Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Renewable and Recycled Materials Help Make Cars Green | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in General
imageRenewable and Recycled Materials Help Make Cars Green | Edmunds.com

Going green is more than a slogan to most automakers, who put recycled and sustainable natural materials in cars. Think soybeans and denim.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Cows are renewable. Use more leather.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    Yep, there's nothing like a tannery to get that electric-blue color. Unfortunately that's the color of the river the waste gets dumped into, not the car color. :p (Utne).

Every little bit helps but "green car" is a big oxymoron. Ain't no free lunch.

Now pardon me while I hop in my two-ton minivan and cruise down to the 7/11 by myself to pick up a loaf of bread. B)
  • Options
    BlueRidgeHempBlueRidgeHemp Member Posts: 1
    Hemp?
  • Options
    JeanaBeanaJeanaBeana Member Posts: 1

Oh yeah, it's a lovely idea. Pssssh. I owned a 2020 Hyundai Palisade SEL. It turned out to be a meal on wheels. In 30-years of car ownership, it was the first to ever be eaten by rodents while safely parked in my garage! While in the service department at my Hyundai dealer, another Palisade was in the service bay with mine and they were facing a whopping $18k in rodent damage. The photos were soul shattering. People have been suing these manufacturers since 2016 as a result of these "meals on wheels". The only builds that make sense are those made of RECYCLED materials! Humans eat soy, sugarcane, corn, and beans! It stands to reason other animals would, too! So, it looks like my days of buying new are behind me. I don't want to drive around in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315

Oh yeah, it's a lovely idea. Pssssh. I owned a 2020 Hyundai Palisade SEL. It turned out to be a meal on wheels. In 30-years of car ownership, it was the first to ever be eaten by rodents while safely parked in my garage! While in the service department at my Hyundai dealer, another Palisade was in the service bay with mine and they were facing a whopping $18k in rodent damage. The photos were soul shattering. People have been suing these manufacturers since 2016 as a result of these "meals on wheels". The only builds that make sense are those made of RECYCLED materials! Humans eat soy, sugarcane, corn, and beans! It stands to reason other animals would, too! So, it looks like my days of buying new are behind me. I don't want to drive around in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My step-son and his wife bought a new Hyundai Tucson a year or two back. Same thing - rodents got into the engine bay and ate up a lot of the wiring. Of course, not covered under warranty. They were not pleased.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4