Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    driver100 said:

I drove taxis when I was going to Teachers College. I really got tired of people telling me where they wanted to go all the time.

Heh. Yet you come here and subject yourself to people telling you where to go all the time. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

That thing about floor joists I still don't get.....I know nothing at all about house building.

This was from 2013 when your Ontario house had a problem with the kitchen sink not draining and you had to call 2 different plumbers to get it fixed, and felt that you got ripped off by the second one (though they fixed the problem permanently by running a new pipe under/over.through floor joists).

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thought I’d stop by and see how everyone was doing. Seems as if logging into Edmunds was turning glitchy a few months ago. So, I quit trying.

Looks like all’s well.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Thought I’d stop by and see how everyone was doing. Seems as if logging into Edmunds was turning glitchy a few months ago. So, I quit trying.

Looks like all’s well.

Thanks for stopping in! How are you? How's the TLX? Junior's GTI?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    edited November 2019
    Our garage fridge the wife insists on keeping is one we bought for new house in about 1990. Looks grungy but works. I only plug it in for a few weeks to hold turkey day overflow. Fired right up, a little noisy but gets cold really quick. A couple hours later, already had ice cubes in the trays.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

nyccarguy said:

Looks like all’s well.

Thanks for stopping in! How are you? How's the TLX? Junior's GTI?
    All good. TLX is getting ready to hit 35K. Nothing but oil changes and tire rotations. Differential fluid was changed and I changed out the interior and engine filters myself. Getting around 22 MPG around town and topped out at 37 MPG on an all highway run of about 350 miles doing ~70MPH-80MPH in the hills of OH and KY (ending up in Nashville, TN). Very pleased with it.

Although, it’s going to need tires here probably sooner than later. Wondering if I can get one last winter out of them.

The son’s GTI has been great, too. He’s lucky. He is pushing 40K miles and is probably past due for tires. Just routing maintenance on his car. Had a slight bumper bender when someone “tapped” him in the rear a couple of months ago. But, new bumper and paint, everything’s back to new.

He’s getting the itch. Me, not so much. That’s a switch.

There’s just nothing out there right now that would make me want to give up something that’s been so reliable, cheap to drive and a little sport thrown in. Maybe the TLX S-Type. But, that’s probably a year away.

Not sure if I was posting then, but actually got my hands on a G70. That’s the one to get. Might be a contender if the itch needs scratching. Really nice drive. Fast...very well put together. Premium materials inside and out.

Every 3 mos or so the Kia dealer pings me. Over the phone they’re offering me $39,900 for a GT2 Stinger all loaded up....probably a $53K-$54K MSRP. Tempting, but the G70 is a better car.

Went to Copenhagen for a week In October for work, and stayed another several days just for personal time. Really enjoyed that.

The GF is pushing for something more serious. May be “fish or cut bait” time.

For Blues and “new grass” aficionados, saw David Bromberg at my alma mater last weekend. Put on a helluva show.

Funny, he was probably 3-4 songs into his set and did the obligatory “thanks for having me...hope you’re having fun....etc” routine. Someone in the audience yelled out “it’s too loud!”

He started laughing and said, “dude, I’m 70+ years old...if it’s too loud for you, you really don’t know my music.” He then told his sound man to “turn it up to 11” as he started a blistering slide guitar song. The guy who was complaining got up and left while Bromberg gave him the middle finger salute and said he wasn’t getting a refund. Audience thought that was pretty funny.

You good? How’s your Taco?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    ab348 said:

Heh. Yet you come here and subject yourself to people telling you where to go all the time. :laughing:

You mean here?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited November 2019
    stickguy said:

Our garage fridge the wife insists on keeping is one we bought for new house in about 1990. Looks grungy but works. I only plug it in for a few weeks to hold turkey day overflow. Fired right up, a little noisy but gets cold really quick. A couple hours later, already had ice cubes in the trays.

The one in my basement is ancient, I keep beer and drinks down there and the freezer always has something in it.

Outside still looks great, the inside door shelves are brittle and cracking more and more. It owes us nothing and from a time when things were still made well. There aren't any dates on it, but I'm guessing early 80s. It was in the house when I bought it in 2005.

I cringe to think what it runs me in electric monthly, but how long would it take to get my money back in savings if I spent $600 on a new one?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    driver100 said:

Here is a hypothetical question. Our inexpensive Whirlpool Florida fridge is 18 years old. It is white, but really getting tarnished. Seems to work OK, but, my fear is it will break down, and we will have to manage without a fridge and of course lose all our food inside it...including all my Moose Tracks Ice Cream.

I can get a comparable new fridge for $900. Would you gamble the fridge will last, or buy one now....or possibly on Black Friday if the prices drop?

I assume it's turned off while you're gone back to Canada...
    It will probably keep right on working. Most failures come in the first months or few years.

It sounds like you're wanting a replacement for the size space you have. That would be your
    only justification if you get a newer internal configuration.

I doubt the yellowed paint will be clear up with anything.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I know my Frigidaire fridge is getting up there in age, probably 12 or 13 years old. It runs fine (although it has always made some strange snap/pop noises from time to time) but its biggest weakness is the interior. The bars that hold things on the door shelves are plastic and cracked, the plastic piece on the bottom front of the freezer compartment also is cracked but intact, and the crisper drawer hangs on a couple of plastic runners that break every year or two. I've gone through several sets and have now resorted to wiring the broken ones into place until I replace the thing when I finally get around to renovating my kitchen.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I think fridges are one of those "don't make em like they used to" items. 18 years seems like a very good run. My mom seems to only get about 10 years out of one, where the Coldspot "beer fridge" at my grandma's house was bought when they moved there in 1965, and it is still purring along just fine in the garage. The kitchen fridge, a mid-century style model in coppertone, soldiered on until around 2010, when it was replaced due to a broken door shelf that couldn't be repaired - it still ran fine. Same with the wall oven, it worked fine but the seal had perished, and it apparently couldn't be repaired to grandma's liking, so she replaced it. The cooktop range and vent hood are still original (also coppertone, as was the oven), along with counters and cabinets etc, looking like a time capsule.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

“Every 3 mos or so the Kia dealer pings me. Over the phone they’re offering me $39,900 for a GT2 Stinger all loaded up....probably a $53K-$54K MSRP. Tempting, but the G70 is a better car.”

Wow! How do you get dealers to come begging with such screaming deals? $39k off of $53k list, that’s a give-away unless the Stinger is an extremely poor seller and is stinking up the lot. There must be a boatload of trunk money hiding somewhere.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

I understand about driving a school bus......I would have to be desperate for a job, I'd rather work in a McDonalds. Speaking of which, I desperately needed a coffee yesterday so stopped at a McDs. Thought I would get a bagel or something small to go with the coffee......all they showed on the signs were Breakfast sandwiches, 800 calories and all were over $5! What is going on in the world?

That thing about floor joists I still don't get.....I know nothing at all about house building.

Are you sure you were in Mickey D’s? Up here they have all the breakfast sandwiches on special for $2. Egg McMuffin is only 300 calories.

As for the joist thing just click on RB’s link and scroll down one post.

“driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 25,134
    June 2013
    Wasn't the floor above the joist nailed to the joist?

Hope this helps. Most joists or beams run north and south and they are about a foot apart. This is a cross joist that runs East and West and they are about 20 feet apart. Yest, the floor could be nailed to them. Some of these are steel beams. This one is 3 thicknesses of wood, each is about an inch thick. Even with the 4 1/4 inch pipe running through it, there is maybe almost 3 inches of wood below and 1 1/2 to 2" of wood above it.

I doubt it would compromise the strength at all....all looks pretty solid.”
    OK, yes, from 2013! My long term memory isn't great, especially trivial matters. At that time we called in a plumber because the drain from the kitchen sink was completely plugged up, for the 3rd time. The last plumber said the water drained for a long distance, so 1) the pipes in the basement should be on more of an angle, and 2) the builder probably let a kid work on the drainage pipe because the one installed wasn't as wide as it should have been. The plumber put in a larger pipe, and he put it on a larger slope....and to do that he had to drill a new and larger holes in the cross beams (or joists). I guess someone asked if the joists were large enough to do that and they are....they did really try to build the house to maximum standards.

About the $2 egg McMuffin....I couldn't see it listed anywhere....everything came as a meal deal and one special was get another breakfast thing for $1 more,,,,but, I wouldn't get through one of those. I had a granola bar that I keep in the car....90 calories, and was probably better!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

Here is a hypothetical question. Our inexpensive Whirlpool Florida fridge is 18 years old. It is white, but really getting tarnished. Seems to work OK, but, my fear is it will break down, and we will have to manage without a fridge and of course lose all our food inside it...including all my Moose Tracks Ice Cream.

I can get a comparable new fridge for $900. Would you gamble the fridge will last, or buy one now....or possibly on Black Friday if the prices drop?

An 18 y-o fridge owes you nothing and is probably on borrowed time.

Yes, wait until Black Friday.
    I like this answer the best. For some reason the fridge is turning yellowy on the handles and where the water/ice levers are. I bought a fridge about 30 years ago for $900, I can get a nice side by side for the same amount. Mrs D really likes the ones that are "Counter Deep", only 26 inches deep instead of 30 inches, more room to get around someone with the fridge doors open. They tend to cost more though....like $1300.

The biggest problem is if this one dies, lots of food to try and get rid of. Especially bad if it goes in the summer when we aren't here. Black Friday sales might be worth waiting for. Another thing is if we buy it now we have the time to research and get what we want...if we buy when it breaks down.....we get what is available as fast as possible.

I don't know how many more years we can come to Florida, but this fridge will go sometime, a new one will last for as long as we will need it for.

I hope you don’t leave good in there over the summer!

edited November 2019
    Do you leave the refrigerator running during the summer when no one is there?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @driver100,
    As soon as you mention a new fridge, your wife is going to want all new more modern style kitchen appliances.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    I'm ok with the Mach E name, but a Mustang model and styling(lights), not so sure.
    Maybe it looks better in person.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We finally had to replace our side by side GE that was 30 years old in May. I have a contract on the house for the appliances with light plumbing and electrical. Those techs kept our fridge going but this last time, the fridge door came off in my hands as the bottom joints had rusted clear through. One needed to be strong to lift the door closed...I could do it but the wife, no way. The ice maker had died about 7 years ago so I was using trays to make the ice. Went over to Lowe's and got a new Whirlpool side by side unit which turned out to be going on sale the next morning. Since the sale signs were put out a bit too early, the guy gave me that better sales price, so I said sure.
    Don't wait dude, when Black Friday comes, head on over to Lowe's, Home Depot or Brands Mart and pick up a new one. Brands Mart will probably be the cheapest. We like Whirlpool appliances and everything except the original GE oven/stove is now Whirlpool. Had to buy/replace the water filter today as the light came on Friday. It said every 6 month or so to replace that filter and damn, it's just at the 6 month point and it came on. Went over to Lowe's and picked one up, installed in a sec. Will look on Amazon.com to see if I can find one a bit cheaper and if so, will just have one here ready to go.
    Get the new fridge, you'll never regret it. It's nice to have cold ice cream again!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

ab348 said:

PF_Flyer said:

Oh, that was just a stock photo I was using to show the color on a Civic. I didn't have a chance to take a photo, and I have to REALLY anticipate if I want the wife to get her phone out to take a picture of something :)

If a Civic was painted the same red as that TLX, it was a respray. The TLX paint is a similar metallic premium paint like on my ATS or Mazda’s Soul Red. Civics usually offered a solid red that isn’t metallic.
    I assumed it was a respray. Just was sitting in the sun distracting drivers from the road ahead :)
    Maybe things have changed, but it always got me, you get colors like silver or a metalic blue...on a KIA, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, anything it is the same price....get those colors on a BMW or Mercedes, pay $800 extra for it!
    The BMW's and Mercedes generally give you a much better paint job than the Kia's and Honda's and Toyota's and Chrysler's of the world.
    That doesn't explain why they would charge more for different colors.
    There might be increased costs for certain paint formulations. Probably not to the extent they charge though. The paint on my Mustang was a $400 option.
    The increased costs would be minimal considering it's only going to take 2 to 4 gallons of paint to paint a car.
    Didn't Ford say you could have any color you want as long as it was black? Costs more to personalize.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited November 2019
    I'm a criminal.

I checked out at Kroger and was buying a cough/cold medicine. I scanned cold med and then scanned the next item. The machine said it was calling for help to verify that I was over 21 LOL.

After that I continued scanning the rest of my things. When I looked at my receipt at home, the item scanned after the cold medicine didn't register--it beeped that it read the item after the cold med but the screen was then covered up by the message to me saying the cashier on the U Check lanes had been called.

One large plastic pack of cherub tomatoes. What should I do?

Walmart's machines used to verify age for purchase of glucose test strips,
    but actually it wasn't an age verification but was notice they can't be returned.

I buy spray paint. It wants to know I'm over 21.

I buy white out. It wants to knwo I'm over 21.

I have fun telling the nice ladies, "I'm over 21. Want my ID?"

edited November 2019
    @driver100

Lowes is strange about when great sales occur on items like appliances. I'd start shopping now to see a fridge that you like. Then keep checking online to see when they have a good sale. Also, when a model changeover occurs, the previous model goes for great pricing.

Lowes says they have black friday sales already. I'm almost tired of Christmas music already with all the stores trying to cash in more days of folks buying Christmas stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Black-Friday-Savings/4294689725?cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-brd-_-mdv-_-google-_-brand_core-_-Brand+Core+Exact-_-lowes+black+friday-_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ueQys335QIVQx6tBh1-2AtTEAAYASAAEgLBLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

I drove taxis when I was going to Teachers College. I really got tired of people telling me where they wanted to go all the time.

Well, I would miss it if no one did it now....brings back fond memories.

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

This was from 2013 when your Ontario house had a problem with the kitchen sink not draining and you had to call 2 different plumbers to get it fixed, and felt that you got ripped off by the second one (though they fixed the problem permanently by running a new pipe under/over.through floor joists).
    The 1st plumber used a long snake...it cost about $400 and only worked for awhile...kind of a band aid fix. The next GUY came from 1-800-STINKY...a big company that advertises. Didn't really like his truck parked in our drive with STINKY on it. We needed the sink working, the next day we had 20 people coming over. They were supposed to arrive at 9 a.m. I kept phoning and they told me he would be there shortly. Finally got there at 1 p.m. Gave me a price of $1200 to fix it....I could refuse at that point but who am I going to get at 1 p.m.? So, I thought, I'll get it fixed then fight about it after.
    The guy knew what he was doing...he figured it out....did a beautiful job and it has worked ever since. But, $1200 for 2 hours of work, 40 minutes was going to the store to buy a pipe.
    I argued with the company after. They sent a supervisor. He said we have high overhead, we don't work out of our basement like some companies do. I'm not responsible for his overhead. He also said the guy over estimated the time it would take.....he could have adjusted the price. I told him I will be putting it on every consumer program I can find...along with Yelp etc. He gave me a refund of $300.
    The guy was a genius fixing it...but, yes, a complaint because the job was worth $400 at the most.

driver100 said:

I assume it's turned off while you're gone back to Canada...
    It will probably keep right on working. Most failures come in the first months or few years.

It sounds like you're wanting a replacement for the size space you have. That would be your
    only justification if you get a newer internal configuration.

I doubt the yellowed paint will be clear up with anything.
    The first few years we turned off the fridge when we returned to Canada. It had to be emptied, door left open, and all food had to go. Then we decided to leave it going, we can still keep things in the freezer, and it is a good storage place for things ants might get into, and it only costs about $3 or $4 a month to run....total electric bill is about $28 a month for a/c left at 84 and fridge.

The temperature contro for the freezer is a bit wonky, it looks grungy because of the yellowing, especially the push handle for water, and I don't like thinking about rushing around finding a replacement if it goes suddenly, or worse when we are away.

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

PF_Flyer said:

ab348 said:

PF_Flyer said:

Oh, that was just a stock photo I was using to show the color on a Civic. I didn't have a chance to take a photo, and I have to REALLY anticipate if I want the wife to get her phone out to take a picture of something :)

If a Civic was painted the same red as that TLX, it was a respray. The TLX paint is a similar metallic premium paint like on my ATS or Mazda’s Soul Red. Civics usually offered a solid red that isn’t metallic.
    I assumed it was a respray. Just was sitting in the sun distracting drivers from the road ahead :)
    Maybe things have changed, but it always got me, you get colors like silver or a metalic blue...on a KIA, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, anything it is the same price....get those colors on a BMW or Mercedes, pay $800 extra for it!
    The BMW's and Mercedes generally give you a much better paint job than the Kia's and Honda's and Toyota's and Chrysler's of the world.
    That doesn't explain why they would charge more for different colors.
    There might be increased costs for certain paint formulations. Probably not to the extent they charge though. The paint on my Mustang was a $400 option.
    The increased costs would be minimal considering it's only going to take 2 to 4 gallons of paint to paint a car.
    Didn't Ford say you could have any color you want as long as it was black? Costs more to personalize.
    Yes Ford said that and the reason was that Ford wanted to put out as many cars as possible. Making all the cars the same color made this possible as there was no need to halt production to change paint colors. Supposively black was chosen because it dried faster.

Now since no automaker sells all their cars the same color the analogy of "you can have any color you want as long as its black" doesn't fit here and doesn't explain why some colors cost more.

Do you leave the refrigerator running during the summer when no one is there?

Yes we do. Not things that need refrigeration....usually packaged good that ants might get into.....sugar, condiments, salad dressing, cereal in packages, nuts, things like that.

Freezer just has bread.....most things get thrown out. Nice to have a few things when we get back.

I mentioned before my trick for making sure the power wasn't off for a long time. Take a bottle, fill almost to the top with water, freeze it, put some coins on top of the ice, put the cap on and leave in the freezer, if the coins sink, don't eat anything that was in the freezer.

@driver100,
    As soon as you mention a new fridge, your wife is going to want all new more modern style kitchen appliances.

No......the white will be close enough and all the appliances are different now. The fridge is grainy looking so is different anyway. She does "want' and "need" certain things, but, is also pretty sensible.....maybe not at the main home.

Had to buy/replace the water filter today as the light came on Friday. It said every 6 month or so to replace that filter and damn, it's just at the 6 month point and it came on. Went over to Lowe's and picked one up, installed in a sec. Will look on Amazon.com to see if I can find one a bit cheaper and if so, will just have one here ready to go.
    Get the new fridge, you'll never regret it. It's nice to have cold ice cream again!

I tend to agree with you sandman.....we want a side by side and prefer Whirlpool but Frigidaire and Amana and maybe G.E. all seem pretty good. Also, Home Depot and Lowes are the handiest to buy from. They hook up the water for $20, and take away the old one for $20. I get filters on Amazon and keep back ups around.

@driver100

Lowes is strange about when great sales occur on items like appliances. I'd start shopping now to see a fridge that you like. Then keep checking online to see when they have a good sale. Also, when a model changeover occurs, the previous model goes for great pricing.

Lowes says they have black friday sales already. I'm almost tired of Christmas music already with all the stores trying to cash in more days of folks buying Christmas stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Black-Friday-Savings/4294689725?cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-brd-_-mdv-_-google-_-brand_core-_-Brand+Core+Exact-_-lowes+black+friday-_-0-_-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ueQys335QIVQx6tBh1-2AtTEAAYASAAEgLBLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the link. All the stores have the same products and similar pricing. I think the prices now are pretty much the price for Black Friday. This is one I like, it might be worth another $50 or $150 to get the next model up.

Lowes: Frigidaire 25.5-cu ft Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Ice Maker (EasyCare Stainless Steel)

Item: #852869
    Model: #LFSS2612TF
    (4078)
    $849.00 Reg $1,299.00
    SAVE 34% thru 12/05/2019

I'm a criminal.

I checked out at Kroger and was buying a cough/cold medicine. I scanned cold med and then scanned the next item. The machine said it was calling for help to verify that I was over 21 LOL.

After that I continued scanning the rest of my things. When I looked at my receipt at home, the item scanned after the cold medicine didn't register--it beeped that it read the item after the cold med but the screen was then covered up by the message to me saying the cashier on the U Check lanes had been called.

Throw yourself on the mercy of the court.😿

When I forgot to scan a case of cat food I just walked back in and scanned it, paid and walked back out. Nobody seemed to care but who knows if security was preparing to swarm if I tried to drive away.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Walmart's machines used to verify age for purchase of glucose test strips,
    but actually it wasn't an age verification but was notice they can't be returned.

I buy spray paint. It wants to know I'm over 21.

I buy white out. It wants to knwo I'm over 21.

I have fun telling the nice ladies, "I'm over 21. Want my ID?"

Walmart also verifies age for Stabil. I asked the lady “are kids really drinking this”? She said I’d be surprised.

I'm a criminal.

Go in and pay for them next time!

Looks like all’s well.

The gang is all still here... I think we are on Refrigerator discussion part 6.

edited November 2019
    So here is a minor rant...

I'm sure most of you now have cars that are fully connected to your cell phone. BT calls, car play, text notifications... etc etc

So this morning I'm bopping along music cranked and BAM... I get in a text message thread that had 27 messages in about 5 minutes. Every 10 seconds my music was being interrupted.

I know I know... first world problems but just a little annoying!

We finally had to replace our side by side GE that was 30 years old in May. I have a contract on the house for the appliances with light plumbing and electrical. Those techs kept our fridge going but this last time, the fridge door came off in my hands as the bottom joints had rusted clear through. One needed to be strong to lift the door closed...I could do it but the wife, no way. The ice maker had died about 7 years ago so I was using trays to make the ice. Went over to Lowe's and got a new Whirlpool side by side unit which turned out to be going on sale the next morning. Since the sale signs were put out a bit too early, the guy gave me that better sales price, so I said sure.
    Don't wait dude, when Black Friday comes, head on over to Lowe's, Home Depot or Brands Mart and pick up a new one. Brands Mart will probably be the cheapest. We like Whirlpool appliances and everything except the original GE oven/stove is now Whirlpool. Had to buy/replace the water filter today as the light came on Friday. It said every 6 month or so to replace that filter and damn, it's just at the 6 month point and it came on. Went over to Lowe's and picked one up, installed in a sec. Will look on Amazon.com to see if I can find one a bit cheaper and if so, will just have one here ready to go.

I get our filters on Amazon. A three pack is a good bit cheaper than in the stores. Some generic brand but seem to do just fine. Our water is really good and I don’t even think we need a filter but it can’t hurt.

tjc78 said:

I'm sure most of you now have cars that are fully connected to your cell phone. BT calls, car play, text notifications... etc etc

So this morning I'm bopping along music cranked and BAM... I get in a text message thread that had 27 messages in about 5 minutes. Every 10 seconds my music was being interrupted.

I never bothered to figure out how to get texts to appear in CUE on the ATS. I'm sure there must be a way. Don't know if the phone needs a cable connection (which I almost never do) or if it can do it wirelessly. If the latter, it must require a separate setup vs. phone calls.

I normally don’t have CarPlay running so don’t see texts come in. And when they do, pretty sure it just pops up on the screen but doesn’t interrupt audio.

I haven't linked my Samsung to the Malibu by turning bluetooth on. When I connect the charging USB cable to the port in the armrest, once in a while the radio finds mp3's on the phone. I get the playing of various doorbell sounds which I have as my incoming notifications. Other times, it just starts charging. I've never understood why it searches and finds the mp3's at times and not others.

Maybe the many on here who know more about phones and cars can explain?

edited November 2019
    tjc78 said:

I get our filters on Amazon. A three pack is a good bit cheaper than in the stores. Some generic brand but seem to do just fine. Our water is really good and I don’t even think we need a filter but it can’t hurt.

I'm glad you mentioned having no problems with the generic/off brand filters from Amzn. I've not tried them. I just put in a new Whirlpool filter every year and half or so instead of every 6 months.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    H
    tjc78 said:

My 2 Series announces a new text with a small envelope icon in the iDrive. At that point I can have the car or Siri read them to me.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I haven't posted much the last few days. Been under the weather. But azithromycin has done wonders and I'm going to start working toward that 25000 reward.

Only 1203 1202 to go. LOL

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

I haven't posted much the last few days. Been under the weather. But azithromycin has done wonders and I'm going to start working toward that 25000 reward.

Only 1203 1202 to go. LOL

Isn't the new rule, "25K buys the pizza" ??? ;)
    edited November 2019
    Sounds good to me.

When I saw PF had posted right after my 25000 remark, I was sure
    he was going to tell me that reward had been discontinued, or I had failed
    to meet the time deadline, just like the limited mileage/months on an auto warranty expires. :'( LOL

stickguy said:

I normally don’t have CarPlay running so don’t see texts come in. And when they do, pretty sure it just pops up on the screen but doesn’t interrupt audio.

This one is through the Volvo system. Have to dig in and see if there is a way to disable the sound/music mute.

@roadburner, Volvo works much the same I can tap the banner that pops up to read the text.

tjc78 said:

I'm glad you mentioned having no problems with the generic/off brand filters from Amzn. I've not tried them. I just put in a new Whirlpool filter every year and half or so instead of every 6 months.
    I always go longer than six months, that is for sure!

Gotta hand it to South Dakota for coming clean.

About the tomato blister pack from Kroger that didn't scan right... my wife decided I shouldn't worry about it.
    The large pack makes up for the two small packages of the same Cherub tomatoes a few weeks ago that we almost rotten when purchased. We should have taken those back for refund.

BTW the store hasn't had the small packs in stock since then, either.

“Every 3 mos or so the Kia dealer pings me. Over the phone they’re offering me $39,900 for a GT2 Stinger all loaded up....probably a $53K-$54K MSRP. Tempting, but the G70 is a better car.”

Wow! How do you get dealers to come begging with such screaming deals? $39k off of $53k list, that’s a give-away unless the Stinger is an extremely poor seller and is stinking up the lot. There must be a boatload of trunk money hiding somewhere.

@kyfdx...

I think there’s a lot of turnover at the Kia dealer. Since I was there 9 mos ago, I’m sure somewhere I’m in their database with the fact I was looking at a Stinger. One sales guy leaves, another one gets his/her database to try to mine. It’s nearly always at the 90 days from the last contact I’ve had with them. That’s when I get the phone call. Probably the original sales person lasted 90 days, then his replacement lasted 90 days, etc.

Who knows how much trunk money is in those Stingers? Everything I’ve read states Kia is having a devil of a time selling them. On the other hand, that price may be a “c’mon” just to get me in the dealership and they add PPI, Dest charges, etc to it.

Right now, I’m on the sidelines.