Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    stickguy said:

browsing around, this is the exact Santa Fe we would get if the wife decided to move ahead. This happens to be a slightly used one, but really did not change for 2020, so 7 months won't wipe out all the new car smell!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/790881595/overview/

That is distinctly not red. Didn't you say she wanted a red one? Or was the pointing out of it in the commercial just to say she wanted that model?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    She liked the blue better.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I’m debating phone upgrade too. Also have a 7 and battery not what it used to be. But I don’t want a payment so will nurse it along. And one day stop at apple and impulse buy!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    I have a 6s. Had a new battery installed earlier this year, and it runs iOS 13 really well. I had planned to upgrade next year, as I assume it won't receive iOS 14, but Apple has been continuing to fix security issues on iOS 12 devices (like my iPad mini 2), so if they keep that up, I may hold onto it a little longer. I would love to see them change over to USB-C on all iPhones/iPads.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    USB C for which end? The phone end or charger/comp end? The 11 Pro is USB-C on the charger/computer end already.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Upgraded to an 8, this Spring (from a 5!)

My son just upgraded from X to 11 pro (max? not sure).
    Ridiculous...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    Now that I'm used to it, I like my XS quite a bit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tjc78 said:

That's typical shifting behavior. I've driven a few of those Equinox's as rentals and that is what I remember.

Thank you!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited November 2019
    kyfdx said:

Ridiculous...

Our yung-uns need to have the latest and greatest :) .
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    carnaught said:

kyfdx said:

Ridiculous...

Speaking of that..

He is 25 yrs old. Really into cycling. Yesterday, he was rear-ended by a car. Fortunately, looks like just bruises and road rash, and really sore. But, it trashed the rear wheel on his bike, and his derailleurs (electronic shifting), and maybe some other issues. I stopped buying the bikes, once he got in college, so I had no idea what he had in this one. He built it himself, when he would see parts he really liked, at a discount (carbon fiber frame).

Dropped off his bike today, and he asked the owner of the shop what it would cost to replace it. The answer: $10K!!

Asked him how much he had in it.. uh.. about $6K. Unreal. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited November 2019
    tjc78 said:

USB C for which end? The phone end or charger/comp end? The 11 Pro is USB-C on the charger/computer end already.

The phone end. They’ve started switching the high end iPads to have USB-C on the device (and all MacBooks now charge via USB-C), I just wish they’d switch everything over to be consistent and help people avoid charger cable insanity.

Since I charge most of my devices overnight, the "rapid charge" functionality isn't that useful to me. The last MacBook I set up for somebody else, I never unboxed the charger, just charged it up with a regular 12w USB charger and a USB-A to USB-C cable.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,384
    kyfdx said:

carnaught said:

kyfdx said:

Ridiculous...

Speaking of that..

He is 25 yrs old. Really into cycling. Yesterday, he was rear-ended by a car. Fortunately, looks like just bruises and road rash, and really sore. But, it trashed the rear wheel on his bike, and his derailleurs (electronic shifting), and maybe some other issues. I stopped buying the bikes, once he got in college, so I had no idea what he had in this one. He built it himself, when he would see parts he really liked, at a discount (carbon fiber frame).

Dropped off his bike today, and he asked the owner of the shop what it would cost to replace it. The answer: $10K!!

I hope he received the driver's insurance information and opens a claim - both for the bike as well as for any injuries that might develop. He is very lucky it wasn't worse.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,967
    My newer MacBook Air has the usb-c cable which I like cause either way one plugs it in, it works. I have so many lightning cords now that they'll be useless once all the iPhones switch over to usb-c connectors. You'd be surprised how many cords folks leave behind and other drivers who have android phones seem to always throw me any lightning cords they come upon.
    The Apple store took me early and tweaked a few things and sent me on my way. The diagnostics were all within specs and no rational reason for the meltdown yesterday. Did suggest I use one of my softer cases so the side buttons will work better. The cover I've been using is super hard plastic, great for protection, but the Apple tech even he felt how the side buttons weren't responding as they should. Simple fix as I've got a couple cases at home, all softer. Picked up a few cases on OfferUp at ridicuouosly low prices. So now, I swap them out every so often.
    Boca store in the Town Center was crazy busy with so many folks. But the Apple techs all wear the same shirts and are easy to spot. Got there about 50 minutes early, said no problem and within 8 minutes, I was with a tech. Did a bunch of tweaks to my XR and then did some kind of diagnostic using a tablet device. Came back as running perfetly so after a few questions and changing of settings that were wrong and could've caused yesterdays issues, I was on my way. Already walking in my door at 4:30, so glad I went up early as going home traffic was starting to ramp up to a fevered pitch.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Well, Sandy, here's hoping that the device behaves itself for a while now!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I still do not do cell phones, but I'm considering getting one for my son next year after he is 16. It's shocking to me how much these things cost! The phone aspect, though, is pretty cheap. It would likely cost me less to have a cell than to keep my land line... at least before I factor the device itself into the cost equation.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    kyfdx said:

carnaught said:

kyfdx said:

Ridiculous...

Speaking of that..

My brother is an avid cyclist and has an addiction to bicycle purchases in the same vein as I have my own obsessions. :)

There are a few cars I have purchased that cost less than some of his bikes.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    breld said:

My brother is an avid cyclist and has an addiction to bicycle purchases in the same vein as I have my own obsessions. :)

There are a few cars I have purchased that cost less than some of his bikes.

Well, we all have our weaknesses.

I have been a fan of the band Steely Dan for a while. Back about 15-20 years ago they had a very entertaining early website that was largely their own creation and both Walter Becker and Donald Fagen wrote a lot of the content. Becker had the nickname "Gearslut" because he could not stop buying guitars and amps.

He died in 2017 and recently his estate auctioned off literally hundred of pieces of equipment. It brought in $3.3 million, virtually all of it just guitars and amplifiers.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Steely Dan, first heard them while I was at Tulane in late 1972 and have been an avid fan ever since. Those two made absolutely phenomanel music together Felt as bad when Walter died as I did when Karen did back in the early 80's!
    Love my iPhone and hopefully, things will be fine now. Need a gps for work and have all my music in my iTunes on the phone.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Got my renewal bill for Sirius/XM for 2020 and they want almost $250!! that's f'ing nuts, no way in h-ll am I going to pay that much. My top limit id $90/year plus taxes/royalties. That's it so gonna have to play the game again. And if it don't work, will just wait a few months as I might be ready to buy a new vehicle in early to mid 2020, so will get it on the new one. Turns out all the vehicles on my short list have Sirius so we're good there. As much as I love the variety on the 12 or so stations I have in my favorites, could take a few months off and use the iPod/iPhone to listen.

edited November 2019
    xwesx said:

I still do not do cell phones, but I'm considering getting one for my son next year after he is 16. It's shocking to me how much these things cost! The phone aspect, though, is pretty cheap. It would likely cost me less to have a cell than to keep my land line... at least before I factor the device itself into the cost equation.

If you have good native T-mobile service and can connect to WiFi at most of your destinations (work, home, school), it’s hard to beat Mint. I pay $180 / year for service and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. If I’m traveling internationally, $20 or $30 in international roaming gets me enough bits to survive until I can buy a SIM card that’s native to whatever foreign country I’m in.

The devices are not cheap, if you prefer (as I do) to keep something which still receives security updates. I think Android’s official policy is three years from device release date; Apple doesn’t put anything in writing but tends to support their devices longer.

The two strategies I’ve used in the past are to either buy a recently released flagship device, *or* the next most recent device (heavily discounted), just after a new flagship is released. I’m fairly careful with my devices, but I have friends who break a phone every 6-12 months, so it might be different if you’re buying for someone who is more haphazard.

The cell phone insurance my credit card includes is not available to me because I don’t have a monthly cell phone bill, and that’s one of the requirements.
    I'll also add that the performance of your phone as it ages also has to do with the apps you're using. If your company installs mobile device management software or you use memory intensive applications, you may start to feel your device age faster than others. I generally get 2-3 years before mine are feeling painfully slow.

I have the XS now. It's fine. Entirely too expensive, but I like the camera.

If your company installs mobile device management software or you use memory intensive applications, you may start to feel your device age faster than others.
    Entirely too expensive, but I like the camera.

That's the reason I have a work computer on my desk, but also a personal laptop, tablet, and my phone. My company installs spyware on the work computer, but can't on my personal devices. It's nice to have another screen, which is my official excuse. :D

The camera on the 6s is good, but I'd like something a little better. I also have a great DSLR, so the camera alone isn't a great excuse to upgrade my phone.
    I work from home and just have my iPad on the desk for personal surfing. My work laptop is squeaky clean. Maybe a few views of an article on MSN (which for some reason is the default homepage). An odd choice since most of the links from there are restricted.

some people use work machine for all kinds of surfing, and even stuff like home banking, which I would never do.

stickguy said:

some people use work machine for all kinds of surfing, and even stuff like home banking, which I would never do.

I did, before they put spyware on all the machines. They used to only have three licenses for it and only installed it on the remote workers' machines.
    The spyware really doesn’t matter, any good network guy can see your traffic without ever touching your PC.

I won’t do banking at work, but certainly log on here a few times a day. If ever questioned I would counter with them going after all the smoke break abusers!

My office is the last door before the lunchroom/smokers area and the abuse is off the charts. Some go out 5 times or more a day. I don’t know how they get anything done.

tjc78 said:

The spyware really doesn’t matter, any good network guy can see your traffic without ever touching your PC.

No, they can't--I use a VPN if I'm doing anything sensitive.

One of the recent hires is constantly taking a smoke break--gets their work done, but has to stay late in order to do so. I prefer not smoking and leaving at 5:00. :p
    I keep a personal computer on my desk at home next to my work one, as well.
    VPN... yeah that’s one way to do it!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    tjc78 said:

Waiting for the 2020 model as think they'll be major changes like a usb-c cord and 5G ready.

My wife's 11 PRO Max has both of those.

I think I have to finally retire my 7 Plus. Battery life is getting dismal and the home button is getting flaky. It's been a good run (3 years). It's also slightly bent so it's had a hard life.

I have the 6s. Got a new battery for $29 and it works great again. I’m keeping it until I really need a new one. Instead I replaced my iPad (battery cannot be replaced) for less than half the cost of a new phone. Love my new iPad and will just keep on truckin with the older phone as long as it can still be updated.
    If I remember, you didn’t buy that phone new, isn’t that right?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    No it was brand new. I’ve actually never gotten 3 years out of any phone.

My A5 just showed up on Echopark's website. They "shipped" it down to Colorado Springs, which I'm curious as to how that decision is made.

It's listed for $37,239...they paid me $35,000 for it. How does that business model work?

I mean...it works for me.

May have found the future replacement for the wife's Alltrack.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29851066/vw-id-space-vizzion-concept-ev-revealed/

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    breld said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29851066/vw-id-space-vizzion-concept-ev-revealed/

That's sharp looking. Size of your V90, eh?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

2022 launch? That is what, 4-5 cars down the line?

and the Audi probably needed nothing. Take it in, detail it, put it on the lot, sell at that price, and make a quick $2K profit.

kyfdx said:

Look! It’s an SHO! B)

The extremely rare LX trim level SHO. :p
    soooo... yeah. Not happy with the Equinox right now. That whirring noise I mentioned is pretty bad. But it ONLY happens when the weight of the car is shifting forward. Accelerates and cruises serenely. Its just under braking and under a certain speed that I get the noise. I can lessen it a bit if I shift to neutral before braking, but just a little. hmmmm...

qbrozen said:

soooo... yeah. Not happy with the Equinox right now. That whirring noise I mentioned is pretty bad. But it ONLY happens when the weight of the car is shifting forward. Accelerates and cruises serenely. Its just under braking and under a certain speed that I get the noise. I can lessen it a bit if I shift to neutral before braking, but just a little. hmmmm...

Sell. Sell. Sell.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2019
    qbrozen said:

The stereotype "cheapquinox" wasn't invented by me, nor Trump. I can tell you my GM loving in-laws traded that one in and didn't like it. The GM fans are rather forgiving, I just stay away, far away.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    stickguy said:

and the Audi probably needed nothing. Take it in, detail it, put it on the lot, sell at that price, and make a quick $2K profit.

Correct, the Audi didn't need anything, but that still seems like a slim profit.

They also accepted the car with the winter wheel set - they are OEM Audi wheels, but I know for a fact the dealership group where I leased the Volvo wanted the stock S-line wheels on it. I should be able to net another $500 or so out of the extra wheels set, so that's nice.

Michaell said:

breld said:

That's sharp looking. Size of your V90, eh?
    The 2 year lease could work out well with these new EVs coming out.

Re the Equinox — tell us again why you still have this vehicle?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    tjc78 said:

No it was brand new. I’ve actually never gotten 3 years out of any phone.

Sorry. I meant @Sandman6472
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    breld said:

Hideous wheels, but otherwise a pleasant concept. Hopefully they translate much if not all of that interior into a production model. The inside looks quite nice.
    breld said:

stickguy said:

Correct, the Audi didn't need anything, but that still seems like a slim profit.

They also accepted the car with the winter wheel set - they are OEM Audi wheels, but I know for a fact the dealership group where I leased the Volvo wanted the stock S-line wheels on it. I should be able to net another $500 or so out of the extra wheels set, so that's nice.
    You could call up the dealer and offer to sell the set to them! I'm sure it will work out to a substantial savings over a new OEM set, even at dealer wholesale.
    If the noise bothers you, turn the radio up. Unless you want to actually figure out if the noise actually matters.

or of course, unload it.

Breld, that Kia is just like the new Hyundai Venue coming out. Funny, I stopped by the local Kia store today to pick up a check for my boss and was talking to a sales guy outside. He wanted to sell me something as he came up to me as I was looking at a new Soul outside. I mentioned that I'm anxiously awaiting the new Hyundai Venue and he told me to just wait. His store manager just got back from somewhere in Colorado where they were introduced to a new small CUV, but he couldn't tell me the name. He said "it'll blow your socks off "as it's like a mini Telluride. Gave me his card and told me that he'll call me when they start arriving. old him I'm gonna want the top of the line with all the safety and audio stuff as it's gonna be a belated 65th birthday present.
    So, when I just saw your post, I was interested and logged into Car and Driver. And up top of the page, there it was! I just emailed him to tell him the name of it as he just said it started with an "S". Coming some time in the spring. Pricing for the top model will probably be in the high 20's but, if it's that good, might just do it! Of course, have to see it in person and drive it first, play with the interior. But if it's like the Golf was on my initial test drive, I'll know within 5 or so minutes if I'm gonna buy it. With the Golf, about four minutes in, told myself that this is it, maybe not this week, maybe not next, but I've found my next vehicle.
    And hoping things go the same way with this new Kia, or even the Hyundai Venue. I'll know pretty quickly that it's going to be in my garage shortly!

edited November 2019
    Cell phone working like new again, it even says the name of the caller if they're in my contacts, something it never did before. Whatever, as long as it works like it does now, I'm good. Hopefully I'll keep this XR longer than a year, maybe even two. But with sites like OfferUp, if I can find a decent price for a new iPhone soon after it comes out, I'll just do it!
    I've had a week to think it all over, and after talking with the wife last night, going to go through and sign up with The Neptune Society and have my final wishes taken care of. All the family will need to pay for is the county medical examiners sign off on the death certificate as have no clue whether we'll still be living in South Florida, Central Florida or even North Carolina when the end comes. 99% of things will be paid already, and they come pick up the body within a 90 minute to two hour time frame. Then it'll already be spelled out what my final wishes are. No fuss, no muss.
    I think the subject of dying scares a lot of people so they never have this conversation, ever. After I got deathly ill last year, I am no longer scared of death...it's just part of living. But since I will not stand being buried in a box underground, I'm doing the planning my way. My wife and oldest will know what I want and what will be done well, once I'm gone! Even though it's not required, I'm planning on leaving the three kids something, have no clue what amount that will be, but it'll be substantial enough for them to have some fun! Just like what my dad and grandma left me, wasn't a whole lot but enough for me to buy a new vehicle and invest in the stock market. It came at a tough time in my life and it gave me some much needed confidence when I really needed it. Personally, I think people feel better and act more positive when they have money in the bank or in other investments. Just knowing I don't have to ask anyone else if I want to buy something or hell, just leave it for the three kids. Trust me, when the time comes, they'll be thanking me where ever I am!