when you are done and there are now parts left over!

I think the wife decided what she wants. We have a friend visiting and the daughter was over, and an Hyundai ad came on TV, and she pointed to the red Santa fe and said something like "that's the one I want".

wasn't expecting it, but at least she didn't pick a Bentley!