Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 530i-premium pkg- buying question

sohi_mohisohi_mohi Member Posts: 8
edited November 2019 in BMW

I am planning to buy BMW 530i 4 cyl with premium package and total price is $41997 with 9000 miles on it. Do you think it’s a good price , this vehicle is not owned by anyone and I will be the first owner. BMW used it for demo purpose. Does it make sense to buy a bmw 530i if I want to keep it for 5 years or more. Also the dealer is in Alabama and he will be shipping the car to my home. I did a face time and car looks good , do you think I should go personally and check it out ,I live in houston Texas and was trying to avoid the 8 hr drive.

Is is safe to do this transaction over the phone or online and get it shipped directly to home.?, Bmw dealer said he will overnight the paperwork and I need to sign it and send them back, credit application is online.

If there is issue with the vehicle is there a return policy for bmw?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    sohi_mohi said:

I am planning to buy BMW 530i 4 cyl with premium package and total price is $41997 with 9000 miles on it. Do you think it’s a good price , this vehicle is not owned by anyone and I will be the first owner. BMW used it for demo purpose. Does it make sense to buy a bmw 530i if I want to keep it for 5 years or more. Also the dealer is in Alabama and he will be shipping the car to my home. I did a face time and car looks good , do you think I should go personally and check it out ,I live in houston Texas and was trying to avoid the 8 hr drive.

Is is safe to do this transaction over the phone or online and get it shipped directly to home.?, Bmw dealer said he will overnight the paperwork and I need to sign it and send them back, credit application is online.

If there is issue with the vehicle is there a return policy for bmw?

What is the original MSRP?

There is no return policy.

There is less risk with a new car dealer, and a nearly new car, but I would never buy a car and have it shipped to my house. I'd spend the money on a plane ticket and drive it home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sohi_mohisohi_mohi Member Posts: 8
    It says retail price $57595
    sohi_mohi said:

It says retail price $57595

Seems like a pretty good price.

You can check Edmunds price tools, here:
    https://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes seems like 40995 tradein, 43751 private party and dealer 45000
    Thanks for your help, I think I might fly in and do the transaction.
    Experts.. In the above mentioned car ( BMW 530i 2019 model premium package with 9000 miles on it)which I am planning to buy from a BMW dealer, it is NOT a certified car by BMW dealer. I asked the BMW dealer and he said its a new car which was not titled before and it does not need certification. He said he can certify it if the I want to pay for it. As if now it has only manufacturer warranty of 4 years/50000 miles. Do you think this would be an issue to buy this without certification? or is it Do you think its worth spending money to get it certified by BMW dealer.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    sohi_mohi said:

Experts.. In the above mentioned car ( BMW 530i 2019 model premium package with 9000 miles on it)which I am planning to buy from a BMW dealer, it is NOT a certified car by BMW dealer. I asked the BMW dealer and he said its a new car which was not titled before and it does not need certification. He said he can certify it if the I want to pay for it. As if now it has only manufacturer warranty of 4 years/50000 miles. Do you think this would be an issue to buy this without certification? or is it Do you think its worth spending money to get it certified by BMW dealer.

If it hasn't been titled, it's not eligible for certification.

It's up to you to decide if 9000 miles off the warranty term is worth it to you. Can you get it for a substantially lower price than a new car with, say, 50 miles on it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Thanks for your reply, this advice will help me make a decision.

The car does not have a sticker where actual MSRP price is written, it has a buyers guide stuck on the window, which says NO warranty from dealer, Manufacturer warranty still applies and there is service contract available for extra charge. Do you think sticker with MSRP price should be there for proper verification?. As if now MSRP price is shown on the dealer website and it I feel it true due to the current market value of similar vehicle configuration.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,268
    sohi_mohi said:

Thanks for your reply, this advice will help me make a decision.

The car does not have a sticker where actual MSRP price is written, it has a buyers guide stuck on the window, which says NO warranty from dealer, Manufacturer warranty still applies and there is service contract available for extra charge. Do you think sticker with MSRP price should be there for proper verification?. As if now MSRP price is shown on the dealer website and it I feel it true due to the current market value of similar vehicle configuration.

Again, it comes back to whether the car has been sold previously, or not. If it has been sold once already, then it is technically a used car, and the window sticker wouldn't apply.

The selling price should be substantially lower than what you could get a new car for.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The dealer said it has been used by the BMW executive/ demo car etc not titled so far and i will be the first owner.
    Also do you think I should get the car check by an outside technician, overlooking the fact that it is sold by BMW dealer and its not been titled yet. The problem for me I am out of state and doesn't know a good technician to get it checked.
    sohi_mohi said:

The dealer said it has been used by the BMW executive/ demo car etc not titled so far and i will be the first owner.

The dealer has the original window sticker, or can print a copy of it, from the VIN number. Tell them you want to see it.
    sohi_mohi said:

Also do you think I should get the car check by an outside technician, overlooking the fact that it is sold by BMW dealer and its not been titled yet. The problem for me I am out of state and doesn't know a good technician to get it checked.

No... the car is under warranty. Make sure that you will still get the maintenance plan that comes with a new car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator